Will
12/11/2007, 11:18 PM
Three Big 12 coaches have been apart of the Stoops coaching staff at OU.. :D

Watch Me Stride
12/11/2007, 11:34 PM
Stoops pretty much owns the big 12. :D

KantoSooner
12/12/2007, 01:09 AM
You think anyone has ever done a 'bloodline' for coaches over the years?

Minnesota and Northwestern have had major impact over the years, as has Arkansas (the King), and Stoops would have to be included with Spurrier and Snyder....and then all of his 'progeny'.

It would be kind of fun to see if you could portray it all graphically. Kind of parallels the history of the modern game, I would think.

Anyone know if Joe Pa has been a 'teacher'?

Crucifax Autumn
12/12/2007, 01:14 AM
Maybe, but it's more likely that his assistants have been propping that program up for the last 20 years. Those guys aren't being taught, they're learning on the job. Notice that nothing really changed when Paterno had that big bout of the squirts mid game last year and nothing really changed when he broke his leg either.

KantoSooner
12/12/2007, 01:18 AM
True, true. It's kind of odd, though that you never hear of other head coaches who were assistants to him. I mean, he's been HC there for what? 99 years?

Crucifax Autumn
12/12/2007, 01:24 AM
Yeah, I think he coached Thomas Jefferson when he was a star kicker there.

sanantoniosooner
12/12/2007, 01:30 AM
I guess people forgot who Bill Snyder is, or Hayden Frye for that matter. Except for Kanto of course.......

;)

Frozen Sooner
12/12/2007, 01:34 AM
Heh. Yeah, Bob Stoops is part of the Hayden Frye tree, but he's got his own tree going pretty well himself.

JoPa hasn't really nurtured a lot of coaches. The main reason was that Sandusky was the guy everyone thought was going to take over when JoPa retired, so he stuck it out for like 20 odd years and finally retired first.

Bowden has quite a few.

Switzer has a bunch as well, particularly that rat-lookin' guy up in Denver.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/12/2007, 02:09 AM
Ummm....

Mind if I chime in?...

That is... as long as none of you thinks I am going to jinx it....

Bob Stoops.

We are in an "era", everybody.

In these days and ages, "eras", as they are, are a tad bit less than what many of us growing up would have defined.

Nonetheless, here we are in 9 years:

1 National Championship
5 Conference Championships
1 of a VERY small handfull of teams that has participated in every BCS game... OU...Miami... and who?....
2 BCS championships...
4 Bowl Championships
7-2 v. LoSuRs
4-1 v. Bugeaters
6-3 v. wHorns

Oh, and three head coaches from "the line" performing as well as anyone in the country..... and more being considered...

I would like for us to hold onto Stoops for 10-15 more years. Likely not to happen.

But, in this modern age...

What a ride!

KantoSooner
12/12/2007, 03:32 AM
Far be it from me to take away from The Bobness.

I just thought it would be fun to look at who'd come from where over the years. That's yet another way to measure the greatness of a program......and yet another way in which OU excels.

How many head coaches of note has UT had who did NOT serve first at OU?

heheheheheheheheh

garland sooner
12/12/2007, 09:15 PM
i've heard that defunct QB major applewhite is a rising assistant. I doubt that means anything.