PDA

View Full Version : To all you OU students out there....

Ardmore_Sooner
12/9/2007, 09:51 PM
Classes have been canceled for tomorrow.

http://www.ou.edu/web/home.html

Vaevictis
12/9/2007, 09:58 PM
meh, this junks up my study schedule.

SicEmBaylor
12/9/2007, 10:04 PM
My last final is tomorrow. I'd be ****ed if class was canceled and pushed my final back.

mdklatt
12/9/2007, 10:05 PM
My last final is tomorrow. I'd be ****ed if class was canceled and pushed my final back.

Classes at Baylor are only cancelled in case of Rapture.

proud gonzo
12/9/2007, 10:05 PM
i'm a little mad i'll have to wait to take my only final on thursday... but this means i don't have to get up early tomorrow. and I have more time to study and get crap done. :D

SicEmBaylor
12/9/2007, 10:08 PM

That's evidently true.

Ardmore_Sooner
12/9/2007, 10:09 PM

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif

Vaevictis
12/9/2007, 10:10 PM
Meh, I was supposed to have a presentation tomorrow; now it'll be backed up and probably set at a time when I'd rather be studying for a different final.

Not happy. :/

Ardmore_Sooner
12/9/2007, 10:12 PM
I'm just glad I don't have any finals tomorrow.

SicEmBaylor
12/9/2007, 10:13 PM
I'm just glad I don't have any finals tomorrow.

We have 9am Saturday finals here. I had one this year, and I don't know who came up with the idea but they should be hung from a lamp post in Burleson Quadrangle as a warning to future administrators who may consider doing something that absurd.

Ardmore_Sooner
12/9/2007, 10:16 PM
We have 9am Saturday finals here. I had one this year, and I don't know who came up with the idea but they should be hung from a lamp post in Burleson Quadrangle as a warning to future administrators who may consider doing something that absurd.

How about they go on a date with Kim Mulkey instead?

jage
12/9/2007, 10:17 PM
d@mnit! I was going to be done with all my finals by Wednesday.

Although, I'm praying right now that my teacher will give us the option on whether or not we want to take the final...that way I can get an A, rather than blowing it on the final and getting a B...one can hope right?

Vaevictis
12/9/2007, 10:18 PM
d@mnit! I was going to be done with all my finals by Wednesday.

Although, I'm praying right now that my teacher will give us the option on whether or not we want to take the final...that way I can get an A, rather than blowing it on the final and getting a B...one can hope right?

What class(es) and what profs?

jage
12/9/2007, 10:20 PM
What class(es) and what profs?

Intro to Electronics: Dr. Sluss

Vaevictis
12/9/2007, 10:21 PM
Heh, I didn't know Sluss had taken that over. Gotta suck to haul himself down from Tulsa 2-3 days a week.

illinisooner
12/9/2007, 10:22 PM
This sucks, I have (had) one final on Monday and one on Tuesday, the first time I've had them end that early. So I was looking forward to that; they aren't even that difficult anyway. Normally this would be sweet, a few more days to drink, but the roads are crap and everyone will just use the extra time to study anyway. My guess is that Tuesday's finals will be cancelled as well, since the worst of it is supposed to come tomorrow. Someone said this happened a few years ago and you had the option of keeping your current grade or taking the final on Saturday. Any truth to this?

Ardmore_Sooner
12/9/2007, 10:22 PM
December 7, 2007

Any weather-related decisions are made day by day, typically late in the evening or early in the morning in consultation with President Boren based on current and future forecasts as well as road conditions. All information regarding University closing will be posted on the OU Homepage (www.ou.edu) and disseminated to all major Oklahoma City television stations. Additionally, the Provost will send out an e-mail to academic deans, chairs, and directors that should be relayed to all instructional faculty.

If the decision is made to close the University during a day of final exams, no instructor can require a student to take an exam on that day. An instructor who is safely able to get to campus can elect to provide students who are safely able to get to campus with an exam; however, neither instructor nor students are required to do so.

If the University officially closes on a final exam day, instructors whose finals were scheduled to be given that day will be asked to give students, especially those with non-refundable airplane tickets for winter break travel, the option of either:

1) taking the final exam at a designated place on Friday evening, December 14; Saturday, December 15; or on Sunday, December 16, after 1:00 pm,

or

2) taking the final after spring semester classes start at a time designated by the instructor.

Fortunately, on this year’s academic calendar, Fall Finals Week is earlier in December than is sometimes the case.

On the Norman Campus, The Senior Vice President & Provost is working with Class scheduling and will post by Wednesday, December 12 the time and location of any finals to be given under option 1 above.

As always, whenever there is poor weather and even if OU chooses to remain open; I ask everyone, instructors and students alike, to use common sense regarding safe driving.

jage
12/9/2007, 10:24 PM
Heh, I didn't know Sluss had taken that over. Gotta suck to haul himself down from Tulsa 2-3 days a week.

He actually does video conferencing on mondays from Tulsa...not sure if he lives in Tulsa or not, if he does, I'm sure he doesn't want to drive down in this weather.

Are you getting your masters at OU, or are you a senior?

Vaevictis
12/9/2007, 10:32 PM
He actually does video conferencing on mondays from Tulsa...not sure if he lives in Tulsa or not, if he does, I'm sure he doesn't want to drive down in this weather.

I'm pretty sure he lives in Tulsa; I do know that he was TCOM faculty before he was the ECE director.

Are you getting your masters at OU, or are you a senior?

Finished up my MS ECE in July; working on MBA right now.

jage
12/9/2007, 10:36 PM
Finished up my MS ECE in July; working on MBA right now.

Thats awesome, smart move on your part, you should do very well after college!

I'm hoping I can get into the 1 year MS ECE program. Going to take the GRE next semester when I stop procrastinating, then hopefully that should be good enough for them to let me in.

Vaevictis
12/9/2007, 10:41 PM
I'm hoping I can get into the 1 year MS ECE program. Going to take the GRE next semester when I stop procrastinating, then hopefully that should be good enough for them to let me in.

Um. If you're going to do that, you need to get on that now. IIRC, you're supposed to already have that application in by now.

Also, the degree plan doesn't tell you this, but IIRC, you do have to take a 5000 level math course, so double check to make sure.

jage
12/9/2007, 10:44 PM
Um. If you're going to do that, you need to get on that now. IIRC, you're supposed to already have that application in by now.

The ECE office lady told me that I couldn't even apply until Spring 08. I won't be starting the MS 1 year program until Fall 08, not next semester (sorry if I confused you).

Vaevictis
12/9/2007, 10:49 PM
The ECE office lady told me that I couldn't even apply until Spring 08. I won't be starting the MS 1 year program until Fall 08, not next semester (sorry if I confused you).

Hmm, which lady? Was it Lynn Hall? If not, I think that's who you need to talk to.

All I know is that I had some friends who had some problems because they waited until the beginning of their senior year to apply for the 5 year program; they were told that they should have applied during their junior year. Policies might have changed in the last couple of years though, so...

jage
12/10/2007, 12:05 AM
Hmm, which lady? Was it Lynn Hall? If not, I think that's who you need to talk to.

All I know is that I had some friends who had some problems because they waited until the beginning of their senior year to apply for the 5 year program; they were told that they should have applied during their junior year. Policies might have changed in the last couple of years though, so...

Yeah, it was Lynn. And your right, it has to be during your junior year. Next semester is still my junior year.

SicEmBaylor
12/10/2007, 12:08 AM
Yeah, it was Lynn. And your right, it has to be during your junior year. Next semester is still my junior year.
Every year is my junior year.
My college experience has been like the movie Groundhog Day.

Vaevictis
12/10/2007, 12:12 AM

Ah hah.

Seriously, get on that **** now. Stop procrastinating. IIRC, you're going to be in Lab III next semester, and if it's like it used to be it will eat up all of your time. I am not kidding or exaggerating when I referred to it as "academic hazing."

tulsaoilerfan
12/10/2007, 12:18 AM
Damn is the weather that bad in Norman?

Vaevictis
12/10/2007, 12:18 AM
Damn is the weather that bad in Norman?

No, but it's raining outside and it's <30 degrees. Everything is going to be covered in ice by the morning.

John Kochtoston
12/10/2007, 01:05 AM
This sucks donkey balls. I was supposed to have my last final Monday, now it's scheduled for Saturday.so much for seeing the family and such.

Ike
12/10/2007, 01:21 AM
I had forgotten how badly Norman grinds to a halt at the slightest sign of a winter storm.

Ruuuuuufus
12/10/2007, 01:32 AM
Ah hah.

Seriously, get on that **** now. Stop procrastinating. IIRC, you're going to be in Lab III next semester, and if it's like it used to be it will eat up all of your time. I am not kidding or exaggerating when I referred to it as "academic hazing."

it's not that bad now. La Spisa retired. They made Robles teach it and apparently it was terrible. Chad Davis is teaching it now and they have alot of cool projects.

proud gonzo
12/10/2007, 01:49 AM
I had forgotten how badly Norman grinds to a halt at the slightest sign of a winter storm.no kidding. and... i'm still not seeing ice storm of death.

setem
12/10/2007, 02:02 AM
No finals for me tomorrow!

http://img31.picoodle.com/img/img31/5/12/10/f_sadkittym_9f643c7.jpg

Wensdy, Thursdy, and Fridy is when I have my teses!

Vaevictis
12/10/2007, 02:03 AM
it's not that bad now. La Spisa retired. They made Robles teach it and apparently it was terrible. Chad Davis is teaching it now and they have alot of cool projects.

Yeah, I knew La Spisa retired. I was under the impression that they were going to keep it the same. Too bad they didn't; that class served as the main filter. And I guess I expect it's easier now if Chad's teaching it. He's a Fagan product. Good instructors, but they're easier on the student than Lab III was meant to be.

And yeah, I can see how Robles teaching it would be terrible. Nice guy, but that's about the only good thing you can say about him.

Sooner_Havok
12/10/2007, 02:05 AM
Well, just FYI, while everything else may be closed on OU, including branch libraries, Bizzel will still be open 24 hours :(

I guess while employees at the fine arts library and the other branch libraries, and all of the folks up in the Dean's office have meaning, the lives of us working in Bizzell have no meaning.

tommieharris91
12/10/2007, 02:09 AM
You must stay open for me to cram and procrastinate on cramming.

All your lifz are belong to Boren.

:P

proud gonzo
12/10/2007, 02:14 AM
hehe

illinisooner
12/10/2007, 02:24 AM
December 7, 2007

Any weather-related decisions are made day by day, typically late in the evening or early in the morning in consultation with President Boren based on current and future forecasts as well as road conditions. All information regarding University closing will be posted on the OU Homepage (www.ou.edu) and disseminated to all major Oklahoma City television stations. Additionally, the Provost will send out an e-mail to academic deans, chairs, and directors that should be relayed to all instructional faculty.

If the decision is made to close the University during a day of final exams, no instructor can require a student to take an exam on that day. An instructor who is safely able to get to campus can elect to provide students who are safely able to get to campus with an exam; however, neither instructor nor students are required to do so.

If the University officially closes on a final exam day, instructors whose finals were scheduled to be given that day will be asked to give students, especially those with non-refundable airplane tickets for winter break travel, the option of either:

1) taking the final exam at a designated place on Friday evening, December 14; Saturday, December 15; or on Sunday, December 16, after 1:00 pm,

or

2) taking the final after spring semester classes start at a time designated by the instructor.

Fortunately, on this year’s academic calendar, Fall Finals Week is earlier in December than is sometimes the case.

On the Norman Campus, The Senior Vice President & Provost is working with Class scheduling and will post by Wednesday, December 12 the time and location of any finals to be given under option 1 above.

As always, whenever there is poor weather and even if OU chooses to remain open; I ask everyone, instructors and students alike, to use common sense regarding safe driving.

Where did you find this? That is the last thing I wanted to hear, I was excited about possibly not having to take finals and keep my low B in these BS business classes that don't relate to my major.

Ardmore_Sooner
12/10/2007, 03:10 AM
Where did you find this? That is the last thing I wanted to hear, I was excited about possibly not having to take finals and keep my low B in these BS business classes that don't relate to my major.

Girlfriend got it in an email from a professor.

BASSooner
12/10/2007, 05:10 AM
Classes might possibly be canceled on tuesday as well. They said that the storm would clear up on mid tuesday.

If this were to be the case, I think the university would seek other solutions

RacerX
12/10/2007, 06:31 AM
UCO - if you had a final today, that final is cancelled. Your semester course work is your grade.

UNLESS you had a freakin' take home final like me. It's still due.

My other final is Wednesday, so no help there.

http://www.ucok.edu/resources/closing_info.htm

illinisooner
12/10/2007, 11:39 AM
I wish OU did that.

tommieharris91
12/10/2007, 11:42 AM
I kinda need to take a final and do good on it. I'm kinda carrying a D in one of my classes right now that I really need a C or better in...

It ain't till Wednesday though.

85Sooner
12/10/2007, 12:10 PM
Cancelled?????????????????? I remember when we had to walk 10 miles in snow up to our ears, uphill, both ways.....................................you know the drill:)

illinisooner
12/10/2007, 04:37 PM
Finals are a go on Tuesday.