PDA

View Full Version : So Madison Wisconsin is a nice town

royalfan5
12/13/2007, 09:35 PM
I got to see most of it after becoming hopelessly lost searching for a place to stay. Lots of neat buildings, and the classiest Howard Johnson I've ever stayed in. However this experience has convinced me to start researching the places I go more than just winging it. It works for Granite Falls, MN, but not so well for Madison and St. Louis.

IronSooner
12/13/2007, 11:00 PM
I have a friend who went to Marquette for undergrad, so I've heard lots of stories about Madison (he had friends there, hung out there often). Sounds like a fun town but I've never been. Some places it pays to do some research on beforehand. At least it's worth the time.

Okla-homey
12/14/2007, 06:35 AM
I got to see most of it after becoming hopelessly lost searching for a place to stay. Lots of neat buildings, and the classiest Howard Johnson I've ever stayed in. However this experience has convinced me to start researching the places I go more than just winging it. It works for Granite Falls, MN, but not so well for Madison and St. Louis.

In your new line of work, I suggest purchase of a navigation device. I'm now convinced, based on my new ownership of one, I will waste a lot less gas and time looking for crap in urban areas than I used to do.

royalfan5
12/14/2007, 08:14 AM
In your new line of work, I suggest purchase of a navigation device. I'm now convinced, based on my new ownership of one, I will waste a lot less gas and time looking for crap in urban areas than I used to do.
I came to that conclusion about 20 min. into my wandering. I think that will be my christmas present to myself.

Okla-homey
12/14/2007, 08:26 AM
I came to that conclusion about 20 min. into my wandering. I think that will be my christmas present to myself.

I picked up a couple of Garmin "nuvi" 200's at Best Buy on sale for 249.00 down from 279.00. Very cool gadgets.

OklahomaTuba
12/14/2007, 09:34 AM
The garmin type systems they have in Japan and S. Korea just blow anything we have here away.

Nearly all the cabs I rode in Tokyo had the systems with 3D buildings, real time weather & traffic, and even has sports and news stories in Japanese & Engrish.

badger
12/14/2007, 11:59 AM
Madison is full of hippies (oh, you think that "Grateful Red" student section nickname was just a play of words? hehehehehe) and drugs, but it is a very historical town with an awesome pedestrian mall known as "State Street" that leads straight to the capital. The only vehicles allowed on it are buses, but my mom remembers driving on it when she was a student in the 70s.

Just avoid that area on Halloween :D

royalfan5
12/14/2007, 10:49 PM
Driving back today sucked a lot. It took me 9.5 hours to get from Portage to home. I was also disappointed that the Culver's I ate at in Deforest wasn't significantly better than the Nebraska Culver's locations. I figured they would be extra special in their home state. However, Wisconsin is a very pretty state, but they need to increase their speed limits.

mdklatt
12/14/2007, 10:55 PM
However, Wisconsin is a very pretty state, but they need to increase their speed limits.

No joke, especially on the streets of Milwaukee. It's strange how people will drive so slowly on the streets--1 MPH under the already ludicrously low limit, just to be safe--but then drive 15-20 over on the freeways. Just slap an Illinois plate on your car the next time you're there; that apparently allows you to go 30+ over the limit.

royalfan5
12/14/2007, 10:59 PM
No joke, especially on the streets of Milwaukee. It's strange how people will drive so slowly on the streets--1 MPH under the already ludicrously low limit, just to be safe--but then drive 15-20 over on the freeways. Just slap an Illinois plate on your car the next time you're there; that apparently allows you to go 30+ over the limit.
I noticed that too, every so often somebody would fly by me like I wasn't moving and it was always an Illinois plated car.

BillyBall
12/15/2007, 12:21 AM
I noticed that too, every so often somebody would fly by me like I wasn't moving and it was always an Illinois plated car.

Its probably because they are from Chicago, apparently people here have no regard for traffic laws... Its quite fascinating.