note: SFA's PG is about 5'3 on stilts

stoops the eternal pimp
12/8/2007, 01:59 PM
9-8 SFA

Midget boy is wearing out Omar...

OU is turning the ball over a lot

SleestakSooner
12/8/2007, 02:07 PM
Guards keep trying to drive in and getting their shots blocked. Taylor playing well though.

OU 12
SFA 9

SleestakSooner
12/8/2007, 02:09 PM
SFA with another block and two buckets to go up 13-12, 6:11 left in first half

SleestakSooner
12/8/2007, 02:18 PM
Blake's shot blocked, no 3-point baskets made yet by OU.

1:48 left in half OU down 25-18

SleestakSooner
12/8/2007, 02:20 PM
Sooners only shooting 25% at home with 8 turnovers so far in first half :(

SleestakSooner
12/8/2007, 02:25 PM
L2 finally makes a shot and Leary misses another just before half

SFA 25
OU 20

SleestakSooner
12/8/2007, 02:27 PM
The only stat the Sooners are besting them in so far is rebounding and that is only by 2

SleestakSooner
12/8/2007, 02:31 PM
So far this is very embarrassing... I am watching the game via GameTracker, are we still wearing those grey unis?

SleestakSooner
12/8/2007, 02:37 PM
Taylor is leading OU with 7 points with his bro next highest with only 3, five other players with 2 each. The O in OU definately doesn't stand for offense.

SleestakSooner
12/8/2007, 02:44 PM
2nd half going now, L2 and Blake both scored but we still can't stop SFA

OU 24
SFA 29

SleestakSooner
12/8/2007, 02:45 PM
Blake with another layup and foul, he makes the free throw

OU 27
SFA 29

SleestakSooner
12/8/2007, 02:48 PM
Johnson and Leary both called for fouls back to back

Another bucket for SFA

OU down 2 after another L2 score 15:50 left

SleestakSooner
12/8/2007, 02:49 PM
still nothing from 3-point land... where the hell did Crocker go?

SleestakSooner
12/8/2007, 02:52 PM
Steven F'n Austin... I can't believe this crap!

Come on Sooners we need a nice run here!

Chuck Bao
12/8/2007, 03:21 PM
OU still down by 2, 46-44 with 5:44 to play.

What is happening here? At home? Against Stephen F. Austin?

Frozen Sooner
12/8/2007, 03:27 PM
We're boned.

Sigh.

Newbomb Turk
12/8/2007, 03:32 PM
What the Helsinki is going on?

Newbomb Turk
12/8/2007, 03:35 PM
:les: BRING BACK THE GREY JERSEYS!!!1!!

Newbomb Turk
12/8/2007, 03:36 PM
the six-million dollar men are hitting their ft's.
bad news.

AJ hits two of his own.
58-53
1:00

Newbomb Turk
12/8/2007, 03:40 PM
L2 with a follow bucket and is fouled.
misses the ft, but sfa tips the ball out of bounds.
60-55 sfa
timeout
OU ball

Newbomb Turk
12/8/2007, 03:41 PM
Crocker throws the ball away.
sfa ball.

Newbomb Turk
12/8/2007, 03:42 PM
AJ hits a little shot in the lane.
61-57
sfa ball
timeout

Newbomb Turk
12/8/2007, 03:45 PM
AJ hits an impossible bank 3.
62-60 sfa
sfa ball
timeout

Newbomb Turk
12/8/2007, 03:49 PM
sfa makes both ft's after being fouled.
64-60 sfa
17 secs

AJ turns the ball over in the lane driving to the bucket.
same score

sfa has a violation throwing the ball in bounds.
OU ball - down 4 - 8.7 seconds left.

SleestakSooner
12/8/2007, 03:51 PM
Wow NT you are faster than stinking GameTracker at giving me updates

Newbomb Turk
12/8/2007, 03:51 PM
L2 follows a crocker miss.
64-62 sfa.

foul with 2.4 seconds left
sfa dude makes both fts
66-62
ballgame

william_brasky
12/8/2007, 03:52 PM
unbelievable

Newbomb Turk
chicks are playing Tulsa next.

SleestakSooner
well ****

OUMonster
12/8/2007, 03:53 PM
I didn't get to see the game on TV. Did SFA just have better players?

Newbomb Turk
12/8/2007, 03:53 PM
unbelievable

I did my best to bring us back. I was late getting to the game thread...because I was outside ****ing around with Christmas lights. :mad:

SleestakSooner
12/8/2007, 03:54 PM
If it weren't for Longar in the second half this game would not have been close. I wish I could have watched this game, then again, maybe not.

william_brasky
12/8/2007, 03:54 PM
skill-wise, yes they had better players. athletically, no.

Newbomb Turk
12/8/2007, 03:55 PM
I didn't get to see the game on TV. Did SFA just have better players?

I only saw the last two minutes. We were the better team in that span.

;)

william_brasky
12/8/2007, 03:55 PM
I did my best to bring us back. I was late getting to the game thread...because I was outside ****ing around with Christmas lights. :mad:

completely your fault Newbomb.

Newbomb Turk
12/8/2007, 03:56 PM
completely your fault Newbomb.

:(

SleestakSooner
12/8/2007, 03:59 PM
Where the hell did those ugly grey uniforms go? Steven F'ing Austin????????

william_brasky
12/8/2007, 04:00 PM
:(

:D

Newbomb Turk
12/8/2007, 04:02 PM
Steven F'ing Austin????????

this post belongs in the "Jeff Capel? Jeff ****ing Capel?????" thread.

william_brasky
12/8/2007, 04:05 PM
I kinda feel like this guy (http://youtube.com/watch?v=35uslOyaTUg) after watching that game.

Ardmore_Sooner
12/8/2007, 04:07 PM
Worst game I might have ever watched in person before in my life. Our guards played horrendous. Longar played sub par and Blake was totally a non factor. It doesn't get much worse than this guys.

SleestakSooner
12/8/2007, 04:07 PM
Hell I think at this point I would rather be hazed and forced to streak across town wearing nada than attend a non-conference b-ball game at LNC. This makes me very sad. I used to love attending all the games there.

Someone on this team needs to step up and lead. I just don't see anyone with the gumption right now!

SleestakSooner
12/8/2007, 04:09 PM
I kinda feel like this guy (http://youtube.com/watch?v=35uslOyaTUg)after watching that game.

Better to be pist off than pist on :D

william_brasky
12/8/2007, 04:10 PM
As much as LL was frustrating me with his wild play, he was about the only guy out there showing any sort of aggression and passion.

You're right Sleestack, no leadership. That and no one who can hit an outside jumper.

tulsaoilerfan
12/8/2007, 04:15 PM
Wow, how do you lose to the Six Million Dollar man? Unbelievable

tommieharris91
12/8/2007, 04:52 PM
That was the ugliest, sloppiest game I've ever seen by the Sooners. We played to their level today, and they took advantage of it. I'm actually suprised L2 didn't foul out with 10:00 left in the game today. Blake played wild and became a non-factor. It seemed like the players were never on the same page in the offense. On top of that, SFA had stretches where they simply would throw the ball at the backboard and it would fall.

OUSKINS
12/8/2007, 04:57 PM
I was there... again.... one of the VERY few :)

We deserved to lose....and we did.

Capel was spot on in the post-game show. He basically said we played with no heart or passion early and got beat by a much more agressive, much hungrier team. He also made the point to say we were outcoached, which we were.

Most of the time, you can sleepwalk through these games and still win them. But every once in awhile, a solid team comes along and bites you. That's what happened today.

SFA made clutch three's, worked the clock, and made enough FT's down the stretch to ice it.

We played "hard" in the second half, but we never played well. Our guards were atrocious.

I understand that Cade Davis is pretty raw and he does seem to enjoy jacking up some wild shots the minute he touches the ball, but I think Capel has to find some time for him on the floor. I think he is probably the best pure shooter on the team-- and believe me, we need all of that we can get.

So far, I'm a tad disappointed in Blake. He has great physical gifts, but he seems a bit timid out there, which comes as a surprise to me. Not panicking at all about him, I still think he'll be very good for us, but his effort needs to be consistent.

Longar and Goldbold played very hard--the rest of the team was asleep.

All in all, it was frustrating, but not necessarily a devestating loss. Sometimes, these "wake up calls" can be beneficial, especially considering our three upcoming games.

Our shcedule is tough enough (including the Big 12) that if we do well, we should be in position to make the tourney and this loss won't hurt us much. But the tourney won't even be a consideration if we have many more performances like this.

Unfortunately for me, it's all about the men's team. I'l just be honest and say I have ZERO interest in women's basketball. I'd rather OU beat Arkansas next week than the women win the national title. I don't begrduge anyone that enjoys/supports them, but it's not my thing. So, there is no consolation for me.

Need to rebound against the Hogs next week.

usmc-sooner
12/8/2007, 05:15 PM
we've got guys who aren't afraid to shoot when they should be very afraid to shoot.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/8/2007, 05:24 PM
I m glad I had to leave now

tommieharris91
12/8/2007, 05:24 PM
Looking at SFA, it turns out that they are now 6-1 and starting a stretch of 5straight road games, and OU was easily the strongest of the teams on the stretch. The only team they have lost to is @Tceh. But the truth is, they're schedule is so weak that it is likely that their RPI will be in the 150 range even if they win 22 games this season. Really, any loss for SFA from here on will look bad, with the exception of UT-Arlington. The Sooners are the best team on SFA's schedule, and beating us will help their seeding if they win their conference tournament.

Ash
12/8/2007, 09:34 PM
Pokes struggling with their pre-finals cupcake. 57-56 East Tenn. State

King Crimson
12/8/2007, 11:23 PM
bad loss. no way to paint it other. anyone on the we are gonna win 10 games in conference and "should" be an NCAA tournament team take notice.

we are young, we shoot a lousy % from the floor and the line to boot.

Ash
12/8/2007, 11:42 PM
bad loss. no way to paint it other. anyone on the we are gonna win 10 games in conference and "should" be an NCAA tournament team take notice.

we are young, we shoot a lousy % from the floor and the line to boot.

No doubt.

One of the worst things I saw today was Blake's bad attitude. Hope it was just frustration with the game, but I thought I saw him wave off Capel. Not good.

Big Red Ron
12/9/2007, 12:05 AM
We need a PG, still.

GottaHavePride
12/9/2007, 02:01 AM
Well, we haven't really had a PG since Quannas White. Drew Lavender could have been, but he didn't stick around.

LittleWingSooner
12/9/2007, 02:23 AM
We have only had 2 really good PGs since Blaylock who was probably more a 2 at OU playing the point. Ontjes and White. But that really hasn't kept us from consistently having a winner. I think AJ is probably as good as any other point we've had outside of those 2. And Leary might be also. The problem is we don't really have a guard that can go to the basket and hit shots. Crocker has no half court game. It's gotten worse frankly. We don't really isolate our guards either. That's something our last 2 coaches perfected. Guard isolation was a key for Sampson and Tubbs teams. Even when we had guys that weren't any good at it they would try it play after play anyway.

Big Red Ron
12/9/2007, 10:36 AM
We lack team speed too. A serious PG and a quick two and this team could be good.

LittleWingSooner
12/9/2007, 11:26 AM
Disagree about team speed. But maybe we lack a point. Especially with the system we use and the fact that we don't try and go to our strengths. We lean way too heavily on our weaknesses. And it doesn't look like we are recruiting a point next year so we'll probably still have a lot of the same problems next year,

Big Red Ron
12/9/2007, 11:30 AM
Disagree about team speed. But maybe we lack a point. Especially with the system we use and the fact that we don't try and go to our strengths. We lean way too heavily on our weaknesses. And it doesn't look like we are recruiting a point next year so we'll probably still have a lot of the same problems next year,Nick, you're such an idiot.

Big Red Ron
12/9/2007, 11:34 AM
Are you going to try and convince me that Warren isn't a point guard?

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1619

King Crimson
12/9/2007, 11:40 AM
We have only had 2 really good PGs since Blaylock who was probably more a 2 at OU playing the point. Ontjes and White. But that really hasn't kept us from consistently having a winner. I think AJ is probably as good as any other point we've had outside of those 2. And Leary might be also. The problem is we don't really have a guard that can go to the basket and hit shots. Crocker has no half court game. It's gotten worse frankly. We don't really isolate our guards either. That's something our last 2 coaches perfected. Guard isolation was a key for Sampson and Tubbs teams. Even when we had guys that weren't any good at it they would try it play after play anyway.

michael johnson was pretty good and elevated some pretty average teams.

is it isolate guards or feed the scorer as your current general theory of OU basketball? can't really have it both ways. if you wanna disagree, i'm happy enough to go find that post where you say Kelvin's teams always fed the scorer....and now it's guard iso.

Big Red Ron
12/9/2007, 11:51 AM
Terrell Everet didn't do too shabby as a PG either. He's the best we had in about five years.

King Crimson
12/9/2007, 12:20 PM
Drew Lavender makes us a better team, no doubt. and Xavier should have been in the Final Four last year if Oden isn't "protected" on a cheap, dirty foul.

but, the way Jarrious Jackson scored at will over Drew in Norman in 04 was a thing to think about.

LittleWingSooner
12/9/2007, 01:58 PM
michael johnson was pretty good and elevated some pretty average teams.

is it isolate guards or feed the scorer as your current general theory of OU basketball? can't really have it both ways. if you wanna disagree, i'm happy enough to go find that post where you say Kelvin's teams always fed the scorer....and now it's guard iso.

Johnson was okay but not great. I could say the same for Everett, Lavender, Spaulding. I guess JR Raymond could have been a great one but he was kicked off.

What Kelvin did well is getting to your best players and using them over and over again. If it was a guard Kelvin would isolate them. If it was a McGee he would feed him. McGee developed a jumper which made it a lot easier to feed it to him. But he was also great at beating double teams. You have to adjust to your team. Not make your team adjust to your system. That's the biggest problem Capel has. We need to feed our big guys and isolate Crocker more.

LittleWingSooner
12/9/2007, 02:00 PM
Drew Lavender makes us a better team, no doubt. and Xavier should have been in the Final Four last year if Oden isn't "protected" on a cheap, dirty foul.

but, the way Jarrious Jackson scored at will over Drew in Norman in 04 was a thing to think about.

Drew gives us another shooter but he wasn't going to be consistent at the point.

derek430
12/9/2007, 02:38 PM
Well i wish that someone would try and drive to the basket, all are gaurds settle for jumpshots when none of them can shoot except maybe aj. Also Aj should never play pg he is a weak ballhandler, i think when leary isn't in then goldbold should be running the point. We also need to get the ball to Blake more at the start of the game we gave it to blake and he scored 3 straight times then for the rest of the half he never saw the ball again.

LittleWingSooner
12/9/2007, 02:46 PM
Blake was in foul trouble the first half.

derek430
12/10/2007, 04:56 PM
Blake was in foul trouble the first half.

sorry i was unaware of the foul trouble. Any way if you look at the usc game Blake never got the ball inside. Oklahoma is much bigger then usc but we still couldn't take advantage of it. Our team settled for jumpshots.

OUmillenium
12/12/2007, 11:24 PM
Wow, I thought it was a type-o but after scanning some posts I see that we really did lose a homegame to SFA. Unreal...

By the way, AJ is not much of a point guard. He can hit set shots against a weak perimeter D and is OK in transition but thats all he's got. Leary looks like a Kelvin Sampson recruit (meaning - we couldn't get someone better than this guy?).

Lotta youth on this team so as the season rolls and the guards get experience, we will be more solid.

What happened to Crocker? He's been lighting it up as of late?

Ash
12/12/2007, 11:33 PM
sorry i was unaware of the foul trouble. Any way if you look at the usc game Blake never got the ball inside. Oklahoma is much bigger then usc but we still couldn't take advantage of it. Our team settled for jumpshots.

Part of that has to do with the zone SUC was playing. They clogged the paint and took that away from us. If we would have started hitting some jumpers it would have loosened up the zone and allowed more to happen in the paint.

Ash
12/12/2007, 11:37 PM
Wow, I thought it was a type-o but after scanning some posts I see that we really did lose a homegame to SFA. Unreal...

By the way, AJ is not much of a point guard. He can hit set shots against a weak perimeter D and is OK in transition but thats all he's got. Leary looks like a Kelvin Sampson recruit (meaning - we couldn't get someone better than this guy?).

Lotta youth on this team so as the season rolls and the guards get experience, we will be more solid.

What happened to Crocker? He's been lighting it up as of late?

I see a lot of effort out of AJ, but he doesn't always make smart decisions with the ball.

OUmillenium
12/13/2007, 12:19 AM
Yeah, I don't fault any of our guys for effort. They are college kids not pros. And I am the first one to yell or get fired up when ANY of our guys makes a big play.

OUSKINS
12/13/2007, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I don't fault any of our guys for effort. They are college kids not pros. And I am the first one to yell or get fired up when ANY of our guys makes a big play.

You can fault them for effort when the effort isn't there. It wasn't there in the first half of that game. I am not a "booer"-- never have been and never will be, but the way the "kids" played in the first half definitely deserved some harsh words from Capel and company. Coach was clearly unhappy with their effort level last Saturday, and I believe he had every right to feel that way.

OUmillenium
12/14/2007, 02:33 PM
I missed the game but I'm guessing that lack of effort was the main reason we lost this game. That's usually the case when an upset occurs...lack of effort/focus.

Ardmore_Sooner
1/11/2008, 02:25 PM
Game isn't looking so bad now is it? I think this game was the turning point in not only the season but in Capel's career at OU. This will turn out to be on of the biggest blessings in disguise of the season.

SleestakSooner
1/11/2008, 02:30 PM
It looks much worse after they lost to Nicholls State last night, by one on the road, but still... I wish we had won that one. Blessing or not it may come back to bite us come time to set up the brackets.

LittleWingSooner
1/11/2008, 02:56 PM
Not much has changed. It was a bad loss to a bad team.

OUSKINS
1/11/2008, 03:25 PM
It looks much worse after they lost to Nicholls State last night, by one on the road, but still... I wish we had won that one. Blessing or not it may come back to bite us come time to set up the brackets.

Like Capel said, and what I believe Ardmore is echoing, is that w/o the loss to SFA, we probably don't get those other three wins-- and who knows if we get any of them? Things really changed after the SFA game.

SleestakSooner
1/11/2008, 09:04 PM
Like Capel said, and what I believe Ardmore is echoing, is that w/o the loss to SFA, we probably don't get those other three wins-- and who knows if we get any of them? Things really changed after the SFA game.

Don't misunderstand me, I said much the same thing after the Gonzaga game and I agree totally.

It is better to get losses to the Manhattan Jaspers of the world out of your system earlier rather than later.

I just wish it hadn't taken that kind of awful home loss to get the boys to play harder, that's all.