PDA

View Full Version : Pokes lookin for new coach...

OUsooner1
12/8/2007, 03:47 AM
Southern Miss close to deal with Oklahoma State's Fedora

Southern Mississippi was close to finalizing a contract to secure Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Larry Fedora as head coach, a source close to the situation said.

That source said it was "close" to official and that an announcement could be made as early as Saturday. Southern Miss is seeking to replace Jeff Bower, who resigned last month.

Fedora has had two interviews for the position. He is considered an offensive innovator and could bring the enthusiasm athletic director Richard Giannini seeks.

Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp and South Carolina defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix interviewed but have already withdrawn their names from consideration.

Joe Schad is a college football reporter for ESPN

Don't know much about Fedora except that he's a coordinator at OSpUke. Callahan to be new OC at osu?? haha :D That would make my day.

Crucifax Autumn
12/8/2007, 05:01 AM
Suck to suck to suck!

Flagstaffsooner
12/8/2007, 07:27 AM
That was the only good thing they had. Down they go further and futher into the bowels of losingness.

KingBarry
12/8/2007, 08:08 AM
That was the only good thing they had. Down they go further and futher into the bowels of losingness.

Their lives are filled even more with failure.

Flagstaffsooner
12/8/2007, 08:40 AM
Their lives are filled even more with failure.Me wonders if T Booger will drop more bucks down that toilet?

KHS Sooner
12/8/2007, 08:44 AM
I was looking at the top Offensive Coordinators from Rivals. He is in the top 50 or something.

SeattleOUstudent
12/8/2007, 09:12 AM
OSU is just a
http://www.permamulch.com/images/Gardener's%20Stepping%20Stone.jpg

douxpaysan
12/8/2007, 09:53 PM
Would you think Cale Gundy would be interested? More money, more responsibility, chance to work with your brother. Would OSU be interested in him, would they want more experience? hard to know...

Widescreen
12/8/2007, 09:58 PM
Good question. It would be a good opportunity but I wonder if he'd be willing to do that given the fact that it's OSU. I can kinda see it though.

OSUAggie
12/8/2007, 11:08 PM
OSU is just a
http://www.permamulch.com/images/Gardener's%20Stepping%20Stone.jpg

Because our offensive coordinator took a head coaching job at Southern Miss, a pretty consistent winner?

I guess it's not as good as moving on to the likes of San Diego State, but it's still a decent gig.

OKLA21FAN
12/8/2007, 11:24 PM
Because our offensive coordinator took a head coaching job at Southern Miss, a pretty consistent winner?

I guess it's not as good as moving on to the likes of San Diego State, but it's still a decent gig.
or KU or TTECH

next?

Widescreen
12/8/2007, 11:25 PM
So OSU isn't a stepping stone. Uh, OK.

OSUAggie
12/8/2007, 11:34 PM
So OSU isn't a stepping stone. Uh, OK.

I'm not saying it hasn't historically been a stepping stone; that reality is fairly obvious.

I think the hire was as big for the mindset of those making decisions in Stillwater as it was for anything else. We had an offensive coordinator turn down "lateral" moves to bigger programs ('Bama, LSU, etc.) to wait on a head coaching job at a solid mid-major.

This is the first evidence of high-paying multi-year contracts for assistant coaches at OSU acually working in the favor of both the program and the coach that I've seen, so to me it's a solid step forward.

I guess you can look at it how you want, but I think it's a good thing for OSU despite losing one of our best coaches. I hope we hire another defensive assistant and promote Gunter Brewer (WR coach) to OC, but we'll see what happens.

snp
12/9/2007, 12:19 AM
Wilson interviewed for USM as well. Wilson stays and Fedora leaves is pretty much a dream scenario.

Would you think Cale Gundy would be interested? More money, more responsibility, chance to work with your brother. Would OSU be interested in him, would they want more experience? hard to know...

Not a chance.

RedstickSooner
12/9/2007, 08:15 AM
Er, being a stepping-stone is usually a sign of a pretty good program.

We've been a stepping-stone for our share of head coaches since Stoops took over. Five so far, right?

Leach
Mike Stoops
Mangino
What's-his-face who went to, like, San Diego State
And, although his stop was brief, Pellini

batonrougesooner
12/9/2007, 09:44 AM

The head coach at OU would never leave to go coach at LSU.

The head coach at Boise State wouldn't ever turn down an offer from OU to go coach at Arizona State.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/9/2007, 11:12 AM
I'm not saying it hasn't historically been a stepping stone; that reality is fairly obvious.

I think the hire was as big for the mindset of those making decisions in Stillwater as it was for anything else. We had an offensive coordinator turn down "lateral" moves to bigger programs ('Bama, LSU, etc.) to wait on a head coaching job at a solid mid-major.

This is the first evidence of high-paying multi-year contracts for assistant coaches at OSU acually working in the favor of both the program and the coach that I've seen, so to me it's a solid step forward.

I guess you can look at it how you want, but I think it's a good thing for OSU despite losing one of our best coaches. I hope we hire another defensive assistant and promote Gunter Brewer (WR coach) to OC, but we'll see what happens.Why dontcha just become a Sooners fan. Your sportsfan life would be much happier.

MamaMia
12/9/2007, 11:27 AM
Would you think Cale Gundy would be interested? More money, more responsibility, chance to work with your brother. Would OSU be interested in him, would they want more experience? hard to know... Why on Gods green earth would Cale want to leave OU to coach that sorry excuse for a football team? Mike is on his way out. Would Cale really want to go down with this sinking ship of orange? I think not.

Stitch Face
12/9/2007, 11:38 AM

Agree that losing a coordinator to be head coach at a place like So Miss is a good sign for your program, but going from OC at OSU to OC at a place like LSU or Bama is still a step up, not "lateral."

Earickson
12/9/2007, 12:15 PM
Ha, that guy was named after a fancy hat.

Maybe he left because in Stillwater,

cowboy hat > Fedora

Got tired of players calling him "Coach Stetson" or "Coordinator Resistol"

OSUAggie
12/9/2007, 09:22 PM
Agree that losing a coordinator to be head coach at a place like So Miss is a good sign for your program, but going from OC at OSU to OC at a place like LSU or Bama is still a step up, not "lateral."

That's why it was in quotations.

Lateral in job description only.

mdklatt
12/9/2007, 09:56 PM
Er, being a stepping-stone is usually a sign of a pretty good program.

We've been a stepping-stone for our share of head coaches since Stoops took over. Five so far, right?

Leach
Mike Stoops
Mangino
What's-his-face who went to, like, San Diego State
And, although his stop was brief, Pellini

We're not a stepping stone, we're a factory. :cool:

If your assistant coaches are moving up the ladder with you or with somebody else it means they're doing something right. Otherwise they're Greg Davis. If your coaches are consistently moving to the same position at another school, then you're a stepping stone.

Outopia
12/9/2007, 11:03 PM

Ahh yes, the aggie myth that they have been a stepping stone for Head coaches. In my life time, going back to Jim (belch) Stanley, out of all of your coaches and there have been many, only two(2) have left for better jobs (Jimmy Johnson and Lester). The rest have been fired. Now they have Gumby, because they think they have been a stepping stone job. I don't get it, two(2) guys in 35 years, and they hire Gumby because he won't leave (and who would want him?). Thus the aggie myth, about OSU being a stepping stone job. With over twenty years between coaches leaving for better jobs, that hardly rates a fear of losing coaches to better programs. It sounds like a place to go to kill your chances at a better job. The coaches grave-yard. Isn't Fedora the only asst coach that left for a Head coaching job from OSU (he's not gone yet), or am I missing another one? If there was one, it would have been at some pud school (like So. Miss).