PDA

View Full Version : I'm pretty proud of myself

sanantoniosooner
12/12/2007, 11:29 PM
I had a bad experience giving blood when I was in high school and I pretty much haven't responded well to blood-sucking needles ever since.

For a long time I would try to macho my way through experiences and try to be tougher than the needle. And it continued to kick my butt. I finally learned how to defeat it though.

I ignored the freaking thing. I told myself it was no big deal. I'm a man. I'm 40.
I'm likely to get quite a few more in the years to come and it's time to just get over it.

It was nice to not have to sit down and recline before leaving for once.:D

It'll probably kick me next time.......but I was the victor today.

MamaMia
12/12/2007, 11:44 PM
It was nice for you to give. Maybe some lucky poke will get some of your blood and yell Boomer Sooner when we score. :D

GottaHavePride
12/12/2007, 11:54 PM
I'll try that time next time. I react the same way.

rufnek05
12/12/2007, 11:57 PM
good for you. try selling your plasma, that take your blood, spin the plasma out, and put your blood back in you.

sanantoniosooner
12/13/2007, 12:01 AM
I'll try that time next time. I react the same way.
I usually get pretty light headed. After reclining with a little A/C I'm good to go after a few minutes. But this time I hopped right up and left without any issues at all.

When my wife had our second child the doctor was late and the nurse had me holding one of my wife's legs with a front row seat. Afterward I stayed out of the way for a little bit and then asked the nurse for an ammonia stick when things calmed down.

And then there's the time I was going to watch them putting stitches in my hand. That didn't last long.

And then there's that time they were giving me extremely painful injections in plantar warts on my feet.

I've learned my lesson. I'm not going to out macho that needle. I've given it too much power.

proud gonzo
12/13/2007, 12:07 AM
somehow I'm thinking that would not work for me... because i get freaked out just reading this thread.

Curly Bill
12/13/2007, 12:13 AM
I had a spontaneous collapsed lung thingy several years back...well, I watched as the surgeon made the incision between my ribs so they could insert the chest tube.

I was a man! Though not yet 40. :D

...plus they had given me some good drugs beforehand. ;)

tommieharris91
12/13/2007, 12:17 AM
I had a bad experience giving blood when I was in high school and I pretty much haven't responded well to blood-sucking needles ever since.

For a long time I would try to macho my way through experiences and try to be tougher than the needle. And it continued to kick my butt. I finally learned how to defeat it though.

I ignored the freaking thing. I told myself it was no big deal. I'm a man. I'm 40.
I'm likely to get quite a few more in the years to come and it's time to just get over it.

It was nice to not have to sit down and recline before leaving for once.:D

It'll probably kick me next time.......but I was the victor today.

I always thought you were a junkie.

sanantoniosooner
12/13/2007, 12:27 AM
Watching the episiotomy on my wife wasn't a good thing either.

Looked like they used the same scissors kindergardeners use for construction paper.

olevetonahill
12/13/2007, 12:28 AM
K all I got to say is
Ive been Shot , Stabbed . Stomped and Blowed up
A lil old needle dont skeer Me :cool:

olevetonahill
12/13/2007, 12:29 AM
Watching the episiotomy on my wife wasn't a good thing either.

Looked like they used the same scissors kindergardeners use for construction paper.
But did you ask fer " the Husband stich " ?

SoonerGirl06
12/13/2007, 12:35 AM
For some reason or another guys are the worst at passing out at the sight of needles, blood and/or pain. I think it's some vagal response.

Anyhow, I had a patient one time (big ol' guy-6'5 300#) did the ol' tree falling maneuver on me one time. Went straight back, stiff as a board. Left a indentation in the floor where his head hit. Not. Pretty.

olevetonahill
12/13/2007, 12:39 AM
For some reason or another guys are the worst at passing out at the sight of needles, blood and/or pain. I think it's some vagal response.

Anyhow, I had a patient one time (big ol' guy-6'5 300#) did the ol' tree falling maneuver on me one time. Went straight back, stiff as a board. Left a indentation in the floor where his head hit. Not. Pretty.

So a Punnany ?
This Olevet aint skeered . Nuff said

SoonerGirl06
12/13/2007, 12:41 AM
So a Punnany ?
This Olevet aint skeered . Nuff said

Not a VAGINAL response. A VAGAL response!

Good gawd what am I gonna do with you ya ol' fart?

olevetonahill
12/13/2007, 12:42 AM
Not a VAGINAL response. A VAGAL response!

**** me to death ?:D

SoonerGirl06
12/13/2007, 12:44 AM
I've never **** someone to death. I guess there's always a first time, huh?

Curly Bill
12/13/2007, 12:45 AM

Boy, you opened yourself up with that one. :eek:

SoonerGirl06
12/13/2007, 12:45 AM
Actually, I'd have to revive you if I **** you to death... being that I'm a medical professional and all. I did take an oath you know.

;)

SoonerGirl06
12/13/2007, 12:46 AM
Boy, you opened yourself up with that one. :eek:

With Olevet, I open myself up for a lot of things. :eek:

:D :D

olevetonahill
12/13/2007, 12:46 AM
Actually, I'd have to revive you if I **** you to death... being that I'm a medical professional and all. I did take an oath you know.

;)

Then we could start all over :hot:

SoonerGirl06
12/13/2007, 01:00 AM
:D

You're such a lucky bastage!

critical_phil
12/13/2007, 01:17 AM
For some reason or another guys are the worst at passing out at the sight of needles, blood and/or pain.

not good ol' c_p, RN.

wanna know what i had my peter skinners all up in today? an 85 year old's va-jay-jay.

for a good time, GIS cystocele.

ywia.

olevetonahill
12/13/2007, 03:24 AM
not good ol' c_p, RN.

wanna know what i had my peter skinners all up in today? an 85 year old's va-jay-jay.

ywia.

Not NO but HELL NO .
pervert

sanantoniosooner
12/13/2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks guys.

The "feel good" story of the year don't feel so good anymore.

Hamhock
12/13/2007, 09:35 AM
But did you ask fer " the Husband stich " ?

i did. we thought we were done having kids so i asked him to put one more in.

i was the only person in the room that thought it was funny.

Mongo
12/13/2007, 09:36 AM

you couldnt pay me enough money to deal with that

nasty bastard

OUDoc
12/13/2007, 09:37 AM
not good ol' c_p, RN.

ywia.
In med school I had to do a pelvic on a 80-ish yo woman who's last period was 2 years before I was born. It just seemed so wrong at the time. Still does. :)

Oh, don't watch the needles and you'll be fine. I never look when I'm getting blood drawn or a shot. I don't see the point in looking.

sooner_born_1960
12/13/2007, 09:46 AM
Good for you, SAS.
And folks, if you haven't given blood lately, go do it. The OBI had to cancel several donation events this week because of the weather. They are running low on blood.

OCUDad
12/13/2007, 11:49 AM
This thread is what the SO is all about. It’s serious, humorous, heart-warming, and stomach-turning.

sas – good for you for giving blood
olevet and SG06 – get a d*mn room
critical_phil – shame on you
OUDoc – stop encouraging c_p

olevetonahill
12/13/2007, 01:03 PM
I m good with the second .:P :hot:

Miko
12/13/2007, 04:21 PM
I've given it too much power.

See, that's your problem. You've been putting it on a pedestal! ;)

SoonerJack
12/14/2007, 09:02 AM
I've learned my lesson. I'm not going to out macho that needle. I've given it too much power.

Hilarious, SAS, hilarious.

swardboy
12/14/2007, 09:20 AM
Having my legs elevated during the procedure helped my tendency to almost pass out. Oh, and all the cookies I can eat afterwards really gives me something else to focus on...:D

jr4ou
12/14/2007, 06:04 PM
last time i gave blood i felt fine, went to eat the cookies afterward and was just about to leave when i started to feel dizzy and sick... the doc asked if i was okay and i was.......nooo had to drink gatorade

SoonerGirl06
12/14/2007, 06:07 PM
not good ol' c_p, RN.

ywia.

A cystocele is not what I would call a good time.

However, I would like to hear more about peter skinners. ;)

SoonerGirl06
12/14/2007, 06:09 PM
I m good with the second .:P :hot:

I'll second that. :P

olevetonahill
12/14/2007, 07:17 PM
I'll second that. :P
We gots us a quorum :hot:

Scott D
12/14/2007, 07:21 PM
Well sas, that makes my only having a sharp inhalation of breath when a surgeon was cutting in an area that was missed by the numbing needle pale in comparison. ;)

good on you for defeating the needle fear.