PDA

View Full Version : Rivals projected NFL draft

jccouger
12/11/2007, 12:49 AM
2 sooners in the top 20

Mock Draft (http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=749667)

KC//CRIMSON
12/11/2007, 12:53 AM
The Pats with McFadden in the backfield would be just sick.

I don't think Kelly and Smith are ready for the NFL just yet.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/11/2007, 12:56 AM
If we only lose 2 underclassmen, we should be in excellent shape for next yr.!

critical_phil
12/11/2007, 01:07 AM
I don't think Kelly and Smith are ready for the NFL just yet.

i agree about smith - but look at that weakass draft.

Crucifax Autumn
12/11/2007, 02:37 AM
True, but wouldn't a "weakass draft" mean the contracts for these players would amount to less money?

I think it's in their best interest to stay and make lotsd of headlines next year. Just because AD made a ton based on 3 years of major hype and media speculation doesn't mean these guys can leave early and hope for the same. If they think they have the stock of AD or Superman then they probably oughtta go...If not, they will play like monsters next year and earn some damn real money!

Widescreen
12/11/2007, 06:49 AM
MK took a lot of plays off this year. It looks like he's been looking forward to this draft for awhile now and if he's the 1st receiver taken, that's pretty darn good.

yermom
12/11/2007, 07:09 AM
the Pats with the 2nd pick and their forfeited pick?

that's just sick

Run DMC AND Maroney? that would just be insane

VMG
12/11/2007, 07:16 AM
Malcolm is still a bit raw -- a huge talent, but occasionally unfocused and undisciplined in ways that lower his draft numbers a bit. He would benefit from another year of learning and refining his game at the collegiate level.

hgarmorer
12/11/2007, 08:26 AM
is it taking plays off or just that teams payed more attention to him after starting the year off so strong. I didn't get a majority of the games being in Korea and all. Just wondering

Sooner in Tampa
12/11/2007, 08:31 AM
The Pats with McFadden in the backfield would be just sick.
:mad: That should be illegal!!!

VMG
12/11/2007, 10:52 AM
is it taking plays off or just that teams payed more attention to him after starting the year off so strong. I didn't get a majority of the games being in Korea and all. Just wondering

He was/is killing guys in man and single back zone schemes (where he was isolated against one guy). Malcolm can get better against the more complex zones that he saw after the earlier games, and that he will face for as long as he's able to play football for the rest of his career, college or pro. We're talking about the nuance stuff that helps a receiver get open or get separation against anything the defense is playing. Some of it is more physical, and some of it is more visual and intuitive -- mental stuff. Malcolm reminds me of Braylon Edwards at Michigan a couple years ago -- big, strong, fast and in need of another year in college to learn how to better exploit his physical gifts.

Watch Me Stride
12/11/2007, 11:07 AM
Reggie to the Vikings with Adrian would be awesome.

Civicus_Sooner
12/11/2007, 11:08 AM
WOW, John David Bootay dropped like a rock. Mid-second round? Sheesh.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/11/2007, 11:24 AM
True, but wouldn't a "weakass draft" mean the contracts for these players would amount to less money?

I think it's in their best interest to stay and make lotsd of headlines next year. Just because AD made a ton based on 3 years of major hype and media speculation doesn't mean these guys can leave early and hope for the same. If they think they have the stock of AD or Superman then they probably oughtta go...If not, they will play like monsters next year and earn some damn real money!

It being a weak draft will not change the contracts. A top 15 pick will receive a typical top contract regardless of the overall talent in the draft. AD made his money by running a 4.38 40(scout from Blesto clocked him at 4.35) and getting a good medical report...And catching every pass thrown in a receiving drill.

About every scout I ve talked with says MK has done nothing to hurt himself this year. Lets say he s a top 15 pick this year. If he comes back, he may improve to a 12 or 13 or get injured and slide down. We re not talking about improving from 1 round to the next, we re talking a spot or 2 higher..

Reggie Smith and Nic Harris are both getting lots of green spek from several teams..Interesting to see what decision they make.

The Maestro
12/11/2007, 11:31 AM
Run DMC AND Maroney? that would just be insane

You mean just Run DMC. Maroney has done jack and squat this year...he won't see the field.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/11/2007, 11:33 AM
And you concerned with MK taking plays off and it affecting him in the draft.. Randy Moss didnt start taking plays off in the NFL. His draft status was changed by his legal problems but nobody ever mentioned the taking plays off. A lot of college wideouts do it and its not as big a deal as some might think.

colleyvillesooner
12/11/2007, 11:36 AM
Pats won't take McFadden cause they won't want to guarantee him around the $28M that pick will probably command. They can get a serviceable back for WAY cheaper on down the line...

BIG_IKE
12/11/2007, 11:47 AM
IM not seeing 30 UNDERCLASSMEN entering the draft and being drafted in the 1st two rounds...not gonna happen.

Civicus_Sooner
12/11/2007, 11:48 AM
It being a weak draft will not change the contracts. A top 15 pick will receive a typical top contract regardless of the overall talent in the draft. AD made his money by running a 4.38 40(scout from Blesto clocked him at 4.35) and getting a good medical report...And catching every pass thrown in a receiving drill.

About every scout I ve talked with says MK has done nothing to hurt himself this year. Lets say he s a top 15 pick this year. If he comes back, he may improve to a 12 or 13 or get injured and slide down. We re not talking about improving from 1 round to the next, we re talking a spot or 2 higher..

Reggie Smith and Nic Harris are both getting lots of green spek from several teams..Interesting to see what decision they make.
I agree on all points but look how much money AD missed out on by not going until #8. Reggie Bush went #2 and Cedric Benson was like #3. The difference in #2 $$$ and #8 $$$ is huge. I would assume it's the same for #15 $$$ to #8 $$$.

TexasLidig8r
12/11/2007, 11:50 AM
Even knowing that things will change quite a bit between now and next April when the draft is held... this has GOT to be the most underwhelming draft in years. Who are the sure fire can't miss prospects?... McFadden? and then..... ??

Despite the fact that it appears to be an incredibly weak draft, it won't affect salaries since those are slotted based on prior years and with the "cap" imposed by the NFL.

Curly Bill
12/11/2007, 11:55 AM
Why do some people assume that by coming back MK, Reggie, whoever, is going to improve their draft stock? Yeah they might in fact do that, and then again they might blow out a knee and kill their draft stock. If you can be a first round draft pick you better go get it while you know for sure you can. Those that should come back are those that are not going to be 1st rounders, and who could realistically improve their draft position for next year.

I think some of this: they should all come back, they can improve their draft position, etc, etc...is mere selfishness on our part wanting these guys to come back and be Sooners again next year. Hey, I'd love that too, but in some instances that's not in the best interest of the player involved.

SoonerNorth
12/11/2007, 01:34 PM
What would have been really sick is if AD had stayed for his senior year and the Pats would have gotten him with the second pick. Now that would be sick.

SOONER STEAKER
12/11/2007, 02:05 PM
I hate to say it but I think were gonna lose some guys to the NFL. Kelly, Smith, Loadholt and Robinson. If those guys can make millions, they'll leave. It's hard to tell a kid he'll make millions, even though it may be millions as a 2nd/3rd rounder. Money is money, and if they can get their hands on it sooner than later, there gone. Loadholt and Robinson won't be 1st rounders, but they can make money quick and won't have to think about the worst case scenario which would be to get hurt as seniors and not being able to play in the NFL due to injury.

Curly Bill
12/11/2007, 03:03 PM
I hate to say it but I think were gonna lose some guys to the NFL. Kelly, Smith, Loadholt and Robinson. If those guys can make millions, they'll leave. It's hard to tell a kid he'll make millions, even though it may be millions as a 2nd/3rd rounder. Money is money, and if they can get their hands on it sooner than later, there gone. Loadholt and Robinson won't be 1st rounders, but they can make money quick and won't have to think about the worst case scenario which would be to get hurt as seniors and not being able to play in the NFL due to injury.

Yes, you are correct.

Desert Sapper
12/11/2007, 03:20 PM
Why do some people assume that by coming back MK, Reggie, whoever, is going to improve their draft stock? Yeah they might in fact do that, and then again they might blow out a knee and kill their draft stock. If you can be a first round draft pick you better go get it while you know for sure you can. Those that should come back are those that are not going to be 1st rounders, and who could realistically improve their draft position for next year.

I think some of this: they should all come back, they can improve their draft position, etc, etc...is mere selfishness on our part wanting these guys to come back and be Sooners again next year. Hey, I'd love that too, but in some instances that's not in the best interest of the player involved.

It could also be that some of us have watched players leave that we thought would go in the first round, didn't, and had mediocre careers leading up to them getting where they would have been had they stuck around for another year of starting experience (rather than 3-5 years of riding pine for XX NFL franchise). It's even been said by people with volumes more football knowledge than anybody on this board that some of our 1st rounders in the past would have benefitted from another year in college.

Personally, I would love to see all of our Juniors stick around for another year for all of the following reasons:

1. A shot at #8 (purely selfish, I guess, even though I won't get a ring)

2. More starting experience

3. Another summer with one of the best conditioning programs in the country to get better, faster, and stronger

4. An opportunity to establish themselves with scouts and teams

5. An opportunity for more national coverage and awards, generating some lasting hype for their draft status

6. The prospect of more money, because of a higher draft status, due to the above items

7. Getting a college degree from a major university, which would help if the NFL career doesn't pan out

8. One more year to enjoy the college experience, living as a king on a campus that reveres them in a state that celebrates them

Some situations merit the jump as an underclassman. Most don't.

INGRAM1
12/11/2007, 06:28 PM
It could also be that some of us have watched players leave that we thought would go in the first round, didn't, and had mediocre careers leading up to them getting where they would have been had they stuck around for another year of starting experience (rather than 3-5 years of riding pine for XX NFL franchise). It's even been said by people with volumes more football knowledge than anybody on this board that some of our 1st rounders in the past would have benefitted from another year in college.

Personally, I would love to see all of our Juniors stick around for another year for all of the following reasons:

1. A shot at #8 (purely selfish, I guess, even though I won't get a ring)

2. More starting experience

3. Another summer with one of the best conditioning programs in the country to get better, faster, and stronger

4. An opportunity to establish themselves with scouts and teams

5. An opportunity for more national coverage and awards, generating some lasting hype for their draft status

6. The prospect of more money, because of a higher draft status, due to the above items

7. Getting a college degree from a major university, which would help if the NFL career doesn't pan out

8. One more year to enjoy the college experience, living as a king on a campus that reveres them in a state that celebrates them

Some situations merit the jump as an underclassman. Most don't.

I agree 100 % with you. Why not stay and help the program who catapaults you to some kind of stardom? Money is not everything. I am in the Army so I do not make that good of money. Go Sooners.

Curly Bill
12/11/2007, 06:43 PM
I agree 100 % with you. Why not stay and help the program who catapaults you to some kind of stardom? Money is not everything. I am in the Army so I do not make that good of money. Go Sooners.

This would be great...but tell that to 18-22 year olds that stand to make millions. Tell MK: Malcolm, we know you could go to the NFL right now and make millions of dollars...but we want you to stay and help us out, whata ya say?

...and by the way: to some of these kids the opportunity to make millions of dollars means everything to them, the chance for a better life then where they came from, the chance to help out family, buy their folks a nice new house. But yeah, lets tell them to turn down the money so they can stay and help out the team. :rolleyes:

TXBOOMER
12/11/2007, 06:50 PM
If you are lagit projected 1st round you go..end of MFING story. These guys have the stats the pros are looking for...it's all about 40 time, vertical, body measurements, agility etc. These two will go in the first round and make the money. When people say you should stay, it is not so you will go up in the first round if you are already projected to go there, it is so you will go from 3rd or 4th round into first round. Then it makes sense money wise. Now Curtis Lofton can probably make some money by staying an extra year (BUTKUS) but MK and RS need to go get paid and add to the list of OU studs in the league and keep the recruits rollin in.

tulsaoilerfan
12/11/2007, 07:55 PM
Malcolm is still a bit raw -- a huge talent, but occasionally unfocused and undisciplined in ways that lower his draft numbers a bit. He would benefit from another year of learning and refining his game at the collegiate level.
LOL, in the NFL potential means more than production most of the time.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/11/2007, 08:20 PM
I agree on all points but look how much money AD missed out on by not going until #8. Reggie Bush went #2 and Cedric Benson was like #3. The difference in #2 $$$ and #8 $$$ is huge. I would assume it's the same for #15 $$$ to #8 $$$.
I think the thing is with AD is him he was guaranteed pretty much to be the first runningback off the board. If he stayed, there was a good chance that McFadden would be battling him for that top spot.

Little Al
12/11/2007, 08:26 PM
Expect the worst and hope for the best.
Is 1st team AA OG Duke Robinson considering?