PDA

View Full Version : The ESPN fantasy playoffs-OU in finals!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/14/2007, 01:48 AM
Corso and herbstreit have us playing the suc for the NC in the fantasy NCAA playoff that ESPN is having. (When we bring our "A" game, we impress the he*l out of everybody)

Leroy Lizard
12/14/2007, 02:01 AM
Your post is sarcastic, right?

12/14/2007, 02:08 AM
If by that you mean there's another thread on this, I didn't see it. Sorry!

Leroy Lizard
12/14/2007, 02:18 AM
No, I mean "Gee, I am really excited about us winning a computer poll!"

pott_2
12/14/2007, 02:39 AM
No, I mean "Gee, I am really excited about us winning a computer poll!"

Computer poll= BCS (I would love to win)

SoonerStormchaser
12/14/2007, 09:05 AM
And just like on CNN/SI, we're going to lose to SC cause everyone still sucks their collective jocks!

Youngsooner
12/14/2007, 10:44 AM
Well its something to watch until the bowl games, no matter how pointless it is. but since USC is "the best team in the country" you think they'll choose OU to win the playoffs?

19 days 10 hours and 16 minutes until the fiesta bowl...

The Maestro
12/14/2007, 10:46 AM
Well, I have us beating the 1972 of 73 Miami Dolphins...the unbeaten one's...in my fantasy world!

Yeah, sick of these "we've got nothing better to talk about" dream scenario polls.

Lott's Bandana
12/14/2007, 10:51 AM
Cut and paste:

"Simply a way for ABC/ESPN to keep suc, and their NFL-less, #2 media market, in their programming - assuring them that precious pre-season #1 spot..."

RedstickSooner
12/14/2007, 02:26 PM
Dude. The university of spoiled children doesn't have nearly enough of a fanbase for ESPN do to diddly-squat for them.

Even the ACC / Big East manages to drum up more TV interest in games than the left coast. (Edit: I'm talking out my arse on this. But it sure *feels* true. Anyone know the real ratings numbers?)

SUC is drumming up a *bit* of interest -- but that's all due to bandwagon fans starting to swarm out of the woodwork because they smell success on the wind.

It's easy to cheer for a team that never loses.

The real reason why ESPN is doing all this fantasy crap is the gargantuan lull between the final games of the season, and the first bowl games of the season.

It's obnoxious that we have to wait for the 20th before we get *any* college football, and even then, it's the Credit Union bowl. How does the San Diego Credit Union sponsor a bowl game, anyhow? Riddle me that, batman. Isn't the point of sponsoring a bowl game the national exposure it gets you? Is the San Diego Credit Union *really* some regional banking powerhouse I'm simply unfamiliar with?

Anyway. They gotta do something to fill the minutes on-air. Obviously, this stuff wouldn't fly after the college season truly ends (which is when most of us fans go into hibernation) so they do it now, while we're all primed with CFB lust -- but have no real outlet for it.

The whole damned month of December should be full of bowl games. Bunching 'em up there at the end is such a tragic waste of perfectly good football joy.

12/14/2007, 03:10 PM
The real reason why ESPN is doing all this fantasy crap is the gargantuan lull between the final games of the season, and the first bowl games of the season.

The whole damned month of December should be full of bowl games. Bunching 'em up there at the end is such a tragic waste of perfectly good football joy.AMEN! Since we aren't going to have ACTUAL playoffs, your suggestion with the scheduling of the bowls would be the next best thing.

Curly Bill
12/14/2007, 03:11 PM
I thought Herbie was just a shill for tosu?

...and ESPN putting OU in there when I thought they were anti-OU?

:confused:

silverwheels
12/14/2007, 03:13 PM
I thought Herbie was just a shill for tosu?

He had a pretty pained look on his face when he was doing his analysis. Looked and sounded like his dog died when he picked OU to beat the Buckeyes. :D

arcman46
12/14/2007, 03:45 PM
He had a pretty pained look on his face when he was doing his analysis. Looked and sounded like his dog died when he picked OU to beat the Buckeyes. :D

Maybe he realized that he should have kept his trap shut about how "LSUc and tOSU should be in the NCG" and how the "BCS got it right".

MextheBulldog
12/14/2007, 04:47 PM
BTW, they just wrapped it up. The fans/masses/public chose SUC. :mad:

silverwheels
12/14/2007, 04:49 PM
Don't understand the love affair with USC this season. Booty is average and the WRs aren't as good as we've been used to seeing from them recently, except for Hazelton. Johnson is the only one of their 9 RBs that looked good consistently.

Youngsooner
12/14/2007, 04:57 PM
Don't understand the love affair with USC this season. Booty is average and the WRs aren't as good as we've been used to seeing from them recently, except for Hazelton. Johnson is the only one of their 9 RBs that looked good consistently.

I agree. I don't even see a signature game they won that impressed me. Yeah they beat Arizona State by alot but... I honestly didn't see Arizona State as a REALLY good team, I dunno, USC was the preseason favorite, looks like they will be next year too.

Come on Illinois!

12/14/2007, 06:15 PM
Come on Illinois!I would LMFAO for sure, if they could do it.

Fiatil
12/14/2007, 06:40 PM
So uhh, we just won the ESPN playoff thing. Do we still get to complain about how much ESPN hates us?

mdklatt
12/14/2007, 07:13 PM
If we were Bama we'd be paintin' that bitch on the stadium as soon as the weather cleared.

Youngsooner
12/14/2007, 10:30 PM
So uhh, we just won the ESPN playoff thing. Do we still get to complain about how much ESPN hates us?

Nah... I'm content:P

Lott's Bandana
12/15/2007, 02:47 AM
Dude. The university of spoiled children doesn't have nearly enough of a fanbase for ESPN do to diddly-squat for them.

Even the ACC / Big East manages to drum up more TV interest in games than the left coast. (Edit: I'm talking out my arse on this. But it sure *feels* true. Anyone know the real ratings numbers?)

SUC is drumming up a *bit* of interest -- but that's all due to bandwagon fans starting to swarm out of the woodwork because they smell success on the wind.

Bro, the fanbase at suc is not near the size of many other schools, I grant you this. However, the average joe sports fan in a city of SIXTEEN MILLION will pay attention to suc just because of teh geographic connection. As I stated in another thread, there isn't 16M people in the combined states of OK, KS and AR...not even close! Without an NFL team, with the exception of an even smaller UCLA fanbase, every casual sportsfan in Californie is a suc fan. College sports interest is extremely localized in CA and, since 2003, suc represents California, North and South, to those that really kinda don't care. Believe me, I am an Okiefornian and lived through this bandwagon cultivation. Remember, bandwagoning in a state of 40 million creates a much more impressive ratio than, for instance, bandwagoning KU fans just did in their 'deserted' state.

Finally, there is the Yankees/Red Sox/Notre Dame/Lakers syndrome that ESPN has found so successful. In the past 6-8 years, they have successfully force fed these teams to us to the point where we either love 'em or hate 'em but we don't ignore them! suc gets the same royal treatment, again, simply because of their 16,000,000 soul foundation.

suc has been involved in the last several highest rated games in college football, including the Rose Bowl loss to Texas (27.1), the '06 Rose Bowl v. Mish (14.8) and last year's regular season game with the other ratings favorite, Charlie's Kids (9.1).

(interestingly enough, the Mizz/KU [6.57] AND the OU/Mizz CCG [6.64] both outrated the tOSU/Mish game [5.0] this year...as well as LSU/FL, suc/Nebbish and LSU/Tennessee games. The TV execs were very surprised and expect to see some knee-jerk responses to this development. -Kansas City Star)

TXBOOMER
12/15/2007, 09:06 AM
Well, I have us beating the 1972 of 73 Miami Dolphins...the unbeaten one's...in my fantasy world!

Yeah, sick of these "we've got nothing better to talk about" dream scenario polls.

Our superior, bigger, stronger, faster athletes with more complex schemes would absolutely beat the holy f out of that undefeated dolphin team.

Ever
12/16/2007, 12:10 AM
OU 2007 ESPN Pretend National Title Winners!

We imaginably beat Georgia, OSU, and USC!

There's a frickin' feather in our cap...

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2007, 11:52 AM
Our superior, bigger, stronger, faster athletes with more complex schemes would absolutely beat the holy f out of that undefeated dolphin team.

You know, I have been thinking about this statement. Interesting concept.

The only "wild card" in the equation is Larry Csonka. I think he would be tough for our defense to hold back. Otherwise, I think our offensive schemes would baffle the Fins defense. Compared to now, even NFL offenses back then were very basic.

Paul Warfield might be another 'wild card', but our guys are damn fast.

Thanks Boomer...that was good brain exercise...:D