12/13/2007, 02:45 AM
Just saying.

And good luck finding recruits with that type of "commitment"

WA. Sooner
12/13/2007, 03:36 AM
3rd job in a year, couldn't trust that guy

AlbqSooner
12/13/2007, 06:56 AM
One of the talking heads commented that when he signed on with the piggies he executed is 20th year of contracts in the past 18 months.

Jacie
12/13/2007, 07:17 AM
If I accepted a job and was promised a corner office with a view as one of the perks, then upon going to work found out that it was next door to a restroom and smelled like s**t and would not be repaired for 23 months, I think I'd have to turn in my resignation.

soonersn2007
12/13/2007, 08:55 AM
The guy may have some commitment issues, but things were not going to get any better for him or the Atlanta Falcons

Theskipster
12/13/2007, 08:58 AM
Let's ask Falcon's safety Lawyer Milloy what he thinks about this:

http://www.theskipster.com/images/patrinoletter.jpg

Desert Sapper
12/13/2007, 08:59 AM
If I accepted a job and was promised a corner office with a view as one of the perks, then upon going to work found out that it was next door to a restroom and smelled like s**t and would not be repaired for 23 months, I think I'd have to turn in my resignation.

Agree. Atlanta smells like ****. And their football team isn't all that great anymore either. I do like the whole 'college coaches can't hack it in the league of men' argument that keeps surfacing.

Paperclip
12/13/2007, 10:44 AM
The Falcons can suck it. Every single one of them would jump at the first big free agent contract they got. Cry me a freaking river.

soonerP_A_C
12/13/2007, 11:34 AM
The Falcons can suck it. Every single one of them would jump at the first big free agent contract they got. Cry me a freaking river.

I thought the exact thing when I read about this in the paper this morning. NFL players talking about LOYALTY? Since when? Makes me wanna puke...

stoops the eternal pimp
12/13/2007, 11:44 AM
I could care less about the Falcon's or Arkansas for that matter. The stuff he pulled at Louisville(secret meetings, consistent lying) is ridiculous.

I wouldn't let my son commit to play for his team. I don't know how anyone could believe anything he says.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/13/2007, 11:49 AM
I could care less about the Falcon's or Arkansas for that matter. The stuff he pulled at Louisville(secret meetings, consistent lying) is ridiculous.

I wouldn't let my son commit to play for his team. I don't know how anyone could believe anything he says.It will be VERRRY interesting to see the number and quality of his first recruiting class.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/13/2007, 11:51 AM
What I REALLY wanna know is, after Leslie takes the Meatchicken jorb, will SABAN return to LSU?...and who will BAMMER get as their REAL new coach?

sanantoniosooner
12/13/2007, 11:55 AM
Petrino.........Franchione..........Saban......... .....

and the beat goes on.........

Collier11
12/13/2007, 12:02 PM
everyone cries about loyalty with coaches but what about with players? He seems a bit slimy to me but is it really that big of a deal? Why would you want a coach who doesnt want you back?

Theskipster
12/13/2007, 12:19 PM
everyone cries about loyalty with coaches but what about with players? He seems a bit slimy to me but is it really that big of a deal? Why would you want a coach who doesnt want you back?

A bit slimy?

Name one year since he first became a head coach that he hasn't interviewed for another head coaching job.

Name one year since he first became a head coach that he didn't flat out lie about it.

Louisville was actually glad to see him go.

fadada1
12/13/2007, 12:21 PM
folks, 23 months from now petrino's 2 pet dogs would be in jeopardy of duking it out in the ring with pure-bread pit bulls. i'd get out too. saves his dogs 2 years of anxiety and all.

sanantoniosooner
12/13/2007, 12:23 PM
until the program crashed.

They'd take him back in a heartbeat.

Collier11
12/13/2007, 12:24 PM
A bit slimy?

Name one year since he first became a head coach that he hasn't interviewed for another head coaching job.

Name one year since he first became a head coach that he didn't flat out lie about it.

As I said previously, his character leaves something to be desired. BUT, this happens all the time when players demand trades, leave teams who have been loyal to them, etc... I dont see it as a big deal, why would you want a coach who doesnt have his heart in the job and isnt committed, let him leave?

sanantoniosooner
12/13/2007, 12:32 PM
As I said previously, his character leaves something to be desired. BUT, this happens all the time when players demand trades, leave teams who have been loyal to them, etc... I dont see it as a big deal, why would you want a coach who doesnt have his heart in the job and isnt committed, let him leave?
You are focused on pro athletes.

Guys like Petrino, Fran, and Saban have stabbed college players in the back WHILE preaching integrity and perseverence.

Collier11
12/13/2007, 12:36 PM

Guys like Petrino, Fran, and Saban have stabbed college players in the back WHILE preaching integrity and perseverence.

Thats not to be argued, I agree with that. It is hard to commit to a coach who cant commit to you!

Sooner_Bob
12/13/2007, 12:40 PM
Of course the only reason for a college kid to not jump ship is the transfer rule, but I agree that it would seem Petrino doesn't want to commit to anything for some reason.

Maybe he has Adult ADD.

cjames317
12/13/2007, 12:42 PM
Didn't Lou Holtz leave the Jets during the season to take the Arkansas job back in the 70s?

Sooner_Bob
12/13/2007, 12:44 PM
Yep

The Maestro
12/13/2007, 12:45 PM
He went from coaching Michael Vick to coaching Joey Harrington.

If Arkansas could wait until the end of the season they would have. Recruiting doesn't allow them to wait.

The guy can coach offense...that's apparent.

The timing sucked, but those are circumstances related to the length of the NFL season (which we all can accept that the Falcons are just playing this one out) and recruiting season in college football (uh, now is kinda important).

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/13/2007, 12:46 PM
BTW their was a lot of speculation that had Petrino not taken the job that the next Arky choice was Venables so I'm glad they got him.

This is an interesting situation. Petrino is pretty much the Larry Brown of college football and is pretty much a whore for the next job that comes around. Any coach that preaches loyalty and family that jumps town is asking for it. Even Warrick Dunn said he had no class. That is about like Will Rogers calling him a polesmoker.

On the flip side if you didn't know Petrino's history he came into Atlanta expecting to have Michael Vick and the Falcons even did their own "internal investigation" and decided that Vick would not be prosecuted befroe the season started. The Falcons are a joke. Petrino COULD have waited until the end of the season and then maybe had a shot at the Arkansas job but it would have likely been filled by then and he would have lost 3 weeks in recruiting.

So in the end I say the Hogs and Falcons both deserve what they get.

mdklatt
12/13/2007, 01:18 PM
The Falcons have no business complaining given the manner in which Petrino came to Atlanta in the first place. You can't snake a girl from another guy and then act all surprised if she cheats on you. Similarly, the Dolphins can STFU about Saban--and there better not be one damn peep out of Alabama if he does the same thing to them. They already owe us all some STFU about Franchione. It didn't bother them when he did the exact same thing at TCU, now did it?

LSU is also on the STFU list if/when Leslie bolts for Ann Arbor.

Scott D
12/13/2007, 01:42 PM
The Falcons have no business complaining given the manner in which Petrino came to Atlanta in the first place. You can't snake a girl from another guy and then act all surprised if she cheats on you. Similarly, the Dolphins can STFU about Saban--and there better not be one damn peep out of Alabama if he does the same thing to them. They already owe us all some STFU about Franchione. It didn't bother them when he did the exact same thing at TCU, now did it?

LSU is also on the STFU list if/when Leslie bolts for Ann Arbor.

Well, I think there are two factions in Atlanta...the player faction which is pretty much speaking it's mind on how much they disliked the guy when he was the head coach, and how he's pretty much chicken**** for quitting on them. (You can ignore the fact that it appears they quit on him weeks ago). Players won't miss him at all, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Falcons play well in the last 3 games of the season because he's gone.

I can see why Arthur Blank is ****ed as well. He was tipped off by Jerry Jones about Arky sniffing around Petrino. He goes to Petrino about it on Monday and simply asks him if there's anything going on. Petrino not only says "no" but goes on to tell Blank that he's not going anywhere. Not even 24 hours later, Petrino resigns, boards a plane for Arky, and later that night after leaving chicken**** letters for the players is introduced as the new head coach of the Razorbacks. Put that on the heels of Vick lying his *** off to Blank mere months ago, you've got one ****ed off NFL Franchise Owner.

It's like the guy where you hear a rumor that he's out looking for another job, and when you ask him about it he denies it and says he's gonna keep working for you, then the next day comes in and gives you "two weeks notice" and predates it by two weeks.

fadada1
12/13/2007, 01:47 PM
Well, I think there are two factions in Atlanta...the player faction which is pretty much speaking it's mind on how much they disliked the guy when he was the head coach, and how he's pretty much chicken**** for quitting on them. (You can ignore the fact that it appears they quit on him weeks ago). Players won't miss him at all, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Falcons play well in the last 3 games of the season because he's gone.

I can see why Arthur Blank is ****ed as well. He was tipped off by Jerry Jones about Arky sniffing around Petrino. He goes to Petrino about it on Monday and simply asks him if there's anything going on. Petrino not only says "no" but goes on to tell Blank that he's not going anywhere. Not even 24 hours later, Petrino resigns, boards a plane for Arky, and later that night after leaving chicken**** letters for the players is introduced as the new head coach of the Razorbacks. Put that on the heels of Vick lying his *** off to Blank mere months ago, you've got one ****ed off NFL Franchise Owner.

It's like the guy where you hear a rumor that he's out looking for another job, and when you ask him about it he denies it and says he's gonna keep working for you, then the next day comes in and gives you "two weeks notice" and predates it by two weeks.
is that bad?

;)

Scott D
12/13/2007, 01:50 PM
is that bad?

;)

Can't be all that bad at least in a societal manner, since it happens quite frequently. Personally, I think it's more a product of "me first" that is promoted in our society. Also think it reflects poorly on someone's "word" meaning anything more than jack or **** ;)

mdklatt
12/13/2007, 01:54 PM

But didn't Petrino do the same thing to Louisville to come to Atlanta? And now Blank is shocked--SHOCKED, I SAY!--that he could do such a thing? B period, S period. If he did it for you in the past, he'll have no problem doing it to you in the future.

mdklatt
12/13/2007, 01:55 PM
Can't be all that bad at least in a societal manner, since it happens quite frequently.

Petrino and Saban are the 1TC and TDI2K of football coaches. :D

Scott D
12/13/2007, 01:59 PM
But didn't Petrino do the same thing to Louisville to come to Atlanta? And now Blank is shocked--SHOCKED, I SAY!--that he could do such a thing? B period, S period. If he did it for you in the past, he'll have no problem doing it to you in the future.

Well, yes and no. Yes Petrino ditched a long term contract with Louisville for the Atlanta job. However, Petrino left Louisville in January after the bowl games were complete for the Falcons. Blank isn't shocked/****ed "that" he did it, but rather "when" he did it, especially after getting reassurances that Petrino would be finishing the season.

Whet
12/13/2007, 02:04 PM
Here is an interesting story by Pat Forde, from ESPN.com about Bobby:

Petrino's been down this road before … and likely will again (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3151061&sportCat=ncf)

You know is not favorable to Petrino when is starts out:

In the coming days and weeks, the disingenuous drifter will say what Arkansas fans want to hear.
He'll look at them with blank shark eyes and tell them, in a monotone voice, how excited he is to be the coach of the Razorbacks. He will tell them how impressed he is by the tradition and the fan base. He will tell them that the Southeastern Conference is the place he always wanted to coach (and that might be the one true thing he'll say, given how many times he's tried to land a job in the league)....

There is also a chart of his coaching moves for the past 15 years.

Seamus
12/13/2007, 02:22 PM
Even Warrick Dunn said he had no class. That is about like Will Rogers calling him a polesmoker.

Dude, you owe me one (1) 22" flatscreen monitor after I spewed my OJ up reading that one.

Hilarious! :D

stoops the eternal pimp
12/13/2007, 02:51 PM

Bingo. Like I said earlier, I could care less about the Falcons. And I don't have a problem with him changing jobs. Its the bold face liar that the guy is that bothers me.

Suerreal
12/13/2007, 08:21 PM
Stewart Mandel summed up the baggage that Petrino brings with him pretty well:
Arkansas: Know What You're Getting Into (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/football/ncaa/2007/12/arkansas-know-what-youre-getting-into.html)

bluedogok
12/13/2007, 09:56 PM
I don't agree with his methods but what I find ironic is that many of these same players who are whining about HOW he left have been complaining about him and wanting him gone all season. They got their wish but now they are upset about it because it didn't happen the way they wanted it to, reminds me of a 4 year old.

Sooner_Havok
12/14/2007, 12:46 AM
I just think it is funny that Vic goes to jail for dog fighting/animal torture, and you see people with signs in Atlanta that read: "We love you Michael!", "Free Vic" "Vic doesn't deserve this!"

but Petrino bails on a team that was quoted all season as not wanting him there, and the talons come out. So, Atlanta = loves animal torturers, hates people who take a hint...

Crucifax Autumn
12/14/2007, 01:34 AM
Petrino, Saban...and all the rest like this:

Anyone who hires them is like the stupid, needy woman who's having an affair with a married guy, talks him into leaving his wife, marries him, and then cries like a baby on some idiotic talk show or to friends and relatives about how she never saw it coming...they were so in love, so meant to be together.

MextheBulldog
12/14/2007, 01:13 PM
Heard a rumor that might explain why the immediate jump for Petrino. Supposedly Arky had Gary Patterson (TCU) in line and was even discussing contract numbers just last weekend.

Then Petrino flies in all of the sudden. Perhaps Arky said "Now or never" to Petrino, and he jumped at it.

Then again, maybe he just REALLY wanted out of Atlanta.