PDA

View Full Version : This must drive the Donks nutz

Okla-homey
12/12/2007, 08:48 AM
PRINCETON, NJ -- A new Gallup Poll, conducted Dec. 6-9, finds 37% of Americans approving of the job George W. Bush is doing as president, an improvement from his recent scores in the low 30s. Meanwhile, 22% of Americans approve of Congress, essentially unchanged from last month.

thus, a little less than 2/3 of Americans don't dig Elephant W, but more than 3/4's of Americans think the Donk-run Congress is a shambles.

OU4LIFE
12/12/2007, 08:51 AM
"There's not a chin behind Chuck Norris' beard, just another fist"

sooneron
12/12/2007, 08:58 AM
Has congress' approval ever been over 30%? Just curious. It's easier to put window dressing on one man and the job he's doing (republican or dem), it has to be much more difficult to get out the good pr for a over 400 people that disagree on pretty much everything.

OUDoc
12/12/2007, 09:10 AM
People are finally realizing that all politicians are full of sh*t.

Sooner_Bob
12/12/2007, 09:23 AM
Randy Couture once visited the Virgin Islands. Now, they're just called--"The Islands".

Czar Soonerov
12/12/2007, 09:31 AM
I've never heard the term "Donk" before.

:confused:

Sooner_Bob
12/12/2007, 09:36 AM
Donk is a slang term that can be used for:

* The act of adding a bottle cap during the brewing process, Australia & UK
* United States Democratic Party
* bodyguard, Crocodile Dundee
* Engine, New Zealand and Australia
* stupidity, South Australia
* Dônk, type of wine
* Poker jargon, inexperienced, unskilled or foolish poker player
* Donk (automobile) custom sports car with gigantic custom wheels
* A song demo by the Grumpy Justins

Linky Donky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donk)

OUDoc
12/12/2007, 09:38 AM
I've never heard the term "Donk" before.

:confused:
Isn't he the one on the left?

http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/images_movies/crocdundee_4.jpg

Soonrboy
12/12/2007, 09:58 AM
a pile of crap is still a pile of crap, no matter how many turds are on it...

or something like that..:)

OU4LIFE
12/12/2007, 11:40 AM
Donk is a slang term that can be used for:

* The act of adding a bottle cap during the brewing process, Australia & UK
* United States Democratic Party
* bodyguard, Crocodile Dundee
* Engine, New Zealand and Australia
* stupidity, South Australia
* Dônk, type of wine
* Poker jargon, inexperienced, unskilled or foolish poker player
* Donk (automobile) custom sports car with gigantic custom wheels
* A song demo by the Grumpy Justins

Linky Donky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donk)

* I big drive in golf. 'He donked that one'

yermom
12/12/2007, 12:07 PM
* bad poker players

yermom
12/12/2007, 12:14 PM
oh, and as much as everyone hates Bush, i think the Dems are getting this next election giftwrapped, but it seems like everyone wants to get cute and try to get a woman or black president elected. i just have a feeling that isn't going to work out as planned.

MextheBulldog
12/12/2007, 12:46 PM
37% is an improvement...yikes

Civicus_Sooner
12/12/2007, 01:00 PM
it seems like everyone wants to get cute and try to get a woman or black president elected. i just have a feeling that isn't going to work out as planned.I think your instincts are very good.

limey_sooner
12/12/2007, 02:21 PM
And yet as bad as it is when you break it down by party, they still do better than republicans.

ABC News/Washington Post Poll. Dec. 6-9, 2007. N=1,136 adults nationwide.

"Do you approve or disapprove of the way the Democrats in Congress are doing their job?"
Approve Disapprove Unsure
40% 53% 6%

"Do you approve or disapprove of the way the Republicans in Congress are doing their job?"

Approve Disapprove Unsure
32% 63% 5%

Ike
12/12/2007, 02:28 PM
I trust opinion polls about as much as I trust a really untrustworthy thing.

Here is one reason why:
http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/NewsDetails.aspx?myId=218

Nearly two-thirds, 65 percent, of Americans prefer electing their judges rather than having governors nominate them from a list prepared by a nonpartisan committee.

Yet when judges run for office they usually have to raise money for their election campaigns. Seven in 10 Americans believe that the necessity to raise campaign funds will affect a judge’s ruling once in office. Sixty-three percent of Americans think that pressures from past contributors would affect a judge’s fairness and impartiality to a great or moderate extent.

This poll, like pretty much all other polls, demonstrates one or more of three things:
a) Most Americans really have no idea what they think when it comes to politics/policy/government, but can't bring themselves to say that they are unsure of their opinion on a question.
b) Most Americans are silly and irrational
c) The people doing the poll have no idea how to actually measure whatever it is they really want to measure.

sooner_born_1960
12/12/2007, 02:43 PM
c) The people doing the poll have no idea how to actually measure whatever it is they really want to measure.
frankensooner has that problem, also. :)

Frozen Sooner
12/12/2007, 02:47 PM
Why would the Denver NFL team care one way or the other about this?

yermom
12/12/2007, 02:49 PM
I trust opinion polls about as much as I trust a really untrustworthy thing.

Here is one reason why:
http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/NewsDetails.aspx?myId=218

This poll, like pretty much all other polls, demonstrates one or more of three things:
a) Most Americans really have no idea what they think when it comes to politics/policy/government, but can't bring themselves to say that they are unsure of their opinion on a question.

i like "b", only change that to "people"

Okla-homey
12/12/2007, 07:39 PM

Most Americans can name all three American Idol judges but can't name three of the nine Supreme Court justices. Since a people tend to get the government they deserve, I shivver at our future prospects.

Frozen Sooner
12/12/2007, 07:42 PM
Polling people on the performance of Congress as a whole is kind of a bad indicator anyhow. Most people when asked about their individual representatives and Senators will say they're doing an OK job.

Witness my first reactions to Ted Stevens' stunts. Everyone else in the country hates the guy, but Alaskans love him.

Okla-homey
12/12/2007, 07:50 PM
Polling people on the performance of Congress as a whole is kind of a bad indicator anyhow. Most people when asked about their individual representatives and Senators will say they're doing an OK job.

Witness my first reactions to Ted Stevens' stunts. Everyone else in the country hates the guy, but Alaskans love him.

A billion federal dollars for a bridge to an island where 50 people live? Then he threw a ridiculous public tantrum on the floor of the Senate when told no way. Yep, he's a peach.

olevetonahill
12/12/2007, 07:52 PM
Shoulda been a POLE . ****ing Morans

Frozen Sooner
12/12/2007, 07:58 PM
A billion federal dollars for a bridge to an island where 50 people live? Then he threw a ridiculous public tantrum on the floor of the Senate when told no way. Yep, he's a peach.

1. Wasn't anywhere near a billion.

2. The bridge was from the mainland (where thousands of people live) to the island where the airport is located. No, not a lot of people live at the airport.

3. A good amount of the money was actualyl for a bridge from Anchorage to Point MacKenzie, not just the Gravina Island bridge. I assure you, more than 50 people live in both places.

Anyhow, just reinforces my point. There's a reason Senators and Congressmen tend to get reelected no matter how much everyone thinks Congress as a whole is doing a bad job.

Curly Bill
12/12/2007, 10:38 PM
Wasn't anywhere near a billion.

Yeah, $398,000,000 isn't even close to a billion. ;)

Okla-homey
12/12/2007, 11:10 PM
1. Wasn't anywhere near a billion.

2. The bridge was from the mainland (where thousands of people live) to the island where the airport is located. No, not a lot of people live at the airport.

Here's a thought. How much to build a runway on the mainland? Thus obviating the need for expensive bridge to the island airport to board Air Tundra for non-stop service to Ketchikan, Pt. Barrow and Cape Romansov. Populations 327...plus four sled dogs and a pet seal. ;)

Curly Bill
12/12/2007, 11:15 PM
Here's a thought. How much to build a runway on the mainland? Thus obviating the need for expensive bridge to the island airport to board Air Tundra for non-stop service to Ketchikan, Pt. Barrow and Cape Romansov. Populations 327...plus four sled dogs and a pet seal. ;)

...but then that wouldn't provide the same number of jobs to the people of Alaska, nor the same amount of construction work to the construction firms of Alaska that are such big supporters of Mr. Stevens. ;)

Okla-homey
12/12/2007, 11:20 PM
...but then that wouldn't provide the same number of jobs to the people of Alaska, nor the same amount of construction work to the construction firms of Alaska that are such big supporters of Mr. Stevens. ;)

cuz in the end, all politic$ are local.

Another example: the people of WV return Robt. Byrd to the Senate each time because he brings home the bacon to WV. The dollars he's extorted from the big ol' federal barrel-o-cash to benefit that sordid collection of sibling-fokkers is mind numbing.

Curly Bill
12/12/2007, 11:24 PM
I'm not even sure Robert Byrd is still alive. There may be someone operating him as a puppet from the ceiling of the senate chambers. I like how he's often pointed to as a paragon of political virtue, when in truth he's pretty much nothing but a political robber barron.

mdklatt
12/12/2007, 11:36 PM
Here's a thought. How much to build a runway on the mainland?

Where would you put it? I just looked at that area on Google Maps. That airport is the only place you could put an airport.

Frozen Sooner
12/12/2007, 11:40 PM
Where would you put it? I just looked at that area on Google Maps. That airport is the only place you could put an airport.

Hush. Everything looks like Oklahoma. Nobody has mountains and national forests and stuff.

Ike
12/13/2007, 12:17 AM
Anyhow, just reinforces my point. There's a reason Senators and Congressmen tend to get reelected no matter how much everyone thinks Congress as a whole is doing a bad job.

I'll give you your support for him w.r.t. the so-called 'bridge to nowhere'. Personally, I thought some people were just using it as a clever way to score cheap political points with their own base.

OTOH, You had to be shaking your head after the 'tubes' comment.

Frozen Sooner
12/13/2007, 12:19 AM
Not so much the tubes comment as the "someone sent me an internet" comment. I hear internet bandwidth described in terms of pipes all the time, not such a huge stretch to tubes from pipes. :D

OU4LIFE
12/13/2007, 08:14 AM
Hush. nothing matters except Oklahoma. Nobody else's crap matters.

agreed. ;)

Sooner_Bob
12/13/2007, 08:28 AM
Mega-Float (http://www.mlit.go.jp/english/maritime/mega_float.html) = problem solved. No pork in that project. :D

OUDoc
12/13/2007, 09:18 AM
Federal dollars to level the mountains and build a mainland airport.
Duh.

Jerk
12/13/2007, 09:28 AM
Federal dollars to level the mountains and build a mainland airport.
Duh.

That reminds me of a Cold War story I saw on the Hitler Channel.

The dirty Russian commies built a radio tower near the approach to the runway we were using during the Berlin Airlift. This was in the French occupied zone. And, contrary to their character, the French tore the tower down.

The Soviets asked, "How could you do this?"

The French Colonel replied, "With engineers and dynamite."

So, yes, with engineers and dynamite, you can accomplish a lot.