PDA

View Full Version : Who on here never...

soonerhubs
12/13/2007, 04:08 PM
...played a down of football.

...learned the ins and outs through a video game.

...wasn't athletic in high school.

... yet still loves the game like me? :)

tator
12/13/2007, 04:10 PM
I never played organized football, but I didn't learn anything from a video game and played basketball in school.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/13/2007, 04:12 PM
I suck at basketball. That's all I got.

sooner2b09
12/13/2007, 04:14 PM
Played football up until 8th grade until i realized i was too small and too slow to play. So i took up tennis haha. But oh do I love football

tdsooner1321
12/13/2007, 04:16 PM
I never played football, played basketball till 10th grade and ran cross country in high school though.

MiccoMacey
12/13/2007, 04:28 PM
Played/rode the bench 6th grade football, concentrated on wrestling because I believed I was too small for football, and coached middle school football a few years ago.

That's why I know what the cover 3 defense is. ;)

sooner-n-ga
12/13/2007, 04:31 PM
every year except for my Senior year, I dislocated my elbow prior to the season and couldn't play.

I didn't play high school basketball, but went to Tennessee Temple on a Basketball scholarship ! I played in a Church tournament and was spotted by a guy who had ties to the school, they invited me up for a work out and they offered me a chance. Soon after getting there I thought it was to far from home (7 hours) and to religious (I was 18, going to chapel for 2 hours everyday) for me at the time, I came home to work on the farm. Boy would I do some stuff different.

colleyvillesooner
12/13/2007, 04:34 PM
played in 7th grade, 1 year. I sucked.

OUFan22
12/13/2007, 04:39 PM
I was a three year letterman in football, starting my junior and senior years on both sides of the ball and special teams.

Non-football related: I was a three year letterman in baseball playing center field and lead-off hitter, and lettered one year on the track team as a pole-vaulter.

I was a two-time regional champion, a three-time state placer in wrestling and on the 1985 All-State team. Todd Thomsen was also on that All-State wrestling team.

Collier11
12/13/2007, 04:55 PM
Football, I grew up until highschool in a school that didnt offer it and by the time I got to a highschool that did I was too lazy and wanted to focus on baseball and basketball but I regret it now!

basketball, got better thru college while playing with college athletes during the summer and pretty good comp. at the huff and Y! Started junior and senior year on varsity, freshman year on freshman team, rode bench sophomore year. I was a Najera type player without the big time scoring, I put up a few 15 pt 15 reb games but also had a few 2 pt, 10 reb type games.

baseball, 4 year varsity starter Two year All Conf, batted 446. and 389. my junior and senior years, led team in almost all pitching categories my junior year, got a tryout at UCO, got cut, decided I would rather drink

birddog
12/13/2007, 04:56 PM
played in 7th grade, 1 year. I sucked.

is that you, scooter?

sooner518
12/13/2007, 04:58 PM
Never played football at all. Grew up playing soccer and still think I couldve been a kicker.

Played soccer til I was 15 and basketball til sophomore year of high school. Then realized I was white, short, and not a good enough ballhandler to get any kind of playing time in high school. Played tennis all 4 years of high school

Civicus_Sooner
12/13/2007, 05:01 PM
I'm betting it's in the 90% range.

;)

Horns 72
12/13/2007, 05:19 PM
Never played football; they wouldn't let girls play. My dad was a football coach, so that's how I learned.

soonerhubs
12/13/2007, 07:52 PM
I was a three year letterman in football, starting my junior and senior years on both sides of the ball and special teams.

Non-football related: I was a three year letterman in baseball playing center field and lead-off hitter, and lettered one year on the track team as a pole-vaulter.

I was a two-time regional champion, a three-time state placer in wrestling and on the 1985 All-State team. Todd Thomsen was also on that All-State wrestling team.
Never means Never! Take your experience elsewhere!!!!;)

SOONER STEAKER
12/13/2007, 07:58 PM
I learned from my father who was an All State guard. He went on to play for Coach Bud Wilkenosn after the Korean War.

OSUAggie
12/13/2007, 08:08 PM

Too bad you sucked... ;)

Suerreal
12/13/2007, 08:09 PM
Lack of a Y chromosome limited my opportunities for organized football, but I did play defensive line for the Walker 8 intramural team my freshman year. :)

MamaMia
12/13/2007, 08:56 PM

Does 'touch' count? :D

Watch Me Stride
12/13/2007, 08:59 PM
"Foosball is the Devil!!!"

SleestakSooner
12/13/2007, 09:03 PM
Did I ever tell you about the BIG GAME?

http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members3/543/360543/images/al065b.jpg

jrsooner
12/13/2007, 09:04 PM
Never played football... some basketball in jr. high, some discus in jr. high, curling in high school, and softball through the years since jr. high.

Learned football rules by watching it on TV.

OUFan22
12/13/2007, 09:06 PM
Too bad you sucked... ;)
Hey Pix, I bet John put you up to that!!!!!

insuranceman_22
12/13/2007, 09:08 PM
I played football 7th through 12th grade, fullback and middle (or strong side) LB, depending on the defense. Played baseball in college though.......

OUFan22
12/13/2007, 09:09 PM
Never means Never! Take your experience elsewhere!!!!;)
I'm sooooooo confoosed!!!!!!!!!!!

freshchris05
12/13/2007, 09:55 PM
i played in middle school when i was eligible... and then in high school i gave up... i smoked alot of weed back then tho...

my dad was an allstar tho.. he was recruited by barry himself... but he destroyed his knee before playing a down in norman, and he has been a workin man ever since..

76soonergrad
12/13/2007, 10:14 PM
Wrong gender.

I learned it from watching in the stands. Learned from the best.

Played softball intramural at OU.
Co-ed. Pitcher. Played after college for different teams. One of them was a bar called the Interurban. Long time ago.

Jerk
12/13/2007, 10:30 PM
7th & 8th grades.

My knickname was 'skillet-hands'

Because the ball would simply bounce of my hands when I tried to catch it.

I was back-up 3rd stringer. Maybe saw the field on special teams cuz coach felt sorry for me.

BigDeezy
12/13/2007, 10:31 PM
I sucked even in intermurals.

However, I was the varsity basketball team manager in college, and even got to practice with them when they needed a warm body.

SOONER STEAKER
12/13/2007, 10:31 PM
played in middle school when i was eligible... and then in high school i gave up... i smoked alot of weed back then tho...

You got any now?

Sonner magic923
12/13/2007, 11:04 PM
played til the tenth grade then figured out the talent on the feild just wasnt there. Oh but the talent on the PS controller was def. there

amasooner
12/13/2007, 11:10 PM
played three downs, broke my thumb, gave it up. But i cant get enough and i hate the off-season

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/13/2007, 11:17 PM
Lack of a Y chromosome limited my opportunities for organized football, but I did ... :)

...beat the crap out of everyone in my 8th grade gym class at Ping Pong.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/13/2007, 11:20 PM
Wrong gender.

I learned it from watching in the stands. Learned from the best.

Played softball intramural at OU.
Co-ed. Pitcher. Played after college for different teams. One of them was a bar called the Interurban. Long time ago.

I LOVED Interurban. I cannot believe it--and Denco across the street--are gone.:(

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/14/2007, 12:18 AM
500 posts, finally.

Just had to do that.

I'm not very loquacious. (But I know how to spell it.)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/14/2007, 01:22 AM
I LOVED Interurban. I cannot believe it--and Denco across the street--are gone.:(I loved the ORIGINAL Dencos. Ah, to order a Denco Darlin' with one lookin' at you, and an extra ladle of grease was Sooner Perfection. Only to be improved if a fight broke out in one of the booths, and Benny had to come out with his billy club to break it up....(sigh)

Big Red Ron
12/14/2007, 01:25 AM
Does 'touch' count? :DHeck naw....

Cornerback/Wide Reciever
:twinkies:

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/14/2007, 01:49 AM
I loved the ORIGINAL Dencos. Ah, to order a Denco Darlin' with one lookin' at you, and an extra ladle of grease was Sooner Perfection. Only to be improved if a fight broke out in one of the booths, and Benny had to come out with his billy club to break it up....(sigh)

EXACTLY.

12/14/2007, 01:59 AM
EXACTLY.I gradumalated OU in '67. The original Denco's was still in its hayday at that time. Anyone know when they totally remodeled and modernized it?(and when they razed it, too?)

MrJimBeam
12/14/2007, 05:00 AM
Never played a down. Was born with 6 toes on my right foot. Had blazing speed.....sideways. Won three letters as team manager. Was awarded most spirited my senior year for use of "POWER TOWEL". Timeouts were showtime for the POWER TOWEL!

MichiganSooner
12/14/2007, 09:13 AM
Never played football. Too small and uncoordinated for sports. But I played in the band!!

Did not learn football playing video games. The video games I played were Pong, Space Invaders, Asteroids...never saw a football one.

Learned about football by watching college game of the week on TV. There was only one game each week on one channel or maybe a second game on another channel. Bud Wilkinson was the main commentator I learned football from early on. I did not know he had been a coach. He looked like and sounded like a nice granddad to me. He explained football and strategy very well. Another person who taught me about football was Michigan State coach Duffy Daugherty who had a TV show called how to watch football.

soonerhubs
12/14/2007, 09:28 AM
I have to be honest and also say I've learned many aspects of football from reading posts on Soonerfans. It certainly helps with following players names and what not.

azzbakwardz
12/14/2007, 09:41 AM
Never played football; they wouldn't let girls play. My dad was a football coach, so that's how I learned.

Ha ha! We had a girl in 7th grade, dirtiest DE I ever saw, that girl was meaner than hell, most teams we played double teamed her, way quick, and it didnt help that she was real cute either lmao!!

Three year letter at fullback and safety, played a nice third base in high school, college for two years, blew up an ankle fresh year, knee soph, wasnt meant to be, never played a down in a game! Talk about sucking, that did! Lol!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/14/2007, 10:01 AM
I didn't play organized football. I played a bunch of football growing up in the backyard with a couple future DII All-Americans in grade school and then later with some kids with the last name of Wistrom that turned out to be pretty good..no wonder they were so tough to tackle. Did hs basketball. Did HS,college and some pro baseball. I was too tall, thin and slow to be anything but a QB or TE and I defied the odds being probably the only person that could throw a baseball over 90mph but couldn't throw a spiral 30 yards.

As far as playing all I ever really wanted to do was pitch but baseball was my love as far as playing. Football has alwys been my favorite to watch. Little bro played football and he always brought the scouting reports and I'd look them over.

birddog
12/14/2007, 10:31 AM
Was born with 6 toes on my right foot.

some chicks dig that.

crawfish
12/14/2007, 10:37 AM
Never played, not even pee-wee football. Love the game.

A-M
12/14/2007, 10:41 AM
I went to a very large HS and in my time (50 years ago) girls did not play football. So, I was in band and a majorette. After 5 years of watching 9 or 10 games each year in the band, you learn a little about football. Of course, watching OU football since I was a very little girl didn't hurt my knowledge of football at all.

1stTimeCaller
12/14/2007, 11:16 AM
I've found that people love listening to my High School Hero stories at parties. They love to hear about how I disected film with my award winning coach.

OU4LIFE
12/14/2007, 12:38 PM

it's like you were talking about me.

SicEmBaylor
12/14/2007, 12:49 PM
I have never played a single down. I also learned the ins and outs from observing/video games, etc.

SoonerAcesUp
12/14/2007, 01:24 PM
I have never played a single down.

No way?!!!

85Sooner
12/14/2007, 01:44 PM
Played Baseball 10 yrs pitch and shortstop
Played Ice Hockey 1 yr right wing 7 yrs Goaltender
Played Basketball one year (hate games that don't allow you to hit anyone)

Trained
Highschool Football 1982 State Champs
Asst Trainer OKC 89ers 3 yrs
Asst Trainer OKC Stars 3 yrs

Mom would not let me play football............ Too Dangerous

duviOUs
12/14/2007, 01:44 PM
Just like you......never played ever a down......wasn't all that athletic......learned via Tecmo Bowl/Madden from the good ol' days. Still enjoy Madden and NCAA now on 360. Nothing beats Tecmo Bowl though..........Running around the field indefinately with Bo Jackson....ahh the memories....

Now when I say learned I mainly learned by watching live games or TV as far as the general game and the rules. As far as picking up the intricacies of the game such as offensive/defensive play calling and strategy, I learned in the video games.

proudsoonergal
12/14/2007, 02:08 PM
...beat the crap out of everyone in my 8th grade gym class at Ping Pong.

I beat the crap out of everyone in my 8th grade gym class at badminton. Boys and girls.

Regarding football, does tackle during Thanksgiving count?

Pricetag
12/14/2007, 02:17 PM
I watched tons of football on TV, but never really "got it" until I played Play Action Football and Tecmo Super Bowl on the NES.

golden85
12/14/2007, 02:19 PM
Played high school football, basketball, & baseball. Went on to play football for Tulsa U during the Rader era. Played all 4 years but too many knee injuries screwed me. Still grew up a Sooner Fan despite going to TU.

SicEmBaylor
12/14/2007, 03:24 PM
No way?!!!
Apparently, I'm not the only one down here who has seemingly never played football before. :(

Collier11
12/14/2007, 03:28 PM
Apparently, I'm not the only one down here who has seemingly never played football before. :(

are you speaking on behalf of the entire Baylor football team or just yourself?! :D

SoonerFaninAZ
12/14/2007, 03:45 PM
Played two years--seventh and eighth grade. Played WR during seventh grade. I had one pass thrown my way all season. I caught it for 11 yards.

Played Safety during eighth grade. Returned a quick kick 11 yards. Intercepted one pass and returned it...yep...11 yards.

I got burned deep on passes. A lot. Even in eighth grade. Teams passed about six times a game in eighth grade. Until they played us. Then they aired it out.

Played baseball for a lot of years. Peaked in 8th grade in that sport too. But kept playing for a number of years. I actually played on the University of Tulsa club team in 1981--the year after they disbanded the Varsity program.

Outopia
12/14/2007, 04:10 PM
Played HS football one year. I was the starter at the Kicker position my senior year at MWC, and was the first soccer-style kicker ever there (heck, I don't think you see any of the old straight-on style kickers much anymore). It was football nirvana for a kid that had been a fan of the game since the sixth grade. I was 5' 9" and 127 lbs SR. Kicker, and it was a good thing I had alot of protection. The next smallest kid on our team was a 145 lbs sophmore HB. It had it's dangers. Good thing I had the mind of a seventeen year old, and the same accompanying lack of good sense. I was a good athlete for my size, but was also one of the youngest in my Sr class. I learned alot about the game through that experience. Even without that, I would have been a life-long fan that I am anyway. I have raised a girl that knows more about the game than most guys, and is now a life-long Sooner fan. Now, that makes you proud. We took her to the Holiday Bowl, and the Fiesta Bowl too. Once they get the "Sooner Bug", it stays in them forever. Make sure you expose your kids to the germ. It will always give you something in common.

12/14/2007, 06:16 PM
Am i (or somebody) gonna have to start a separate thread about Dencos?

goodonya
12/14/2007, 06:23 PM
I never played futbol.

Breadburner
12/14/2007, 06:54 PM
I lettered in Tonsil Hockey all four years......

freshchris05
12/15/2007, 12:06 AM
great thread... heh

hell.Lets hear it for all the guys who didn't need to play sports to get laid in high school...

:cool: :applause:

freshchris05
12/15/2007, 12:09 AM
Maybe it's just me but whenever i read these posts, i have that Bud Light Real Men of Genius music playing in my head...

Mr. Never lettered in prep school sports guy...

Soonerfan88
12/15/2007, 01:28 AM

Does backyard or powder puff count?

Learned by playing w/brother & his friends in the backyard, watching, and read many coaching "how to" books -- not into video games

:O

AMEN!!

:pop:

Blitzkrieg
12/15/2007, 03:32 PM

Fag.

stoopified
12/15/2007, 05:50 PM
Anyone who NEVER palyed football should be Baned. :) It is un-American to not strap on the pads and bash heads.

SicEmBaylor
12/15/2007, 06:26 PM
Anyone who NEVER palyed football should be Baned. :) It is un-American to not strap on the pads and bash heads.
I wish I had but I would have died. I'd get killed out there against a pee-wee team.

I was a swimmer -- swam competitively for 10 years.

I think I'd have liked to play as a running back though.

insuranceman_22
12/15/2007, 07:34 PM
I didn't play organized football. I played a bunch of football growing up in the backyard with a couple future DII All-Americans in grade school and then later with some kids with the last name of Wistrom that turned out to be pretty good..no wonder they were so tough to tackle. Did hs basketball. Did HS,college and some pro baseball. I was too tall, thin and slow to be anything but a QB or TE and I defied the odds being probably the only person that could throw a baseball over 90mph but couldn't throw a spiral 30 yards.

As far as playing all I ever really wanted to do was pitch but baseball was my love as far as playing. Football has alwys been my favorite to watch. Little bro played football and he always brought the scouting reports and I'd look them over.

I'm with you on that, I threw in the low 90's, but couldn't throw a football for crap. May 50 yrds but it was end over end....never a spiral!

rubyspirit
12/16/2007, 12:42 PM
Ran track in high school. Still compete in dualthons when I have time to train.

Female, so never played football. Love sports and athletics.

A super fit human body is very appealing.

OU4LIFE
12/17/2007, 08:24 AM

HEY! someone has to captain the chess team pal...

Knight to King Bishop three, biyotch.

soonerhubs
12/17/2007, 09:01 AM
I was a Choir jock, oh and I also played backyard football.

OUFan22
12/17/2007, 09:26 AM
Fag.
Hahahaha, very funny!!! Are you sure you aren't in denial?

BarryBnds
12/18/2007, 05:48 PM
I played until my senior year of college.

Rogue
12/18/2007, 06:52 PM
I played pee-wee ball. I was a year ahead in school and by about 7th grade was really awkward and not competitive. I probably couldn't have competed with the athletic kids a year younger than me.

I learned some as a fan, some as a video game player, an a lot about the game as a HS official for a few years when we lived in TX.

KantoSooner
12/18/2007, 09:00 PM
I gradumalated OU in '67. The original Denco's was still in its hayday at that time. Anyone know when they totally remodeled and modernized it?(and when they razed it, too?)

It was fern-bar-ish but still there (and the food was still good) when I graduated L school in '87.

Didn't they have a branch in Colorado (Steam Boat? Vail?)