PDA

View Full Version : Stoops agrees, OU goal - Sam to win 4 BIG XII Championships!

sooner n houston
12/6/2007, 11:27 AM
So, if Bradford remains healthy and sticks around through his senior season, can Stoops win four Big 12 rings with the same quarterback?

"That's a good one (goal) to put out there," Stoops said. "I'm going to start trumpeting it right now."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=071204_2_B1_hrbri84631

flopshotjoe99
12/6/2007, 11:38 AM
with the talent coming in, there's no reason why he shouldn't.:cool:

sanantoniosooner
12/6/2007, 11:44 AM
with the talent coming in, there's no reason why he shouldn't.:cool:
Shouldn't?

There are a lot of variables over a remaining 3 season span.

It's a possibility, but stating it as a probability after we just finished as the first team to repeat is reaching.

I'm even excited at the prospect, but there's no way it's a given.

Crucifax Autumn
12/6/2007, 11:45 AM
Isn't it our goal EVERY year to win the Big 12?

sanantoniosooner
12/6/2007, 11:48 AM
Isn't it our goal EVERY year to win the Big 12?
Definitely

One year at a time.

Stating it as a GOAL is a world different from making it a foregone conclusion.

XingTheRubicon
12/6/2007, 11:48 AM
Has anyone ever done this?

Is there a 4 time conference winning starting QB?

I don't know one off the top of my head. So I'd put it at about a 2% chance of happening.

Big Red Ron
12/6/2007, 11:51 AM

I don't know one off the top of my head. So I'd put it at about a 2% chance of happening.I would hope that it happened during the 47 game winning streak. Can't remember the dudes name but I guess he only started for three seasons.

sanantoniosooner
12/6/2007, 11:52 AM
I would hope that it happened during the 47 game winning streak.
You are assuming a 4 year starter coinciding with the streak. I say that's pretty doubtful.

you edited it

birddog
12/6/2007, 11:54 AM
Shouldn't?

There are a lot of variables over a remaining 3 season span.

It's a possibility, but stating it as a probability after we just finished as the first team to repeat is reaching.

I'm even excited at the prospect, but there's no way it's a given.

you need to scamper back to the nerd thread.

soonerinabilene
12/6/2007, 11:54 AM

I don't know one off the top of my head. So I'd put it at about a 2% chance of happening.

We went 9 straight years without losing a conference game in the 50's, but I dont know if we had a 4 year qb then or not.

Big Red Ron
12/6/2007, 11:56 AM
You are assuming a 4 year starter coinciding with the streak. I say that's pretty doubtful.

you edited itYou are such a bright beacon of light.:D

sanantoniosooner
12/6/2007, 11:59 AM
You are such a bright beacon of light.:D
It's not a negative comment at all. I just like to account for realistic possibilities.

4 year starters at powerhouse programs are a rare thing.

Big Red Ron
12/6/2007, 12:01 PM
It's not a negative comment at all. I just like to account for realistic possibilities.

4 year starters at powerhouse programs are a rare thing.You're avatar says otherwise. ;)

NorthernIowaSooner
12/6/2007, 12:11 PM
I would hope that it happened during the 47 game winning streak. Can't remember the dudes name but I guess he only started for three seasons.

jimmy harris, he won all his games on the freshmen squad too so he never lost a game in college

Big Red Ron
12/6/2007, 12:12 PM
jimmy harris, he won all his games on the freshmen squad too so he never lost a game in collegeSee Sanantonio... Nah, nah nah nah ham, Ha ha ha ha haaa!:P

sanantoniosooner
12/6/2007, 12:19 PM
See Sanantonio... Nah, nah nah nah ham, Ha ha ha ha haaa!:P
so the freshman squad counts?

What if we throw intramurals in there?

XingTheRubicon
12/6/2007, 12:24 PM
Please quit mentioning '50s teams. Freshman did not play varsity then, and for the most part didn't until the mid 70's.

I don't think any starting QB has won 3 Conference Championship Games (SEC CCG, BIG XII CCG, etc.) How many have won 2 CCG's? Weurffel?

Big Red Ron
12/6/2007, 12:24 PM
Different era smart as but if you don't count a guy that went undefeated for four years then whatever. I'm sure we won our conference his Freshman year too.

Desert Sapper
12/6/2007, 12:28 PM
jimmy harris, he won all his games on the freshmen squad too so he never lost a game in college

That would make him a three-year starter on the regular football team. Since players couldn't play on the varsity as freshmen back then, it will have to do. Steve Davis also won three straight conference titles from '73-'75. Not sure when the NCAA relaxed the rule on freshmen starters (late '70s or early '80s?).

LittleWingSooner
12/6/2007, 12:32 PM
The only reason it's tough to consider the 50s is because that Jimmy Harris wasn't a QB for half the games he played. He was also a DB for half those games.

Freshmen weren't allowed to play till 1972 when we had a few freshmen named Selmon, Owens, Washington, among others.

Lott's Bandana
12/6/2007, 12:36 PM
How about Steve Davis for three? He only lost one game as a starter.

1973-1975 Steve Davis 32-1-1

1974 Orange Bowl 1975 Orange Bowl 1976 Orange Bowl
1973 Big 8 1974 Big 8 1975 Big 8
1974 National Champion 1975 National Champion

XingTheRubicon
12/6/2007, 12:38 PM
Isn't there only 10 or so QB's that was a 4 year starter?

I bet there is only 2 or 3 QB's that have been the opening day starter for 4 straight years.

proudsoonergal
12/6/2007, 12:45 PM

I bet there is only 2 or 3 QB's that have been the opening day starter for 4 straight years.

The only one that comes to mind is Reggie Ball at G-Tech. Not to say he ever won anything - seriously, how did he keep his job for four years?

fadada1
12/6/2007, 12:54 PM
fellas... RON PAULUS!!!!!

dude won everything!!!

Desert Sapper
12/6/2007, 01:00 PM
I know Philip Rivers was, because I knew this sweet little thing that went to NC State and she wouldn't shut up about their freshman superstar QB. Pretty sure he left after his senior year.

Can some of you *ahem* more experienced sooner fans give me a hand on this Sooner Starting QBs wikipedia page? I started this one from scratch a little under a year ago, and I am balancing about 6 different sources of information and don't know what to take as the truth. I'm about 90% on the 1970's through the 2000s, but don't know much before that beyond things I've pieced together. Any discussion on it would be helpful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_Sooners_starting_quarterbacks

Big Red Ron
12/6/2007, 01:08 PM
Eh, don't forget Chris Sims.

sooner94
12/6/2007, 02:18 PM
Having a proven guy at QB with 3 years of eligibility left certainly makes it possibility.

Although, Keith Nichols probably would not enjoy reading that article.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/6/2007, 02:39 PM
Folks, if Sam replicates this year the next two (especially in his 3rd year with essentially the whole offensive line having to be replaced) there is very little chance we'll see him under center for a 4th, because the N F and L will dangle this in front of him:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...

soonerboy_odanorth
12/6/2007, 02:40 PM
How about Steve Davis for three? He only lost one game as a starter.

1973-1975 Steve Davis 32-1-1

1974 Orange Bowl 1975 Orange Bowl 1976 Orange Bowl
1973 Big 8 1974 Big 8 1975 Big 8
1974 National Champion 1975 National Champion

pssssst... your avatar is upside down.

swardboy
12/6/2007, 02:53 PM
The only reason it's tough to consider the 50s is because that Jimmy Harris wasn't a QB for half the games he played. He was also a DB for half those games.

Freshmen weren't allowed to play till 1972 when we had a few freshmen named Selmon, Owens, Washington, among others.

Shouldn't that be "Jimmy Harris was a QB for the WHOLE GAME, and a DB for the WHOLE GAME" ?

LittleWingSooner
12/6/2007, 06:57 PM
Shouldn't that be "Jimmy Harris was a QB for the WHOLE GAME, and a DB for the WHOLE GAME" ?

No they had 2 guys playing QB most of the time. You couldn't play both sides of the ball at the same time then. I think Jay O'Neal would play QB for half the games one year. I can't remember who else played QB.

SbOrOiNaEnR
12/6/2007, 10:50 PM
We went 9 straight years without losing a conference game in the 50's, but I dont know if we had a 4 year qb then or not.

I'm not sure that could've happened back then...freshmen weren't allowed to play until '71 or '72....so even the best players would've only had 3 years playing time...max.

That being said, I'm perfectly content with winning 4 Big 12 titles with Sam...then 2 with Landry Jones!!!

jwlynn64
12/7/2007, 12:52 AM
Eh, don't forget Chris Sims.

I believe that Major Applewhite started at least Simm's freshman year. I seem to remember him coming into the Red River Shootout as a replacement for an ineffective Applewhite? :confused:

snp
12/7/2007, 01:38 AM

Chad Henne, Erik Ainge, Kevin Kolb, Reggie Ball, Brad Smith, Brett Meyer, Jay Cutler, Phillip Rivers, and David Green all come to mind in recent years.

Crucifax Autumn
12/7/2007, 01:52 AM
Yeah, but none of those guys are Sooners so who cares? lol

Frozen Sooner
12/7/2007, 01:59 AM
Shoot. You guys are slipping. I can name a QB right off the top of my head who won four straight conference championships.

Jim Kelly.

:D

Fraggle145
12/7/2007, 02:03 AM
Chad Henne, Erik Ainge, Kevin Kolb, Reggie Ball, Brad Smith, Brett Meyer, Jay Cutler, Phillip Rivers, and David Green all come to mind in recent years.

no but one of them is the winningest quarterback in NCAA history - David Green... and I think he only has one title (maybe two).

Harry Beanbag
12/7/2007, 07:17 AM
Matt Leinart won three Pac-10 titles in a row. John David Booty has two.

swardboy
12/7/2007, 07:53 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see five straight (PT - SB), but I wonder if the "non-competitive" conference card gets pulled against us in that event?

Lott's Bandana
12/7/2007, 10:07 AM
pssssst... your avatar is upside down.

dat bettah?

spek

NorthernIowaSooner
12/7/2007, 01:44 PM

that could be the most inaccurate statement ive ever read, he played both ways and i dont think he missed more then a couple games in his career if he did, i know he only played part of a nebraska game one year. this is the qb bud had the most faith in with his offense most likely ever let alone when he was playing there. theres no way jimmy wasnt playing qb, do some research

swardboy
12/7/2007, 02:01 PM
that could be the most inaccurate statement ive ever read, he played both ways and i dont think he missed more then a couple games in his career if he did, i know he only played part of a nebraska game one year. this is the qb bud had the most faith in with his offense most likely ever let alone when he was playing there. theres no way jimmy wasnt playing qb, do some research

Actually I think Nick is right....I now remember reading in "The Undefeated" how Wilkinson would put whole second units in during every game. I don't know if it added up to half the game, but it was a measure to keep the two-way starters fresh. Wow, has football evolved since then.

NorthernIowaSooner
12/7/2007, 02:05 PM
Actually I think Nick is right....I now remember reading in "The Undefeated" how Wilkinson would put whole second units in during every game. I don't know if it added up to half the game, but it was a measure to keep the two-way starters fresh. Wow, has football evolved since then.

thats right about taking the first team out and putting the second unit in, but he didnt play half the game at db and half at qb, he played both and was on the first units, bud had the most faith in jimmy and he played the most