PDA

View Full Version : Make it stop!

Blitzkrieg
12/8/2007, 02:30 PM
http://64.131.67.10/vbbs/showthread.php?t=48432

Switzer and Stoops are very similiar to me. Both are considered great coaches because they won a lot of games. How they won games is another story. When it comes to honesty and integrity, you will find those two at the bottom of the pile. You can't argue their players weren't well coached or that they didn't have talent. However, I wouldn't want either one coaching at Nebraska. Ya, Stoops would win all kinds of games here, but his program is always on the edge of a major infraction. One day it will catch up to him and OU will drop off the map for 10 years again.

Switzer and Stoops take the short, easy road to success. TO and tradition take the long road to success. In all honesty, Stoops has brought back OU tradition which was the "Switzer tradition". I'm not sure thats the tradition you want to bring back.
Switzer and Stoops are very similiar to me. Both are considered great coaches because they won a lot of games. How they won games is another story. When it comes to honesty and integrity, you will find those two at the bottom of the pile. You can't argue their players weren't well coached or that they didn't have talent. However, I wouldn't want either one coaching at Nebraska. Ya, Stoops would win all kinds of games here, but his program is always on the edge of a major infraction. One day it will catch up to him and OU will drop off the map for 10 years again.

Switzer and Stoops take the short, easy road to success. TO and tradition take the long road to success. In all honesty, Stoops has brought back OU tradition which was the "Switzer tradition". I'm not sure thats the tradition you want to bring back.

OK, now NU wouldn't take Stoops as a coach? That state would literally sacrifice all first born sons on stone altars to have Stoops be their head coach. Second of all, does this idiot know that Bo Pelini, the beacon of integrity and all that is good in this universe was on our cheating, low life scumbag coaching staff as well?

As for Stoops taking the short, easy road to success, WTF are you talking about? Throwing Bomar off the team? After getting his arse raped like a prison snitch every November by Switzer, TO finally went with a collection of girlfriend beating, roid raging, prop 48 and partial qualifiers to stock his team with a win at all cost program. The fact he got pounded in big games for 15 years before this doesn't mean he built a program "the right way", it just means he could beat the Big 8 when it had another power in the conference. Switzers demise was the only reason Osborne has any trophies right now.

Collier11
12/8/2007, 02:41 PM
how come everyone nationally crucifies Switzer but Osborne gets a free pass. Didnt he allow his stud RB(phillips) to play in the natl title game after beating his GF? From all I can remember and have heard, Osborne let quite a bit go on over there in Nebbish city

fadada1
12/8/2007, 02:42 PM
stoops has kicked the problem children off his squad before they get felonies.

stoops is graduating more players than nebraska could hope to in the past 9 years.

i'm sure that nebraska would love to have 5 big12 championships in the past 8 years and 6 BCS bowl visits.

osborn definitely didn't run a clean program. nobody has ever deinied that barry didn't lie/cheat/steal. osborn and paterno always get lumped into the same category of class. i love joePA, bu don't think he hasn't done a couple sly things in his 120 years as coach at PSU.

eh, i'm babbling. crap like that makes me mad. everyone always thinks their program is run lilly-white like.

Big Red Ron
12/8/2007, 02:51 PM
http://64.131.67.10/vbbs/showthread.php?t=48432

That state would literally sacrifice all first born sons on stone altars to have Stoops be their head coach.

The fact he got pounded in big games for 15 years before this doesn't mean he built a program "the right way", it just means he could beat the Big 8 when it had another power in the conference.

Switzers demise was the only reason Osborne has any trophies right now.Spek and I'm going to spek the first born of your last three posts too.:D

nebsooner
12/8/2007, 02:59 PM
I have read on here that many of you think neb fans are "classy" you are wrong. They hate OU as much as OU hates texas maybe more. You meet a very small group of neb fans at games and such. I agree if Switzer would have coached a little longer TO would not have what he has.

AlbqSooner
12/8/2007, 04:29 PM
The standard operating procedure in Lincoln is that when a football player is arrested his initial appearance is set for something around January 15. Happened with Johnny Rogers when he was alleged to have robbed a gas station before his Heisman winning season. When that happens, the mantra, "We will let the legal system run its course before deciding our course of action" translates to "We need this kid on the football field so we will do nothing until after the season".

Osborne did it, and I suspect everyone at Nebbish has done it since. Perhaps not Callahan, he refused to take part in Nebraska athletics during his time in Lincoln.

Big Red Ron
12/8/2007, 04:42 PM
Those people are slowly turning into ut fans. Just wait till it's been 35 years between their last championship. They'll be in rubber rooms.

Blitzkrieg
12/8/2007, 05:24 PM
Callahan did it with Purify. I remember the ABC fluff piece on him before the USC game, and even he said "I was expecting to be suspended for more time."

Wow, remember when USc/NU was considered a possibly competitive game?

Leroy Lizard
12/8/2007, 07:19 PM
In truth, when OU played NU during the Switzer regime both teams were evenly matched, with NU being favored in many of them. OU won almost all of them. I think that is a testimony to Switzer's coaching.

I am not sure if Osborne could have amassed the teams he did if Switzer had stayed on, but we will never know. But Dr. Tom was an outstanding coach, no doubt. I also admire him personally, although I think he handled the Phillips situation badly. He may not be a good drinking buddy, but I certainly wouldn't mind having him as a neighbor (Dr. Tom, not Phillips).

AlabamaSooner
12/8/2007, 08:11 PM
OU > NU...no matter how you slice it.

SoonerFah
12/8/2007, 08:44 PM
I love how people are just willing to give Osborne a free pass. He's been caught lying through his teeth twice in the last year.

1. We'll wait and talk with the coaching staff at the end of the season before we decide their fate. BS! Callahan was toast when Osborne was hired as the AD, that was the whole reason behind it. If you don't believe it find that video of the good Dr., saying that whether or not the old Nebraska walk-on program would return would be up to the "new" coaching staff.

2. He actually claims Nebraska never recruited kids to keep them away from other programs. Let's just say Switzer has never denied such a thing, and if you think Nebraska could have kept up with the Sooners on the field without stockpiling talent in those days you probably still believe in the tooth fairy too! Yet again, BS!

I love seeing Tom next to Barry these days. For Switzer living life on the edge and being a party animal he looks 10 times better than ol Dr. Tom. Of course the Crypt Keeper looks better these days too.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/8/2007, 08:49 PM
In truth, when OU played NU during the Switzer regime both teams were evenly matched, with NU being favored in many of them. OU won almost all of them. I think that is a testimony to Switzer's coaching.

I am not sure if Osborne could have amassed the teams he did if Switzer had stayed on, but we will never know. But Dr. Tom was an outstanding coach, no doubt. I also admire him personally, although I think he handled the Phillips situation badly. He may not be a good drinking buddy, but I certainly wouldn't mind having him as a neighbor (Dr. Tom, not Phillips).How do you justify the unholy revenge beatings we took at the hands of Dr Tom in the '90's, when we were lead by the esteemed coach "Boo"?

Leroy Lizard
12/8/2007, 11:24 PM
How do you justify the unholy revenge beatings we took at the hands of Dr Tom in the '90's, when we were lead by the esteemed coach "Boo"?

Who cares? It's just football. I remember Switzer's teams pounding the living daylights out of teams too.

sooner n houston
12/8/2007, 11:36 PM
When you are kicking the whole confrences ***, they will look for any excuse to try to make your program look bad and theirs better! That is all this crap is.

JohnnyMack
12/9/2007, 12:07 AM
This person is a ****ing idiot and doesn't represent the NU fanbase as a whole. I hope. Or I will have to shiv Veritas.

Crucifax Autumn
12/9/2007, 01:25 AM
Osborne did it, and I suspect everyone at Nebbish has done it since. Perhaps not Callahan, he refused to take part in Nebraska athletics during his time in Lincoln.

That's hilarious...and deserves some green!

RedstickSooner
12/9/2007, 07:58 AM
Stoops is one of the cleanest coaches in all of 1-A.

The bugeaters have absolutely lost their damned minds.

It all started when they fired Solich, and honestly thought they'd be able to just plug some other dude in and go back to winning national championships.

These are the same fans that defended their team when one of their players threw a Rough/Nekk into a brick wall and sent him to a hospital.

Nebbish has gone from one of the classiest programs, with some great fans, to a bunch of delusional, spiteful, batshi-ite crazy mofos. I don't know whether they'll ever be able to get their reputation back, and as someone who takes dignity & sportsmanship seriously, I think that of the two, winning should be the least of their concern.

They need to become good people, first. And worry about winning, second.

Luckily for them, getting rid of Callahan is a good step on both tracks.

Big Red Ron
12/9/2007, 09:34 AM
It's easy to be classy when you are winning and half of your fans are over 60.

r5TPsooner
12/9/2007, 10:08 AM
Tom Osborne was one of the dirtiest players in the game. It wouldn't surprise me if he gave the steroids to his players personally. Don't even get me started on the rapists and woman beaters he kept on scholarship during his time and KNOWING about it.

Most NU fans are living in a bubble and nobody cares about there shiattay program anymore... kinda like Neuter Dame.

BTW, what bowl game is NU playing in this year? The STFU Bowl.

I fukking hate NU and there classless fan base!

PLaw
12/9/2007, 11:15 AM
stoops has kicked the problem children off his squad before they get felonies.

stoops is graduating more players than nebraska could hope to in the past 9 years.

i'm sure that nebraska would love to have 5 big12 championships in the past 8 years and 6 BCS bowl visits.

osborn definitely didn't run a clean program. nobody has ever deinied that barry didn't lie/cheat/steal. osborn and paterno always get lumped into the same category of class. i love joePA, bu don't think he hasn't done a couple sly things in his 120 years as coach at PSU.

eh, i'm babbling. crap like that makes me mad. everyone always thinks their program is run lilly-white like.

I'm liking this thread.:pop:

Things the Little Red never want to talk about:
#4) 190 lbs farm boys "growing" to 280-300 lbs at the training table.
#3) The envelopes players found in the lockers after games.
#2) The Greatness of Barry. Clearly, TO would not have acheived his level of success if Barry had coached into the 90's.
and for No. 1 . . .
The ORIGINAL, The REAL, The AUTHENTIC "BIG RED" resides in NORMAN, OKLAHOMA!

BOOMER SOONER

BOOMER

Big Red Ron
12/9/2007, 11:26 AM
I'm liking this thread.:pop:

Things the Little Red never want to talk about:
#4) 190 lbs farm boys "growing" to 280-300 lbs at the training table.
#3) The envelopes players found in the lockers after games.
#2) The Greatness of Barry. Clearly, TO would not have acheived his level of success if Barry had coached into the 90's.
and for No. 1 . . .
The ORIGINAL, The REAL, The AUTHENTIC "BIG RED" resides in NORMAN, OKLAHOMA!

BOOMER SOONER

BOOMER

[Billy Simms] BOOMER [Billy Simms]

poon4heisman2006
12/11/2007, 06:37 AM
Let's not forget about Christian Peter and his time at Nebbish during which he played a key role on the back to back MNC teams ....

While at Nebraska, Peter was arrested eight times for various offenses such as threatening to kill a parking attendant, trespassing, public urination, refusing to comply with police, illegal possession of alcohol, failure to appear in court, and grabbing a woman by the throat. He was convicted four times.

Most infamously, he raped Kathy Redmond, a freshman from Littleton, Colorado; two times in two days--the second with two of his teammates watching. Redmond didn't tell anyone about it until after her freshman year. Her father confronted an assistant coach about it, but Peter was never charged. This inaction led Redmond to file a Title IX suit against Nebraska in 1995; the suit was settled two years later for $50,000, as well as. Former coach Tom Osborne has since apologized to Redmond.

In 1993, Peter sexually assaulted Melissa DeMuth in his dorm room, and also groped Natalie Kuijvenhoven (a former Miss Nebraska) in a crowded bar and told her how she loved it in an obscenity-laced tirade. He was convicted and sentenced to 18 months probation, and was suspended for a 1993 exhibition game.

OUDoc
12/11/2007, 09:20 AM
Switzers demise was the only reason Osborne has any trophies right now.
Can't be stated enough times.

KingBarry
12/11/2007, 10:03 AM
Let's not forget about Christian Peter and his time at Nebbish during which he played a key role on the back to back MNC teams ....

While at Nebraska, Peter was arrested eight times for various offenses such as threatening to kill a parking attendant, trespassing, public urination, refusing to comply with police, illegal possession of alcohol, failure to appear in court, and grabbing a woman by the throat. He was convicted four times.

Most infamously, he raped Kathy Redmond, a freshman from Littleton, Colorado; two times in two days--the second with two of his teammates watching. Redmond didn't tell anyone about it until after her freshman year. Her father confronted an assistant coach about it, but Peter was never charged. This inaction led Redmond to file a Title IX suit against Nebraska in 1995; the suit was settled two years later for $50,000, as well as. Former coach Tom Osborne has since apologized to Redmond.

In 1993, Peter sexually assaulted Melissa DeMuth in his dorm room, and also groped Natalie Kuijvenhoven (a former Miss Nebraska) in a crowded bar and told her how she loved it in an obscenity-laced tirade. He was convicted and sentenced to 18 months probation, and was suspended for a 1993 exhibition game.

Wow. That's really bad. I hadn't heard any of that. How TO can keep his haloed reputation is beyond me.

And, as no one else has brought this up -- don't forget the player who SHOT SOMEONE at a convenience store, then gave the gun to TO to stash the evidence. Coach locked the pistol in his safe til the season was over. How TO managed to avoid obstruction of justice charges is also beyond me.

Then how he was elected to the Congress is just incomprehensible, at least until you look at some of the other folks elected there.

crawfish
12/11/2007, 10:12 AM
The guy is not too bright - he doesn't know what kind of glass house he lives in.

There are enough classy NU fans to make me forget him, though.

Civicus_Sooner
12/11/2007, 10:43 AM

In 1993, Peter sexually assaulted Melissa DeMuth in his dorm room, and also groped Natalie Kuijvenhoven (a former Miss Nebraska) in a crowded bar and told her how she loved it in an obscenity-laced tirade. He was convicted and sentenced to 18 months probation, and was suspended for a 1993 exhibition game.sounds like a roid rage type.

Texas Golfer
12/11/2007, 10:48 AM
They call themselves "The Big Red" but green is a more appropriate color for them. Envy and jealousy are what prompts Nebraska fans to attack Stoops.

Civicus_Sooner
12/11/2007, 10:52 AM
They call themselves "The Big Red" but green is a more appropriate color for them. Envy and jealousy are what prompts Nebraska fans to attack Stoops.And that is obviously setting aside for the moment that they started in with the we're "Big Red" too BS about 30 years after OU but whatever.:rolleyes:

Jason White's Third Knee
12/11/2007, 10:59 AM
And no one remembers Darren Delone smashing in to one of our Rufneks, knocking him cold and busting out his teeth? And I am sure that Merritt called Delone a donkey vag or something equally as vicious. Accident, my ***.

Callahan said he could not comment on the specifics of the incident because he did not see it.

"I feel really, really terrible for that young man who got hurt," he said.

OU police said they would have no comment until finishing their investigation, probably on Tuesday.

The Ruf/Neks are a tradition at Oklahoma. From their position in one of the end zones, the students shoot pop guns and heckle opposing teams. Callahan said it's a dangerous environment because of the proximity of the students to the opposing players.

"It's inevitable something is going to happen," Callahan said. "For game management or athletic administration to not recognize that, it's astounding to me."

Adam Merritt, a freshman member of the Ruf/Neks spirit group, testified in February that DeLone -- a 6-foot-5, 315-pound former offensive lineman -- slammed him into a brick wall at Memorial Stadium prior to Nebraska's football game against Oklahoma on Nov. 13. Merritt, 19, said he temporarily lost consciousness, lost one tooth and broke another in the collision

DeLone's defense attorney, Garvin Isaacs, suggested that the incident could have been accidental because the players were practicing at a high speed on grass dampened by the rain.

Callahan's response?
"It's in the hands of the authorities and legal system right now," Callahan said, "and we'll let it rest right there."

Jason White's Third Knee
12/11/2007, 11:04 AM

Someone does that to my little girl, they die.

... and roids don't make you a violent *******. You have to be a violent ******* first. You didn't see Rafael Palmero or Mark McGuire beating the crap out of people.

Blitzkrieg
12/11/2007, 11:35 AM
I really should look up and repost the old "Sam Keller chose NU over Ou" threads, but that would be immature.

http://64.131.67.10/vbbs//archive/index.php/t-40455.html

NYC Poke
12/11/2007, 11:45 AM
Someone once told me that Nebraska's storied "walk-on" program was notoriously corrupt and used to get around recruiting regs and scholarship limits. I don't remember the specifics. Obviously, I have no idea if this is true or not. I have done a couple of quick searches on the topic, but found nothing of relevance.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Blitzkrieg
12/11/2007, 12:08 PM
I had a buddy from Iowa, his nieghbor was a "redcoater" (I can't remember the name of the lame organization, but they wore stupid clothes to ID themselves) and he was told the first time to bring $100 bills, so he could give "handshakes" to the stars of the game afterward.

I'm not naive enough to single out anyone, but the self righteousness of some makes me laugh. Anywhere there is success, this will happen.

Leroy Lizard
12/12/2007, 12:21 AM
Callahan's response?
"It's in the hands of the authorities and legal system right now," Callahan said, "and we'll let it rest right there."

I thought you guys said that Callahan had no appreciation for Nebraska tradition.

Crucifax Autumn
12/12/2007, 12:37 AM
Once again...the Lizard comes through with the funniest line in the thread!

Coloradosker
12/12/2007, 12:40 AM
I'm not gonna argue any of the posts on here because it's pretty obvious that history speaks for itself, but seriously, to claim that any successful program in division 1 is completely clean is just foolishness. We all know what goes on in EVERY program. I don't think that Stoops runs a dirty program like Barry did, but I'm sure if an NCAA investigator looked close enough he could find plenty. Same at NU.

KantoSooner
12/12/2007, 01:17 AM
I'm not sure that is at all correct, but I appreciate your desire to end what has become simply a slanging contest.
Long run, coaches that let nut job players run rampant pay the price. Barry did, Tom did and, as we shall shortly see, our 'ethically challenged' friend, Petey of the oversized head, out at USC will as well. I'm thinking about T-minus six months and counting on his tenure.

Crucifax Autumn
12/12/2007, 01:21 AM
I certainly look forward to that happening Kanto!

soonerboomer93
12/12/2007, 03:09 AM
Once again...the Lizard comes through with the funniest line in the thread!

there's a reason I spek him back to green after he ****es all the n00bs off

crawfish
12/12/2007, 10:00 AM
I'm not gonna argue any of the posts on here because it's pretty obvious that history speaks for itself, but seriously, to claim that any successful program in division 1 is completely clean is just foolishness. We all know what goes on in EVERY program. I don't think that Stoops runs a dirty program like Barry did, but I'm sure if an NCAA investigator looked close enough he could find plenty. Same at NU.

That's true. The NCAA investigated NU in the 80's and found 110 infractions, many having to do with the improper distribution of tickets. More than three times what they nailed us for. Of course, NU got off scott free...

soonerinabilene
12/12/2007, 10:16 AM
and also groped Natalie Kuijvenhoven (a former Miss Nebraska)

So because they are the big red, they had to find someone with a communist last name?

Civicus_Sooner
12/12/2007, 10:22 AM
Barry Switzer's program was cleaner than Tom's.

There I said it.

r5TPsooner
12/12/2007, 10:30 AM
Hopefully more and more OU fans will realize that the NU fan base aren't as classy now as they were when they were stomping a mud hole in teams' *** week in and week out.

I seriously doubt that they will ever take over OU's rightful place as King Bitchslapper of the Big XII evar again.

Civicus_Sooner
12/12/2007, 10:41 AM
I seriously doubt that they will ever take over OU's rightful place as King Bitchslapper of the Big XII evar again.not a chance, they had a nice run.

picasso
12/12/2007, 01:26 PM
Nebraska owes their success from the 90's due to the fact of having to catch up with those great Switzer teams.
Nebbish was also a roid puppy powerhouse. They had 200 pound white boy receivers back in the day.

Animal Mother
12/12/2007, 02:16 PM
The Huskers were busted in the mid 80s (if I’m remembering correctly) for players found to have roids in their dorm room. Nothing ever came of that one either.
No coach can run a “clean program” because the NCAA has too many rules that should never have seen the light of day. One of the infractions on the King’s last watch was buying Billy Dykes a burger and a shake at Mickey D’s. We are supposed to believe anyone past the age of seven could be bribed with that pooch food? Yeah right!

Desert Sapper
12/12/2007, 05:31 PM
Anybody wondering why OU gets slammed harder for lesser infractions than any other team need look no further than NCAA v. Board of Regents of Oklahoma (1984). Look it up. We publicly embarrassed the National Communists Against Athletes and they never let us forget it.

The 'skers, along with all the other big-money schools (as in, those that bring big money to the NCAA and their affiliates) that don't 'fight the power' can get away with everything up to and including murder.

It may not be fair, but it's life. Thank God we have a coach in Stoops that dismisses players that break the rules and cooperates with every investigator that wants to pry. I'd like to see another coach that does the same.

Blitzkrieg
12/12/2007, 05:55 PM
When does our appeal get ruled on?

Blitzkrieg
12/12/2007, 05:56 PM
The Huskers were busted in the mid 80s (if I’m remembering correctly) for players found to have roids in their dorm room. Nothing ever came of that one either.
No coach can run a “clean program” because the NCAA has too many rules that should never have seen the light of day. One of the infractions on the King’s last watch was buying Billy Dykes a burger and a shake at Mickey D’s. We are supposed to believe anyone past the age of seven could be bribed with that pooch food? Yeah right!

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2005/07/02/top_story/doc42c5edb22fb2b128093591.txt

There was Nebraska football involvement.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/12/2007, 08:26 PM
Anybody wondering why OU gets slammed harder for lesser infractions than any other team need look no further than NCAA v. Board of Regents of Oklahoma (1984). Look it up. We publicly embarrassed the National Communists Against Athletes and they never let us forget it.

The 'skers, along with all the other big-money schools (as in, those that bring big money to the NCAA and their affiliates) that don't 'fight the power' can get away with everything up to and including murder.

It may not be fair, but it's life. Thank God we have a coach in Stoops that dismisses players that break the rules and cooperates with every investigator that wants to pry. I'd like to see another coach that does the same.MOST EXCELLENT POST!