PDA

View Full Version : Navy Reserves or Air Force Reserves?

mikeb
12/11/2007, 06:06 PM
Anyone on here in either of these reserves? If so can you help me make a decision on which one to join?

KABOOKIE
12/11/2007, 06:20 PM
Sorry. I was in the Marines. I'd imagine your choice would be like chosing which summer camp you want to go to.

SoonerStormchaser
12/11/2007, 06:21 PM
I can maybe help answer a few on the Air Force side. Whatcha got in mind?

rufnek05
12/11/2007, 06:30 PM
do you really want to be a seaman? but I hear that the navy pays a little better.

OUinFLA
12/11/2007, 06:30 PM
I was in the Navy for 6 years.
If I had it to do over, I'd have joined the Air Force.

2 years stationed in Thailand mountains (my best friend Air Force)
vs 2 years attached to a 5000 person floating carrier.

No brainer in retrospect.

mikeb
12/11/2007, 06:31 PM
Well, I am 31 married with 3 small children. I really would like to avoid deployment for awhile anyways. I have a pretty good civilian job however I just do not like it. I am looking for something in one of these branches that would help me in the long run with a great civilian job.

critical_phil
12/11/2007, 06:39 PM
i was in the usnr for a few years after active doody. imo, reservists are the biggest waste of carbon ever put on god's green earth.

my guess is that 9/10 people in the usnr had never been on active duty, which made it very difficult for me coming from the active duty side. i'd be surprised if most of them could find their asses with both hands, a map, and a garmin shoved up their rectum.

mikeb
12/11/2007, 06:43 PM
i was in the usnr for a few years after active doody. imo, reservists are the biggest waste of carbon ever put on god's green earth.

my guess is that 9/10 people in the usnr had never been on active duty, which made it very difficult for me coming from the active duty side. i'd be surprised if most of them could find their asses with both hands, a map, and a garmin shoved up their rectum.
There is no way I could go active duty and still support my family. It just does not pay enough.

SoonerStormchaser
12/11/2007, 06:46 PM
Ok...would you go as an officer or would you enlist?

If officer, here's what you've gotta put up with thus far (and you wanna be a flyboy):
1. OTS...16 weeks at lovely [barf] Maxwell AFB, Alabama...get your commission
2a. Pilot training...anywhere from 12-18 months (maybe longer if there's a backlog and then you're put on casual for up to a year) at one of four locations: Vance AFB, OK; Columbus AFB, MS; Laughlin AFB, TX or NAS Whiting Field, FL
2b. Nav school...12-18 months (again, depends on the backlog)...at Randolph AFB, TX
3. After you get your pilot/nav wings, it could be up to another 6-8 months at your Replacement Training Unit (RTU) learning and getting certified for your particular airframe.
4. As soon as your qualified, you start your weekend gig...only yes, you can and will get deployed...prolly more so Navy than Air Force.

critical_phil
12/11/2007, 06:46 PM
There is no way I could go active duty and still support my family. It just does not pay enough.

i wouldn't suggest that you did. i'm just saying that, in my experience, you couldn't find a bigger gathering of know-nothing, do-nothings on the planet if you tried.

except maybe at the post office or DMV.

mikeb
12/11/2007, 06:49 PM
i wouldn't suggest that you did. i'm just saying that, in my experience, you couldn't find a bigger gathering of know-nothing, do-nothings on the planet if you tried.

except maybe at the post office or DMV.
LOL

mikeb
12/11/2007, 06:54 PM
Ok...would you go as an officer or would you enlist?

If officer, here's what you've gotta put up with thus far (and you wanna be a flyboy):
1. OTS...16 weeks at lovely [barf] Maxwell AFB, Alabama...get your commission
2a. Pilot training...anywhere from 12-18 months (maybe longer if there's a backlog and then you're put on casual for up to a year) at one of four locations: Vance AFB, OK; Columbus AFB, MS; Laughlin AFB, TX or NAS Whiting Field, FL
2b. Nav school...12-18 months (again, depends on the backlog)...at Randolph AFB, TX
3. After you get your pilot/nav wings, it could be up to another 6-8 months at your Replacement Training Unit (RTU) learning and getting certified for your particular airframe.
4. As soon as your qualified, you start your weekend gig...only yes, you can and will get deployed...prolly more so Navy than Air Force.
I am looking to go in the computer field, electrical, or administrative.

Harry Beanbag
12/11/2007, 06:54 PM

That's why I wanted no part of the reserves after I got out. I was tired enough of some of the idiots on active duty.

critical_phil
12/11/2007, 06:56 PM
That's why I wanted no part of the reserves after I got out. I was tired enough of some of the idiots on active duty.

well, i joined the usnr to get away from the gd marines.

i thought people couldn't get any dumber. man was i wrong.

Harry Beanbag
12/11/2007, 06:56 PM
I am looking to go in the computer field, electrical, or administrative.

Active duty, Navy is the best for technicians. I have no idea about the reserves.

Harry Beanbag
12/11/2007, 06:59 PM
well, i joined the usnr to get away from the gd marines.

i thought people couldn't get any dumber. man was i wrong.

I worked with the smartest group of people I've ever met in the Navy, but I also had to put up the dumbest group of people I've ever met on the same ship, just different jobs. Seriously, I would guess the IQ range between the most intelligent and least intelligent dude on my ship was at least 100 points.

My experience is the bright ones just want to get as far away as possible, the others think it's best life could possibly get so they hang around as long as possible.

SicEmBaylor
12/11/2007, 07:13 PM

I betcha they could find Houston though!

mikeb
12/11/2007, 07:15 PM
Active duty, Navy is the best for technicians. I have no idea about the reserves.
This is what I have been hearing allot along with it being easier to move up in rank in the Navy.

Curly Bill
12/11/2007, 07:20 PM

I was active duty only but I'll agree with your characterization of reservist 100%. It could have just been the field I was in (cryptology) but the ones that came and spent time with us were as useful as a potted plant.

critical_phil
12/11/2007, 07:46 PM
one of the biggest problems i had in the reserves was how different the makeup of the units were as far as rank. it seemed like all enlisted people are E4 or E5 and all officers are O3.

as a result, it was all chiefs and no indians. that's not the way the military is intended to operate.

SoonerStormchaser
12/11/2007, 07:58 PM
Well, as far as AF Reserves go, the majority of the reserves are the flying type and their support (maintenance, etc.)...not too many (if any) comm/engineering positions in the reserves.

Okla-homey
12/11/2007, 09:10 PM
Anyone on here in either of these reserves? If so can you help me make a decision on which one to join?

first off, its the reserve. As in singular case. Civilians say "reserves" like they're talking about the stuff they put on toast at breakfast.

Whether a person chooses to join the Navy, AF, Army or MC Reserve is mostly about which "fits" with their aspirations. I know one thing for sure, there are very few jobs in the AF Reserve which do not have a civilian application, except maybe being a navigator or boom operator on a tanker.

soonerbrat
12/11/2007, 09:22 PM
i say Navy.

Okieflyer
12/12/2007, 08:14 AM
Navy - "It's not just a job, it's an adventure."
Air Force - "It's not just an adventure, it's a job."

I would go Navy if you like to paint rocks and stuff. ;)

frankensooner
12/12/2007, 11:19 AM
If you don't want to be deployed, don't join either.

jr4ou
12/12/2007, 03:05 PM
.Navy.

mikeb
12/12/2007, 03:19 PM
I am joining the Naval Reserve. Thanks

usmc-sooner
12/12/2007, 08:05 PM
Sorry. I was in the Marines. I'd imagine your choice would be like chosing which summer camp you want to go to.

to be fair Kabookie they do make you do a little excercise at summer camp.