PDA

View Full Version : Wichita Grand Opera

GottaHavePride
12/7/2007, 12:20 AM
OK, here’s the dealie yo:

Some of you have expressed interest in seeing a show at the Opera in Wichita. Now, under most circumstances I would not post stuff like this on the board (I’d feel like a spammer since I work for the Opera) but there are extenuatin’ circumstances.

Last season set attendance record for the WGO. This season we’re barely into December (the season runs ‘till July 4 this year) and we’ve already topped last year’s sales. That means seats are going fast and we’re looking at selling out several performances later in the year. If y’all really want tickets you had better get them soon, unless you want to sit in the back corner next to Hairy. So:

If you want tickets, call 316-262-8054 or go to http://www.wichitagrandopera.org/

(http://www.wichitagrandopera.org/)
To save you some time I’ll run down the remaining season.

La Boheme: Sunday, February 3, 3:00 pm

Probably the most popular opera ever written. It inspired Moulin Rouge and RENT. Easy story: boy meets girl, they fall in love, she dies of an incurable disease. The star of the show is Marcello Giordani, who is THE man right now. We had to steal him away from The Met – two weeks after he sings here The Met is broadcasting him live in HD all across the U.S., Europe, and Japan. The only place in the U.S. he’s singing that isn’t The Met is Wichita. His co-star is Kallen Esperian, one of America’s most famous sopranos and as far as I know, she’s the ONLY soprano to have starred opposite all Three Tenors. Yes, I know the show is on Superbowl Sunday. This opera is two hours flat, so you’ll be out in time for the game. (Besides, it’ll probably be a crappy matchup anyway.)

Giselle: Thursday, February 21, 7:00 pm

This is probably the most famous ballet not written by some guy named Tchaikovsky. It will be performed by the St. Petersburg Ballet, one of Russia’s three greatest ballet companies. You won’t find better ballet in this part of the country.

Faust: Saturday, March 29, 7:00 pm

Samuel Ramey is the most recorded operatic bass in the history of history, and he’s a native of Colby, KS. His most famous role is The Devil in this opera, and he’s coming home to sing the role. Oh, and it’s his birthday, too. His costars, Hector Sandoval and Svetla Vassileva, are BIG names in Europe. Faust (Sandoval) sells his soul to Mephistopheles (Ramey) to get a cute girl (Vassileva). Faust gets the girl, knocks her up, abandons her, and then kills her brother who just came home from the war. She goes mad, murders the illegitimate child, and is sentenced to death, but is redeemed just before she dies. Faust is condemned to hell. Pretty wild opera – this will be the toughest ticket to get if you wait too long.

Sleeping Beauty: Sunday, March 30, 3:00 pm

If you don’t know the story, well, Michael Eisner is weeping somewhere. The Russian National Ballet is coming all the way from Moscow and bringing an orchestra with them. Bonus: it’s back-to-back with Faust, so you can make a whole weekend of it.

The Pirates of Penzance: May 30, 31, and June 1

This one is a comedy AND it’s in English. The plot is too preposterous for me to summarize in two sentences, but you’ll have a good laugh.

KABOOKIE
12/7/2007, 12:32 AM
And two tickets to Lah Bow Heem?

La Boheme. It's an Opera.

proud gonzo
12/7/2007, 12:47 AM
IN! at least for one show. i'm not sure how many I can make.

and if any of you beyonces from in the area wants to go to a show (especially La Boheme) let me know. We might be able to carpool.

Soonerus
12/7/2007, 12:48 AM
OK, here’s the dealie yo:

Some of you have expressed interest in seeing a show at the Opera in Wichita. Now, under most circumstances I would not post stuff like this on the board (I’d feel like a spammer since I work for the Opera) but there are extenuatin’ circumstances.

Last season set attendance record for the WGO. This season we’re barely into December (the season runs ‘till July 4 this year) and we’ve already topped last year’s sales. That means seats are going fast and we’re looking at selling out several performances later in the year. If y’all really want tickets you had better get them soon, unless you want to sit in the back corner next to Hairy. So:

If you want tickets, call 316-262-8054 or go to http://www.wichitagrandopera.org/

(http://www.wichitagrandopera.org/)
To save you some time I’ll run down the remaining season.

La Boheme: Sunday, February 3, 3:00 pm

Probably the most popular opera ever written. It inspired Moulin Rouge and RENT. Easy story: boy meets girl, they fall in love, she dies of an incurable disease. The star of the show is Marcello Giordani, who is THE man right now. We had to steal him away from The Met – two weeks after he sings here The Met is broadcasting him live in HD all across the U.S., Europe, and Japan. The only place in the U.S. he’s singing that isn’t The Met is Wichita. His co-star is Kallen Esperian, one of America’s most famous sopranos and as far as I know, she’s the ONLY soprano to have starred opposite all Three Tenors. Yes, I know the show is on Superbowl Sunday. This opera is two hours flat, so you’ll be out in time for the game. (Besides, it’ll probably be a crappy matchup anyway.)

Giselle: Thursday, February 21, 7:00 pm

This is probably the most famous ballet not written by some guy named Tchaikovsky. It will be performed by the St. Petersburg Ballet, one of Russia’s three greatest ballet companies. You won’t find better ballet in this part of the country.

Faust: Saturday, March 29, 7:00 pm

Samuel Ramey is the most recorded operatic bass in the history of history, and he’s a native of Colby, KS. His most famous role is The Devil in this opera, and he’s coming home to sing the role. Oh, and it’s his birthday, too. His costars, Hector Sandoval and Svetla Vassileva, are BIG names in Europe. Faust (Sandoval) sells his soul to Mephistopheles (Ramey) to get a cute girl (Vassileva). Faust gets the girl, knocks her up, abandons her, and then kills her brother who just came home from the war. She goes mad, murders the illegitimate child, and is sentenced to death, but is redeemed just before she dies. Faust is condemned to hell. Pretty wild opera – this will be the toughest ticket to get if you wait too long.

Sleeping Beauty: Sunday, March 30, 3:00 pm

If you don’t know the story, well, Michael Eisner is weeping somewhere. The Russian National Ballet is coming all the way from Moscow and bringing an orchestra with them. Bonus: it’s back-to-back with Faust, so you can make a whole weekend of it.

This one is a comedy AND it’s in English. The plot is too preposterous for me to summarize in two sentences, but you’ll have a good laugh.

Congrats on your success...

Frozen Sooner
12/7/2007, 12:51 AM

You, sir, are the model of a modern maestro general.

Quick fun fact about Pirates of Penzance-Gilbert and Sullivan were so annoyed at how people ripped off and otherwise messed with HMS Pinafore they wrote Pirates of Penzance specifically to make fun of it.

proud gonzo
12/7/2007, 09:32 AM

This one is a comedy AND it’s in English. The plot is too preposterous for me to summarize in two sentences, but you’ll have a good laugh.I thought you did a nice job of it this summer: "A pirate band is menaced when their loyal young apprentice says he’s forced to stand against their criminality. Since they haven’t any booty they rely on honor and duty in their quest to dodge arrest by technicality." :D

Mjcpr
12/7/2007, 09:34 AM
Will there be any with Max Baer starring?