PDA

View Full Version : Unsung Heroes in Sooner Lore

Leroy Lizard
12/14/2007, 01:07 AM
Since we're sort of on the subject, which player do you think received undeserved criticism -- a player that was better than people (including the media and coaching staff) gave him credit -- or was better than most remember?

My votes:

1. Rotnei Anderson. His ability to bust through the Nebraska line was a big factor in our ability to win the Game of the Century II. But all we remember are the fumbles. If he had started against Miami in 1987, we might have won. He was tougher to tackle than Carr and quicker to the hole. I know that he made the Nebraska D nervous as Hell, which caused them to migrate towards the center to stop him, opening up the outside game.

2. Kelly Phelps. I only saw him play live once against USC, but he was impressive in that game. Very fast and ran the 'bone pretty well in that game. Sooner fans tend to talk pretty bad about him, but I thought he was a better QB than most think.

3. Eric Mitchell. Not a real leader, but a solid player who helped the Sooners in any way he could. Overshadowed by Holieway, but a solid contributor.

4. Marcus Dupree. Sure, he didn't pan out. But he could have played for anyone and he chose to go to OU. While he was here he, more than any single player, saved the Sooners from mediocrity. I don't think he deserves as much criticism as he gets. He simply wasn't cut out for playing for college football -- no shame in that.

5. Carl (or was it Chris?) Cabbiness. During the 1986 season, he was the clutch player who made big first downs on great catches. Not great statistically, but if the chips were down you could bank on him hauling in the catch. One of the best possession receivers we have ever had.

6. Steve Collins. An unselfish backup to Cale Gundy that should have started. Although popular with the fans, he was a far better QB than most people (especially the coaching staff) credited him. One of the slickest ball-handlers in the option game, he could move the chains, but was never given the time to develop as QB.

7. Steve Davis. 31-1-1.

8. Freddie Nixon. Remember him? He should be talked about more than he is. Great player.

9. Sam Rayburn. Again, a solid player that is largely forgotten.

10 Offensive Coordinator Barry Switzer. Although everyone knows his head coaching reputation, he was one of the greatest offensive coordinators to ever coach the game.

The_Red_Patriot
12/14/2007, 10:06 AM
John Blake as far as the talent he brought?

He is still a moron but the guy can recruit

soonerinabilene
12/14/2007, 10:24 AM
Not to rehash something thats been talked about ad nauseum on here, but Nate Hybl is very underappreciated by some...

The Maestro
12/14/2007, 10:32 AM
Well, if you are going with the undeserved criticism thing, I don't recall Eric Mitchel or the Cabiness boys--either one of them--receiving criticism. Steve Davis was probably the leader in that category. Phelps was okay, but just not as talented as those before and after him.

Unsung heroes is another story altogether. Some of the defensive stars from the Blake years where the team had no offense to speak of were pretty talented and underappreciated...especially when Rex Ryan was on campus. Those guys tried and tried, but somehow they could not manage to play 40 minutes a game on the field.

Lott's Bandana
12/14/2007, 10:45 AM
Steve Davis - he was like Neil Armstrong to Jack Mildren's Alan Shepard.

I'd love to see SD on one of the stadium intro videos...wonder if a email campaign would work?

"There's only one, Steve Davis"
"There's only one, Sam Bradford"

As far as criticism? He caught hell (pun intended) for being an "ordained Baptist minister" during his playing days. Hard to criticize his actual play on the field, 'cept for that long, sad day when KU came to town...

jkjsooner
12/14/2007, 10:52 AM
Well, if you are going with the undeserved criticism thing, I don't recall Eric Mitchel or the Cabiness boys--either one of them--receiving criticism. Steve Davis was probably the leader in that category. Phelps was okay, but just not as talented as those before and after him.

Unsung heroes is another story altogether. Some of the defensive stars from the Blake years where the team had no offense to speak of were pretty talented and underappreciated...especially when Rex Ryan was on campus. Those guys tried and tried, but somehow they could not manage to play 40 minutes a game on the field.

I agree. This makes me thing of Kelly Gregg - who ironically is one of the most underrated NFL players.

It's sad that some really good players from the Blake years will be forgotten whereas some lesser players from the Stoops years will be idolized. Some of those guys just happened to be born a few years too early...

1stTimeCaller
12/14/2007, 10:59 AM
i'd like to hear about him.
I have no idea who he is or when he played at OU.

oupride
12/14/2007, 11:13 AM
Elvis Peacock
Buster Rhymes

dog-knee
12/14/2007, 11:35 AM
Tinker Owens.

How does an undersized, too-slow receiver in a wishbone offence even get mentioned for All-American honors? He only averaged around one catch per game, and still got drafted by New Orleans.

Seems like Tinker's problem had to do not only with being overshadowed by guys like Joe Washington, but he also suffered a little in comparison with his big brother -- some guy named Steve. Seems like I remember Steve playing a little football for the Sooners, too.

Breadburner
12/14/2007, 11:56 AM
I'm the same on Gregg And Owens....Tinker made some great catches in the 76 Orange Bowl against Michigan.....Gregg always did his job and did it well....

The Maestro
12/14/2007, 12:03 PM
Hell, throw Eric Bross in there. One of the best blocking receivers ever. He was on the field cause the option needed good blocking receivers on the end. He knew he would hardly get any catches, but he did a great job blocking corners and safeties.

47Wins
12/14/2007, 12:19 PM
Some coaches too, Bobby Proctor defensive secondary coach. The players were more afraid of him then of the other team. He made Venables look sane. Players, I have to second the nomination of Steve Collins. If anyone ever took one for the team it was him. Put into unwinnable situations, given offensive schemes he wasn't cut out for and held his head up the whole time. Also Bruce McClure from Tahlequah, he was there during the black times and never quit, even in the Weiser-lock Copper Bowl.

Desert Sapper
12/14/2007, 01:05 PM
I agree. This makes me thing of Kelly Gregg - who ironically is one of the most underrated NFL players.

It's sad that some really good players from the Blake years will be forgotten whereas some lesser players from the Stoops years will be idolized. Some of those guys just happened to be born a few years too early...

I agree with both of you.

Kelly Gregg
Tyrell Peters
Travian Smith
Ontei Jones
Martin Chase
Gana Joseph
Rodney Rideau
Mike and Pee Wee Woods

Those guys would have benefitted immensely from coming a couple years later.

Not to mention the offensive studs that basically got ****ed on by Blake:

Namely,

Demond Parker
Brandon Daniels
Jarrail Jackson

Hell, even Stephen Alexander didn't really get the accolades he would have on a Stoops team.

Very unfortunate effects of a very negative time in our proud Sooner history.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/14/2007, 01:45 PM
Kelly Phelps?

He easily was the worst in the Switzer era and perhaps one of the worst QB's to ever play under center at OU. He was a turnover machine. I might even rank a Justin Fuente or Patrick Fletcher over him.

Yes... he was that bad.

RoaminSooner
12/14/2007, 02:06 PM
I would actually disagree about Gregg, because he was a dominant player in the trenches. I think that was recognized by fans and media alike.

From the 90's I liked Juwann (sp) Penny and I remember "Thunder" or was it Moore? having a monsterous game against Pat Jones and the Orangebloods. I think that was in the Gibbs years.

Sooner24
12/14/2007, 02:42 PM
I agree with both of you.

Kelly Gregg
Tyrell Peters
Travian Smith
Ontei Jones
Martin Chase
Gana Joseph
Rodney Rideau
Mike and Pee Wee Woods

Those guys would have benefitted immensely from coming a couple years later.

Not to mention the offensive studs that basically got ****ed on by Blake:

Namely,

Demond Parker
Brandon Daniels
Jarrail Jackson

Hell, even Stephen Alexander didn't really get the accolades he would have on a Stoops team.

Very unfortunate effects of a very negative time in our proud Sooner history.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The Maestro
12/14/2007, 02:53 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Agreed...Pee Wee Woods made William Shankle look like Deion Sanders.

Desert Sapper
12/14/2007, 02:59 PM
I would actually disagree about Gregg, because he was a dominant player in the trenches. I think that was recognized by fans and media alike.

He would have been an All American if he played for Stoops.

Same with Tyrell Peters and Stephen Alexander.

As it stands, our only two AA in the '90s were Joe Bowden and Cedric Jones.

Desert Sapper
12/14/2007, 03:00 PM
Agreed...Pee Wee Woods made William Shankle look like Deion Sanders.

But with Stoops' coaching...:D

I was wondering how long it would take...turns out not so long.

sooner59
12/14/2007, 03:16 PM
I know this sounds odd, but Renaldo Works. His run was the reason we won that Alabama game. He also had a nice run in the NC game.

Leroy Lizard
12/14/2007, 04:32 PM
I had forgotten all about Brandon Daniels. If he had played for a good team, he would have been a Heisman contender. As it stood, he endured having to learn one position after another.

stoopified
12/14/2007, 05:21 PM
Steve Rhodes-clutch WR.Derrick Shephard-great WR/KR.As for Steve Collins,he is a great gut but not a better QB than Cale.Cale was underutilized by Gibbs who seldom turned him loose.The only three games I can recall Cale being turned loose he burned TT,VT,and Virginia.If Gibbs had used him more against UT for instance we could have been 3-1 .(with Cale)vs. the Horns instead of 1-3.Cale is the most underratted passing QB in OU history.

Partial Qualifier
12/14/2007, 05:29 PM
Mike and Pee Wee Woods

When I read the title, Mike Woods was the first name to pop in my head. Dude was an absolute stud, the cliche is overused but he was a true "shutdown corner". Teams just didn't throw his direction. Ever. He faded into Sooner obscurity on accounta being on some of the worst Sooner teams ever...

PLaw
12/14/2007, 06:01 PM
Defense primarily from the 80's
Sonny Brown
Brian Hall
Paul Migliazzo
Jim Rockford

Offense
Joe Jon
Alvin Ross
Freddy Nixon

PLaw
12/14/2007, 06:01 PM
Defense primarily from the 80's
Sonny Brown
Brian Hall
Paul Migliazzo
Jim Rockford

Offense
Joe Jon
Alvin Ross
Freddy Nixon

German Corner
12/14/2007, 07:31 PM
1. Justin Fuente '96

2. Dave Robertson '72

3. Tinker Owens '75

4. Steve Davis '75

5. Steve Rhodes '80

6. Mike Babb '79

7. Demond Parker '96

8. Travian Smith '97

9. Billy Brooks '74

10. Carl Cabbiness '87

German Corner
12/14/2007, 07:32 PM
If there was a #11 it would be John Carrol '72

Howzit
12/14/2007, 07:51 PM
Earl Johnson

XingTheRubicon
12/14/2007, 08:27 PM
Lance Rentzel

partially his fault

AlbqSooner
12/14/2007, 08:50 PM
Some of you guys are either too young, or using a different definition of "unsung" than I am. Tinker Owens was very "sung" on those teams. Remember, this was the wishbone, and he still made All American at wide receiver. His freshman year he caught 5 passes including the winning TD against Nebbish, and caught another 5 including a TD against Penn State in the Sugar Bowl. I think it was his sophomore year he caught an 84 yard halfback pass from Little Joe in the Texas game. Guy was a stud receiver and was FULLY recognized as such at the time.

Jacie
12/14/2007, 09:36 PM
I agree about Tinker (OUr T.O.) getting plenty of recognition during his playing days. My favorite unsung is a guy who played when I was in school, Ralph (Big Ralphie) Kulbeth. Among O-linemen of that day, guys like Steve Brahaney and John Roush were the names that people heard on the radio. Ralph played at center as OUr deep snapper. Both Ralph and Tinker are frat brothers of mine. A slight altercation atwixt Ralph and another frat brother during a party gave rise to the line, "Watch out for flying couches."

Leroy Lizard
12/14/2007, 10:11 PM
but not a better QB than Cale

I have to fully disagree. Cale had no head for the game and panicked at the first sight of trouble. That INT he threw to a Nebraska LB had to be one of the lamest I have ever seen. Just lobbed it right to him. He almost single-handedly buried us against USC.

One of the best OU offenses we had during the 1980s was led by Collins the year before he turned the reins over to Cale. The team quickly sank after that. Remember how Collins' offense destroyed Missouri, only to see Cale's offense tie OSU the following week? If Collins starts against OSU, we win that game and I think by a large margin.

76soonergrad
12/14/2007, 10:21 PM
Tinker was on the cover of SI the week after that '73 Texas game.

Dave Robertson, 1972 was unsung. I think he only quarterbacked one year. Buster Rhymes also. We have had of oustanding players who did not play in the NFL. With the wishbone, they were interchangeable parts.

Sooner70
12/15/2007, 11:13 AM
For sure on Blevins. I recall the '76 Nebraska game, with third & 19 on the NU 34 with time running out, Lott comes out & in comes Blevins (why? everybody wondered) & he flipped a pass to Rhodes who lateraled to trailing Elvis Peacock to the NU 2, & the Sooners went on in to score, winning 20-17. I think that was the only play Blevins came in for the whole game.

Remember "Little Lee Hover"? A 5'8" 157 lb. split end. One of his best games was the '76 California game where he hauled in a 65 yarder & also "caught" a Blevins fumble in mid-air & rambled 58 yards to complete a 71 yard scoring play. OU went on to win 28-17.

VMG
12/15/2007, 12:11 PM
Some of you guys are either too young, or using a different definition of "unsung" than I am. Tinker Owens was very "sung" on those teams. Remember, this was the wishbone, and he still made All American at wide receiver. His freshman year he caught 5 passes including the winning TD against Nebbish, and caught another 5 including a TD against Penn State in the Sugar Bowl. I think it was his sophomore year he caught an 84 yard halfback pass from Little Joe in the Texas game. Guy was a stud receiver and was FULLY recognized as such at the time.

Same for Steve Davis -- the "ordained..." thing was a badge of honor. He was much in demand as a speaker all over the state.

soonernija
12/15/2007, 02:55 PM
Donte Nicholson

Desert Sapper
12/15/2007, 03:01 PM
Wow. Somebody negged me for Pee Wee. Heh. Didn't think anybody cared that much. Why all the hate for lil man? ;)

Brandon Daniels wasn't much of a QB, but that guy would have been awesome if we kept him in the secondary. And that is no joke.

King Crimson
12/15/2007, 03:08 PM
concur with stoopified on Steve Rhodes.

Danny Bradley, people forget he was All-Conference....we just weren't as good across the board at every position as the previous teams and those to follow. also, a lot of assistant coach shuffling on the O side in the early 80's.

not sure if i'd agree about Bobby Proctor. anytime we played someone who could throw it down the field there was a chance they'd light us up. Miami, Stanford, WVU, etc. in that sense, i think our staff wasn't really prepared for the changes taking place in the game. the Okie 5-2 was great, for people who wanted to line up and run...but, with a guy who can make a lot of throws to different parts of the field...i dunno.

though, i admit my perception of Proctor is colored by hearing my pops yell his name preceded and followed by a variety of expletives at almost every home game.

Doged
12/15/2007, 06:01 PM
I always liked Steve Sewell, but I don't know how "unsung" he was. I know he didn't get the mention most of the other RBs were getting, but he was drafted pretty high I think and played 3 or 4 years for Denver.

King Crimson
12/16/2007, 12:45 AM
I always liked Steve Sewell, but I don't know how "unsung" he was. I know he didn't get the mention most of the other RBs were getting, but he was drafted pretty high I think and played 3 or 4 years for Denver.

i think he played for the Broncos longer than that. he's really well loved around Denver as a great former Bronco and quality human being.

Salt City Sooner
12/16/2007, 01:50 AM
Sewell played 7 years for Denver, & was in their front office for a while (something along the lines of community relations, IIRC).

The first player I thought of when I saw the title of this thread was Scott Evans. 3 time all conference, but yet you almost never hear a peep about him from OU fans. #2 would be Joe Bowden. 2 time all conference, & was the only AA OU had from '89 to '94.

sozo
12/16/2007, 11:22 AM
Woody Sheppard,if for nothing else that cold day in Lincoln.
Mike Gaddis
Forrest Valora
Richard Dillion

King Crimson
12/16/2007, 11:37 AM
Greg Roberts, won the Outland and paved the way for Sims. but, you don't hear people talk much about him.

Thomas Benson. he and Shipp were pretty stout lb core. maybe not Bosworth/D. Jones, Hunt/Cumby, Shoate/Elrod....

Kevin Murphy, the quintessential stand-up DE in the Okie 5-2

Dante Jones, took an NFL paycheck and played for several years with the Bears.

Lott's Bandana
12/16/2007, 11:40 AM
Same for Steve Davis -- the "ordained..." thing was a badge of honor. He was much in demand as a speaker all over the state.

Perhaps.

But in an environment now where we bring the players onto the field with "There's Only One Oklahoma", I think a guy that was 31-1-1 and led his team to 2 MNC's should be a part of this embracing of tradition.

Haven't seen SD in years.

German Corner
12/16/2007, 12:46 PM
Good call Mr. Zoso.

German Corner
12/16/2007, 12:55 PM
I've forgotton about Reggie Barnes who made one of the best and most replayed hits on the nebraska rb at home in 1990, happened right in front of me.

I mentioned this guy earlier but one of my favorite players and qualifies for the 'one of the most unsung' was Carl Cabbiness.
He made two of the most difficult catches ever in OU history.
1986 against nebraska there, clutch catch on the late drive to tie the game.

The other was a year later same place about 3rd quarter, fantastic catch over the top of a defender. The catch was made but unfortunately called no good because he was pushed out of bounds late in the rout before the catch.
But a great catch. Carl Cabbiness.

85Sooner
12/16/2007, 04:48 PM
Kelly Phelps?

He easily was the worst in the Switzer era and perhaps one of the worst QB's to ever play under center at OU. He was a turnover machine. I might even rank a Justin Fuente or Patrick Fletcher over him.

Yes... he was that bad.

Dittos to that

richsooner
12/16/2007, 09:18 PM
On a similar note, but on the flip side of the subject. Ran into Billy at the mall in Tulsa Sun afternoon signing autographs at an OU merchandise table. Treated me like a long lost friend and we had a nice long conversation about the past. Same Billy, Same big grin, Same warm handshake, GREAT memories, makes you even more proud to be a Sooner....

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2007, 12:12 PM
Cory Ivey

soonerspudman
12/17/2007, 07:07 PM
Some coaches too, Bobby Proctor defensive secondary coach. The players were more afraid of him then of the other team. He made Venables look sane. Players, I have to second the nomination of Steve Collins. If anyone ever took one for the team it was him. Put into unwinnable situations, given offensive schemes he wasn't cut out for and held his head up the whole time. Also Bruce McClure from Tahlequah, he was there during the black times and never quit, even in the Weiser-lock Copper Bowl.

Had to laugh, I remember in the early 80's in the loss to WV Procter literally pulled Keith Stanbury off the field by his facemask. Our DBs were lost that day...

soonerspudman
12/17/2007, 07:14 PM
Ricky Bryan

Good run while he played but his name rarely comes up. Switzer used to lump Bryan in with the likes of Leroy Selmon, not sure what happened to him...?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2007, 07:40 PM
Ricky Bryan

Good run while he played but his name rarely comes up. Switzer used to lump Bryan in with the likes of Leroy Selmon, not sure what happened to him...?

He is my pastor's cousin and I met him when I preached my pastor's mother's funeral last christmas.

He was drafted number 8 in the 1st round by the Falcons signing at the time the biggest contract ever for a DL...After suffering from many injuries, he played his last game on a Monday night, being carried off the field.(He told me while they were taking him off the field that night he knew his career was over, so he begged them to let him play one more play.)

He lives in Coweta. Has a pretty good size ranch up there. He was helping some with the Coweta football team when his son was there, who ended up at TU. I dont think he continued after his boy graduated.

I do know that him and Jackie Shipp are not on good terms and he thinks that has some to do with his son not getting a look from OU.

I don't know that you ever see Ricky around Norman on gameday because of the bad feelings.

soonerspudman
12/17/2007, 07:59 PM
He is my pastor's cousin and I met him when I preached my pastor's mother's funeral last christmas.

He was drafted number 8 in the 1st round by the Falcons signing at the time the biggest contract ever for a DL...After suffering from many injuries, he played his last game on a Monday night, being carried off the field.(He told me while they were taking him off the field that night he knew his career was over, so he begged them to let him play one more play.)

He lives in Coweta. Has a pretty good size ranch up there. He was helping some with the Coweta football team when his son was there, who ended up at TU. I dont think he continued after his boy graduated.

I do know that him and Jackie Shipp are not on good terms and he thinks that has some to do with his son not getting a look from OU.

I don't know that you ever see Ricky around Norman on gameday because of the bad feelings.

Thanks so much for the update, he was a good one...

Cam
12/17/2007, 09:20 PM
Eric Pope: One of the Captain's of the 85 NC team. Also one of the nicest dudes you'll ever meet.

Lashar brothers, Tim Duncan: Too many forget how important the kicking game is.

BarryBnds
12/17/2007, 09:22 PM
Eric Pope: One of the Captain's of the 85 NC team. Also one of the nicest dudes you'll ever meet.

Lashar brothers, Tim Duncan: Too many forget how important the kicking game is.

The Ferguson boys weren't bad either. 7 years combined wasn't it?

olevetonahill
12/17/2007, 09:26 PM
Spencer Tillman
Most where Hurt , He came in and Ran and caught Passes .
Nuff said
I think it was 78 ;)

bluedogok
12/17/2007, 11:04 PM
He would have been an All American if he played for Stoops.

Same with Tyrell Peters and Stephen Alexander.

As it stands, our only two AA in the '90s were Joe Bowden and Cedric Jones.
Bowden had some great hair :D

How about Bud Hebert and Scott Hill just for his shot on Dorsett.

Jdog
12/17/2007, 11:47 PM
What about Aikman - He's never mentioned because of what he did at UCLA,(and the fact that OU had him running the wishbone). I think he started the first 4 games for the NC 85 team. Even had a long touchdown called back on a holding call just before he broke his leg.

tulsaoilerfan
12/18/2007, 12:00 AM
Had to laugh, I remember in the early 80's in the loss to WV Procter literally pulled Keith Stanbury off the field by his facemask. Our DBs were lost that day...
Damn, i didn't think Stanberry was there in 82 but he sure was; he could have played in the NFL if not for the tragic car accident with Andre Johnson

VMG
12/18/2007, 08:49 AM
Perhaps.

But in an environment now where we bring the players onto the field with "There's Only One Oklahoma", I think a guy that was 31-1-1 and led his team to 2 MNC's should be a part of this embracing of tradition.

Haven't seen SD in years.

Not sure what your point is given that Steve was (deservedly) very "sung" in his day. More recently he was part of the group featured in one of the Sooner Legends DVDs. The fact that many older notables aren't more prominently visible these days is often by their own choice.

Desert Sapper
12/18/2007, 09:08 AM

Man, that sucks. Rick was a beast at OU. I would love to see him back. He may have been on some of Barry's worst teams, but he was amazing. I feel blessed to have seen him play.

I started the wikipedia article on him last year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Bryan

His stats and his high school years need some work, for any interested party.

devOUt
12/18/2007, 09:26 AM
Damon Stell. He was a great blocker and solid special teams player. Threw a great block on Keith Jackson's TD reception in the Orange Bowl. Unfortunately for Damon, he was on an OU team that was loaded with running backs.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/18/2007, 10:02 AM
Since we're sort of on the subject, which player do you think received undeserved criticism -- a player that was better than people (including the media and coaching staff) gave him credit -- or was better than most remember?

My votes:

1. Rotnei Anderson. His ability to bust through the Nebraska line was a big factor in our ability to win the Game of the Century II. But all we remember are the fumbles. If he had started against Miami in 1987, we might have won. He was tougher to tackle than Carr and quicker to the hole. I know that he made the Nebraska D nervous as Hell, which caused them to migrate towards the center to stop him, opening up the outside game.

2. Kelly Phelps. I only saw him play live once against USC, but he was impressive in that game. Very fast and ran the 'bone pretty well in that game. Sooner fans tend to talk pretty bad about him, but I thought he was a better QB than most think.

3. Eric Mitchell. Not a real leader, but a solid player who helped the Sooners in any way he could. Overshadowed by Holieway, but a solid contributor.

4. Marcus Dupree. Sure, he didn't pan out. But he could have played for anyone and he chose to go to OU. While he was here he, more than any single player, saved the Sooners from mediocrity. I don't think he deserves as much criticism as he gets. He simply wasn't cut out for playing for college football -- no shame in that.

5. Carl (or was it Chris?) Cabbiness. During the 1986 season, he was the clutch player who made big first downs on great catches. Not great statistically, but if the chips were down you could bank on him hauling in the catch. One of the best possession receivers we have ever had.

6. Steve Collins. An unselfish backup to Cale Gundy that should have started. Although popular with the fans, he was a far better QB than most people (especially the coaching staff) credited him. One of the slickest ball-handlers in the option game, he could move the chains, but was never given the time to develop as QB.

7. Steve Davis. 31-1-1.

8. Freddie Nixon. Remember him? He should be talked about more than he is. Great player.

10 Offensive Coordinator Barry Switzer. Although everyone knows his head coaching reputation, he was one of the greatest offensive coordinators to ever coach the game.

Most of the players above should be disqualifed because they skipped some classes on Sat to paly football :rolleyes: and at least 3 of them are rumored to have preferred a playoff system.

RiddlerOK
12/18/2007, 10:17 AM
When I think unsung, it reminds me of offensive linemen, the most unsung players on the field. Here are a few names of underappreciated Sooner players from over the years:

1. Karl Baldischwiler and Sammy Jack Claphan, dependable O-linemen from the late 70's.

2. Bubba Burcham, center for the 2000 title team.

3. Paul Migliazzo, outside linebacker who played in the shadow of the Boz and Dante Jones.

4. Sonny Brown, who played opposite Tony Rayburn and made a couple of big pass breakups against Nebraska in 1985.

5. Richard Turner, who played opposite Keith Gary on the D-line in 1979 and 1980.

6. Tim Duncan, PK from the 2001-2002 season. He wasn't unsung, but he should have been more appreciated.

7. Steve Rhodes, the undersized receiver who made a game-saving pass reception and TD against Florida State in 1981 and caught two huge passes from Woody Shepard in 1976 against Nebraska, one for 50-yards to get the Sooners out of a hole and the other, a hook and ladder special to Elvis Peacock that gave birth to Sooner Magic. The rest of the time, you wondered if he was even on the field, thanks to Freddie Nixon and Bobby Grayson.

8. Steve Collins, very underappreciated architect of the 1990 beatdown of Nebraska.

9. Richard Reed, the "other" Reed on the Sooner defense in the mid-80's.

10. Sherdell Breathett, the linebacker who manned the side opposite Jackie Shipp in the early eighties.

MI Sooner
12/18/2007, 12:41 PM
Josh Norman
Michael Thompson
JD Runnells
Antwone Savage
Curtis Fagan
Pasha Jackson

Catwhisker
12/18/2007, 12:58 PM
I think that Steve Rhodes was one of the best clutch receivers ever at OU. One of the bowls games he could barely run because of his hamstring but nevertheless gutted it out and made plays.

BarryBnds
12/18/2007, 05:45 PM
Ryan Fisher was first team All Big XII but didn't get alot of attention.

stoopified
12/18/2007, 05:53 PM
aScottHill is anotherundung hero as a db for OU.He is most remebered for his hit on 4th and 1vs. Tony Dorsett of Pitt.What many don't recallis that Scott played his senior year on a badly injured knee(ACL or MCL I forget).He just taped it up and played(much like Bob Stoops did st Iowa).

Cam
12/18/2007, 09:00 PM
Damon Stell. He was a great blocker and solid special teams player. Threw a great block on Keith Jackson's TD reception in the Orange Bowl. Unfortunately for Damon, he was on an OU team that was loaded with running backs.
I work with him as well. He's also a very nice guy. Looks as young now as he did then. He's as quiet as Pope is loud.

sozo
12/18/2007, 10:07 PM
Nice list Riddler!

Sooner70
12/19/2007, 08:13 AM
XingtheRubicon: Hey, I took a Philosophy class from J. Clayton Feaver; good prof. His brother was an ordained minister (Presbyterian, I believe) at a church in Norman when I was there.

Anyway, Paul Thompson. What a story. Here's a guy recruited to be QB, then had to take a back seat on that deal, coverted to wide receiver, then moved back to QB. I've often wondered what would've happened to the season year if we hadn't had such a skilled, unselfish player as Paul Thompson.

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2007, 08:13 AM
Most of the players above should be disqualifed because they skipped some classes on Sat to paly football

Are we trying to turn every thread into a playoff thread?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/19/2007, 09:18 AM
Are we trying to turn every thread into a playoff thread?

"Every thread is a playoff thread in disguise, unless of course the thread directly refers to playoffs in which case the disguise sucks."

Rock Hard Corn Frog, 2007

1stTimeCaller
12/19/2007, 12:41 PM
Has anyone expounded on Sam Rayburn yet? When did he play at OU? What position? I've still never heard of him.

TIA