PDA

View Full Version : SI says OU's wrestler is...

Desert Sapper
12/11/2007, 04:56 PM
Rowdy Roddy Piper!

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/sioncampus/12/05/quick.slants/p1_piper.jpg

OKLAHOMA -- Rowdy Roddy Piper

While the Sooners might be more noted for their speed on defense and a timely defeat of Missouri, their calling card has been team attitude; just like Piper, they've carried chips on their shoulders all season long. Seriously, they're always angry. And likewise, Oklahoma has traditionally shown the same propensity to disappear and reappear from generation to generation.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/sioncampus/12/05/quick.slants/index.html

Ardmore_Sooner
12/11/2007, 05:09 PM
Kansas = Doink the Clown

heh.

SoonerStormchaser
12/11/2007, 08:03 PM
Now that's funny!

snp
12/11/2007, 08:17 PM
Kansas should be Yokozuna.

SoonerStormchaser
12/11/2007, 08:18 PM
So does this make Baylor the equivalent of Bozo the Clown?

Little Al
12/12/2007, 12:14 AM
USC = Jerry Lewis?

pott_2
12/12/2007, 12:21 AM
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/bige4u97/Earthquake.jpg

stoops the eternal pimp
12/12/2007, 10:29 AM
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/bige4u97/Earthquake.jpg

RIP Earthquake AKA John Tenta

stoopified
12/12/2007, 12:16 PM
Naw-Ho Ho.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/12/2007, 01:00 PM
Would OSU be the Honkey Tonk Man?

TopDawg
12/12/2007, 01:11 PM
Heh. On page 2 of that column:

I think I'm at the point where I start getting the heebie jeebies anytime an Oklahoma State coach (past or present) holds a press conference. Between Mike Gundy's tirade earlier this season and Les Miles' continued rants throughout the year, I'm starting to wonder if the water in Stillwater, Oklahoma is laced with some combination of equine steroids and Red Bull.

Miles' latest overaggressive comments were aimed at ESPN's "false" reports that he would take over for Lloyd Carr in Ann Arbor in 2008. However, he has yet to definitively say no to the job. In a world that still offers slimy characters like Nick Saban $4 million per season, this is important to note. Trustworthiness among your favorite coaches, quite simply, is no longer trustworthy. And with talk being cheaper than ever, would anyone truly be surprised to see Miles manning Michigan after LSU's title shot in January? I wouldn't.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/12/2007, 01:15 PM
osu would be Barry Horowitz

snp
12/12/2007, 01:27 PM
Texas is Gold Dust.

Pricetag
12/12/2007, 02:24 PM
Baylor is like one of those '80s jobbers who wore matching plain shorts and boots and went by their real name.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/12/2007, 02:29 PM
Didja see page two of that article?...

SOMETHING'S IN THAT STILLWATER WATER

I think I'm at the point where I start getting the heebie jeebies anytime an Oklahoma State coach (past or present) holds a press conference. Between Mike Gundy's tirade earlier this season and Les Miles' continued rants throughout the year, I'm starting to wonder if the water in Stillwater, Oklahoma is laced with some combination of equine steroids and Red Bull.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/sioncampus/12/05/quick.slants/1.html

Too funny...

TopDawg
12/12/2007, 02:36 PM
Didja see page two of that article?...

I did. (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2153648&postcount=11)

OUmillenium
12/13/2007, 12:04 AM
I love Piper but he was never a World Champ so that doesn't jive with our 7 MNCs.

How bout Nick Bockwinkel for OU, cocky but one of the all time greats and a champion for years.

bstuff1979
12/13/2007, 12:29 AM
Miami "u" = Coco B. Ware (fun in the '80s, to a degree. m.i.a. since)
OU= Hulk Hogan. I haven't wathed much wrastlin' since my early childhood, but I've flipped ch.'s enough to know that he's been off and on. Multiple titles and whatnot.
Nebraska= Andre the Giant. Great for a while, and now (sadly, at least for the wrestler) dead.

Spanish Sooner
12/13/2007, 12:48 AM
I think OU is more like Triple H. Everyone complains about them always being in the championship hunt, and you either like him or hate him. He has been known to bad mouth authority, and skirt a thin line. He is also known to have an attitude. He can also be popular as the dominating heel that just kicks everyones ***, or the loveable face that everyone cheers on...kinda like us

John Kochtoston
12/13/2007, 12:56 AM
Arkansas has to be Tommy Rich. Won a world title for 3 days way back when, then spent the rest of his career trying to get people to believe he really was a world-championship caliber wrestler.

texas bandman
12/13/2007, 01:15 AM
I think Oklahoma's wrestler should be Danny Hodge. I remember watching him on TV as a kid. Here's a brief biography from the Professional Wrestlers Hall of Fame.

Danny Hodge
Born in Perry, Oklahoma on May13th, 1932 Danny Hodge is known as "The Wrestler's Wrestler". Those of us who know Danny have a hard time believing that this mild mannered, easy going, perfect gentlemen is, and was, one of the most feared combatants ever to wear wrestling tights or put on the boxing gloves. Only two men, Paul Berlenbach and Danny Hodge, have held national championships in both sports.

Hodge stormed out of the Oklahoma plains in the early 1950's and first captured the state title while at Perry High School. Upon high school graduation, he joined the Navy and won a spot on the 1952 Olympic Wrestling team in Helsinki, where, at age nineteen, he placed fifth. Upon military completion, the future legend entered the University of Oklahoma. Danny won three national titles and was named the NCAA "Wrestler of the Year" in both his junior and senior years. Impressively, he was never taken off his feet during his entire amateur career and never surrendered a takedown.

At the 1956 Olympics in Melbourne, Danny, who had just defeated four opponents, then faced the Bulgarian wrestler. Many still consider the referee's call in that match to be a disgrace to Olympic officiating. Danny suffered his first loss and had to settle for the Silver medal. In his next and final match against a Russian wrestler, he applied his three quarter nelson with such force that the hold was barred from all future Olympics as being too brutal and vicious.

Upset with the Olympic outcome, he decided to give boxing a try. Danny had seventeen straight victories and won the National Golden Gloves championship, He turned professional but the pay offs were not what he expected as a boxer, so boxing's loss was to be wrestling's gain.

For almost twenty years, Danny dominated the NWA Jr. Heavyweight division by wrestling all of the top stars and eventually winning the title from PWHF'er Angelo Savoldi. In Japan, he is a legend and only Lou Thesz and Dick Beyer can claim the same fame there. A match with Danny Hodge could be a two year training session in one hour or a night you would never want to repeat. His unbelievable grip and upper body strength could make you yell like a stuck pig as many men vainly attempted to test his famed grip. A handshake could drop even the strongest wrestlers to their knees in pain.

With the April 1, 1957 issue, Danny became the only depicted amateur wrestler ever to appear on the cover of Sports Illustrated. He also has the distinction of being on the cover of the Perry phone book. Danny has received almost every honor the wrestling world has to offer. He is a Wrestling Institute Hall of Fame member, a two-time Cauliflower Alley honoree, and received the Lou Thesz Memorial Award. Many major wrestling tournaments today are called the Danny Hodge Invitational. At seventy-five years of age, he remains active in the amateur wrestling world.

pott_2
12/13/2007, 01:33 AM
Texas is Gold Dust.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q28/doubled7868/5200_goldust.jpg

hook em horns (in a very feminine voice)

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/13/2007, 09:51 AM
Would Baylor be Lord Alfred Hayes?