PDA

View Full Version : Chances of Coach Sumlin leaving?

OUsooner1
12/10/2007, 05:44 PM
PULLMAN, Wash. -- Former Washington State coach Mike Price has taken himself out of consideration to return to Pullman.

The Cougars are looking for a replacement for Bill Doba, who stepped down last month.

Price told the El Paso Times newspaper that he plans to stay and work to make his Texas-El Paso team better. He says he is flattered that some Cougars fans and former players want him to return to WSU, where he coached teams to five bowls, including two Rose Bowls.

The Spokesman-Review reported Washington State officials have interviewed at least three candidates: Eastern Washington coach Paul Wulff, Oklahoma co-offensive coordinator Kevin Sumlin and former Idaho coach and Washington State assistant John L. Smith.

Washington State athletic director Jim Sterk said he hopes to hire a new coach by Christmas.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

So what are the chances of Kevin Sumlin moving on and how much is this going to affect us, if any?

Rhino
12/10/2007, 05:49 PM
Considering he's interviewed for two coaching jobs already, chances are very good.

I don't see it as being a big deal if he leaves. Better him than Wilson.

MextheBulldog
12/10/2007, 06:19 PM
33%

Harry Beanbag
12/10/2007, 06:22 PM
With all the rumors flying around, Bob may be coaching the team by himself in the Fiesta Bowl.

yermom
12/10/2007, 06:23 PM
i didn't realize he was a co-coordinator

do we do that to keep assistants longer?

Harry Beanbag
12/10/2007, 06:27 PM
i didn't realize he was a co-coordinator

do we do that to keep assistants longer?

I don't know about keeping them longer, but it probably gets them a raise.

SOONERKAT
12/10/2007, 06:35 PM
The Houston Chronicle is reporting that he has already had a second interview for the open position there, FWIW.

The Maestro
12/10/2007, 06:36 PM
With all the rumors flying around, Bob may be coaching the team by himself in the Fiesta Bowl.

I've got a whistle, a white v-neck t-shirt and some coaching shorts that are too tight.

I'll help!

Boomhauer
12/10/2007, 10:56 PM
ESPN, not kirk, reporting that Eastern Washington's coach is getting this gig.

Curly Bill
12/10/2007, 10:59 PM
70/50 :D

PLaw
12/10/2007, 11:03 PM
Sumlin has several opportunities to consider. I'd put the odds at better than 75% that he is gone.

Regardless, he is a good coach and good luck to him with whatever the future holds. Hopefully, his future will be in Norman.

BOOMER

Whet
12/10/2007, 11:09 PM
He will be gone by the next season.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/10/2007, 11:29 PM
He will be gone by the next season.What was Hellery doing when that avatar photo was taken?(maybe a seance w Eleanor Roosevelt?)

WA. Sooner
12/11/2007, 12:03 AM
EWU guy got it

Whet
12/11/2007, 12:18 AM
What was Hellery doing when that avatar photo was taken?(maybe a seance w Eleanor Roosevelt?)

I believe she was thinking of slightly used cigars...

12/11/2007, 12:31 AM
I believe she was thinking of slightly used cigars...Tell me your source.

Desert Sapper
12/11/2007, 12:33 AM

I thought maybe somebody asked her to show off her world famous emu immitation. :D

Crucifax Autumn
12/11/2007, 02:32 AM
What was Hellery doing when that avatar photo was taken?(maybe a seance w Eleanor Roosevelt?)

I thought she was doing a Nancy Reagan impression...

and before you slam me....I don't like her either, but the weird seance, astrologer, etc. thing got me thinking.

The other possibility is she IS a slightly used cigar!

Desert Sapper
12/11/2007, 11:08 AM

Somebody just told her that celebratory cigar she was smoking was one of Bill's slightly used ones. :eek:

Civicus_Sooner
12/11/2007, 11:20 AM
If a tree fell in the woods and there wasn't anyone around. Would it still make a sound?

I don't think his departure will be felt much.

No disrespect intended but c'mon. We'll be fine.

A-M
12/11/2007, 11:40 AM
Somebody just told her that celebratory cigar she was smoking was one of Bill's slightly used ones. :eek:

Tell me again, how did we get to this subject? You guys are really despriate for something to talk about!:D

12/11/2007, 04:16 PM
Des pri ate = Whet's new up-tempo avatar, designed to get people talkin'

snp
12/11/2007, 04:37 PM
The Houston Chronicle is reporting that he has already had a second interview for the open position there, FWIW.

He had the second interview Monday. Job still looks like it's going to that dinosaur Pardee. Should know within a couple days.

If a tree fell in the woods and there wasn't anyone around. Would it still make a sound?

I don't think his departure will be felt much.

No disrespect intended but c'mon. We'll be fine.

Dumb. He's the lead recruiter for a few top prospects and a great coach. Losing someone of his caliber will always hurt.

MojoRisen
12/11/2007, 09:37 PM
I agree, how is our Graduate assistant Program and up and comming recruiters x players looking?

snp
12/11/2007, 11:28 PM
According to the Houston Chronicle. Sumlin is no longer in contention for this job. Heywood and Pardee are the two finalists.

Watch Me Stride
12/11/2007, 11:33 PM
According to the Houston Chronicle. Sumlin is no longer in contention for this job. Heywood and Pardee are the two finalists.

Good News.

OUsooner1
12/12/2007, 12:34 AM
PULLMAN, Wash. -- New Washington State coach Paul Wulff returned to his alma mater Tuesday and immediately took aim at the Cougars' biggest rival.

"It's 22 years later and I really don't like purple," Wulff said, referring to the Washington Huskies' color. "My goal is to turn this program into the state of Washington's team. That is a battle we will win."

The 40-year-old Wulff, who has been coach at nearby Eastern Washington the past eight years, played center at Washington State from 1985-89.

He replaces Bill Doba, who was forced out after going 30-29 in five seasons. The Cougars did not qualify for a bowl game in Doba's final four seasons, going 5-7 this season.

Wulff will sign a five-year contract that will begin paying him about what Doba was paid, around $500,000 a year, athletic director Jim Sterk said.

Wulff is the 31st head football coach at WSU, and the first alumnus to hold the job since Phil Sarboe in 1945-49.

"Paul Wulff has had great success at Eastern Washington University and his Cougar roots run deep," university president Elson S. Floyd said.

Wulff was 53-40 at Eastern Washington, located 70 miles to the north in Cheney. His team qualified for the Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) playoffs in three of the past four seasons.

This year the Eagles went 9-4, losing to Appalachian State in the quarterfinals.

Wulff was Big Sky Conference coach of the year in 2001, 2004 and 2005. His teams are noted for potent offenses. Eastern Washington ranked eighth in the nation in total offense this season at 462 yards per game. Wulff plans to install the no-huddle offense at Washington State.

Wulff played under WSU coaches Jim Walden, Dennis Erickson and Mike Price.

Sterk said he was impressed by Wulff's charisma, and felt it was less of a risk to gamble on a head coach than on an assistant at a bigger program who'd never been a head coach.

"He is a great leader of men," Sterk said.

Sterk acknowledged that Wulff began as something of a dark horse. Sterk added that after interviewing six candidates, members of the search committee came to a unanimous decision on Wulff.

Wulff noted many coaches have successfully gone from lower divisions to the top echelon of college football successfully, including Erickson, Price and Jim Tressel at Ohio State.

Wulff plans to bring five or six assistants with him from EWU, and may keep one or two members of the current WSU staff. He declined to identify them. Washington State quarterbacks coach Timm Rosenbach served as Wulff's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Eastern Washington before taking the Pullman job in 2003.

"Obviously this has been a dream of mine since I joined the coaching profession," Wulff said. "It is my alma mater, a university with great tradition and a program I feel very strongly about."

Wulff's life has been touched by tragedy.

His mother disappeared when he was 12 and was presumed murdered. The case was never solved, and Wulff was raised in California by relatives and an older brother.

His first wife, Tammy, died from brain cancer at 39 in 2002, after a five-year battle.

Wulff acknowledged the members of his family who attended Tuesday's news conference.

"They helped raise me and get me to WSU," said Wulff, who wore a Washington State necktie and baseball cap. "They kept me on track."

Wulff and his second wife, Sherry, have three children.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press