PDA

View Full Version : So, I am in Boise this week........

bonkuba
12/9/2007, 11:12 PM
Well, I am in Boise this week on business. Honestly, we put these guys on the map it is pathetic. I stepped off the plane and was imediately greeted with a life-size sign of the Boise-State victory over bad 'ol Oklahoma.

Every other store has a big mural of "The Play".

What I wouldn't give for another opportunity to play the smurfs.

One guy noticed my OU nametag on my laptop and said "Man we gave it to ya last year at the Fiesta Bowl". My reply was very, very subdued (due to my father being with me on this business trip).....I replied "Well, it's nice to be in the light for 4 hours. Try being the winningest football program in america.....everyone comes after you....it's tough (I then smiled)".

I was at the Fiest Bowl last year.....and will be this year....hoping for a better outcome.:D

Anything you guys want me to ask the smurfs????:D

Collier11
12/9/2007, 11:14 PM
if they are so in love with their crappy fball team, why did their idiot fans threaten to kill their star rb cus after he married a white girl?

kevpks
12/9/2007, 11:15 PM
Ask them how it feels to play a pre-Christmas bowl this year while the Rainbow Warriors take their spot as the one-hit wonder.

goingoneight
12/9/2007, 11:33 PM
So you met the aggy of the Boise fans. Sorry to hear that... my visit to boise was rather :cool: with lots of respect paid OUr way. Especially toward Sammy B and DeMarco. One of the Boise doods asked me "where the hell was that DeMarco guy last year?" after the Tejas game in October. He also asked me why we played PT over Sammy, I explained "redshirt, senior leadership, BIG 12 ring..." and explained the whole Paul Thompson/Brett Rhomario story to him because he just thought PT was OUr 5th year senior with more capable backups. He also asked if I was "embarassed" to which I replied "no, TCU and OSU have beaten us before as well... and I still know we have a great coach and program with lots more to be proud of than not to be."

KantoSooner
12/10/2007, 12:06 AM
Anything you guys want me to ask the smurfs????

Ask them anything about potatoes. They really like that. At least my Idahoan girlfriend did....
You could also ask them if they have bellybuttons. Tell them you'd been told that people from Pocatallo don't. Make them prove it.

AimForCenterMass
12/10/2007, 12:20 AM
I was there last year during the Fiesta Bowl. I was outnumbered about 200 to 1 in a Boise sports bar and it was only then that people had the nuts to start crap after the game. A lot of those fans are weird and will live through that night for years on end. I still talk with a few friends who confirm what bonkuba stated about the banners still hanging everywhere. It's all they have.

Paperclip
12/10/2007, 12:27 AM
BSU is the Dexy's Midnight Runners of college football.

goingoneight
12/10/2007, 12:29 AM
Well, to be honest... I've been rather excitable when we've won a big game I was at. And yeah, they might have only won by a point, but they pretty much owned us with those Pontiac commercial trick plays, so I can sense their excitement, although I don't share it.

It's like the 2001 Bed-dumb game. None of us remember much other than Hybl playing with a concussion and OSU winning. But OSU fans can tell you every play from scrimmage, every look on Stoops's face, every frustrated Sooner... you get the picture. I actually know a guy who bought the 2001 Bed-dumb game from Walmart on DVD and framed it. Yeah... framed it, and put it up in his living room.

SOONER STEAKER
12/10/2007, 12:48 AM
You should have go over to the smurf turf and leave a Sooner Deposit on the 50 yd line. The Tide Bowl man will clean it up for ya the next day. Don't forget to leave your quote from above. You know, being in the light for 4 hrs.

Boomer

CORNholio
12/10/2007, 01:08 AM
Well, I am in Boise this week on business.

Are you a potatoe salesman?

CORNholio
12/10/2007, 01:10 AM
BSU is the Dexy's Midnight Runners of college football.

At least Dexy's midnight runners hit #1 on the charts.

Not so much the case for Smurf U.

Ardmore_Sooner
12/10/2007, 01:29 AM
It's great they have to go to Hawaii for their bowl game. Hawaii fans can't stand Boise, they'll fill the place up and cheer for East Carolina.

insuranceman_22
12/10/2007, 01:39 AM
Although most of the above is pretty funny, just be nice and represent the Sooner nation with pride. They had their one shot at a BCS game and they beat us. We were in it before last year, last year and again this year....and we'll be there for the forseeable future. Be proud Sooner and be classy!

jwlynn64
12/10/2007, 01:41 AM
No questions for them but if anyone else questions the game last year just remind them that the Sooners spotted them the first half and they still had to successfully complete a hook and latter just to tie the game.

Also, the only reason they actually won the game was because they won the coin toss for overtime. If OU would have had gone last, chances are BS kicks a field goal (4th and goal from the 2) or goes for one if they score. Luck of the coin toss won the game for them.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/10/2007, 02:10 AM
Tell them we played brain-dead that game. We did it again 3 times this year, and lost 2 of those games. Tell the Potato Heads we will screw up again sometime. Corngratumalate them for being at the right place at the right time.

sooner518
12/10/2007, 02:16 AM
i go to Boise every month or so for business. most people are fairly cool about it but I just know that one of these days, Zabranski is gonna be on the other side of the window at the Wendy's drive-thru.

insuranceman_22
12/10/2007, 02:17 AM
i go to Boise every month or so for business. most people are fairly cool about it but I just know that one of these days, Zabranski is gonna be on the other side of the window at the Wendy's drive-thru.

Now that's funny.....and maybe true!:D

NYC Poke
12/10/2007, 03:32 AM
Can you pick me up a t-shirt?

Just kidding, just kidding. I hate that stuff as much as y'all do, probably more.

hgarmorer
12/10/2007, 04:21 AM
Can you pick me up a t-shirt?

Just kidding, just kidding. I hate that stuff as much as y'all do, probably more.

Only if it's from Hard Rock, well I guess shot glass will work also

TheHumanAlphabet
12/10/2007, 06:15 AM
My reply was very, very subdued (due to my father being with me on this business trip).....I replied "Well, it's nice to be in the light for 4 hours. Try being the winningest football program in america.....everyone comes after you....it's tough (I then smiled)".

Best Reply EVAR!!!

So what was the 'tard's response?

101sooner
12/10/2007, 07:35 AM
I work with a couple of them. They're not too bad. One of them won't let it go, but I just wont talk football with him anymore. I think he's starting to get the point.

The one's that bother me are the 'Horns, 'Huskers, Poke's, Mizzou fans, etc. that play the Boise card. I let a Mizzou fan have it big time over that the other day. I took him to the game in Norman with my seasons tickets. After the game, he looked at me and said "Boise". I wanted to beat some sense in to him, but I just let it go. After the Championship game, he did it again.. This time I didn't let it go.

Now I'm no lawyer and I wasn't on the "debate" team in HS, but that's just too easy.

Let's just say Ozark Aggie has lost all credibility with the college football crowd at work.

misplaced_sooner
12/10/2007, 09:46 AM
I walked into a store in Boise and some guy scoffed at my OU shirt. He said, "Oklahoma, ha...BSU". I just held up 7 fingers.

Andrew

MextheBulldog
12/10/2007, 09:59 AM
I let a Mizzou fan have it big time over that the other day. I took him to the game in Norman with my seasons tickets. After the game, he looked at me and said "Boise". I wanted to beat some sense in to him, but I just let it go. After the Championship game, he did it again. This time I didn't let it go.
Let's just say Ozark Aggie has lost all credibility with the college football crowd at work.

Two words: Boo-ger

(if you want to play the game at his level, which apparently is about the level of a 3rd grader)

SOONERxWife73
12/10/2007, 11:56 AM
Repeat..threepeat...fourpeat.......if your not consistent then IT don't cOUnt!!

bonkuba
12/10/2007, 12:11 PM
Are you a potatoe salesman?

:D :D :D No.....hahaha!!! I own two tire stores. Our point of sale software is written here (go figure)....here for a week long class......geeesh.

The guys in the office building here have been a little better. Giving respect to OU and pretty much saying that trick plays wond them the game and we are the real deal and that they really do watch OU football now (really weird stuff....seriously).

They have good french fries here......

Sean

bonkuba
12/10/2007, 12:13 PM
Although most of the above is pretty funny, just be nice and represent the Sooner nation with pride. They had their one shot at a BCS game and they beat us. We were in it before last year, last year and again this year....and we'll be there for the forseeable future. Be proud Sooner and be classy!

No problem there and understood. I always represent the paperclip with pride!!! :D :D :D

As time goes on here there are a lot more good folks here and it's weird....they are actually following OU football now. It's kinda like they saw us and.....are now fans?????? I know.....I am confused as well.

Sean

Ardmore_Sooner
12/10/2007, 12:14 PM
Long trip from Ardmore to Boise....

bonkuba
12/10/2007, 12:14 PM
Best Reply EVAR!!!

So what was the 'tard's response?

Complete silence......then walked off.........:eek:

bonkuba
12/10/2007, 12:16 PM
Long trip from Ardmore to Boise....

Yeah and snowing like a mo fo up here now.

Ardmore_Sooner
12/10/2007, 12:17 PM
What tire stores do you own?

bonkuba
12/10/2007, 12:25 PM
What tire stores do you own?

Just left you a PM.

Sean

EstablishedSooner1967
12/10/2007, 12:42 PM
Sounds to me like OU and the coaching staff should have played better and you would not be having this talk... this gamed really ****ed me off and the fact is it made BSU... the fist David and Goliath of college football.

virginiasooner
12/10/2007, 01:29 PM
My hubbie and I had to share a cab back to Phoenix with a Boise Stater. He was so genuinely happy and excited. I congratulated him on his team's victory, and told him "now do that in Ann Arbor, or Austin, or South Bend, or in the Colliseum." "But we beat Oregon State, and they beat USC!" "You can't play that one-removed game. Go play a powerhouse as an away game, and then let's see if you belong." And then of course there were the two Boise Staters, coming up to me (because I looked nice) and very politely asking me: "What's a Sooner?" Which I did, while not commenting on their crappy high school education.

SoonerRecon
12/10/2007, 01:29 PM
while in boise, avoid elected officials in public bathroom stalls doing tap dance routines, apparently there is a gay connotation.

also, please take a picture of the steaming deuce on their blue fifty yard line

stoops the eternal pimp
12/10/2007, 01:46 PM
If you see the Penguin, tell em STEP said hey

bonkuba
12/10/2007, 05:09 PM
OK........

Now, my instructor (very nice lady so far) is starting to talk about the mighty, mighty Broncos. And did you see the Fiesta Bowl last year.....we are good now!!!! We are going to Hawaii!!! We are being noticed for the great football team that we have always been.

I politely asked how long she has followed her team. She answered...."Since last year".

Kill......me......now.........:D

Sean

Sooner98
12/10/2007, 05:36 PM
At least Dexy's midnight runners hit #1 on the charts.

Not so much the case for Smurf U.

In that case, Boise State is the "Quarterflash" of college football.

bearcat_sooner
12/10/2007, 09:42 PM
In that case, Boise State is the "Quarterflash" of college football.

Dude...........Harden my Heart fecking rokes!!

dog-knee
12/10/2007, 10:51 PM
I'm wondering if our Tire Guy temporarily exiled to Boise keeps running into folks who follow Sooner football because Boise State fans realize that they are only legitimate in big time football to the extent that people see OU prosper.

This one of those interesting phenomena in D1 college football you don't get in other sports --- because there's no playoff (if you want to argue there should be, start another thread), a lot of folks work out how good they are by who they've beaten within living memory. 'Course OU fans measure our team's worth in championships.

OU_PhD
12/11/2007, 11:48 AM
My wife is from Boise and we both went to school at BSU for a while. I went there when I was stationed at Mountain Home AFB and was accumulating credits while living in Boise (She and I both graduated from OU, though). I was there right when BSU went to D1 and I went to games. My wife's dorm room was in the parking lot of the football stadium.

Anyway, I was at the Fiesta Bowl last year and I was ****ed we lost but I got much love for BSU. If they had beaten Michigan or Ohio State, everyone on this board would love them too. My father-in-law is a huge BSU fan and he's been super cool with me. As Sooner fans who went to the Fiesta Bowl last year like myself will attest, BSU fans were just hoping to have a competitive game before it started--and I admire fans who travel to such lengths when they don't think their team has much of a chance. Turns out they were rewarded and I don't hate them for that.

jwlynn64
12/11/2007, 04:44 PM
So what do you hate them for! ;)

bonkuba
12/11/2007, 04:50 PM
:D :D :D

swardboy
12/11/2007, 04:54 PM
My wife's dorm room was in the parking lot of the football stadium.

I'm just not going to touch this.....

Little Al
12/12/2007, 12:27 AM
Why is the artificial turf blue in the BSU stadium?

It's to keep the cheerleaders from grazing at halftime.

AimForCenterMass
12/12/2007, 12:37 AM
I went there when I was stationed at Mountain Home AFB and was accumulating credits while living in Boise (She and I both graduated from OU, though).

When were you there? Me -- May 2002 to Feb 2007

Boise was nice, but I didn't care much for Mountain Home. I have never encountered so many low-lifes than when I lived in Mtn. Home. Boise, on the other hand, was the cleanest city I have ever visited...as long as you don't mind the drive.

Tailgate
12/12/2007, 01:09 AM
I was at the Fiesta Bowl last year and will likely be there this year as well.

It was an awesome game. Boise went 13-0. It would be hard for any fan to come down off that high for a year. They deserve to be pumped up and talk smack.

Let them have there fun and hope you can play them another time to see what happens then.

It was a helluva season for them.

bonkuba
12/12/2007, 10:45 AM
I was at the Fiesta Bowl last year and will likely be there this year as well.

It was an awesome game. Boise went 13-0. It would be hard for any fan to come down off that high for a year. They deserve to be pumped up and talk smack.

Let them have there fun and hope you can play them another time to see what happens then.

It was a helluva season for them.

Not trying to be rude here at all........

Having fun yes.......talking smack? Absolutely not.......no way.....no how.:D

bonkuba
12/12/2007, 10:49 AM
Not trying to be rude here at all........

Having fun yes.......talking smack? Absolutely not.......no way.....no how.:D

OK.....on second thought.......maybe Bronco horsey smack :D :D :D

Jacie
12/13/2007, 12:36 PM
One & done, let em have their fun. One great season and a handful of trick plays doesn't make them a perennial powerhouse.

Sooner fans get pumped in April over OU's chances of another National Title every year. Should finish Top 5 this year with a shot at a #2 ranking when it's all over and a few 2008 preseason mags will have Oklahoma ranked #1. I am over losing to Blue Field State.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/13/2007, 12:55 PM
That game was such a wacky flukey game. I just couldn't be sad about that game.

dog-knee
12/14/2007, 12:24 AM
So, this time a year ago, I'm sitting in The Palms restaurant in Nashville, talking with one of our business partners. Turns out she and her brothers are from Boise. Friendly smack-talk ensued.

Imagine my chagrin when, after three straight successful trick plays, BSU beats OU to win the Fiesta Bowl. Cost me a case of Choc Beer from Krebs, six Oklahoma buffalo T-bone steaks, and a crisp hundred dollar bill.

I haven't forgotten, and I'm not over it. Death to the smurf turf crew.

bonkuba
12/15/2007, 06:02 PM
I made it back to OK.......

Man that place sucks......I mean really, really sucks.

Anyway, more power to the "Flash in the pan team".

Sean