PDA

View Full Version : MY POWER'S ON!

Okla-homey
12/11/2007, 03:54 PM
Tried a leetle trick I learned in hurricane country. Call your house, if the answering machine picks up, you got electrons flowing into your house.

PRAISE BE PSO!

I wonder if this means I can no longer qualify for my FEMA debit card? I WANT MY FREE FEMA TRAILER DAMMIT!

proud gonzo
12/11/2007, 03:58 PM
wouldn't work for me. I don't have a home phone or answering machine. :O

IB4OU2
12/11/2007, 04:00 PM
Tried a leetle trick I learned in hurricane country. Call your house, if the answering machine picks up, you got electrons flowing into your house.

PRAISE BE PSO!

I wonder if this means I can no longer qualify for my FEMA debit card? I WANT MY FREE FEMA TRAILER DAMMIT!

You south Tulsa folk get preferential treatment compared to us mid towners....:(

rufnek05
12/11/2007, 04:05 PM
welcome to the 21st century.

C&CDean
12/11/2007, 04:07 PM
****. I just called the hizzouse and it rang and rang and rang....

Guess we'll have another night sitting around the fireplace.

soonernation
12/11/2007, 04:17 PM
wouldn't work for me. I don't have a home phone or answering machine. :O

Call your cell phone. If your voice mail picks up then you have power. DUH!!!!!

TexasLidig8r
12/11/2007, 05:31 PM
****. I just called the hizzouse and it rang and rang and rang....

Guess we'll have another night sitting around the fireplace.

Does it bring back memories of your frontier days?

Mjcpr
12/11/2007, 05:50 PM
Want some company, Homey?

:D

sooner_born_1960
12/11/2007, 07:06 PM
If your "answering machine" is Call Notes, that trick won't work.
But I'm glad you gots the power.

BigRedJed
12/11/2007, 07:13 PM
Having lost power in many an OKC ice storm over the years (including one outage that lasted more than a week), I'm not sure whether it's better to lose power or not lose it. Yeah, I'm glad I've got power, but I feel like I'm running a damn hotel.

goingoneight
12/11/2007, 07:26 PM
Anyone know if Broken Arrow is seeing progress yet? I'm on about 30 minutes more of battery on my laptop, then I lose all connection to the outside world unless this little blackout shindig ends soon.

proud gonzo
12/11/2007, 07:29 PM
Having lost power in many an OKC ice storm over the years (including one outage that lasted more than a week), I'm not sure whether it's better to lose power or not lose it. Yeah, I'm glad I've got power, but I feel like I'm running a damn hotel.wouldn't be a problem if you were a heartless bastard ;)

Shneeg11
12/11/2007, 07:31 PM
Finally got the power back on about an hour ago, Granted we weren't without it for a full 24 hours, that's plenty long enough for me. I hope everyone who is without power gets it back on pretty soon!!! Good luck to all

yermom
12/11/2007, 07:32 PM
Anyone know if Broken Arrow is seeing progress yet? I'm on about 30 minutes more of battery on my laptop, then I lose all connection to the outside world unless this little blackout shindig ends soon.

power. inverter.

i wonder if Wal-Mart has any left :eek:

i really need to invest in a chainsaw ;)

def_lazer_fc
12/11/2007, 07:38 PM
i have the power!!!! (as of 5 minutes ago)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e376/def_lazer_fc/He-Man1.jpg

GottaHavePride
12/11/2007, 08:47 PM
power. inverter.

i wonder if Wal-Mart has any left :eek:

i really need to invest in a chainsaw ;)

Or a flux capacitor. That would do it.

John Kochtoston
12/11/2007, 09:37 PM
If your "answering machine" is Call Notes, that trick won't work.
But I'm glad you gots the power.
The trick with call notes (at least with Cox) is if the voicemail picks up without any rings, you have no power. If it rings the normal amount of times, then you're set.

Czar Soonerov
12/11/2007, 11:16 PM
Our power flickered this afternoon. I had to reset the ****ing clock on the microwave, my son lost his "dynasty season" on his game cube, and VK missed her stories because the DVR had to reboot... I'm so ****ed.[hairGel]

Viking Kitten
12/11/2007, 11:35 PM
We're hoping the federal disaster relief funds the state is sure to get will include money for trauma counseling. Our family needs healing after what we have been through.

JohnnyMack
12/11/2007, 11:53 PM
We're hoping the federal disaster relief funds the state is sure to get will include money for trauma counseling. Our family needs healing after what we have been through.

My wife lost The Hills season finale. She is distraught. Do we have enough members for a group plan?

Ash
12/11/2007, 11:59 PM
Power came back on today. Personally, I'm very grateful. Unfortunately, our place is completely electric. No hot food, coffee, heat, contact with outside world, lights, etc. once the power went out. Watched the thermostat in the house keep dropping as the hours went on.

We set up with some camping lanterns, blankets and made it through a semi-uncomfortable 30 hours or so. Not bad at all. It could have been much worse. Just glad the 7-10 day prediction reported in the news wasn't the case for us.

I really feel for the elderly and those with small children, especially if power is out for a long time. If you've got a fireplace or gas oven/range, at least you've got something. If your place is completely electric dependent like ours is, you were screwed.

Viking Kitten
12/12/2007, 12:42 AM
My wife lost The Hills season finale. She is distraught. Do we have enough members for a group plan?

Damn this icy disaster. It's not just breaking power lines. It's breaking hearts.