PDA

View Full Version : Media Concocted Playoff Rant

Lott's Bandana
12/13/2007, 11:04 AM
Before I start: This is not another "I want playoffs" thread. We have enough of those.

Look y'all.

There are two of these fake playoffs running on ESPN right now. I imagine if they could somehow justify it, they'd have one on each of their networks.

Who wins on ESPN?

Who else?

Who wins on SI?

Who else?

Folks, there are more peeps in LA than the entire populations of Oklahoma, Arkansas and Kansas combined.

There is no NFL team in LA.

ABC/ESPN had claimed ownership of SoCal football and has a stranglehold on all things pigskin coming out of that city. It benefits them TREMENDOUSLY to continually pump up suc as america's team for ratings alone. Conscious decisions are made daily on how to showcase their team to keep ratings and interest high.

suc wins every one of these 'playoffs'. This is a not-so-subtle push to get suc higher in every poll after the bowls and to ensure their top ranking again next year, so they can embed another reporter in their 'camp' and give us daily reports on their boys.

(The SEC fan's self-love for their conference has turned these networks into Tebowvision as well, all for the ratings from the South...but that is another rant.)

Oklahoma played a tremendous game in San Antonio and would likely have whupped anyone on that field that night. LSU won the talking head's precious SEC. tOSU and KU both only have 1 loss. Georgia has been crowned: "the hottest team in college football right now."

suc played a now coachless UCLA team and won without fanfare...ending up behind 6-7 other teams in the polls and in the BCS...

Yet, they continue to win these "playoffs".

Unless and until these things are decided on the field, these fake playoffs, polls and the BCS are all about numbers and demographics and biases, so nothing's gonna change...not "suc #1" not "overrated Big East" not "SEC toughest conference" and certainly not "Hawai'i in title game!"

Rhino
12/13/2007, 12:31 PM
You lost me here:

Folks, there are more peeps in LA than the entire populations of Oklahoma, Arkansas and Kansas combined. There's roughly 5.1 million more people in Kansas, Oklahoma and Arkansas combined than Los Angeles.

I couldn't really understand the rest of your argument(?), statement(?).

Jason White's Third Knee
12/13/2007, 12:37 PM
You lost me here:
There's roughly 5.1 million more people in Kansas, Oklahoma and Arkansas combined than Los Angeles.

You aren't counting illegals... but they watch soccer anyway.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lott's Bandana
12/13/2007, 01:13 PM
You lost me here:
There's roughly 5.1 million more people in Kansas, Oklahoma and Arkansas combined than Los Angeles.

Since you took the time to point out my inability to convey my point astutely, I gladly will try to clarify. :D

16 million in the greater LA metropolitan area.

Census 2000 PHC-T-3. Ranking Tables for Metropolitan Areas: 1990 and 2000
Table 3: Metropolitan Areas Ranked by Population: 2000
Note: 1990 Census population counts are as published in 1990 census reports and do not include
changes published subsequently due to boundary or other changes. Metropolitan Areas
are as defined on June 30, 1999 by the Office of Management and Budget. Source: U.S. Census Bureau
Internet Release date: April 2, 2001

1 New York--Northern New Jersey--Long Island, NY--NJ--CT--PA CMSA 21,199,865

2 Los Angeles--Riverside--Orange County, CA CMSA 16,373,645

3 Chicago--Gary--Kenosha, IL--IN--WI CMSA 9,157,540

4 Washington--Baltimore, DC--MD--VA--WV CMSA 7,608,070

5 San Francisco--Oakland--San Jose, CA CMSA 7,039,362

8+ million in KS, OK and AR.

Condensed point:

The AP, Coaches, BCS rankings are all about ratings, geographic biases and population density (read: viewer interest). It ain't gonna change until the games are played on the field.

Seamus
12/13/2007, 02:07 PM
Yeah, that's how I took it. When you say "Los Angeles," you aren't saying just L.A. proper. There's an endless sea of suburbs down there. It's all Los Angeles.

Rhino
12/13/2007, 05:10 PM
So, it shoulda been:

Folks, there are more peeps in a general area in and around the city of Los Angeles than the entire populations of the boundary-specific states of Oklahoma, Arkansas and Kansas combined. :D

Lott's Bandana
12/13/2007, 07:24 PM
Before I start: This is not another "I want playoffs" thread. We have enough of those.

Look y'all.

There are two of these fake playoffs running on ESPN right now. I imagine if they could somehow justify it, they'd have one on each of their networks.

Who wins on ESPN?

Who else?

Who wins on SI?

Who else?

Folks, there are more metrosexuals than hillbillies.

There is no NFL team in LA.

ABC/ESPN had claimed ownership of SoCal football and has a stranglehold on all things pigskin coming out of that city. It benefits them TREMENDOUSLY to continually pump up suc as america's team for ratings alone. Conscious decisions are made daily on how to showcase their team to keep ratings and interest high.

suc wins every one of these 'playoffs'. This is a not-so-subtle push to get suc higher in every poll after the bowls and to ensure their top ranking again next year, so they can embed another reporter in their 'camp' and give us daily reports on their boys.

(The SEC fan's self-love for their conference has turned these networks into Tebowvision as well, all for the ratings from the South...but that is another rant.)

Oklahoma played a tremendous game in San Antonio and would likely have whupped anyone on that field that night. LSU won the talking head's precious SEC. tOSU and KU both only have 1 loss. Georgia has been crowned: "the hottest team in college football right now."

suc played a now coachless UCLA team and won without fanfare...ending up behind 6-7 other teams in the polls and in the BCS...

Yet, they continue to win these "playoffs".

Unless and until these things are decided on the field, these fake playoffs, polls and the BCS are all about numbers and demographics and biases, so nothing's gonna change...not "suc #1" not "overrated Big East" not "SEC toughest conference" and certainly not "Hawai'i in title game!"

Fixed.

dog-knee
12/14/2007, 04:56 PM
Perhaps he meant to say that there are more collagen and silicone implants in the greater LA area than there are in Oklahoma/Kansas/Lousy-ana/Misery . Also more soccer fans. And trojans, of whatever sort.

PLaw
12/15/2007, 11:14 AM
Condensed point:

The AP, Coaches, BCS rankings are all about ratings, geographic biases and population density (read: viewer interest). It ain't gonna change until the games are played on the field.

If that were totally the case, then OU would not have hung 7 already. Besides, 55-19 wasn't about ratings (I know I can't move past TGOWWDNS). It was about us getting our arse whupped. To think SUC doesn't have a great football team is very naive.

All that said, think how many more OU would have if the games were played on the field? In the late 70's, there was no better team in November than OU, period.

BOOMER

Lott's Bandana
12/15/2007, 11:59 AM
If that were totally the case, then OU would not have hung 7 already. Besides, 55-19 wasn't about ratings (I know I can't move past TGOWWDNS). It was about us getting our arse whupped. To think SUC doesn't have a great football team is very naive.

All that said, think how many more OU would have if the games were played on the field? In the late 70's, there was no better team in November than OU, period.

BOOMER

PLaw - We hung 6 in an era where there were not 24/7 football channels, College Football Live on each weekday and prime time Saturday night TV games. Our 2000 MNC came as this new media driven culture of opinion was beginning.

You made my point exactly. Part of suc's success (say that three times fast), is their partnership with ABC/ESPN in the recruiting world. The constant TV exposure, the glamorizing of their squad, all of this helps PC get talent, thereby ensuring quality teams for the networks to hype...
perfect circle.