PDA

View Full Version : Current UFC/MMA stuff

tbl
12/9/2007, 12:52 AM
TUF finale tonight:
Man I was REALLY hoping Guida would beat Huerta. He was too, but got caught by that knee at the start of the 3rd. Dang it!

There was some pretty good action tonight. That War Machine/J-Rock fight was awesome. I still can't believe WM pulled it off.

Danzig is going to be good at lightweight, but that is a LOADED division, so he's really going to have a tough road to get to the top. Speaking of the top, what the mess is going on with Sherk? I guess BJ Penn will get to fight him after he beats whoever he's fighting in January? (Florian I think?) I don't see how he got to keep his belt with them upholding the steroid decision.

Other random thoughts...
I think the UFC/Pride thing is all moot now. They're pretty evened up as far as head to head goes, and Pride is no longer, so who really cares? I think Wandy is going to annihilate Chuck, but I would definitely not consider that a "win" for Pride. Chuck is most definitely not the fighter he used to be, and I completely believe its the partying and Hollywood lifestyle he's leading that has brought him to that point. Hardcore drinking, possible drugs, and getting up there in age are not good combo's when you're in a sport that peak physical/mental condition is absolutely essential. I used to like Chuck but the way he's been acting outside the ring has really turned me off. Wandy on the other hand is a class act. Every interview, video clip, or article I've seen on him makes me like him more and more. He's also an amazing fighter.

GSP vs Hughes could be a great fight. I'm hoping Hughes comes better prepared this time and shows what a champion he is. It kinda stinks b/c I like both of these guys. I still give the edge to GSP, but I'd say I'm pulling more for Hughes. If nothing else, Hughes and Serra just HAVE to fight with all this stuff we've been hearing since Serra was on "TUF: The Comeback". That dude has been dogging Hughes out for a looooong time now and they have to make that fight happen, regardless of what happens with GSP.

tbl
12/9/2007, 01:19 AM
Nevermind. Stripped. Also, Joe Daddy vs Penn, not Florian. Either way, Penn wins.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/mma_experts/post/Sherk-stripped-of-lightweight-title;_ylt=Am9TLtRxv1r.4K5yBNuBJWM9Eo14?urn=mma,56 811

Sherk stripped of lightweight title

By Dave Meltzer

Saturday, Dec 8, 2007 8:15 pm EST

Without much fanfare, the Ultimate Fighting Championship stripped Sean Sherk of the lightweight championship. Company officials confirmed this information on Saturday before its event in Las Vegas.

Sherk, 34, had tested positive for the anabolic steroid Nandrolone, more commonly known as Decadurabolin, in his July 7 title defense in Sacramento, Calif. where he defeated Hermes Franca. Franca also tested positive for steroids during the fight. Sherk won via five round decision. The California State Athletic Commission, unlike Nevada, doesn't have the legal authority to overturn a decision based on a positive drug test.

Sherk had appealed the test result, and on Tuesday the commission cut his one-year suspension to six months, but upheld the $2,500 fine. Sherk is eligible to fight again on Jan. 3.

Because the appeal verdict was that his test result was not overturned, it left UFC officials with little alternative, other than set a dangerous precedent had they not decided to strip Sherk of the championship, for a company that has stated a public hard line on steroid use among its competitors.

UFC president Dana White had already booked B.J. Penn vs. Joe Stevenson for the interim championship on Jan. 19 in Newcastle, England. Had Sherk been cleared, he would have faced the winner at the earliest possible date. Now the Penn-Stevenson winner would be the outright champion. It has not been confirmed whether Sherk would still get the first shot at the winner.

Boomer.....
12/9/2007, 08:47 PM
TUF finale tonight:
Man I was REALLY hoping Guida would beat Huerta. He was too, but got caught by that knee at the start of the 3rd. Dang it!

There was some pretty good action tonight. That War Machine/J-Rock fight was awesome. I still can't believe WM pulled it off.
Both fights were crazy! Guida had that fight in the bag.

Curly Bill
12/9/2007, 08:54 PM
I'd never seen Guida fight before but I was pulling for him...liked the wild-man thing he had going (looks and fighting style), that and the fact Huerta came off to me as sort of a cocky bastage.

Sooner_Bob
12/9/2007, 09:46 PM
Guida and Huerta was definitely an awesome fight. I really thought Guida had it in the bag.

I though Mac and Tommy would've been a better fight, but I think Tommy was overwhelmed by everything and his lack of experience showed.

I can't wait for Chuck and Wanderlei and Matt vs. GSP. in a couple of weeks.

critical_phil
12/10/2007, 12:08 AM
in case you missed my post in the other thread, Versus will be carrying a WEC live event on 12/12 @ 8 pm.

tbl
12/10/2007, 12:17 AM
That should be a good one too. Urijah the Hittitte is fighting and that dude is pretty awesome. Actually, that entire card is loaded, especially for the WEC.

critical_phil
12/10/2007, 12:22 AM
That should be a good one too. Urijah the Hittitte is fighting and that dude is pretty awesome. Actually, that entire card is loaded, especially for the WEC.

yep.

the DVR is already set.

tbl
12/10/2007, 12:25 AM
I gotta get Vs. Its not on my current package, but I'm seriously considering, just for the WEC.... plus I'd get History International and all the bonus Discovery channels. You can't have too much History or Discovery Channel.

tbl
12/17/2007, 02:20 PM
December is a loaded month. We already had the HDNET fight card last Saturday (Jason "Mayhem" Miller, Trigg, and others), the Guida/Huerta TUF finale, the WEC card (Faber, Pulver, and others) and there's still 2 more HDNET cards, including Fedor and the IFL finals... all that for free, and the UFC 79 card. What a way to close out the year!

Sooner_Bob
12/17/2007, 02:23 PM
Amen . . . I've got Saturday's event DVR'd and have watched about 3/4's of it. So far so good.

tbl
12/17/2007, 02:33 PM
Just wait till you see Millers entrance. I was pulling for Kennedy prior to the fight, but Millers entrance almost made me change my mind. Greatness...

Rhino
12/17/2007, 05:24 PM
Just wait till you see Millers entrance. I was pulling for Kennedy prior to the fight, but Millers entrance almost made me change my mind. Greatness... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OavTsvCSDYA

tbl
12/26/2007, 11:02 AM
The countdown begins. What could be the greatest card in UFC history will be here in 3 days. I'm pumped.

Picks for the main card:

Hughes - GSP
I'd like Hughes to win, but I can't help but think GSP is going to be too much for him to handle. Still, this should be a great fight. GSP by either TKO or decision.

Liddell - Silva
Silva sends Chuck into retirement with devastating fashion. 1st round knockout, via knees.

Machida - Sokoudjou
This one is tough, but I'm buying the hype for now. Soko by knockout, but he could get submitted. We'll see how the ground game is.

Clementi - Guillard
Guillard is too fast paced for Rich. If he doesn't knock Rich out, he might get submitted.

Palelei - Sanchez
Don't know much about either of these guys. I'm going with the new guy.

Sooner_Bob
12/26/2007, 11:40 AM
Mayhem's entrance was awesome . . . and the fight was just as good.

I'm torn with my picks for Saturdays fights.

My heart says Hughes and Liddell . . . I think Sokoudjou has the talent, but I'm going with Machida. If the right Guillard shows up Melvin could pull out the win. Same with Eddie Sanchez, but who knows.