PDA

View Full Version : Golden Key International Honour Society

sanantoniosooner
12/6/2007, 01:03 AM
Does anybody know anything about this group? Is it worth joining? Or is it some lame waste of time and effort?

http://www.goldenkey.org/GKWeb

Dear sas,

We recently sent you an invitation to join Golden Key International Honour Society. Your initial deadline to join has passed and according to our records you have not yet chosen to accept our invitation.

If you somehow missed our letter, let the deadline pass or were too busy to accept our offer, we would like to give you the opportunity to join at this time.

If you have already joined you can disregard this opportunity.

Membership invitations to Golden Key are only extended to students in the top 15% of their class based on cumulative GPA as determined by your school. Receiving this invitation is an honor which recognizes your superb academic achievement.

blah blah
blah blah

Mongo
12/6/2007, 01:06 AM
your real name is sas?

sanantoniosooner
12/6/2007, 01:07 AM
since birth.

Which is weird because I was born in Midwest City.

soonerboomer93
12/6/2007, 01:37 AM
maybe they just misspelled *** on your birth certificate?

Viking Kitten
12/6/2007, 09:52 AM
I was invited to join that organization as well, and I declined. Here's why. It's open to anybody with a 3.0 and higher GPA. Well, I'm sorry, but personally I just don't think a 3.0 is something to get all that excited about. 3.0 means "B." "B" means good, not great. It just seems pointless to me to join an organization that celebrates "good"... like youth sports leagues that give trophies to everybody, you know?

As far as your future resume is concerned, do you really want a potential employer to know that you are proud of and satisfied with work that is good, but not necessarily great? Because when I did some hiring at my last job, that's the first thing I thought when I saw that on their resume.

Don't get me wrong, I worked my way through college and I'm proud of my 3.5. But, you know, a pat on the back from my mom was sufficient for me. Joining a club to let people know how reasonably good my grades were seemed silly.

sanantoniosooner
12/6/2007, 10:04 AM
yeah, I've declined before simply by not responding, but I thought I'd see if anyone else had any knowledge of the group. I can see what you are saying, for sure. I'm not that interested, but any more comments would be great. Maybe someone else has joined and there are some benefits other than just bragging about your B average.

soonerhubs
12/6/2007, 10:25 AM
I've heard it gets you some chords for graduation, but my undergrad adviser said it wouldn't be cost effective to join it. Of course I was filling out Grad school applications as well at this time, but fwiw I had plenty of offers without being a Golden Key Member.

Viking Kitten
12/6/2007, 10:47 AM
Speaking of cost effective, that was the other reason I didn't join. It just kind of smacked of being a money-making scheme, either for the organization or OU, or probably both. OU gets plenty of my money as it is.

OUDoc
12/6/2007, 10:52 AM
And it's not like you were offered a spot in the "Who's Who" book. ;)

sanantoniosooner
12/6/2007, 10:55 AM
I can definitely agree on that. In my current situation, it's UTSA.

I did vote to have a football team down here and all the future students will get to pay for it :D