PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Lid (or other winos)

TopDaugIn2000
12/13/2007, 04:43 PM
I want to buy my best (girl) friend a nice bottle of wine for Christmas. I'd like to keep it in the $40-50 range. She usually drinks merlot. Suggestions?

OKLA21FAN
12/13/2007, 04:46 PM
Thunderbird!
http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/4537/thunderbird10fm.jpg

IB4OU2
12/13/2007, 04:49 PM
I want to buy my best (girl) friend a nice bottle of wine for Christmas. I'd like to keep it in the $40-50 range. She usually drinks merlot. Suggestions?

Marilyn Merlot-

http://www.americanwinecompany.com/productcart/pc/catalog/MarilynMerlot258.gif

JohnnyMack
12/13/2007, 04:57 PM
NO ONE'S ORDERING ANY GODDAMNED MERLOT!!!!!

rufnek05
12/13/2007, 05:02 PM
Where's the bathroom, I need to wash this merlot off my pants.

Jimminy Crimson
12/13/2007, 05:04 PM
PRIDE Merlot 2005 (Napa/Sonoma)

Might be around $55-60, if you can find it.

I'd also suggest a Firestone Merlot, which is pretty good and should be a little cheaper. I think you'd probably be able to find a 2004 or 2005 vintage somewhere.

SoonerStormchaser
12/13/2007, 05:25 PM
A good shiraz or cab/sauvignon would be good. Rosemount?

SeattleOUstudent
12/13/2007, 05:34 PM
I had an awesome blend called Conundrum. They sell it at Central Market, as well as the Albertsons on Mockingbird.

If youre in Norman, try looking at Hob Nob Rob's.

Hamhock
12/13/2007, 05:44 PM
A good shiraz or cab/sauvignon would be good. Rosemount?

is that the same thing as merlot?

Mongo
12/13/2007, 05:47 PM
is that the same thing as merlot?

he doesnt care. just as long as it is aged for a long time

Hamhock
12/13/2007, 05:49 PM
he doesnt care. just as long as it is aged for a long time

in that case...

since she likes merlot, i recommend Asti Spumante.

SoonerStormchaser
12/13/2007, 05:52 PM
Mongo, I think he missed the wife joke...;)

Mongo
12/13/2007, 05:52 PM
Mongo, I think he missed the wife joke...;)

he is slow in the head

Civicus_Sooner
12/13/2007, 05:58 PM
By, "best (girl) friend." Do you mean you have multiple chicks (which I totally get) or that your best friend is a girl?

OUAndy1807
12/13/2007, 06:23 PM
go to the Wine Bin on May Ave. and ask the wine expert.

sitzpinkler
12/13/2007, 06:44 PM
By, "best (girl) friend." Do you mean you have multiple chicks (which I totally get) or that your best friend is a girl?

TopDaugIn2000 is a female

sooneron
12/13/2007, 06:44 PM
Try a Chateauneuf Du Pape. Their 03-94 vintages were very good. A very solid wine that a merlot drinker will enjoy. Of course, you may be overspending on a merlot drinker. That's no offense to merlot, but it is generally one of the cheaper varietals.

Isoceles is good as well, but it may be more than 50 smackers.
Justin is a good brand for reds out of Cali. Or you may want to try a Pinot out of Oregon. The really good ones are around 30. Your best bet is to buy two bottles of $15-20 grape juice. A good find for a good price can be appreciated all the more.

Try looking at www.zachys.com to see what falls in your price range- they have WS and Parker ratings on there.

You also can't go wrong with South Americans or Spanish reds these days. A lot of good ones can be found for under 20.

OCUDad
12/13/2007, 06:46 PM
Any red wine from Beaulieu Vineyards (BV) in Napa is worth the price. YWIA

TopDaugIn2000
12/13/2007, 08:24 PM

actually, my best friend is a gay d00d, we've been friends since we were 10.

I'm buying this bottle for my best (girl) friend.

but thanks for asking.

TopDaugIn2000
12/13/2007, 08:27 PM
I got her a bottle of this:

http://www.rombauervineyards.com/shop/resources/images/NonVintNML-web.jpg

it was recommended by the lady at the store. was a little less than what I planned to spend, so I'll make up for it by getting some good chocolate truffles or something as well.

proud gonzo
12/13/2007, 08:38 PM
more expensive does not equal better wine. the best wine i've ever had was one of the cheapest also.

critical_phil
12/13/2007, 08:38 PM
a quality Muscadine wine should only set you back about 10 bucks.

http://www.meinhardtvineyards.com/Pages%20and%20Pics/Southern%20Eagle.JPG

OCUDad
12/13/2007, 09:09 PM
a quality Muscadine wine should only set you back about 10 bucks.Go directly to the nearest dictionary and look up "oxymoron." :rolleyes:

GottaHavePride
12/13/2007, 09:09 PM
Yeah, considering a lot of guys that run wine stores say they never spend more than $25 on a bottle of wine...

Better yet - go to the shop and ask the owner what they recommend. Easy.

TopDaugIn2000
12/13/2007, 09:11 PM
that's what I did.

and I have several favorites that are in the $15-20 range, but since it is a gift for Christmas I wanted it to be something that neither of us would just run out an buy any ole day.

76soonergrad
12/13/2007, 09:55 PM
Have you looked at any pinot noirs? I will admit to being a merlot drinker, but I think the pinot noir is a next level wine.

Not in my budget.

Could buy more than one and have a tasting party.

As for the merlots, the best I ever tasted was Camelot. And it wasn't that pricey.

Hope this helps.

bluedogok
12/13/2007, 10:16 PM
Since you already made the purchase this is for future reference. I tend to try and find wines from the smaller independents. I picked up some Merlot on a trip to California from a visit to the Hanna Winery (http://www.hannawinery.com/) that was very good.

There is a guy on one of the motorcycle forums that I am on that is a co-owner of a Purple Cow Vineyards (http://www.purplecowvineyards.com/) in Oregon, he put together a package of wines to try and they were pretty good.

proud gonzo
12/13/2007, 10:32 PM
that's what I did.

and I have several favorites that are in the $15-20 range, but since it is a gift for Christmas I wanted it to be something that neither of us would just run out an buy any ole day.that's when you go for the bottle of 20-year single malt scotch ;)

MamaMia
12/13/2007, 11:42 PM
that's what I did.

and I have several favorites that are in the $15-20 range, but since it is a gift for Christmas I wanted it to be something that neither of us would just run out an buy any ole day.Call the Italian Wine Merchants in New York. They're set up to deliver to several states, including Oklahoma. Their number is 212-473-2323. I use to be a member of their wine club but have developed my certain likes so now I stick with different wines from my favorite regions. When my stock is getting low I just have them send me whatever they decide. I'm very hard to please when it comes to wine but they always get it right. They'll fix you up with the perfect wine in your price range and the shipping is quick and very reasonable.

sooneron
12/14/2007, 09:23 AM
Yeah, considering a lot of guys that run wine stores say they never spend more than $25 on a bottle of wine...

Better yet - go to the shop and ask the owner what they recommend. Easy.
That is half true, it depends upon the store. A couple of owners that I know are collectors or true oenephiles and they have some $4k cases of wine in their cellars.

The Maestro
12/14/2007, 10:40 AM
Try a cab sav from Jax vineyards...they are just north of Calistoga in Napa Valley...I just had a son named Jax and we ordered some in celebration...good stuff! They have a website you can order online. Right around $40.

IB4OU2
12/14/2007, 10:53 AM
Call the Italian Wine Merchants in New York. They're set up to deliver to several states, including Oklahoma. Their number is 212-473-2323. I use to be a member of their wine club but have developed my certain likes so now I stick with different wines from my favorite regions. When my stock is getting low I just have them send me whatever they decide. I'm very hard to please when it comes to wine but they always get it right. They'll fix you up with the perfect wine in your price range and the shipping is quick and very reasonable.

Mom, I also hope they can replenish your cooking sherry stock in a pinch. ;)

C&CDean
12/14/2007, 10:53 AM
Wine snobs are a lot like cigar snobs. They think the more you spend the cooler you are. I'm no wine snob by any stretch, but I do enjoy a glass or 6 of red wine with dinner. I've drank wine that cost me several hundred dollars per bottle. I've drank wine that cost me a couple bucks per bottle. I've drank pretty much everything in between.

For consistency, taste, and price it's very hard to beat something Australian like Yellow Tail. If I'm just looking for a decent glass of wine, that's what I go for.

Some of the nastiest wine I've drank was also some of the most expensive. Some of the best wine I've drank was very reasonably priced. Probably the best wine I've drank was a french cab that was given to a friend of mine by her father when she started her job with the USPS. I think he paid $6 for the bottle in 1968 (it was a 1963 I think), and we drank it at her retirement party last year. Can't remember the name (although we did find it on the innerweb just to see what it was worth), but it was very good.

Fugue
12/14/2007, 11:05 AM
Another vote for Yellow Tail. Quality stuff at a great price.

Jimminy Crimson
12/14/2007, 11:53 AM
I always tend to enjoy the $10-15 bottles more than the $50+ bottles.

If it tastes good, drink up!

colleyvillesooner
12/14/2007, 11:58 AM
Another vote for Yellow Tail. Quality stuff at a great price.

Make it 3. Little Penguin is about the same as well. The wife always gets whichever one is on sale...

SicEmBaylor
12/14/2007, 01:03 PM
I'm not real big on wine, but I've had more than a few glasses. I'm going to second PG here and say that one of my favorites is also the cheapest AND it's an Oklahoma wine.

There's a place in Purcell called Fazoli winery, and I very much enjoy their "Red Ruby" line (I believe that was the name). Cheap and pretty tasty.

I have a uh "friend" whose parents own Texoma Winery. Has anyone sampled their ware before?

Jimminy Crimson
12/14/2007, 01:18 PM
There's a place in Purcell called Fazoli winery, and I very much enjoy their "Red Ruby" line (I believe that was the name). Cheap and pretty tasty.

I think you mean Feroli Winery.

Mjcpr
12/14/2007, 01:30 PM

I think he meant the Fonzoli Winery......I recommend the Pinky Tuscadero.

SicEmBaylor
12/14/2007, 01:57 PM
Yes, yes, that's the name of it!

I_SMELL_FEAR
12/14/2007, 04:36 PM
Another good Oklahoma wine is Tidal School. I pretty much only drink a cab, but will occasionaly get a pinot or shiraz...sometimes merlot. The Tidal School cab is one of my favorites, and it is right at 10.00.

MamaMia
12/14/2007, 05:12 PM
Mom, I also hope they can replenish your cooking sherry stock in a pinch. ;)
I already have a nice bottle of Sherry. Thanks for reminding me. :P