PDA

View Full Version : Why is Washington still on the 2008 schedule?

oupride
12/7/2007, 09:21 AM
Does any body know? I thought they had been or were going to be removed from the schedule? The Pac 10 has continued to show their incompetence in officiating and has lost credibility with everyone.

WA. Sooner
12/7/2007, 11:17 AM
I hope we go there. I live in Washington and want to see the sooners

colleyvillesooner
12/7/2007, 11:19 AM
I used to live there and want to go back for vacation to take the Wife. Sooners playing is the sweet bonus. THAT is why we're still playing. :D

RacerX
12/7/2007, 11:23 AM
Does any body know? I thought they had been or were going to be removed from the schedule? The Pac 10 has continued to show their incompetence in officiating and has lost credibility with everyone.

How does that compare with Big 12 officiating?

OUmillenium
12/7/2007, 11:27 AM
Big 12 officials may be the most incompetant in the land...but at least they are not biased.

Part of the problem is that they are not smart enough to be biased.

Ignorance is bliss for them, but torture for us.

Widescreen
12/7/2007, 11:36 AM
Big 12 officials may be the most incompetant in the land...but at least they are not biased.
Heh.

The Maestro
12/7/2007, 11:37 AM
Beat the hell out of them and it doesn't come down to officiating. They have no defense so it shouldn't be a problem.

sozo
12/7/2007, 11:41 AM
Beat the hell out of them and it doesn't come down to officiating. They have no defense so it shouldn't be a problem.
I agree,officiating will NOT be a problem in this match-up!

Curly Bill
12/7/2007, 12:08 PM

Apparently you didn't read the conspiracy threads started after the TT loss. There are dozens of posters on here that are convinced there was a conspiracy against us, and furthermore are convinced that those of us that can't see that are idiots. :D

sooner94
12/7/2007, 12:20 PM
I think having a Big 12 commissioner that actually has some balls will help. I was impressed with the new guy when he was in the booth during the Big 12 championship game.

I have a feeling he will be having some conversations with the Pac 10 commissioner prior to the Washington game.

Scott D
12/7/2007, 12:28 PM
I doubt Tom Hansen will care what Beebe has to say about anything. He'd just suspend a ref for a game. Hell he does it for conference games where their refs do a crappy job. Like this.

Replay officials receive rebuke
The Pac-10 says the crew in the booth was looking at a key play and should have asked to halt Saturday's OSU game

Tuesday, November 13, 2007
PAUL BUKER
The Oregonian Staff

The Pacific-10 Conference has reprimanded the instant replay crew that botched a key call in Saturday night's Oregon State-Washington game, which was marred by an injury to Washington quarterback Jake Locker and fighting.

In a statement released Monday, commissioner Tom Hansen also said no additional penalties will be assessed against the four players kicked out of the game, which was won by the Beavers 29-23, but NCAA playing rules require that each of the players misses half of the next game.

For OSU, that means starting right cornerback Brandon Hughes, starting safety Bryan Payton and special teams player James Dockery will not play in the first half of the Beavers' game Saturday against Washington State. The Washington player ejected was left guard Ryan Tolar.

The Beavers' loudest complaint after the game involved tailback Yvenson Bernard's fumble in the last three minutes.

Bernard was stretching for a touchdown near the goal line when the ball came loose -- after he was clearly down. Replay on the Reser Stadium video board clearly showed Bernard was down before he lost the ball, but officials did not review the play.

OSU coach Mike Riley said it was either a touchdown, or OSU's ball on the 1-yard line.

Instead, it was ruled a fumble, and Huskies cornerback Roy Lewis picked up the ball and attempted to score.

There was no call from replay officials to review the play, and Washington nearly came back to win the game as a result.

"It was a (potential) season-changing play," Riley said. "I have nightmares about that."

Hansen agreed.

"We do believe the instant replay officials did not perform properly on the Bernard fumble play," Hansen said in the release.

"There was human error, in that while reviewing the available replays, the crew failed to notify the game officials to stop play before the ball was snapped for the next play. . . . It was not the fault of the equipment. The game should have been stopped and the play reviewed. The members of the (replay) crew have been reprimanded."

Pac-10 officials spent three hours going over the bizarre series of events.

Hansen said the review of the game tape was done by himself, coordinator of football officiating Dave Cutaia, director of instant replay Verle Sorgen and football administrator Jim Muldoon.

Sorgen was asked, during a phone conversation after the decision Monday, if the review judge would be benched for the rest of the season.

"It wasn't that egregious," Sorgen said. "Unless you are an Oregon State fan."

There was no action taken on the helmet-to-helmet hit by OSU safety Al Afalava that sent Locker to the hospital.

"We believe the helmet-to-helmet contact on the hit on Locker was inadvertent," Hansen said in the statement.

The officiating crew led by referee Larry Farina was criticized by coaches for not having control of the game, but Hansen noted, "We found that the (officials) made earnest attempts to control the conduct of the players. Eight personal fouls were called and four players ejected during the game. We did not find any act which was not addressed by the officials which warranted additional action by the conference."

Hansen said there wasn't enough evidence to suggest Bernard was being punched in the face by Huskies defensive tackle Wilson Afoa during a second-quarter pileup. Beavers coach Mike Riley saw it differently.

"That situation was not handled well," Riley said. "I saw his helmet ripped off, and somebody was punching him in the face."

Hansen said the rough-and-tumble game, "was not a game representative of the best of Pac-10 football."

Hansen said it is the only Pac-10 game this season with player ejections.

Riley thought Hughes was being unfairly punished because, according to Riley, "he was a (peacemaker). He never threw a punch. But you know what? It is what it is . . . we retaliated. We could have had better self-control."

Riley said the lack of self-control on the field "has been dealt with" within the team and he didn't want to discuss it further.

"We've got to get ready for the Cougars," said Riley of Saturday's game in Pullman, Wash.

Paul Buker: 503-221-8167; [email protected]

Suerreal
12/7/2007, 12:31 PM
Or will Pac-10 agree to bring in non-Pac10 officials for that game? That was the sticking point - the Pac10's arrogance in refusing to bring in "neutral" officials for non-conference games hosted by Pac10 schools, which is done by all of the other BCS conferences.

astro5169
12/7/2007, 12:33 PM
Where is next years schedule at?

soonersports used to have it?????

soonerboy_odanorth
12/7/2007, 12:52 PM
Where is next years schedule at?

soonersports used to have it?????

Linka-dinka-do:

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=2008

RedstickSooner
12/7/2007, 01:30 PM
I'm going to go out on a very small limb here -- and I doubt anyone will agree with me. That being said, I think our officials do have a bias, albeit a sleight one: In games where the hopes of a Big-12 championship team are at risk, they will tend to favor the potential champion.

Doing so helps the conference. This doesn't make such a bias okay, but it does make it understandable.

I've never seen them cheat to help the conference against OOC foes, however.

The Pac-10 refs are absolute, shameless crooks.

Salt City Sooner
12/7/2007, 02:10 PM
Or will Pac-10 agree to bring in non-Pac10 officials for that game? That was the sticking point - the Pac10's arrogance in refusing to bring in "neutral" officials for non-conference games hosted by Pac10 schools, which is done by all of the other BCS conferences.
No. That was voted on & they decided to keep the current policy in place.

sendbaht
12/7/2007, 02:58 PM
I hope it stays. Wife and I went up to Oregon for the OU game and were planing on going to the Washington Game also.

1890MilesToNorman
12/7/2007, 03:19 PM
Linka-dinka-do:

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=2008

Some nice big named schools beginning in 2010, Florida St, Notre Dame, Ohio St and LSU. Who knows who will be good those years but we can't be accused of a puff non-conference schedule.

Cincinnati ain't no slouch these days either, 08 and 09!

Boomer Sooner

Ardmore_Sooner
12/7/2007, 03:23 PM
I doubt Tom Hansen will care what Beebe has to say about anything. He'd just suspend a ref for a game. Hell he does it for conference games where their refs do a crappy job. Like this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-O1QGjGFYlg