PDA

View Full Version : Mere bad taste...or something worse? You decide.

Okla-homey
12/9/2007, 09:30 AM
Apparently a couple of Penn Staters dressed up like shot VT students at Halloween. Now, they are in big trouble.

Now, its very insensitive and all, but where do we draw the "public outrage over private insensitivity = public censuring/punishment" line?

Here's the story:

It started with a picture on Facebook and has now created a firestorm of outrage.

Two Penn State students, dressed as Virginia Tech shooting victims, at a Halloween party have enraged people from the Virginia Tech community, as well as the entire country.

10 On Your Side has seen all of the controversial pictures. They are of two Penn State students and are extremely graphic. Both are wearing Virginia Tech t-shirts and elaborate make-up. Both have bullet holes in their bodies.

Our decision not to show you the pictures is a result of our desire to be sensitive to a community that is still grieving. We also want to show respect to the shooting victims, their families, and their friends. Showing these pictures would serve no purpose.

[don't worry, I posted a pic of one of them at the bottom]

We talked with one of the students who wore the costume. He said the outfits were worn to a small party and meant to be private.

"It's not that it was funny, it's that we are notorious and infamous in the state college, so we have to do things that push the envelope just for shock value," he said.

Penn State officials were quick to respond to the costumes.

"We are appalled that these individuals would display this level of insensitivity, indifference, and lack of common decency and sense by dressing up in this manner," the school said.

"The fact that one of these individuals is actually from Virginia, makes it even more difficult to understand. Just because something is within the bounds of the Constitution and free speech, does not mean it should be undertaken. We certainly condemn these ugly and senseless actions. Most Penn Staters are as offended by this as anyone from Virginia Tech would be-- and rightfully so. These two people do not represent 90,000 Penn State students. They represent themselves."

After seeing the pictures, a Virginia Tech student created a Facebook group called, "People Against This Costume." Some of the upset members have left threatening messages to the Penn State students.:eek:

"This is a group of college students who now think it's trendy to be upset about their friends being killed," one of the two Penn State students who wore the costume said. "I don't know what they teach people in Virginia Tech, but at Penn State we don't learn to threaten people with murder to teach them that murdering is wrong."

He goes on to defend the pictures.

"The thing is, everybody's making a big stink about Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech was 32 deaths out of the 26 thousand that happen in America everyday," he said. "That's the problem with college students. They all live in an ivory tower of privilege. They don't understand, when it all boils down to it, it's someone wearing a costume."

Reaction from Tech students and Blacksburg residents was disgust.

"That somebody would have the nerve to mock [the victims]. They were really good people," said local business owner, Carol Gwin.

Gwin knew three of the victims in the shootings and considered them cherished friends.

http://aycu06.webshots.com/image/36965/2000118964680853498_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2000118964680853498)

Rogue
12/9/2007, 09:35 AM
It's how we regulate social behavior outside of laws and government. If someone acts in a way that isn't accepted by the larger group, we ostracize one another in order to shape future behavior. This is about it being public when it was intended to be private.

Jerk
12/9/2007, 09:39 AM
Zero character, zero sensibility, and absolutely no knowledge of what's right and wrong.

Okla-homey
12/9/2007, 09:43 AM
Zero character, zero sensibility, and absolutely no knowledge of what's right and wrong.

Sure. No argument. But do they deserve burning, like witches? I mean, they're just kids.

Jerk
12/9/2007, 09:48 AM
Sure. No argument. But do they deserve burning, like witches? I mean, they're just kids.

Public stoning, old testement style.

No, not really. But these people are bound to screw up their lives in one way or the other, because what goes around comes around. I call it God. Some people call it karma.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/9/2007, 09:52 AM
It's how we regulate social behavior outside of laws and government. If someone acts in a way that isn't accepted by the larger group, we ostracize one another in order to shape future behavior. This is about it being public when it was intended to be private.The innerweb is not private.

TUSooner
12/9/2007, 10:11 AM
They deserve whatever censure they are getting in the public forum. They need to be shouted down, shamed, and cussed at. When you do stupid **** you need to be called out.
I don't know what more is warranted or what good it would do, since they seem so stupid that they still can't understand that they have offended many sensible decent people for no other reason than to proclaim their own cleverness. Being clever is evidently all that matters to them.

Plus, if you punish them, they think they are martyrs for free speech.
Stupid ****heads :rolleyes: :mad: :(

VeeJay
12/9/2007, 10:55 AM
A friend of mine mentioned over this incident that the brain functions of a college aged student are not sufficiently mature to consider the long term consequences of actions. Whether or not this is true, I do not know.

The gentleman interviewed was comfortable in his role as the Penn State envelope pusher. We can only bow down to his greatness. I do know that generally, once college students get beyond the playground phase and begin paying bills, working a full time job, are forced into more responsible roles, this stuff goes away.

In the meantime, if an a ss kicking or two helps along that maturity process, it's all good.

OCUDad
12/9/2007, 10:57 AM
Stupid, thoughtless, insensitive, inappropriate? Yes.

Worthy of becoming a media event? No.

OU-HSV
12/9/2007, 11:07 AM
Whatever comes of it...we know one thing, they are some classless individuals. As a human, you have to know where to draw the line in doing disrespectful things...and I say that line got crossed there.

Flagstaffsooner
12/9/2007, 11:15 AM
It is disgusting. But VT is not known as a haven of classiness.

Okla-homey
12/9/2007, 11:28 AM
A friend of mine mentioned over this incident that the brain functions of a college aged student are not sufficiently mature to consider the long term consequences of actions. Whether or not this is true, I do not know.

I believe the above is true. I base my conclusion having been immersed amidst 22-26 y/o's for almost three years in an educational setting. My observations, which are not merely anecdotal, are instead based on my overall experience and a sample size of several hundred otherwise very intelligent twenty-somethings. That experience supports my categorical statement; adolescence lasts until around 25 nowadays.

WILBURJIM
12/9/2007, 11:56 AM
Different sensitivities involved in this situation but, nonetheless a Halloween costume that raised hackles. Adults(over 25) at the center of this controversy, and government employees, to boot. What really irks me about this, is the fact that our immigration system is broke but, the immigration officials still have time to "party." THat bothers me more than the "insensitve" costume.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,309359,00.html

Pricetag
12/9/2007, 01:22 PM
Gallows humor is a pretty common human characteristic, is it not? It seems like once something gets a ribbon, though, it's off limits for life.

These folks deserve every bit of riducule they get, but nothing beyond that. They better not be getting kicked out of school or anything.

proud gonzo
12/9/2007, 01:35 PM
if someone thought there was a way to punish them legally for their actions, they'd be wrong. BUT on an individual basis, if people want to be outraged, that's their complete right. And if that leads to media attention and public outcry, i'd say that's a perfectly reasonable consequence. they have a right to be insensitive idiots, and everyone else has a right to be offended.

yermom
12/9/2007, 01:54 PM
did they post the pics on facebook or did someone else?

olevetonahill
12/9/2007, 02:05 PM
if someone thought there was a way to punish them legally for their actions, they'd be wrong. BUT on an individual basis, if people want to be outraged, that's their complete right. And if that leads to media attention and public outcry, i'd say that's a perfectly reasonable consequence. they have a right to be insensitive idiots, and everyone else has a right to be offended.

What PG said

rufnek05
12/9/2007, 03:09 PM
Bad form. Very disrespectful to the victims and their families.

soonerboomer93
12/9/2007, 06:33 PM
"It's not that it was funny, it's that we are notorious and infamous in the state college, so we have to do things that push the envelope just for shock value," he said.

shock value for shock value is definitely becoming absolutely lame imho, they don't have to do things that push the envelope, they make a choice to do them.

I'm way past caring about shock value, have been for a long time. What was more reprehensible were some of the comments I saw about the victims on one of the news sites in Penn.

Ike
12/9/2007, 06:39 PM
As my grandfather always said: "Everyone is entitled to their own ridiculous opinion". The verbal beatdowns they are getting are surely deserved. Probably not the threats of bodily harm, but it seems to me that most such threats over stupid stunts are empty.

Overall, I kind of look at this story as a non-event. "Hey look, there are stupid people. IN COLLEGE!"

stoops the eternal pimp
12/9/2007, 07:00 PM
I m glad youtube and the inner net werent around when I was in high school and college...I d hate for my stupidity and ignorance to get put out in the public domain

1stTimeCaller
12/9/2007, 07:03 PM
I d hate for my stupidity and ignorance to get put out in the public domain

too late
;)

TUSooner
12/9/2007, 08:05 PM

The gentleman interviewed was comfortable in his role as the Penn State envelope pusher. We can only bow down to his greatness. I do know that generally, once college students get beyond the playground phase and begin paying bills, working a full time job, are forced into more responsible roles, this stuff goes away.

In the meantime, if an a ss kicking or two helps along that maturity process, it's all good.
That's what I meant. :)