PDA

View Full Version : Ex-(B.A.) Tiger coach gets third title

OU-HSV
12/9/2007, 09:29 AM
I ran into this story this morning. I'm sure some of you Oklahoma high school football fans may be familiar with this coach. I played under Rick Jones at Broken Arrow. A few years after I graduated he left for Greenwood Ark. Amazing what a decent coach can do when he doesn't have to play dominating Jenks and Union teams year in and year out. And don't be fooled, there's some good competition in Arkansas high school ball.
Congrats to coach Jones on finding success.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19084589&BRD=2754&PAG=461&dept_id=574584&rfi=6

Ex-Tiger coach gets third title

By: Doug Quinn, Sports Editor
12/04/2007
Updated 12/04/2007 09:4 2:02 PM CST

Winning football state championships aren't easy.
But Rick Jones makes it look that way at Greenwood, Ark., High School.

The former Broken Arrow High School coach made it three-in-a-row Saturday with the Bulldogs.

Perhaps the game - played at venerable War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock - was easier than Greenwood's path.

The Bulldogs avenged their only loss with a 26-7 victory over Little Rock Christian.

It was that defeat (44-7) which sent Greenwood on an improbable path - all road games.

The Bulldogs eliminated No. 1 seed Pulaski Academy, 57-50, in the first round, in a rematch of the 2006 state final won by Greenwood, 57-56.

Another challenge was a four and one-half bus ride to Camden-Fairview, which had four NCAA Division I signees. The Bulldogs won that one, 24-21, in the semifinals.

"It's not the journey," Jones said Monday. "It's the destination. But, this was a wild ride.

"Nobody really gave us much of a chance. But, I really admire what our kids have achieved."

For Jones, who coached BAHS from 1995-2003, this was his fourth state title, including the 1989 gold ball for Edmond Memorial.

In his career, Jones-coached teams reached, but didn't win, state championship games in 1987 (Edmond Memorial), 2002 (Broken Arrow) and Greenwood (2004).

What Greenwood accomplished Saturday might put this one at the top of the heap.

"This one has to be extra special," Jones said, "considering everything this team has been through."

He probably aged a bit this season, too.

That sleek black hair he had during his Broken Arrow days has faded.

"I get the gray cut off," he said, laughing. "What's left isn't as dark as it used to be.

"I tell people coaching is like a dog's life - each year is like seven. I might be about 212 now."

sozo
12/9/2007, 10:12 AM
Yeah,Poteau has had to play this bunch the last few years and it hasn't been pretty.They look more like a college team,in numbers and execeution.Last qb went to Miami,may be playing baseball now though,and this qb is going to Tulsa to play for Gus.

OU-HSV
12/9/2007, 10:44 AM
Yeah,Poteau has had to play this bunch the last few years and it hasn't been pretty.They look more like a college team,in numbers and execeution.Last qb went to Miami,may be playing baseball now though,and this qb is going to Tulsa to play for Gus.
Really, I didn't know about the current QB going to Tulsa. That's cool.