PDA

View Full Version : Lofton is gone...

Soonermagik
12/11/2007, 10:56 AM
I have a very valid source that Lofton is leaving after this year. He was told by a pro scout he would be late first round, and at worst early second round. Securing well over $10 million.

Also, Nic Harris is seriously considered leaving since safties have made great money the last few years. Nic told my friend he thinks he can at least get a guaranteed $5 million, but he is still up in the air. If he could become the dominant safety next year he might move up higher in the draft i.e. more money.

Who do you think will replace these guys?

Watch Me Stride
12/11/2007, 10:58 AM
I think Mike Reed would replace Lofton, wouldn't he?

Texas Golfer
12/11/2007, 10:59 AM
I read a DMN article in which Loftin was quoted that, should he be predicted to go in the top 15 in the draft, he'd probably leave. If not, he'd probably stay.

If he's not even guaranteed of going in the first round, why would he take millions now instead of getting tens of millions next year?

Civicus_Sooner
12/11/2007, 11:00 AM
I don't think Stoops is sold on Reed just yet.

Watch Me Stride
12/11/2007, 11:03 AM
Who are all the players we have at Inside Linebacker?

Desert Sapper
12/11/2007, 11:06 AM
Lofton would be hard to replace, but I think Ryan Reynolds would be the most likely fit at MLB.

I think Curtis should be careful about listening to scouts. I hope Bob and BV can convince him to get his degree, win the Butkus, become a 2 time AA, possibly win a MNC, and jump his draft stock into the Top 10 range (top LB/Defensive Player taken).

Although, $10M sounds like a lot of money to me, and I doubt I would stay in college if I had a ring that big and shiny dangling in front of me. I hope he's a better man than I.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/11/2007, 11:10 AM
1. You gotta take the money, if it's really there.
2. These dudes stay and we will win the NC next year. We only lose 6 starters on both sides of the ball. Whoa.

fwsooner22
12/11/2007, 11:17 AM
I have a very valid source that Lofton is leaving after this year. He was told by a pro scout he would be late first round, and at worst early second round. Securing well over $10 million.

Also, Nic Harris is seriously considered leaving since safties have made great money the last few years. Nic told my friend he thinks he can at least get a guaranteed $5 million, but he is still up in the air. If he could become the dominant safety next year he might move up higher in the draft i.e. more money.

Who do you think will replace these guys?

Wow.......What NFL 2nd rounder makes $10 million...........Wild speculation.........If I were Lofton I would go.........Nic Harris guaranteed $5 mil? ........Ummmmm....not so much.....we'll see.......We are OU and if ya leave somebody WILL take your place.........its been that way for decades.........

SoonerBOI
12/11/2007, 11:17 AM
I just read this article. Who knows?

http://newsok.com/article/3179401

All signs point to Lofton returning to Sooners in '08

NORMAN — Curtis Lofton shook his head a bit with just about every question that concerned leaving Oklahoma early and entering the NFL draft.

He was neither angry nor disgusted.

He was amazed.

"It's just weird, you know,” said Lofton, who acknowledged Friday that he has filled out paperwork so he can be evaluated by NFL scouts but that he'll likely return unless he's projected to be drafted in the top 15. "Going into this year, no one would probably be thinking of asking me questions like that.”

Indeed, there were questions about the junior linebacker before the season, but they weren't anything like the ones being asked now about Lofton.

Now: Will he be back for his senior season? Will he leave the Sooners for NFL dollars?

Then: Will he be any good?

Not so long ago, the biggest unknown about Lofton was whether he could hold down the starting middle linebacker spot for the Sooners. It's a key position in the defensive scheme run by Brent Venables and Co. Plays are funneled to the linebackers, especially the middle linebacker, then it's up to them to make the play.

Lofton had played some the past couple seasons, but no one knew if he could handle it full time.

Even his buddies back home in Kingfisher had their doubts.

"So, uh, where you gonna play at next year?” they asked this time last year.

"What you talking about?” Lofton would ask.

"This Mike Reed guy coming in, he's supposed to be a juco all-American.”

Lofton would just chuckle.

"Well, I'm going to work the hardest I can,” he'd tell them, "and hopefully I'll find a spot somewhere.”

He chuckled again last week recounting that story.

And why not?

Lofton is now the all-American, the star with all the accolades, the one causing the Sooner Nation to clamor. Everyone is worried that if Lofton leaves, it will decimate the linebackers.

Considering the big-time plays and bigger-time performances that Lofton has made this season, his departure might do worse than hurt the linebackers. He is the most indispensable part of that unit, after all. More important than Auston English or DeMarcus Granger, Reggie Smith or Nic Harris.

Remove Lofton, and the defense just isn't as good. That's not a knock on the rest of the Sooners but rather a reflection on just how good Lofton has been.

All signs, by the way, point to Lofton being back. NFL draft guru Mel Kiper currently has three linebackers projected in the first round; Lofton is not among them. Even though Kiper has yet to include early entrants in his projections, he has Lofton fifth among underclassmen linebackers.

Chances are, Lofton will not be a top 15 pick.

And yet, it's not crazy to think Lofton belongs in the conversation about the NFL draft. Just look at how outstanding he's been for one of the best college defenses in the country.

Lofton still can't help being a little sheepish about all this NFL talk.

"Just being from Kingfisher, a little small town, and being able to actually think about going to the NFL is just kind of astonishing,” he said. "Kind of funny everybody asking me questions about this.”

And with that, he shook his head one last time.

Civicus_Sooner
12/11/2007, 11:23 AM
I'm betting he ends up the best Pro LB out of OU since Aubrey Beavers.

The Maestro
12/11/2007, 11:29 AM
List of successful OU football players leaving early for the NFL...

Roy Williams. Not many others.

colleyvillesooner
12/11/2007, 11:37 AM
Tommie Harris. 2nd place defensive ROY, Pro bowl his second and third years.

Civicus_Sooner
12/11/2007, 11:42 AM
List of successful OU football players leaving early for the NFL...

Roy Williams. Not many others.Demond Parker was on his way. He really was tearing it up for the Packers as a rookie back-up until he blew his knee.

The dude that left early because of family and went in the 4th round (Chiefs) just signed a fat contract.

AD's lookin pretty good.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/11/2007, 11:53 AM
Well lets do a comparison...

Last year Anthony Spencer was the last LB taken in the 1st round (26). He signed a 5 year 9 million dollar contract...Not sure how much guaranteed.... 6 million dollar signing bonus..

Paul Posluszny's contract (2nd round, pick 34) was a 4 year at 4.75 million with 2.55 guaranteed.

Jon Beason with the 25 pick had a 5 year contract with 6 million guaranteed.

I will tell you this...I don't doubt "a" scout told him something like that but you gotta think about how much weight does that scout hold? A scout told Dan Cody he was a guaranteed 1st rounder his senior season...See what I mean? What "a" pro scout says means nothing. I had 3 pro scouts tell me AP will be moved back to DB in the NFL. What does that mean? Not a lot really.

The Maestro
12/11/2007, 11:57 AM
Okay, other than AD, Tommie and Roy...arguably the three best players in the Stoops era...not many have enjoyed success leaving early.

I will keep editting this until it helps my argument for Curtis to stay!!! :)

Desert Sapper
12/11/2007, 11:58 AM
I'm betting he ends up the best Pro LB out of OU since Aubrey Beavers.

Clint Ingram is doing pretty well so far.

Sadly, injury and the like have decimated just about every linebacker we've sent to 'the league'. I hope Curtis has better luck than the majority of our backers, whenever he decides to make the leap.

OklahomaTuba
12/11/2007, 12:13 PM
No way on Nic Harris.

arcman46
12/11/2007, 12:17 PM
It may sound selfish on my part, because I would like to see most of these guys stay for their entire college career, but unless you are an absolutely special player like AD, or maybe Dorsey of LSUc, I think it is usually better not to go to the pros early. The pros are bigger, stronger, and the game is different. The last year can be helpful. On the con side, there is always the possibility of injury, or having a cr** season, but career ending injuries happen in the pro and the college game.

Curly Bill
12/11/2007, 12:21 PM
but career ending injuries happen in the pro and the college game.

...but in the pros you get payed for the possibility. If you can get the $$$$$ you might as well get them while you know you can. You get injured in a college game you might be SOL.

...and I say this as a big college football fan, and a very lukewarm NFL fan.

usmc-sooner
12/11/2007, 12:46 PM
well you'd think he'd be behind Laurinitus, Conner, and Dizon so I don't know how high of a draft pick that makes him.

Soonermagik
12/11/2007, 12:48 PM
Curtis won't publicly admit this, but he has been talked to by agents. They are suggesting that with a sign on bonus, and a salary he can make over $10 million. That is a large sum of money, and would be hard to turn down.

For those who suggests he waits what happens if he has a down year? Or worse, he gets injured????? I believe he is big 12 player of the year? I don't see how he could have a better season, and only 3 linebackers are ahead of him in the draft (or that is what they say)

I think Nic Harris should stay, but he may want to get paid. He comes from a very poor background, so he may jump at the chance if he thinks the second round is a possibility. His idol is Brodney Poole and he is doing okay in the NFL. Poole left early and was taken in the 2nd round.

usmc-sooner
12/11/2007, 12:54 PM
Curtis won't publicly admit this, but he has been talked to by agents. They are suggesting that with a sign on bonus, and a salary he can make over $10 million. That is a large sum of money, and would be hard to turn down.

For those who suggests he waits what happens if he has a down year? Or worse, he gets injured????? I believe he is big 12 player of the year? I don't see how he could have a better season, and only 3 linebackers are ahead of him in the draft (or that is what they say)

I think Nic Harris should stay, but he may want to get paid. He comes from a very poor background, so he may jump at the chance if he thinks the second round is a possibility. His idol is Brodney Poole and he is doing okay in the NFL. Poole left early and was taken in the 2nd round.

that's a lot of money to spend on a guy who's only experience is 1 year starting experience in college. He wasn't even a Butkis award finalist. Some scouts are questioning his speed and coverage skills, which are are going to be huge in the NFL. If he can get it I hope he does get it, I'm just not so sure it's going to play out like that. Those agents try to glum on to anyone. Remember it was these same agents that told XLK he was a lock for a 2nd round pick. I remember seeing him say that on T.V. and I was thinking what fool has that kid being talking to.

Octavian
12/11/2007, 01:15 PM
Nice thread title.

I have a reliable source who says the Microbiology Department has found a way to genetically re-engineer an Adrian Peterson clone.

I don't have a link, but trust me.

r5TPsooner
12/11/2007, 01:39 PM
Demond Parker was on his way. He really was tearing it up for the Packers as a rookie back-up until he blew his knee.

The dude that left early because of family and went in the 4th round (Chiefs) just signed a fat contract.

AD's lookin pretty good..

Wilkerson and he's a beast for Kc.

Ash
12/11/2007, 02:00 PM
LOL.

If I only had a penny for every innerweb rumor.

bprao5
12/11/2007, 02:20 PM
Bob Stoops made an interesting point in his last press conference in regards to "what if you get hurt if you stay for your final year". He asked the audience of reporters to name him one player within the last 6 years that had a career ending injury on the field. I think it is probably safe to go back further than that. It just doesn't happen, especially in the players final year.

Just a thought........

Landthief 1972
12/11/2007, 02:22 PM
I know this much...all of the family members that turned their backs on Curtis in Kingfisher when he was a kid will be crawling out of the woodwork if he signs for that kind of cash...and I hope he gives them a great big middle finger.

bprao5
12/11/2007, 02:25 PM
By the way, no one could give a name from the audience.
and on another thought........how many players who are underclassmen, have never been all-american, and are not even all conference do you see making the jump to the NFL and becoming Successful? Also very rare, i can't think of any from the Stoops Era. Just that thought alone should eliminate some of the OU players in consideration. They were just not dominant....except for LOFTON of course.

Curly Bill
12/11/2007, 03:00 PM
Bob Stoops made an interesting point in his last press conference in regards to "what if you get hurt if you stay for your final year". He asked the audience of reporters to name him one player within the last 6 years that had a career ending injury on the field. I think it is probably safe to go back further than that. It just doesn't happen, especially in the players final year.

Just a thought........

All fine and good to point that out...but what if you're the one it does happen to and it is a severe injury? Say goodbye to those millions of $$$$$$$$.

Maybe you or Bob will make that up to them?

Civicus_Sooner
12/11/2007, 03:03 PM
All fine and good to point that out...but what if you're the one it does happen to and it is a severe injury? Say goodbye to those millions of $$$$$$$$.

Maybe you or Bob will make that up to them?The can get insurance for their SR year.

Curly Bill
12/11/2007, 03:05 PM
The can get insurance for their SR year.

...or they could just go start making millions right away. I know what I'd do.

Civicus_Sooner
12/11/2007, 03:08 PM
...or they could just go start making millions right away. I know what I'd do.
Good thing, Clayton, Bradley, Brandon Jones, Rocky Calmus, Teddy Lehman, Q, Dusty Dvorcek, Derick Strait, Clint, et al aren't like you.

Curly Bill
12/11/2007, 03:11 PM
Good thing, Clayton, Bradley, Brandon Jones, Rocky Calmus, Teddy Lehman, Q, Dusty Dvorcek, Derick Strait, Clint, et al aren't like you.

If you say so. :D

Curly Bill
12/11/2007, 03:13 PM

So, let me ask: if you had the chance to earn millions you'd turn it down?

edit...of those you mention above I'm not sure how many of them were ready to go pro early. If they are ready they should go, if they're not they shouldn't.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/11/2007, 03:16 PM
well you'd think he'd be behind Laurinitus, Conner, and Dizon so I don't know how high of a draft pick that makes him.

I think Lofton is awesome but I'm yet to see a single mock draft that includes underclassmen that have him going even in the second round, let alone the first round. I agree as well that the LBs above are likely to go first.

I'm not saying that there is no way he declares but to say it is a done deal is flat out wrong.

Curly Bill
12/11/2007, 03:19 PM
I think Lofton is awesome but I'm yet to see a single mock draft that includes underclassmen that have him going even in the second round, let alone the first round. I agree as well that the LBs above are likely to go first.

I'm not saying that there is no way he declares but to say it is a done deal is flat out wrong.

I'm with you. I see Lofton coming back.

...as for MK say goodbye...and once Reggie heals and if he has good Spring workouts say goodbye to him as well. Load and Duke I would't even hazard to guess on.

Civicus_Sooner
12/11/2007, 03:23 PM
So, let me ask: if you had the chance to earn millions you'd turn it down?

edit...of those you mention above I'm not sure how many of them were ready to go pro early. If they are ready they should go, if they're not they shouldn't.
I would honor my commitment to Oklahoma. There have been a very few players that are just to special to hold this standard to. We don't really have any of those types this year, with the arguable exception, Malcom Kelly.

All of the gentlemen I pointed out in the previous post COULD have left early, most of them thought about it at some point.

As a matter of fact, I would put most of them in similar positions as Lofton as JR's, boarderline 1st & 2nd &3rd rounders after their Jr. seasons.

MojoRisen
12/11/2007, 03:25 PM
I think there is a lot of merrit to comming back your Sr. Year. If you are going to get 4-5 million gaurantee though - you have to go- you could have a great job and in the top 1 % of America and it would take you 25 years to even come close to earning that kind of bread and likely will not in 40 years.

Have to take the money and not risk Injury- as much as I want those guys to stay and dominate - if that kind of money is at stake - they would be foolish not too take it.

Curly Bill
12/11/2007, 03:29 PM
I would honor my commitment to Oklahoma. There have been a very few players that are just to special to hold this standard to. We don't really have any of those types this year, with the arguable exception, Malcom Kelly.

All of the gentlemen I pointed out in the previous post COULD have left early, most of them thought about it at some point.

As a matter of fact, I would put most of them in similar positions as Lofton as JR's, boarderline 1st & 2nd &3rd rounders after their Jr. seasons.

If you're borderline 2nd/3rd round you should come back. My thoughts are directed primarily at those that are going to be 1st round picks. If you're going to be a first round pick what do you gain by coming back?

edit...and yeah I know they might improve their draft slot a spot or two. I think the risk/reward on a deal like that is too high to take the chance.

Curly Bill
12/11/2007, 03:31 PM
If you are going to get 4-5 million gaurantee though - you have to go

That's it in a nutshell.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/11/2007, 03:34 PM
I think there is a lot of merrit to comming back your Sr. Year. If you are going to get 4-5 million gaurantee though - you have to go- you could have a great job and in the top 1 % of America and it would take you 25 years to even come close to earning that kind of bread and likely will not in 40 years.

Have to take the money and not risk Injury- as much as I want those guys to stay and dominate - if that kind of money is at stake - they would be foolish not too take it.

As someone else mentioned you can actually take out an insurance policy if you are considered virtually a guaranteed high draft pick that would prevent coming back a senior year from "risking everything".

Declaring for the draft is a roll of the dice in itself. First scouts and agents advise that X player is a sure mid first rounder...the player declares...the draft comes and player X is a late second rounder. Remember NFL contracts are not guaranteed either. Basically comes down to signing bonus.

Soonermagik
12/11/2007, 03:37 PM
Bob Stoops told Tommie Harris not to leave early and I think it worked out for him. I'm not saying Lofton is anything close to Harris, but it can work out.

I have been on this board for a long time, and I don't go around making outlandish claims. I have no reason to make this up, if you don't want to believe me then don't. It is not a done deal, but he is seriously considering leaving.

Curly Bill
12/11/2007, 03:39 PM
As someone else mentioned you can actually take out an insurance policy if you are considered virtually a guaranteed high draft pick

If you're a guaranteed high draft pick what do you have to gain by coming back in the first place? Now, if they want to say they are doing it to play for a national championship, out of school loyalty, well that's great, but how realistic is that these days?

Echoes
12/11/2007, 03:44 PM

Exactly. If your going to go in the first or early-mid second, I think you have to go. I want Lofton and Harris back just as bad as anyone.. But you have to think about them too. Like Mojo said, it's a ton of money. Most of us on here won't make 10 million in our lifetime. If they can do it in one move and provide for their families for the rest of their life, then they need to do it.

On the insurance comment, that is not particularly true. First of all, that insurance is expensive as hell. Second of all, it only covers certain injuries, etc. What happens if he gets into a car crash? It doesn't cover that. Third, its only for like 2-3 million. I have never seen a player get insured for 10-15 million. Not to mention the risk of coming back and hurting your draft stock, and then losing 10-20 million (Matt Lienart?)

I love Lofton and loved watching him play even in high school, but if your going to get 10 million... get the hell out of here and support your mom and dad and your family for the rest of your life. Thanks for being such a great Sooner.

MojoRisen
12/11/2007, 03:44 PM
I would be interested in what a Loyds of London insurance policy would cost and how much it would actually pay out - if that were the case then going from a 2nd rd to a first round and maybe 6-10 Million in addtional bonus and salary I would stick around.

Again if he were to get a 4-5 million dollar deal in sign on and first year salary/ - he could be top student at OU and not make that bread in 25 years-

Echoes
12/11/2007, 03:45 PM
I beleive you Magik. I seriously doubt any real poster's on this board are going to get on here and post a rumor unless they sincerely beleive there is plenty of truth behind it.

Thank you for sharing it.

Echoes
12/11/2007, 03:47 PM
Mojo, I don't have an exact figure and I think the figures are actually very situational, they can even depend on how many snaps you take and what position you play. However, I remember hearing that Lienart's insurance was some outrageous figure, and the only way he could afford to come back his senior season was because his family is completely loaded and could pay for it easily.. Just can't remember where I heard it. It was on TV I beleive. ESPN, probably.

Desert Sapper
12/11/2007, 03:49 PM
If you're a guaranteed high draft pick what do you have to gain by coming back in the first place? Now, if they want to say they are doing it to play for a national championship, out of school loyalty, well that's great, but how realistic is that these days?

Pretty ****ing realistic, I'd say. Leinfart did it. Everybody said he was a guaranteed #1 and he did it anyway. None of the guys we are talking about are a guaranteed #1. I can't lie and say I wouldn't take the damn money, because I would. Every last cent the NFL would give me.

But I'm not these guys, and even Tommie Harris regrets leaving early. I think it is about more than most of us can think about, because very few of us on this board have competed for a championship at any level, never mind something at this level. This is truly the last opportunity for most of them to compete for a championship of any kind. Realistically, how many will compete for a championship (Conference or Super Bowl) in the NFL? This is what champions want, it's what they dream of, and for the most part, it's why many that leave early and could have been a part of something that special regret leaving later.

Soonermagik
12/11/2007, 03:49 PM
I beleive you Magik. I seriously doubt any real poster's on this board are going to get on here and post a rumor unless they sincerely beleive there is plenty of truth behind it.

Thank you for sharing it.

Thanks!!! :)

I wouldn't just make this up!!! He has himself projected as the 4th overall linebacker, but some agents tend to lie to kids. I want him to do what is best for him. I will miss him as a player, but if he can get paid some big money then he should go for it IMHO.

Desert Sapper
12/11/2007, 04:01 PM
Thanks!!! :)

I wouldn't just make this up!!! He has himself projected as the 4th overall linebacker, but some agents tend to lie to kids. I want him to do what is best for him. I will miss him as a player, but if he can get paid some big money then he should go for it IMHO.

I guess it depends on what you consider big money. For me, big money is about $1-200K. Anything beyond that is pretty awesome. He's guaranteed at least $285K/year increasing annually, until he is making more than $500K/year. So from that perspective, I'm not sure it matters at all when you leave or even where you get drafted. We all talk about 'losing' millions, but the reality is that, barring a career injury, good players are going to make millions, regardless. I'd consider that a pretty successful endeavor no matter which decision he makes. And I wish him well in either decision.

Echoes
12/11/2007, 04:01 PM
I understand what your saying Desert.. and it's all very... heroic I guess you could say.. whatever adjective you want to use there.

I just know this: A lot of these kids do not have money. I feel for them. I have not grown up just extremely loaded, and now I am in the process of applying to med school so that one day I will be able to fully provide for my family. I do not want my kids to have to grow up poor. These kids have to feel the same way. I will have to work through many years of med school with no money at all, followed by years of paying back bills, and still not make near the money these kids will make in one contract.

My point? I am a die hard Sooners fan, and a die hard competitor. Just like everyone else on here. If I had given three years of my life to the Sooners, had won Big 12 player of the year honors, and had a chance to make a fat (10 million) dollar payday, I would do it. I don't think it's being disloyal. I would take the cash and support my family who has supported me for 21 years. No questions asked.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/11/2007, 04:02 PM
everyone is looking at money, money, money. there is a heck of a lot more to life than that.

here are some interesting factoids that most football players miss when they are kids.

its better to redshirt than play as a true freshman. one year in the weight room does wonders from a durability standpoint than getting hammered every week by big ole boys 4 years older than you. under stoops, if you play as a true freshman you are going to be nagged by injuries for the rest of your career and never get the kind of offseason work in to get bigger/faster/stronger than when you came in.

its better to go into the NFL as a 4-5th year senior than as a 3rd year junior. once again, those extra years of development mean the world, especially when you think of the difference between 21 and 23 compared with playing against bigger ole boys 27 and above. the key point is that you are able to build up durability and strength so that, outside of a freak injury, you are not disabled after 5 years in the league.

this being said, there are types of players that i think should go early into the draft - physical freaks (tommie harris, peterson) and players playing at an insane level (roy williams).

i personally don't see any eligible underclassmen on this year's team that fit this description.

as an aside, my thoughts on basketball and baseball are polar opposite - go in as young as you can and milk the crap out of it.

Civicus_Sooner
12/11/2007, 04:06 PM
Besides it isn't like they wont make millions after their Senior year. Jeez Bill, you act like if they come back and play their Sr. year, they'll never get paid.

OklahomaTuba
12/11/2007, 04:08 PM
An injury or a bad year could easily kill that pay day Civ.

If someone has a chance to secure their financial future, then there is no question.

Civicus_Sooner
12/11/2007, 04:13 PM
An injury or a bad year could easily kill that pay day Civ.

If someone has a chance to secure their financial future, then there is no question.
As was stated above and by Bob Stoops, "Not one single player on his watch that this has happened to." So, not very likely.

C&CDean
12/11/2007, 04:16 PM
The thread title is really stupid. Unless you have a link, I'd prefer something like "I know a guy who knows a guy who dates a guy who says that Curtis is gone."

Civicus_Sooner
12/11/2007, 04:20 PM
everyone is looking at money, money, money. there is a heck of a lot more to life than that.

here are some interesting factoids that most football players miss when they are kids.

its better to redshirt than play as a true freshman. one year in the weight room does wonders from a durability standpoint than getting hammered every week by big ole boys 4 years older than you. under stoops, if you play as a true freshman you are going to be nagged by injuries for the rest of your career and never get the kind of offseason work in to get bigger/faster/stronger than when you came in.

its better to go into the NFL as a 4-5th year senior than as a 3rd year junior. once again, those extra years of development mean the world, especially when you think of the difference between 21 and 23 compared with playing against bigger ole boys 27 and above. the key point is that you are able to build up durability and strength so that, outside of a freak injury, you are not disabled after 5 years in the league.

this being said, there are types of players that i think should go early into the draft - physical freaks (tommie harris, peterson) and players playing at an insane level (roy williams).

i personally don't see any eligible underclassmen on this year's team that fit this description.

as an aside, my thoughts on basketball and baseball are polar opposite - go in as young as you can and milk the crap out of it.I agree with 100% of this.

Desert Sapper
12/11/2007, 04:24 PM
I understand what your saying Desert.. and it's all very... heroic I guess you could say.. whatever adjective you want to use there.

I just know this: A lot of these kids do not have money. I feel for them. I have not grown up just extremely loaded, and now I am in the process of applying to med school so that one day I will be able to fully provide for my family. I do not want my kids to have to grow up poor. These kids have to feel the same way. I will have to work through many years of med school with no money at all, followed by years of paying back bills, and still not make near the money these kids will make in one contract.

My point? I am a die hard Sooners fan, and a die hard competitor. Just like everyone else on here. If I had given three years of my life to the Sooners, had won Big 12 player of the year honors, and had a chance to make a fat (10 million) dollar payday, I would do it. I don't think it's being disloyal. I would take the cash and support my family who has supported me for 21 years. No questions asked.

My point wasn't so much about 'heroism' -- I've seen that, and there isn't a football game in the world that could replicate it.

My point is that they are cheating themselves out of an opportunity by leaving early. Whether it is the opportunity to gain strength, speed, and quickness in the weight room. Whether it is the opportunity to gain game knowledge that will help lessen the learning curve at the next level. Whether it is the opportunity to compete for a championship one more time in their lives. Regardless of what opportunity it is, I just don't think the NFL is as forgiving, and underclassmen learn this the hard way every year. Many of them end up regretting it. I don't want any more of our players to regret their decision of leaving early.

Think of it this way...what if you had the decision to cut a year out of medical school (let's forget internships and residencies, etc.). You would make back your loans faster. You would be able to make money for your family faster. You wouldn't have to struggle as much in the beginning. But let's say the year you missed would have taught you something that would save somebody's life some day and you didn't have that knowledge in your kit bag. And your actions cause more harm than they should. Was it worth it?

That may be a little extreme, so let's consider this.;)

You have the decision to take a big money job working for a fast rising company, because you have a really unique skill (something this company specializes in). But you have to miss your last year of college. You don't get a degree, but you make serious bling, doing something you love. It sounds great. Sure, you didn't get to go down to the Bahamas with your friends for Spring Break, but you got serious money. You have a good job, you are making serious money, doing what you love. Then your company goes under. You try to get a job doing the same thing, doing something else, with some other company, but you couldn't. You don't have a degree, they say. You spent a ton of your money irresponsibly, and have next to nothing left. Now where are you?

Join the Army, I say. :D

Echoes
12/11/2007, 05:36 PM
I see what your saying Desert, I think we are on the same chapter, just not the same page :)

For the reply that it's about money money money.. I don't really think so. I would hope people who are considering leaving early for the NFL are not thinking about the money. That is not what I meant, and if I was in the position, its not what I would be thinking about.

It's not like a lot of these kids want the money to go out and buy 4 new hummers and blow all their cash at the strip club. The money provides much more then a nice suit or car, for many people. For me, as well as many players I'm sure, would use the cash to secure the future of them, their parents who spent their whole life raising them, their wife and children, as well as their grandchildren. It could put your children, and children's children, etc. through college and help guarentee them a stable job.

I think some of you guys have the idea that these guys want to head to the NFL so they can get a fat paycheck and head to Vegas to gamble it all away. I don't think so. I would hope our players are a little more level headed then that. Yes, it is money.. But the money brings security. I would venture to say the player's who leave early from Oklahoma head to the NFL to provide for their families first, and get a nice car second. At least I hope.

If they are ready for it or not, is a different story entirely.

soonerstuckinhuskerland
12/11/2007, 05:39 PM
Bob Stoops told Tommie Harris not to leave early and I think it worked out for him. I'm not saying Lofton is anything close to Harris, but it can work out.

I have been on this board for a long time, and I don't go around making outlandish claims. I have no reason to make this up, if you don't want to believe me then don't. It is not a done deal, but he is seriously considering leaving.

Stoops told Tommie to go pro. Said he had accomplished all that he could in the college game. It was Wilkerson that he told to stay.

Civicus_Sooner
12/11/2007, 05:56 PM
Stoops told Tommie to go pro. Said he had accomplished all that he could in the college game. It was Wilkerson that he told to stay.
Yep, thank goodness that it worked out for Jimmy.

Curly Bill
12/11/2007, 06:50 PM
Pretty ****ing realistic, I'd say. Leinfart did it.

So if it's pretty ***ing realistic there should be a long list of players that turned down millions to return to college besides Leinart...right? Would you provide us with that long list of college players that turned down millions to return to college for another year?

...and I don't mean guys that were destined to be 2nd, 3rd, and middle rounders, I mean the bona fide 1st round types that turned down those millions to return to school.

Curly Bill
12/11/2007, 07:03 PM
Besides it isn't like they wont make millions after their Senior year. Jeez Bill, you act like if they come back and play their Sr. year, they'll never get paid.

They might get paid...and they might get hurt and never get paid what they could have. I'm just saying it makes sense to me if you have the chance to go make millions right now, then you are better off doing it.

Watch Me Stride
12/11/2007, 07:06 PM
They might get paid...and they might get hurt and never get paid what they could have. I'm just saying it makes sense to me if you have the chance to go make millions right now, then you are better off doing it.

In the press conference Bob kept talking about how many guy's have had season ending injuries, he said none and he had some pretty good points of why they should come back.

Curly Bill
12/11/2007, 07:08 PM
In the press conference Bob kept talking about how many guy's have had season ending injuries, he said none and he had some pretty good points of why they should come back.

Like I said in another post: I know the odds are against it...but when it does eventually happen are you or Bob going to make up the lost money to that player?

edit...but I do agree: most should come back.

Watch Me Stride
12/11/2007, 07:11 PM
Like I said in another post: I know the odds are against it...but when it does eventually happen are you or Bob going to make up the lost money to that player?

Most people spend around 5 years in the NFL. Contracts around the late first round are most likely around 2 million. Kid's would spend that pretty fast. If they stayed until there senior year, they would have their degree to fall back on and have more money.

They should go if there early first round and have enough money to be set in life for a while.

MojoRisen
12/11/2007, 07:26 PM
It would take them a good 10 years likely 20 years with a degree in communications or even business to earn that kind of bread. I think they can afford to finish up a year at OU for less than 12 K or what ever it is these days.

Fall back on degree vs setting yourself back 20 years - doesn't really make sense to me- it is a big time gamble. I take the money and go back to school if I am a football player with a 2.5 or even 3.0 GPA in communications.

tulsaoilerfan
12/11/2007, 07:43 PM

Just a thought........
Willis McGahee had a horrible knee injury in his last college game and has done pretty well in the pros, hasn't he?

tulsaoilerfan
12/11/2007, 07:47 PM

as an aside, my thoughts on basketball and baseball are polar opposite - go in as young as you can and milk the crap out of it.
Good points as always, and nice to see you posting

MojoRisen
12/11/2007, 07:57 PM
I think a Junior and even a Red shirt Junior are in their prime - I don't think I was even close to moving as good at 27-28 as I was when I was 21 - not even close - it is just that much harder to stay fit.

On money not being everything- it isn't at all- but it can go a long way in helping you to be happy - most of us can't say that we wil be able to see 2 million dollars in a lump sum and still have a career in sales after 5 years in the league./

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/11/2007, 08:45 PM

its called insurance. the policies these kids can take can insure up to a 100 million in lost wages (that is the policy tim duncan took out umpteen years ago) if they are injured and it causes them to lose draft position. the policy can be taken out for up to as much as you are projected to be the next year. for example, the kid from miami that got hurt took it out before the fiesta bowl and got a 4 million dollar settlement as he took it out for top 10 money and was drafted 29th.

its also subsidized by the NCAA and it taken out for pennies on the dollar compared for what you or i could take out. as a matter of a fact, this insurance makes it worth the risk to come back to college unless you are in dire straits financially.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/11/2007, 08:53 PM
I think a Junior and even a Red shirt Junior are in their prime - I don't think I was even close to moving as good at 27-28 as I was when I was 21 - not even close - it is just that much harder to stay fit.

On money not being everything- it isn't at all- but it can go a long way in helping you to be happy - most of us can't say that we wil be able to see 2 million dollars in a lump sum and still have a career in sales after 5 years in the league./

players in the NFL make no where near what players in other sports make. you also have a much much shorter period of viability in the league, because whether you like it or not, you are going to get hurt. what you have to make is a sound judgement about whether it is worth the risk reward - and there is incredible risk as all those guys who dropped multiple rounds because of something stupid can attest.

lets take brodney pool as an example. he left early because it was a weak safety draft and he thought he could sneak into the 1st round. the comments after he was drafted were "he was 1st round material available in the 2nd round". that is where brodney wanted to be drafted so he got his wish.

Big Red Ron
12/11/2007, 08:56 PM
its called insurance. the policies these kids can take can insure up to a 100 million in lost wages (that is the policy tim duncan took out umpteen years ago) if they are injured and it causes them to lose draft position. the policy can be taken out for up to as much as you are projected to be the next year. for example, the kid from miami that got hurt took it out before the fiesta bowl and got a 4 million dollar settlement as he took it out for top 10 money and was drafted 29th.

its also subsidized by the NCAA and it taken out for pennies on the dollar compared for what you or i could take out. as a matter of a fact, this insurance makes it worth the risk to come back to college unless you are in dire straits financially.And it's great $$$ for the insurance company. I mean really the odds are against a career ending injury.

Crap, as far as I'm concerned just about every Jr. at OU should probably have some type of policy. Hmmm...:D

Curly Bill
12/11/2007, 08:57 PM

its also subsidized by the NCAA and it taken out for pennies on the dollar compared for what you or i could take out. as a matter of a fact, this insurance makes it worth the risk to come back to college unless you are in dire straits financially.

I'm familiar with it. I still maintain that if I was a player and am assured of a high draft slot I take that right now, and I don't wait another year to see what might happen, insurance or not.

Now if a kid wants to come back to try for a championship, out of school loyalty, or whatever, I think that's great. I hope they all do come back, MK included. I just don't think it's realistic to expect all these guys to return for another year when many of them have as their dream to play the game professionally and make lots of $$$$$

Lets face it: as Sooner fans our football dream may be for the Sooners to win the national championship. I dare say that for some of these kids winning the national championship is a dream come true, but their big dream is to cash in the God-given ability they have to play the game and get rich doing it.