PDA

View Full Version : Stoops Contract Info

southern sooner
12/13/2007, 10:53 PM
With all the college coaches bailing on the NFL and heading back to college ball I htink this speaks well for us hanging on to Stoops since I dont think he would leave OU for another college gig.

Question - when do we sign him to another extension and make him the highest paid coach (again). I think Saban and maybe 1 or 2 others are now paid more and by no means should Stoops be behind anyone in NCAA as far as pay scale.

Anyone have the scoop on his current contract?

Watch Me Stride
12/13/2007, 11:12 PM
"since Stoops became head coach of the University of Oklahoma football team he has only done good things, even great things for the program. His accomplishments speak for themselves. Stoops has a 67-12 overall record, he is 3-3 in bowl games, he has won four Big 12 South titles, he has won three Big 12 titles, and won a National Championship in 2000. Stoops has also coached two of the seven longest winning streaks in Oklahoma history, and the team has set or tied more than 70 school records under his lead. What more does he need to do?
Stoops current contract is paying him approximately $2.4 million a year. His contract also provides for a $100,000 raise each year. That’s a lot of money, but other coaches are making more.
Mack Brown, the Coach for the University of Texas recently received a $390,000 pay raise after leading Texas to its first national championship in 36 years. The raise bumps Brown just above Stoops annual salary; Brown is now bringing in $2.55 million a year. "

Watch Me Stride
12/13/2007, 11:13 PM
Coach: Bob Stoops
Length: 7 years . . . Jan. 1, 2002 thru Dec. 31, 2009
Total package: $2 million-plus
Base salary: $200,000
TV/radio/personal services: $1.4 million [increased by $100,000 annually]
Golf: Yes
Tidbits: $600,000 annually for appearance and speaking engagement on behalf of OU unrelated to athletics • Forbidden from discussions with potential employer without first providing notice to the university • 20 football tickets • Paid $2.1 million per year remaining on contract if terminated without cause
President: David Boren
Total university compensation: $285,304
Perks: Car and housing allowance
Cars: 2

Big 12 championship game appearance: $37,500
Big 12 championship game victory: $57,500
Non-BCS bowl game: $37,500
BCS bowl game: $75,000
BCS national championship game: $100,000
National championship: $150,000
Top 10 in final BCS national rankings: $50,000
Graduation rate of 70% or better: $10,000
Big 12 coach of the year: $25,000
AP national coach of year: $50,000

soonerloyal
12/14/2007, 12:33 AM
"since Stoops became head coach of the University of Oklahoma football team he has only done good things, even great things for the program. His accomplishments speak for themselves. Stoops has a 67-12 overall record, he is 3-3 in bowl games, he has won four Big 12 South titles, he has won three Big 12 titles, and won a National Championship in 2000. Stoops has also coached two of the seven longest winning streaks in Oklahoma history, and the team has set or tied more than 70 school records under his lead. What more does he need to do?...

...Stoops current contract is paying him approximately $2.4 million a year.

...Mack Brown, the Coach for the University of Texas recently received a $390,000 pay raise after leading Texas to its first national championship in 36 years. The raise bumps Brown just above Stoops annual salary; Brown is now bringing in $2.55 million a year. "

Yet another example of how we Sooners do more with less. :cool:

soonerboomer93
12/14/2007, 03:23 AM
actually, Bob's contract is worth more then you're listing. They renegotiate pretty much yearly.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-11-16-coaches-salaries-cover_x.htm

http://americasbestonline.net/index.php/pages/collegehighestpaidcoaches.html

(i feel as dirty as a r-kansas fan having found this but it's on USA today's site)

searchable database, with a link to the contract

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/coaches_contracts07/flash.htm

ruf/nekdad
12/14/2007, 06:15 AM
Just as a point of interest, the state of Oklahoma, and I believe consequently OU, allows a contract duration of only one year or less. This has been my experience in dealing with state and local governments, and is also noted in Bootleggers Boy. Anything longer than that is just a promise.

yermom
12/14/2007, 07:24 AM
no one is really even that close to Saban yet, are they?

Bama is f'in crazy

Partial Qualifier
12/14/2007, 07:31 AM
no one is really even that close to Saban yet, are they?

Bama is f'in crazy

Somebody on the radio recently brought up the fact that throughout Saban's career, in college and the NFL, he's had 3 or more losses in every season he's been a head coach, except one.

aero
12/14/2007, 09:04 AM
We are quite fortunate to have Coach Stoops. And stability is almost as important as a good coach. I could care less if they put it in his contract to automatically have his pay raised to always keep him the highest paid coach in college football. He has spoiled us a little bit to the point I've thought we should have won at least 1 if not 2 more NC's since he's been here. But that is a testament to just how good he has been. He has consistently put together great talent and teams to the point we are in the hunt EVERY year. He has been every bit as good as Petey (better IMO). The difference between the two is Petey enjoys the media up his arse and Bob could just as soon do without them. Sometimes I still can't believe the good fortune we all had when OU hired this man. It almost seems uncanny, but it is OU and we are top of the heap.

OklahomaTuba
12/14/2007, 09:25 AM
He is worth much more than that. Seeing Norman and the OU campus just come to life since Bob has come to OU has been very impressive. Only 2nd to what Boren has done IMO.

I suspect he doesn't make an issue of his pay like other coaches do. He seems very happy and has a great situation. I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire here. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him step down one day and coach high school either.

Hopefully Boren & Joe C. stick around for a long, long time. The longer they stay, the longer Bob stays, and the success of the 2000's will just continue not only for OU Football, but for the school as a whole.

soonerinabilene
12/14/2007, 10:30 AM
Im just waiting for the lifetime time contract like what ND gave lou spitsalot.

Lott's Bandana
12/14/2007, 10:31 AM
He has been every bit as good as Petey (better IMO). The difference between the two is Petey enjoys the media up his arse and Bob could just as soon do without them.

From CNNMoney.com

Salary in Norman OK:
$2,000,000
Comparable salary in Los Angeles-Long Beach CA:
$3,364,125.07

If you move from Norman OK to Los Angeles-Long Beach CA...

Groceries will cost: 31.778% more
Housing will cost: 239.252% more
Utilities will cost: 0.03% less
Transportation will cost: 20.133% more
Healthcare will cost: 9.187% more

Theskipster
12/14/2007, 10:39 AM
You can read Stoops' contract for your self.

http://www.theskipster.com/stoopsct.pdf

cheezyq
12/14/2007, 03:50 PM
I suspect he doesn't make an issue of his pay like other coaches do. He seems very happy and has a great situation. I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire here. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him step down one day and coach high school either.

This is probably the most interesting aspect of Bob Stoops personality/career, in my opinion. I don't know the man personally, but I read very good things about the environment/atmosphere that he has created.

I read a couple of years ago that the coaching staff has a "family" day, where all the coaches are essentially required to take the day off in the middle of the week to spend with family, or to just chill out. To have that kind of attitude about family speaks volumes, especially when there are other coaches that would insist on a 24/7 work week, if it were legal.

You have to imagine that, as much as we bleed for our Sooners and hate when they lose, the scrutiny and media attention that other coaches face from their fans likely creates a more stressful environment in general than it does at a midwestern/southern school like OU. Sure, we'll fire a Blake or a Drunkenberger for losing lots of games and embarrassing the university. Yet OU is that anomaly in that it's tradition also lends a large recruiting advantage in comparison to many schools with similar locales. So, if you can't coach at OU, it's likely that you're just not a good coach.

Speaking of location - while we don't have the beaches, night clubs, and various other things that larger market schools offer, it's the other things that Oklahoma presents that possibly attracts Stoops to OU. In comparison to some other schools, I imagine that being in the midwest/south is more laid back, perhaps like some parts of Stoops' home state of Ohio.

I imagine Stoops as a laid-back man in general, not in laziness, but in attitude. Sure, he's intense during game-time, and perhaps during practice and preparation sessions. But he has a confident style about him that says, "everything's under control". Over the years, as he refutes reports about him leaving for another team, he's been adamant that he wants to build on OU's tradition. I can see that, but I think another issue is also involved - his own legacy.

I don't see Stoops valuing the almighty dollar the way some other coaches do, as you see them travel from one place to another. Oh, sure, Stoops definitely thinks about money, wouldn't you? But, I think Stoops wants to become a legend, not a mockery. And I think OU provides him that opportunity to do so in the way that he wants, without all the distractions and pressures that perhaps other locations would introduce. I think he knows that if he keeps winning, the dollars will take care of themselves.

What most of these job-hopping coaches fail to realize is that they're sacrificing the long-term goals for the short-term cash. Perhaps this is an indication that they're not as confident in their abilities as they seem, and that they're jumping at the chance while the chance is there. You don't see that in Stoops. What some people mistake for arrogance in him is really just a confidence in himself, that he knows what he's doing. Whether it's in leading a team into battle, evaluating high school talent, or in rejecting another "grass is greener" job offer, he knows where he wants to be, and how to get there.

While I could be completely misinterpreting our fearless leader, this is how I imagine him as I see how he handles every situation. From Bomar-gate to Booger-gate I and Booger-gate II, he handles everything in a way that accentuates his growing legend. As a lifelong Sooner, I wouldn't have him any other way.

badger
12/14/2007, 03:57 PM
he has a young family. its tough on kids to move, so i doubt he's looking to.

snp
12/14/2007, 04:23 PM
Stoops gets a bonus of $3,000,000 after next season.

MamaMia
12/14/2007, 05:05 PM
I don't care how much it costs. I want to keep Coach Stoops forever. I want him to break the record for coaching the same team for the longest time ever. :)

badger
12/14/2007, 05:12 PM
I don't care how much it costs. I want to keep Coach Stoops forever. I want him to break the record for coaching the same team for the longest time ever. :)
It'll be tough. There's both Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden