PDA

View Full Version : SI.Com: AD should have won 2004 Heisman

kelloggOUballa
12/8/2007, 10:16 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/cory_mccartney/12/06/heisman.hindsight/2.html

Interesting article...

Winner: Matt Leinart, USC
Who Should Have Won: Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma

The age bias in the '03 voting came back to haunt voters in 2004. White probably would have won had he not taken the award the year before. But even if he had won, White still would have been the wrong Sooner. Peterson, a true freshman, was the nation's best player in '04. He ran for a freshman-record 1,925 yards and 15 touchdowns, but finished second to Leinart, who was the safe pick.

Stitch Face
12/8/2007, 11:06 PM
Takes a lot of intelligence/guts to say that now. :rolleyes:

GottaHavePride
12/8/2007, 11:23 PM
Pffff. He says Weinke should have won that year. Pffff.

brown town sooner
12/8/2007, 11:34 PM
Interesting article for sure. Weinke...a joke but I understand the logic. AD certainly should have gotten the Heisman and the only reason he didn't was because of the SoCal love affair with that cross eyed Leinert and the age bias.

tulsaoilerfan
12/9/2007, 12:28 AM
Interesting article for sure. Weinke...a joke but I understand the logic. AD certainly should have gotten the Heisman and the only reason he didn't was because of the SoCal love affair with that cross eyed Leinert and the age bias.
Where's the cross-eyed fat kid in the number 11 jersey pic when you need it? :D

sooner59
12/9/2007, 12:30 AM
I see no reason why he says Weinke should have won it. In hindsight, Heupel won the NC undefeated and showed up Weinke while he was at it. I still say ther Heisman should be handed out after the NC game.

LittleWingSooner
12/9/2007, 12:31 AM
Pffff. He says Weinke should have won that year. Pffff.

Looking at the stats and the year both of those guys had. The only reason Heupel should have won is because Heupel was on a better team. LT should have won the Heisman that year. He was really the best player. Weinke's numbers were better in almost every major area.

Crucifax Autumn
12/9/2007, 01:07 AM
Our guy oughtta win it every year!!!! :P

Stitch Face
12/9/2007, 01:13 AM
Pffff. The AARP says Weinke should have won that year. Pffff.

Fixed

Pvt Joker7
12/9/2007, 01:14 AM
AD should have won the Heisman 4 years in a row. Yes, 4.

soonerboomer93
12/9/2007, 01:26 AM
Sewart Mandel thinks TRRW should have won the Heisman in '01

Crucifax Autumn
12/9/2007, 01:33 AM
And Mandel is probably right!

yermom
12/9/2007, 07:30 AM
Crouch was a beast that year, just look how Nebraska tanked when he left...

if Heupel was healthy, i think he has a better chance to win. he could barely make and throws at the end of the year. at the time of voting, he wasn't as impressive statistically, and was an underdog to win the MNC

and i still think it was JW's Heisman to lose in 2004. the only reason Leinart won is because JW and AD stole votes from each other. it didn't help that Leinart TORCHED a crappy ND team by running up the score and somehow impressed people instead of looking classless

RedstickSooner
12/9/2007, 07:41 AM
The Heisman should be awarded in, say, February. Or, at the very least, two weeks after the final college game (after the National Championship game).

A lot of the Heisman voters are pretty stupid. Need to give them enough time to pull their heads out of their asses, and have a reasonable chance of getting their votes right.

yermom
12/9/2007, 07:47 AM
on one hand, i agree. i mean they have another game left. on the other hand, it's been done like this forever. if they change it now, it's going to be based a lot more on some player's performance in the last game and most likely be more biased to the the player on the best team vs. the best player in college football

arcman46
12/9/2007, 08:46 AM
There are two reasons Leinart won the Heisman in '04. The first was AD was a freshman, and we all know freshman don't win the Heisman; and the second was that ESPN and the media hyped Leinart all year, and it was the safe pick considering everone thought that USuC had gotten the shaft the year before.

MichiganSooner
12/9/2007, 11:41 AM
Need to pick after season is all over. Need to give it to the best player in college football not the best QB or running back. Not the best senior or junior or sophomore. Not the one who had the best overall career. The best player of the year.

Lott's Bandana
12/9/2007, 12:04 PM
Need to pick after season is all over.

Wouldn't have mattered much this year.

Last year? Heh.

Triumph
12/9/2007, 07:04 PM
I noticed in their comments J.White vs. Fitzgerald they brought up Jason's horrible game against kstate. What they didn't mention is that A) Pitt still sucked and B) Fitzgerald laid an egg in Pitts crappy bowl game that year.

yermom
12/9/2007, 07:14 PM
he was nowhere to be found in the Miami game that year as well

brown town sooner
12/9/2007, 09:15 PM
I'm not sure it should wait until the last game but there definitely needs to be a revamping of the voting. At the very least the voters ought to be held accountable and be made to explain their vote. After all...the kid that wins the Heisman basically is a millionaire for life regardless of whether or not they play a down in the NoFunLeague.

Stitch Face
12/9/2007, 09:50 PM
the kid that wins the Heisman basically is a millionaire for life regardless of whether or not they play a down in the NoFunLeague.

Why?