PDA

View Full Version : Reggie out for bowl game?

toast
12/6/2007, 01:54 PM
Is this old news and I just now heard about it? Hale mentioned on Tulsa radio this morning that Reggie had broken a bone in his foot. I guess those who wanted Franks returning punts will get their wishes.

GoState
12/6/2007, 02:04 PM
Is this old news and I just now heard about it? Hale mentioned on Tulsa radio this morning that Reggie had broken a bone in his foot. I guess those who wanted Franks returning punts will get their wishes.

Wow, that sucks. Do you think this hurts your return game or secondary play more? I hope he heals quickly.

Collier11
12/6/2007, 02:11 PM
I think it improves our return game and it wont be a huge dropoff in the secondary. Not that Reggie isnt any good, he is great! I just think Franks is going to be really good

Mazeppa
12/6/2007, 02:14 PM
Did he fall out of the back of a pick-up truck?

Youngsooner
12/6/2007, 02:29 PM
yeah, thats sad, what happened?

I guess we'll get to see if Franks is really better than Smith. Though missing him on defense might hurt.

85sooners
12/6/2007, 02:35 PM
:eek:

Boomer.....
12/6/2007, 03:08 PM
I haven't heard anything about that. Did it happen in practice?

ougijoe
12/6/2007, 03:11 PM
Broken toe.

Should get some other guys some decent playing time, hopefully Franks sees his fair share at CB... we'll need him next yr

fwsooner22
12/6/2007, 03:11 PM
?????

Civicus_Sooner
12/6/2007, 03:13 PM
Good thing the forward pass hasn't caught on at WVU.

swardboy
12/6/2007, 04:00 PM
Not to say I don't believe you guys but LINK PLEASE!

TripleOption14
12/6/2007, 04:08 PM
If this is true I think it happened towards the end of the Big 12 Championship game. I noticed that he got nixed up a bit and went out and then Franks came in for him at CB. Sux that we will be a no go for the bowl.

On the bright side, I guess this kinda means he'll be back next year wouldn't one think? :)

r5TPsooner
12/6/2007, 04:33 PM
Broken toe.

Should get some other guys some decent playing time, hopefully Franks sees his fair share at CB... we'll need him next yr

Rub some Robitussin on it and he'll be ready to go.

Curly Bill
12/6/2007, 04:34 PM
Tape it up!

Spanish Sooner
12/6/2007, 05:02 PM
they'll probably roll Lendy to the corner, and have Darrien Williams go to the free and keep Nic Harris in his safety/nickel role

Rhino
12/6/2007, 05:12 PM
He hasn't been ruled out yet, but he's doubtful.

Octavian
12/6/2007, 05:35 PM
rub some dirt on it :)

Seriously, if he can't go then someone else needs to step up. That's too bad because he played one of his best --most physical -- games of his career in San Antonio.

But if Reggie was flirting with the idea of the draft....it could be a blessing in disguise for him. He needs another year at the college level.

MojoRisen
12/6/2007, 08:46 PM
Holmes at Corner Williams at FS- I concur -

KHS Sooner
12/6/2007, 08:56 PM

Darien is going to be happy to get some playing time. I'm happy for him too.

Scott D
12/6/2007, 09:00 PM

Nic Harris will be sad over his demotion.

MojoRisen
12/6/2007, 09:05 PM
Nickle back- my bad - Saftey however boomer frggin sooners do it-

KingDavid
12/6/2007, 09:36 PM
Nic Harris will be sad over his demotion.

heh.

rubyspirit
12/6/2007, 10:19 PM
Reggie suffered turf toe early in the game and continued to play. He was limping every time he came on and off the field. He even limped to the locker room after the game. Good heart on dude.

Get well Reggie.

FirstandGoal
12/6/2007, 10:35 PM
Against some teams this news might be a bit more scary than it is.

Not dissing WV, just saying that losing someone like Reynolds would be scarier than losing Reggie at this point in time with the way they run their offense.

Whet
12/6/2007, 11:45 PM
looks official:

Oklahoma cornerback to miss Fiesta Bowl

08:55 PM CST on Thursday, December 6, 2007

By BRANDON GEORGE / The Dallas Morning News

Oklahoma junior cornerback Reggie Smith won’t play in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 2, 2008, against West Virginia, OU announced Thursday.
Smith suffered a fractured bone in the big toe of his right foot during the Sooners’ 38-17 victory over then-No. 1 Missouri in the Big 12 Championship game in San Antonio. OU athletics head trainer Scott Anderson confirmed Thursday that Smith will not recover in time to participate in the game.
Smith started all 13 games at cornerback and punt returner. He was fourth on the team with 78 tackles and had three interceptions, 11 pass breakups and one fumble recovery, which he returned 61 yards for a touchdown against Miami. The Edmond, Okla., product had 30 of OU’s 42 punt returns this season and averaged 6.8 yards per return.
Junior safety Lendy Holmes of South Oak Cliff is listed behind Smith on the depth chart. Holmes moved from cornerback to safety this season but has continued to workout some at cornerback during practices each week. OU could also use backup redshirt freshman cornerback Dominique Franks in place of Smith. Franks will likely replace Smith at punt returner. Franks has averaged 10.3 yards on 12 punt returns this season.
</H2>

stoopified
12/7/2007, 12:15 AM
Tape it up!
Amputate it,he has nine other toes,he can lose one. :)

goingoneight
12/7/2007, 12:43 AM
GWS, RS... :(

sendbaht
12/7/2007, 01:01 AM
I remember seeing him limping off the field some in the Big 12 game.

Get well soon kid you are one of the great ones.

Brian Britt
12/7/2007, 01:03 AM
He was wearing some sort of a boot on campus.

BOOMER!

Brian Britt
12/7/2007, 01:03 AM
This will make the game more even, anyways. I wouldn't want one team to have an advantage over the other! Support your teams!

BOOMER!

texashater#1
12/7/2007, 12:47 PM
I really dont think it is that big of a loss. No offense but Reggie really hasn't played as well as most people think. At corner he has played ok but at return man he has been aweful. I got banned for saying this but I'm going to say it again. Reggie Smith is a vagina. A broken big toe what a girl.

Scott D
12/7/2007, 12:51 PM
I really dont think it is that big of a loss. No offense but Reggie really hasn't played as well as most people think. At corner he has played ok but at return man he has been aweful. I got banned for saying this but I'm going to say it again. Reggie Smith is a vagina. A broken big toe what a girl.

yeah, I'd like to see you run and cut on a broken toe.

texashater#1
12/7/2007, 12:58 PM
yeah, I'd like to see you run and cut on a broken toe.

Guess what buddy I played 4 games at wide reciever with three broken toes. It hurt like hell but I gritted my teeth because I love the game.

Scott D
12/7/2007, 01:09 PM
eh get back to me when you play with a broken hand..because hey you're just a receiver.

texashater#1
12/7/2007, 01:13 PM
Dude you started this thing when you tried to tell me to go out there and cut on a broken toe. I did just that. You played with a broken hand what were you...a Kicker

Collier11
12/7/2007, 01:25 PM
Guess what buddy I played 4 games at wide reciever with three broken toes. It hurt like hell but I gritted my teeth because I love the game.

Playing big time D1 football with guys running around you at 4.4 speed, it isnt quite smart or possible to play with a broken toe! There is a diff between playing D1 and mighty might!

Desert Sapper
12/7/2007, 01:36 PM
Ha. Former high school player smack is teh shizznit.

Especially if you consider we are talking about the guy that would have been shadowing Darius Reynaud. It's going to hurt to not have him. I hope he gets well soon.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/7/2007, 01:37 PM

Now, you broke your toes and finished the game? Or you broke your toes and played the next week? Which toes? Huge difference.

I weigh about 260 and when I run or jump, I'll estimate that about 700lbs of pressure is on about 1 square inch of surfacefor a split second... my big toe.

I broke my toe playing softball. I dove, knee hit the turf and it hammered my toe in to the ground. I finished the game no problem. The next 6 months, I couldn't reach in to the cupboard without reinjuring it. I could hardly walk on the damned thing.

Trust me, I can handle playing injured. I finished a season with broken ribs, a fractured pinky and ripped the nail off of that same pinky... yes, all of it.

So either Chuck Norris is your bitch or your injury wasn't that bad. I am leaning toward the latter.

Scott D
12/7/2007, 02:35 PM
Dude you started this thing when you tried to tell me to go out there and cut on a broken toe. I did just that. You played with a broken hand what were you...a Kicker

you're absolutely right. I should have asked you to go out there and backpedal and change direction by 180 degrees on a broken toe while running at full speed. It's a hell of a lot easier to be a receiver with a broken toe (Especially a big toe) than for it to be a corner doing it. For a receiver it would be the equivalent of going out and playing with a broken hand. I'm just sorry you can't wrap your mind around the concept of "equivalent of".

Civicus_Sooner
12/7/2007, 02:46 PM
As a former HS Corner Back....I can say, you (or He) would hurt the team if you played with that injury. No way you can tape it up. Good thing WVU can't pass.

TripleOption14
12/7/2007, 03:14 PM
Your BIG toe especially plays a HUGE role in running, cutting, and balance. All essential qualities when play DB.

GottaHavePride
12/7/2007, 07:39 PM

Yes, because that is clearly the wisest course of action.

soonerloyal
12/8/2007, 01:06 AM

I know ten female Marines off the top of my head who could snap your neck in a second. Even with girly vaginas. Geez, you do realize this is 2007, right? Save your caveman mentality for another board, dude. :mad:

soonerborn45
12/8/2007, 02:03 AM

What an idiot!! A broken big toe hurts like crazy. Especially for a DB. Now personally I think that Stoops can throw someone out there who can return punts better than Reggie, thats just my personal opionion, but don't call the guy a vagina cause thats just stupid especially if you have never been out there in the speed of the game.

GottaHavePride
12/8/2007, 01:36 PM
I'm sure he will be happy to respond to your posts in two weeks, when he's allowed to post again.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/8/2007, 01:40 PM

Way to go Uncle Rico..

Charla
12/8/2007, 03:13 PM
Well go pick up his shirt stud. Reggie Smith is one of the best DBs in the nation. At least you make us Noobs not look so stupid.

Collier11
12/8/2007, 04:42 PM
At least you make us Noobs not look so stupid.

whoa now, dont get too crazy! ;) :D :D :D :D

Crucifax Autumn
12/9/2007, 03:47 AM
Sad how a thread about an unfortunate injury to a great player who gives us his all for the team can devolve into someone being banned because he's too much of a jackhole to state his WRONG opinion in a classier way.

Any chance we could get back to talking about the injury, how we're gonna deal with it, whether there's any chance he can come back in time, etc.?

I personally hope he heals fast and manages to come in and lay some more of the monster hits he was putting on Missouri and that someone else can take his place and do well on returns, not because he's a vagina, but because he's a great athletew but has some fundamental problems with the mechanics involved in fielding punts.

And the day I see a vagina that looks like reggie or hits as hard as he does I'm going gay or celibate!

tulsaoilerfan
12/9/2007, 01:38 PM
I'm sure he will be happy to respond to your posts in two weeks, when he's allowed to post again.
Only 2 weeks? I vote for permanently:D

Jason White's Third Knee
12/10/2007, 04:11 PM
Way to go Uncle Rico..

First off, I love Reggie Smith.
Second, I love vaginas.
Third, I bet I can throw this football over those mountains.

Desert Sapper
12/10/2007, 05:08 PM
I know ten female Marines off the top of my head who could snap your neck in a second. Even with girly vaginas.

Only ten? If I walked outside right now, I could see at least two, but I'm too big of a puss to stand out in the cold like the hardass women that call themselves female Marines. I fear them and their vaginas.

kevpks
12/11/2007, 12:08 AM
Way to go Uncle Rico..

texashater#1: Ohhh man, I wish I could go back in time. I'd take state...and also avoid making an *** of myself on SF.

Crucifax Autumn
12/11/2007, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerloyal
I know ten female Marines off the top of my head who could snap your neck in a second. Even with girly vaginas.

Only ten? If I walked outside right now, I could see at least two, but I'm too big of a puss to stand out in the cold like the hardass women that call themselves female Marines. I fear them and their vaginas.

But are they girly vaginas?

Desert Sapper
12/11/2007, 11:22 AM
But are they girly vaginas?

Have you ever known a female Marine?

...Just the word girly cannot in any way find itself associated with a female Marine, and you might just get your *** kicked for thinking it.

I think the writer that spawned this whole thing by referring to Reggie Smith as a vagina is much closer to resembling a 'girly vagina' than the reproductive organs of a female Marine are.

Crucifax Autumn
12/12/2007, 01:07 AM
Actually I have and quite frankly I'm afraid of her!