PDA

View Full Version : USC 2004 National Title?

oudivesherpa
12/7/2007, 07:43 AM
Old news--New Format--According to Yahoo.com a new book to be relased in January 2008 will detail the financial dealings of Reggie Bush and put USC 2004National Title in Jeapordy. Maybe we will get another "Bama National Title?"

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ys-bushbook120607&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Sooner in Tampa
12/7/2007, 08:24 AM
Old news--New Format--According to Yahoo.com a new book to be relased in January 2008 will detail the financial dealings of Reggie Bush and put USC 2004National Title in Jeapordy. Maybe we will get another "Bama National Title?"

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ys-bushbook120607&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Yeah...this going to end well :rolleyes:

Widescreen
12/7/2007, 09:41 AM
55-19. Yeah, bring on that trophy!

OKLA21FAN
12/7/2007, 09:43 AM
has anyone notified the People's Championship about this revelation yet?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/7/2007, 09:55 AM

Screw the trophy. I just want to get the t-shirt! :D

What is a forfeit anyway? 2-0?

OU 2 USC 0

OU 2004 National Champs!

Now if we can just get that Ashlee Simpson halftime performance wiped from the record.

Charla
12/7/2007, 10:00 AM
If we didn't win it I don't want it !!!!!!!!

SOONER STEAKER
12/7/2007, 10:10 AM
[QUOTE=Now if we can just get that Ashlee Simpson halftime performance wiped from the record.[/QUOTE]

A nice costume malfunction with Ashlee would have been great. :P

Shneeg11
12/7/2007, 10:13 AM
I sincerely hope all of you are joking...... The teams we beat in '05 still have L's on their record....USC won't have to "forfeit" any games. If any thing happens like that, they will vacate their wins, and we will still have a Loss for that game.

tbl
12/7/2007, 11:02 AM
I'm not sure what game you guys are talking about or how this affects Sooner fans. From what I remember, USC won the PAC10 and were proclaimed National Champions. Auburn got upset about it, but I'm not seeing the connection with OU.

In conjunction with this, Reggie Bush may lose his Heisman too. :D

fadada1
12/7/2007, 11:03 AM
it might be a little sour grapes, but i hope they get the hammer. we don't deserve the nat'l championship, but either does usc.

batonrougesooner
12/7/2007, 11:05 AM
Looks like Vince Young may get his Heisman.:texan:

sooner59
12/7/2007, 11:12 AM
Looks like nobody is going to get the Heisman. As much as Vince deserved it, if its taken from Bush, nobody will get it.

Curly Bill
12/7/2007, 11:50 AM
I will personally take the Heisman and the NC trophy and claim them as my very own. :P

Desert Sapper
12/7/2007, 11:55 AM
Vacated champeenships don't go to anyone, if I'm not mistaken (which I've been known to be from time to time).

Curly Bill
12/7/2007, 12:01 PM
Vacated champeenships don't go to anyone, if I'm not mistaken (which I've been known to be from time to time).

Well, they gotta do something with the trophy...and I'm willing to give it a home if no one else wants it. :D

If I don't take it you know that those peeps from Bama will claim it. ;)

Jason White's Third Knee
12/7/2007, 12:05 PM

I have no idea what you are referring to.

I will assume that those numbers are just a random post.

fadada1
12/7/2007, 12:06 PM
are you refering to auburn peeps? or bama peeps?

lord knows that bama will claim it if you let them.

fadada1
12/7/2007, 12:08 PM
I have no idea what you are referring to.

I will assume that those numbers are just a random post.
seriously.

Curly Bill
12/7/2007, 12:10 PM
are you refering to auburn peeps? or bama peeps?

lord knows that bama will claim it if you let them.

I'm refering to the Bama peeps. Auburn peeps might actually have a legit claim.

Desert Sapper
12/7/2007, 12:29 PM
Well, they gotta do something with the trophy...and I'm willing to give it a home if no one else wants it. :D

They can put it in the CFB Hall of Fame, but then ND might try to claim it, given that the HOF is in South Bend (proximity rules and all).

Curly Bill
12/7/2007, 12:33 PM
They can put it in the CFB Hall of Fame, but then ND might try to claim it, given that the HOF is in South Bend (proximity rules and all).

Exactly...so you see why they should just give it to me then...right? :D

CincySooner
12/7/2007, 12:39 PM
due out in 2008 eh? almost exactly the 4-year statute of limitations that the NCAA has... <sigh>

MextheBulldog
12/7/2007, 12:40 PM
Who has the avatar with the guy beating a dead horse? <sigh>

Desert Sapper
12/7/2007, 12:44 PM
Exactly...so you see why they should just give it to me then...right? :D

I think they should give it to Allbarn. What else does Alabama Aggie have going for it? Other than maybe the proximity to Fort Benning, GA, home of the Infantry. Hooah. :rolleyes:

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/7/2007, 01:07 PM
I say Curly Bill gets to keep the Crystal Football and I'll hold on to the Heisman.

I also suggest a plus one game. How about we play Auburn on Jan 19th for the 2004 NC. That should settle things, right?

RedstickSooner
12/7/2007, 01:32 PM
Screw vacated championships.

I want to see scholarship penalties, and lots of 'em.

Desert Sapper
12/7/2007, 01:38 PM
I say Curly Bill gets to keep the Crystal Football and I'll hold on to the Heisman.

I also suggest a plus one game. How about we play Auburn on Jan 19th for the 2004 NC. That should settle things, right?

I'm all for it. :D

jwlynn64
12/7/2007, 01:43 PM

More appropriately, it should be put into the Hall of Shame!

Dan Thompson
12/7/2007, 02:21 PM
I have a spot in the living room for the trophy where all my USC friends can see it when they come over.

If I get it I then will put all my resources into getting OJ's Heisman trophy and I can put both trophies together.

Curly Bill
12/7/2007, 03:07 PM

I agree!!! :D

The VIIIth
12/7/2007, 03:14 PM
Bush hit with book

By Jason Cole and Charles Robinson (from Yahoo! Sports)
December 6, 2007

Nearly two years after Reggie Bush won the Heisman Trophy, a book detailing improper benefits he allegedly received while playing for the University of Southern California and his relationship with the financiers of a fledgling sports marketing company could further damage his chances of keeping the most prestigious award in college sports.

The book, "Tarnished Heisman" by Don Yaeger and Jim Henry, published by Simon & Schuster, will include transcripts of recorded conversations that contain Bush acknowledging he owed money to the financiers of New Era Sports & Entertainment. Lloyd Lake and Michael Michaels of New Era planned to feature Bush as their marquee client to launch their marketing agency. The business failed after Bush sought representation elsewhere.

The book will be released in mid-January.

Meanwhile, the NCAA interviewed three people this week who claim knowledge of the approximately $300,000 in cash and other benefits allegedly given to Bush by Lake and Michaels. The benefits included Bush's family living rent-free in a new home in a San Diego suburb for one year. Bush also allegedly received money for a car, spending money and had hotel stays paid for. Other allegations include furniture being purchased for the Bush family, travel expenses paid and free dinners provided.

Barbara Gunner and Lisa Lake met with the NCAA on Tuesday and the organization met with Lemuel Campbell on Wednesday. Gunner is the mother of Lloyd Lake. Lisa Lake is Lloyd Lake's sister. Campbell is Lisa Lake's ex-husband, who was expected to be an officer in New Era.

Gunner and Lisa Lake spoke to the NCAA about how they helped Lloyd Lake by lending him money to get New Era started. They also discussed their encounters with Bush and his family, including stepfather LaMar Griffin and mother Denise Griffin.

In November, the NCAA interviewed Lloyd Lake, listening to a portion of the recordings he made of conversations between himself, Bush and LaMar Griffin.

Yahoo! Sports, which in April 2006 broke the story of Bush receiving benefits, has also heard a portion of the recorded conversations.

Yaeger is a former writer and editor for Sports Illustrated who has written 14 books. Henry is a sportswriting veteran of more than 20 years with The St. Petersburg Times, The Tampa Tribune and The Tallahassee Democrat.

Beyond the transcripts of the recorded conversations, the book will include extensive interviews with Lloyd Lake, Gunner, Lisa Lake and others.

Yaeger said he believes the book could prove significant in pushing forward the NCAA investigation and ultimately lead to Bush losing the Heisman. No player has ever been stripped of the award. The Heisman Trust would decide Bush's fate. This year's Heisman will be presented Saturday in New York.

"My belief is that Heisman voters will have another decision to make in the near future," Yaeger said.

Henry said after he listened to the recorded conversations and examined documents, he was convinced Bush and his family received the improper benefits.

"At the end of the day I asked myself did I believe Lloyd Lake and his family. The answer was yes," Henry said.

Lloyd Lake filed suit against Bush in San Diego County Court in October, alleging Bush, his stepfather and mother promised to repay money that was advanced to them.

According to sources and documents obtained by Yahoo! Sports, Bush agreed to join New Era in exchange for the benefits and partial ownership of the company. But he reneged on that agreement and then never repaid what he was advanced, sources said. Bush reached a settlement with Michaels in March 2007, paying Michaels between $200,000 and $300,000.

In the book, Lloyd Lake discusses how he first met Bush when the running back was a star at Helix High in San Diego. They maintained a relationship over the years and allegedly agreed late in 2004 to start the sports marketing company.

Their relationship would coincide with the end of the 2004 season, when USC went undefeated and won the national championship against Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl. Thus, the investigation could jeopardize the Trojans' title.

It could also impact victories from the 2005 season, when Bush helped USC return to the national championship game, which the Trojans lost to Texas.

soonerboomer93
12/7/2007, 07:15 PM
I have a spot in the living room for the trophy where all my USC friends can see it when they come over.

If I get it I then will put all my resources into getting OJ's Heisman trophy and I can put both trophies together.

Um, i thought OJ's Heisman was melted down. I know there was an offer to do so.

PLaw
12/7/2007, 08:20 PM
Any championship or games played with RB should be vacated. Certainly, don't deserve that 04 championship - it would be an embarrassment to repaint the scoreboard with that one.

It's the most embarrassing loss in my 47 years of following Sooner football. Worse than the 70+ Nebbish hung on us during Boo's tenure, worse than getting blind sided by Lou and the hogs, and worse than the KU whipping in 75.

BOOMER

madillsoonerfan5353
12/7/2007, 08:25 PM
If we didn't win it I don't want it !!!!!!!!

I second that!!!!
:mad: :mad:

kelloggOUballa
12/7/2007, 08:35 PM
without Reggie Bush, they would have been weaker. We would have won.

KHS Sooner
12/7/2007, 08:37 PM
Even though I don't want the title, the University would most likely take it. You can't stop them from putting it in the record books, can you?

mdklatt
12/7/2007, 10:35 PM
without Reggie Bush, they would have been weaker. We would have won.

Didn't they beat us by six touchdowns? How many of those did Bush score? I know that's a simplistic analysis, but Bush or no Bush that just was not our night. Take away the MNC from them if you want, but I sure don't want it.

sooner59
12/7/2007, 10:40 PM
It was Leinart and WRs that beat us (and their defense). Bush wasnt the main culprit.

Flying Scotsman
12/7/2007, 11:03 PM
We had a very bad hair day and it never got better that day....

SCOUT
12/8/2007, 12:52 AM
Didn't they beat us by six touchdowns? How many of those did Bush score? I know that's a simplistic analysis, but Bush or no Bush that just was not our night. Take away the MNC from them if you want, but I sure don't want it.
True of course, but the game plan is a bit different if the Heisman winner isn't in the backfield.

With that said, I don't want a championship we didn't earn. We earn them at an alarming rate when compared do most D1 schools. It won't be long (2008) until our next championship trophy makes its way to the Switzer Center.

goingoneight
12/8/2007, 01:26 AM
At the time, he wasn't the Heisman winnar. He was similar to D-Mu for us at that time. A multi-purpose athlete, listed as a RB, sharing carries with about three guys.

If you take DeMarco Murray away from us, yeah... it changes OUr gameplan, but it doesn't put us on self-destruct.

SUC pwn3d us in every phase that night. Four years those seniors played for us, six for White and they all had their "bad day" on that night.

oudivesherpa
12/13/2007, 08:39 PM
I'm refering to the Bama peeps. Auburn peeps might actually have a legit claim.

I'm refering to Bama--the whole point of this point is that Bama will claim a National Title, even if it was in goober shucking.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/14/2007, 12:10 PM
It's funny that these two dudes writing this book can get these documents where Reggie admitted to taking illegal benefits, but the NCAA can't. The NCAA "investigation" is a sham.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/14/2007, 12:15 PM
OK, I just read farther down and saw the NCAA actually interviewed some people. I'm still really skeptical about anything coming down on USC. After coming down on OU for self-reporting and cooperating, we'll see just how hypocritical the NCAA is.

Desert Sapper
12/14/2007, 01:09 PM
At the time, he wasn't the Heisman winnar. He was similar to D-Mu for us at that time. A multi-purpose athlete, listed as a RB, sharing carries with about three guys.

If you take DeMarco Murray away from us, yeah... it changes OUr gameplan, but it doesn't put us on self-destruct.

SUC pwn3d us in every phase that night. Four years those seniors played for us, six for White and they all had their "bad day" on that night.

But not having to guard him (which seemed like our main plan on D), would have allowed us to focus on containing Leinart, which is what we should have been doing in the first place.

I agree with the pwnage, but you've got to admit that his mere presence forced us to gameplan for him. And we all know the GOWWDNS was all Mark Bradley's fault.;)

jr4ou
12/14/2007, 08:51 PM
OK, I just read farther down and saw the NCAA actually interviewed some people. I'm still really skeptical about anything coming down on USC. After coming down on OU for self-reporting and cooperating, we'll see just how hypocritical the NCAA is.
I agree.