OklahomaTuba
12/11/2007, 06:04 PM
Maybe just hired Petrino

Tiptonsooner
12/11/2007, 06:09 PM
That's what WWLS is saying.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/11/2007, 06:12 PM
I refuse to believe it until Petrino actually has a press conference there, signs the contract and stays in Fayetteville for more than one day.

derek430
12/11/2007, 06:14 PM
i think its a good hire.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/11/2007, 06:15 PM
i think its a good hire.
I agree, if it is indeed true. Arkansas people were suckered into believing that Jim Grobe was the coach last week, and Tommy Tuberville the week before. But at least I'm seeing it from legitimate sources, like NFL.com and ESPN instead of the NWA media.

The Maestro
12/11/2007, 06:25 PM
What? Things not working out in Atlanta for him?

OUinFLA
12/11/2007, 06:27 PM
07 R-kansas = 06 Bama

TheUnnamedSooner
12/11/2007, 06:31 PM
Well, this doesn't say that he is the new coach at arky, but does say he's resigned at atlanta...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AoMezb4iFe6swjYxbS4ZC9g5nYcB?slug=ap-petrinoresigns&prov=ap&type=lgns

AllAboutThe'O'
12/11/2007, 06:34 PM
And once again, the list of college coaches who failed in the NFL and the NBA continues to grow....
Pitino
Petrino
Tarkanian
Calipari
Holtz
Saban
Yes, even Bud Wilkinson with the old St. Louis Cardinals.

Arguably the last successful college coach to hit it big in the pros was Jimmy Johnson from the "U" to the Cowboys. You could also make a case for Barry Switzer, who also won a Super Bowl with the Cowboys.

OUinFLA
12/11/2007, 06:44 PM
And once again, the list of college coaches who failed in the NFL and the NBA continues to grow....
Pitino
Petrino
Tarkanian
Calipari
Holtz
Saban

Arguably the last successful college coach to hit it big in the pros was Jimmy Johnson from the "U" to the Cowboys. You could also make a case for Barry Switzer, who also won a Super Bowl with the Cowboys.

the "ole ball coach".

SoonerBOI
12/11/2007, 06:54 PM

I'm not really a big Falcons fan but the media here never liked him. He seems detached from the players from the start. Of course Vick created a big mess for him. Funny thing Petrino assured Blank last night that he was excited to coach next year...in Arkansas?

MojoRisen
12/11/2007, 07:00 PM
The Atlanta Job with the whole Vick fiasco - I am sure was not a good place to be- and I believe the long sighted view was to go with a Younger team- clearly that is not going to go over well for the veterans on the Falcons who in 02 were good but know are aging.

Petrino is a good college coach- Arkansas scored by being able to hire him. I don't think he will bolt for any NFL jobs and he is reportedly getting 3 million
at Arkansas- that is a tough job to beat.

Petrino- has Arkansas back to SWC glory days in 3 years - mark my words...

Harry Beanbag
12/11/2007, 07:03 PM
I could have sworn I heard earlier today they hired Muschamp from Auburn.

Seamus
12/11/2007, 07:04 PM
But at least I'm seeing it from legitimate sources, like NFL.com and ESPN instead of the NWA media.

Straight outta Fayetteville
Crazy mother ****er named Broyles ...

Meh, I got nothin'

MojoRisen
12/11/2007, 07:06 PM
Dope man Dope man you think your so slick- you sold crack to my sister and now she is sick. If she happens to die because of your drug- I am putting in your kilo a 38 slug.

Had too-

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/11/2007, 07:08 PM
And once again, the list of college coaches who failed in the NFL....

Our dear friend, Bill Bidwill, who STILL owns the Cardinals, gave Bud 2 yrs, then fired him. Because, GOD KNOWS, Bud would never have amounted to anything, big loser that he was! Bidwill's genius still shines today. The Cards still rarely make the playoffs, let alone achieve any real success.

bluedogok
12/11/2007, 10:08 PM
I think that it shows the pro game isn't all it's cracked up to be as a coach, especially now with some college jobs paying as well as most NFL jobs.

Ash
12/11/2007, 10:43 PM
Dope man Dope man you think your so slick- you sold crack to my sister and now she is sick. If she happens to die because of your drug- I am putting in your kilo a 38 slug.

Had too-

The word you're looking for is culo.

Huskernsooner71
12/11/2007, 11:39 PM
Confirmed....press conf. on espn right now.

Huskernsooner71
12/11/2007, 11:44 PM
WOw, they just called the "hogs" on the press conf. I'm not a big fan on that one.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/12/2007, 12:03 AM
WOw, they just called the "hogs" on the press conf. I'm not a big fan on that one.
It's standard procedure that once you become a head coach in Arkansas, you must call the hogs. Even Dana Altman had to do it before jumping on the plane back to Omaha, never to return again.

MrJimBeam
12/12/2007, 04:54 AM
It's standard procedure that once you become a head coach in Arkansas, you must call the hogs. Even Dana Altman had to do it before jumping on the plane back to Omaha, never to return again.
You'd have thought that would have ended the tradition forever.

snp
12/12/2007, 05:50 AM
New Arkansas coach calls out oklahoma!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jjeDeLPfaVs&feature=related

r5TPsooner
12/12/2007, 10:27 AM

That was a very stupid move on his part. He had a good thing in Louisville and then he goes to a perennial loser in Atlanta, with a QB that had obvious legal issues on the horizon even before his hire. Now he gets the SEC week in and week out. Good luck Bobby... you seem like a real stand up guy until Michigan or Notre Dame come a calling.

I wouldn't trust that guy with a 10ft pole.

sooner518
12/12/2007, 10:40 AM
New Arkansas coach calls out oklahoma!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jjeDeLPfaVs&feature=related

This guy is like a poor man's Kige Ramsey

NYC Poke
12/12/2007, 11:14 AM
I heard that Casey Dick was just arrested on dogfighting charges.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/12/2007, 11:16 AM
dick = vick

stoops the eternal pimp
12/12/2007, 11:21 AM
Petrino's been down this road before … and likely will again
By Pat Forde
ESPN.com

Updated: December 11, 2007

Petrino Named Arkansas' Head Coach
In the coming days and weeks, the disingenuous drifter will say what Arkansas fans want to hear.

He'll look at them with blank shark eyes and tell them, in a monotone voice, how excited he is to be the coach of the Razorbacks. He will tell them how impressed he is by the tradition and the fan base. He will tell them that the Southeastern Conference is the place he always wanted to coach (and that might be the one true thing he'll say, given how many times he's tried to land a job in the league).

It will be a trumped-up stump speech, as sincere as a politician's pledge to cut taxes. It will simply be the latest pack of lies in a career full of them.

But it will be what Arkansas fans want to hear, and the poor saps will be desperate to believe him. During their arduous search to replace Houston Nutt, they've been used and abused by one-fourth of the coaches in the ACC -- first Butch Davis, then Tommy Bowden, then Jim Grobe. Auburn's Tommy Tuberville flirted for a minute as well.

So hiring a guy with a 41-9 college record will get the blood pumping. But those Arkansas fans ready to embrace their new hotshot coach and his pretty ball plays need to understand one thing:

Bobby Petrino gave Louisville fans plenty of reasons to smile by going 41-9 from 2003-06.

The disingenuous drifter doesn't love you or any other fan base. He doesn't love any school or any NFL franchise. He loves himself, his playbook and his bank account.

That's it. Don't expect it to change.

Bobby Petrino will return your embrace, Hog fans. But while he's hugging you he'll be looking over your shoulder, scanning the terrain for his next hook-up.

Even in a profession rife with dishonest posturing, Petrino is singularly mercenary. Loyalty, allegiance, commitment and honesty are foreign concepts to him. It must be a sad existence.

I apologize to Alabama's Nick Saban -- last year I named him president of the Liar's Club. He's been impeached and replaced by the disingenuous drifter.

Petrino's old boss at Louisville, Tom Jurich, took the high road when asked Tuesday night about the drifter's latest change of address.

"He's a great football coach," Jurich said, adding that he spoke to Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long about Petrino last week and "said nothing to discourage him" from hiring his old coach.

But Jurich did allow that he's "not totally surprised" Petrino would move on less than a year after leaving Louisville for a $24 million contract with the Atlanta Falcons.

"He's five for five," Jurich explained.

What he meant: this is the fifth straight year Bobby Petrino has tried to get another job. Every single season he's been a head coach, he's ended it by pursuing something else.

Follow the grease stain that is the disingenuous drifter's career path:

• In 2003, his first year as a head coach at the University of Louisville, Petrino went behind the back of his employer and his onetime boss, Tuberville, to negotiate a deal replacing him at Auburn. He held a clandestine meeting across the Ohio River from Louisville in southern Indiana with Auburn officials, two days before both the Tigers and Cardinals played their final regular-season games.

It was, by any rendering, a spectacular bit of philandering by both interested parties.

Petrino lied about having any contact with Auburn officials -- until two reporters for The (Louisville) Courier-Journal confronted him with documentation of the private plane that brought the university president and athletic director into Petrino's backyard. I was one of the two reporters. And even when faced with the evidence, Petrino resisted telling the truth until Auburn issued a statement owning up to the whole affair.

Boxed into a corner, Petrino asked forgiveness and chalked it up to the inexperience of a "young coach." Louisville forgave him because he was 9-3 and his offense blew up scoreboards.

It wouldn't be the last time Petrino toyed with the school's loyalties, or the last time he was forgiven for doing so.

• In 2004, Petrino interviewed for the Notre Dame job and had discussions with Florida and Mississippi about their jobs. Then, on Dec. 7, he pledged his loyalty to Louisville.

"I want to make it clear that I'm not interested in any other coaching jobs, and am happy at the University of Louisville," Petrino said. "… I'm very excited about our move into the Big East, the opportunity to play in a BCS bowl game and the chance to compete for a national championship. [School president] Dr. James Ramsey and Tom Jurich, through their hard work and dedication, have made this the best job in the country. As I've stated before, Louisville is the perfect place to raise a family and I plan for all four of my children to graduate from high school in Louisville."

On Dec. 21, Petrino signed an enhanced contract to stay with the Cardinals.

On Dec. 26 -- well before the Petrino children had graduated from high school -- he interviewed with LSU to replace Saban. On Jan. 1, 2005, when it became obvious that he'd lost out to Les Miles, Petrino pulled out of consideration.

On the inside, several Louisville administrators were disappointed they had to keep him. They were sick of the game -- but there was no firing a guy who just went 12-1.

• In 2005, Petrino interviewed with the Oakland Raiders. That's after telling people for years that he had no interest in coaching the pros -- college was where he wanted to be. He ultimately turned down the job and professed his commitment to the Cardinals again.

• On July 13, 2006, Petrino signed a 10-year contract worth up to $25 million -- a staggering deal for a school of Louisville's modest football heritage and fan base. The day he signed it, Petrino vowed again that Louisville was home. He made a point of insisting that a $1 million buyout provision be put into the contract, putting his money where his dissembling mouth is.

"We did want to make a statement," the disingenuous drifter said that day about the buyout. "… I wanted to make sure everyone understood -- I know I've said it -- that this is where I want to be, where my family wants to be. But I want everyone to really believe it."

Sure, he wanted everyone to believe it. Not because it was true, of course. Just because he was tired of answering questions about his wandering eye.

Five months later, he was gone to Atlanta.

Even this time around, there have been recent pronouncements of commitment to the task at hand and the people who write his checks.

On Nov. 26, Petrino told the Associated Press that he was staying in Atlanta. "I haven't given it [college coaching vacancies] one bit of thought," he said.

Shockingly, that didn't hold up, either.

Early in his career, Rick Pitino was famously called Larry Brown on training wheels. Petrino isn't Larry Brown on training wheels; he's Larry Brown in a Maserati.

The good news for Arkansas is that it might be the last school willing to give this guy anything more than what he deserves: a one-year contract and a monitoring device on his ankle. The NFL certainly will never give him another chance as a head coach, not after fleeing with three games left in the season and undercutting an owner like Arthur Blank. And every college in the country should know by now how fickle Petrino can be.

Even in what appears to be a major rebuilding year for the Hogs in 2008, I predict Petrino will do better than expected. He's that good as a coach -- for my money, the best offensive game-planner and tactician since Steve Spurrier's heyday at Florida. That will be a welcome dynamic at a school that struggled to diversify its offense beyond Darren McFadden and Felix Jones the past two years.

But a little success can be a dangerous thing. It might tempt some deluded and desperate school to offer Bobby Petrino a job -- and that's a temptation the disingenuous drifter is powerless to resist.

CORNholio
12/12/2007, 02:13 PM

Same here. It makes me embarrassed for them, kinda. During my time in Arkie they referred to it as "the most recognizable chant in the world" or something.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/12/2007, 03:10 PM
I know nothing has ever pierced my nerves as much as being at the 2001 Cotton Bowl and sitting next to some guy doing it over and over.....Even to the point that I started taunting him and thats not typical of me...at 9 am anyway...in freezing weather