PDA

View Full Version : New Arkie Coach!

Whet
12/5/2007, 11:08 PM
AD says Grobe staying at Wake, not headed to Arkansas

Wake Forest football coach Jim Grobe will return next season to the Demon Deacons, rebuffing an apparent attempt to lure him to Arkansas to replace Houston Nutt, according to published reports.

Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman also told two newspapers in North Carolina that Grobe would remain at the school.

"I know Jim told me this morning, 'I'm the Wake Forest football coach, and I'm happy about that,' " Wellman told the News & Record of Greensboro, according to a story posted on the paper's Web site. "And I'm hoping he'll be our coach for several years from now."

Sources told both the Associated Press and the Charlotte Observer that Grobe will be staying in Winston-Salem.
"Jim Grobe was our coach yesterday, he's our coach today and he will be tomorrow," the source told the Observer.

Incoming Arkansas athletics director Jeff Long said Thursday that while the search to replace Nutt is continuing, nothing has been finalized.

"While I have been involved in detailed discussions with candidates, no formal offer has been extended and no agreement has been reached," Long said.

The Winston-Salem Journal reported Wellman met with Grobe late into the night on Wednesday, and the coach called the athletic director on Thursday morning to say he was staying.
"This morning he called with very good news," Wellman told the newspaper.

According to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Grobe interviewed with Long on Tuesday.
The Grobe-to-Arkansas rumors started late Wednesday, after a private university fundraising arm in Arkansas approved a salary supplement for the Wake Forest coach. But there was no official word from Arkansas, however, on whether Grobe would replace Nutt, who quit Nov. 26 and was hired almost immediately by Mississippi.

FAYETTEVILLE -- Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe is going to be the next football coach at the University of Arkansas and is likely to be introduced on Thursday.

The board of the Razorback Foundation met briefly via conference call Wednesday evening and approved a salary supplement for Grobe, who just completed his seventh season at Wake Forest.

There is a strong likelihood that Grobe will be paid more than former coach Houston Nutt, but details of the salary package were not immediately available.

A coach's salary from state funds is limited so the Foundation must agree to guarantee any other money that is promised a coach.

For instance, former Razorback coach Houston Nutt received a state salary of $330,000, but his total package was about $1.5 million. Among other things, Nutt was guaranteed $600,000 for radio-TV and $250,000 for speaking engagements.
Link (http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2007/12/05/news/120607coachsearch.txt)

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- The University of Arkansas has hired Jim Grobe as the Razorbacks' next football coach, officials said late Wednesday.

Grobe, 55, has spent the last seven years as head coach of the Wake Forest Demon Deacons and compiled a 45-39 record. He led Wake Forest to the ACC championship in 2006 and a trip to the Orange Bowl.

Grobe was also the Associated Press coach of the year last season.

He became the Hogs' leading candidate to replace Houston Nutt after Clemson's Tommy Bowden decided to stay with the Tigers.

Officials said the board of the Razorback Foundation has approved a salary for Grobe; however, there is no word how much he will make yet.

link (http://www.4029tv.com/sports/14785996/detail.html?rss=fts&psp=sports)

KHS Sooner
12/5/2007, 11:10 PM
Good Hire.

Curly Bill
12/5/2007, 11:14 PM
Not a bad choice Hogs.

Lott's Bandana
12/5/2007, 11:16 PM
News reports had him pollitik'n to get the Mish job. Guess he wanted outta Winston-Salem-Cools-Newports-Marlboro.

goingoneight
12/5/2007, 11:16 PM
Heh... didn't Callahan beat Grobe this season? :D

bluedogok
12/5/2007, 11:21 PM
Wake is about like coaching Tulsa or Rice, small schools and winning the ACC last year was more an exception than was going to be the rule. Good coach, seems like it might be a good hire.

Curly Bill
12/5/2007, 11:25 PM
I think it's a far better hire then what atm did.

KingDavid
12/6/2007, 12:21 AM
Arkansas is a death trap for a coach: rabid fan base with a bad case of completely unjustified championship envy.

Bad move by Grobe IMHO.

He'll come limping out of there in about 4 years looking for the job at Mississippi state. Then he and Nutt can meet up for mint juleps and compare ego bruises.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/6/2007, 12:53 AM
Arkansas is a death trap for a coach: rabid fan base with a bad case of completely unjustified championship envy.

Bad move by Grobe IMHO.

He'll come limping out of there in about 4 years looking for the job at Mississippi state. Then he and Nutt can meet up for mint juleps and compare ego bruises.
Not so fast my friend.
I think this is a tremendous hire for the Razorbacks. Knowing the Hog fans' psyche as I do, it's not as much wins and losses as it is integrity and representing a university and an entire state with class and honor. Houston Nutt failed in those latter areas. I followed Grobe's career at Wake and I felt like he was going to go places (I knew Nebraska and Michigan had expressed strong interest in him). Personally, I think Hog fans are going to be thrilled with Grobe. Most realize that the cupboard is going to be bare next year and they're going to give him a couple of years to restock it. But if Grobe could take little Wake Forest to a conference championship and a BCS game, just think what he could do with a team with tradition, facilities and resources playing in a prestigious conference.

KingDavid
12/6/2007, 01:00 AM
Not so fast my friend.
I think this is a tremendous hire for the Razorbacks. Knowing the Hog fans' psyche as I do, it's not as much wins and losses as it is integrity and representing a university and an entire state with class and honor. Houston Nutt failed in those latter areas. I followed Grobe's career at Wake and I felt like he was going to go places (I knew Nebraska and Michigan had expressed strong interest in him). Personally, I think Hog fans are going to be thrilled with Grobe. Most realize that the cupboard is going to be bare next year and they're going to give him a couple of years to restock it. But if Grobe could take little Wake Forest to a conference championship and a BCS game, just think what he could do with a team with tradition, facilities and resources playing in a prestigious conference.

We'll see how it shakes out. I'd love to see another contender rise up in the SEC so that they can beat each other all to hell even more. Here's to Grobe.

For the record, however: resurrecting Wake in the midst of a shotty ACC is one thing; putting Arkansas into a consistently competitive situation in the SEC is going to be every bit as challenging, if not more so. McFadden aside, the Razorback program has a lot of dust, and not a first class tradition to begin with, anyway, if you ask me. It's B+ at best.

Big Red Ron
12/6/2007, 01:01 AM
Not so fast my friend.
I think this is a tremendous hire for the Razorbacks. Knowing the Hog fans' psyche as I do, it's not as much wins and losses as it is integrity and representing a university and an entire state with class and honor. Houston Nutt failed in those latter areas. I followed Grobe's career at Wake and I felt like he was going to go places (I knew Nebraska and Michigan had expressed strong interest in him). Personally, I think Hog fans are going to be thrilled with Grobe. Most realize that the cupboard is going to be bare next year and they're going to give him a couple of years to restock it. But if Grobe could take little Wake Forest to a conference championship and a BCS game, just think what he could do with a team with tradition, facilities and resources playing in a prestigious conference.Time to update your sig man.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/6/2007, 01:39 AM
Time to update your sig man.
Thanks, I had almost forgotten to. I've been at a high school basketball tournament all day and I got back to my computer and checked up on the Grobe news and I almost forgot that the Sooners had a game tonight.

derek430
12/6/2007, 01:55 AM
I like the hire. I really thought that Grobe was going to be the next coach at Michigan

CORNholio
12/6/2007, 01:56 AM
I see him being a good but not great coach. Somewhere along the lines of--Houston Nutt. The more things change the more they stay the same.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/6/2007, 02:08 AM
I see him being a good but not great coach. Somewhere along the lines of--Houston Nutt. The more things change the more they stay the same.
Grobe has done more with less at two schools, Ohio U. and WF. That's more than can be said about Nutt, who wasted away a potential national title team at Arkansas with a Heisman trophy RB and ran off a quarterback that went 8-0 as a starter.

birddog
12/6/2007, 02:15 AM

their championship envy is completely justified.

they haven't won an mnc since 1964.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/6/2007, 02:29 AM

Some Hog fans are also jealous because of geography reasons. There's OU to the west, Texas to the southwest, LSU to the south and Tennessee to the east, all of whom have won BCS titles in the past decade.

Crucifax Autumn
12/6/2007, 02:39 AM

I see me caring who's coaching Arkansas as much as I care what the plot will be for the next High School Musical movie...

Seamus
12/6/2007, 03:58 AM
Good jorb on the sig updaye :cool:

XingTheRubicon
12/6/2007, 10:30 AM
Not so fast my friend.

Well, Arkie had Nolan Richardson, Lou Holtz and Houston Nutt, etc...

FWIW, the fanbase that wears pigs on their heads and makes hog sounds with their breathers, would support Hugo Chavez if he could win like Stoops.

WhiteRiverSooner
12/6/2007, 11:45 AM
Word on the radio waves here in Arkansas is that Grobe has had a change of heart and will be staying at WF.

BudSooner
12/6/2007, 12:06 PM
Yep, he got a look at the drooling toothless hillbillies and their 'still parked out behind the athletic center and thought better of WF.

That or he just talked to Nutt.

AverageJoe
12/6/2007, 01:13 PM
What Arkie really needs to do is STOP playing games in Little Rock. Good stadium and good campus in Fayetteille, WHY go to that old run down down stadium in the rock. Not that far a drive, why loose that feel for home games and bascially play OFF campus fortwo games a year. Stupid, it would be like OU playing two games a year in Lawton or Enid????????????????

Dumb

AJ

soonerhillbilly
12/6/2007, 01:29 PM
word around the office here, The Board is pushing for Gus to return as OC, Grobe didn't like it.

Whet
12/6/2007, 02:18 PM
UPDATE!!

Wake Forest football coach Jim Grobe will return next season to the Demon Deacons, rebuffing an apparent attempt to lure him to Arkansas to replace Houston Nutt, according to published reports.

Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman also told two newspapers in North Carolina that Grobe would remain at the school.

"I know Jim told me this morning, 'I'm the Wake Forest football coach, and I'm happy about that,' " Wellman told the News & Record of Greensboro, according to a story posted on the paper's Web site. "And I'm hoping he'll be our coach for several years from now."

Sources told both the Associated Press and the Charlotte Observer that Grobe will be staying in Winston-Salem.

"Jim Grobe was our coach yesterday, he's our coach today and he will be tomorrow," the source told the Observer.

Incoming Arkansas athletics director Jeff Long said Thursday that while the search to replace Nutt is continuing, nothing has been finalized.

"While I have been involved in detailed discussions with candidates, no formal offer has been extended and no agreement has been reached," Long said.

The Winston-Salem Journal reported Wellman met with Grobe late into the night on Wednesday, and the coach called the athletic director on Thursday morning to say he was staying.

"This morning he called with very good news," Wellman told the newspaper.

According to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Grobe interviewed with Long on Tuesday.
The Grobe-to-Arkansas rumors started late Wednesday, after a private university fundraising arm in Arkansas approved a salary supplement for the Wake Forest coach. But there was no official word from Arkansas, however, on whether Grobe would replace Nutt, who quit Nov. 26 and was hired almost immediately by Mississippi.

Sooner_Bob
12/6/2007, 02:22 PM
What? Nobody wants to coach at Arkansas?

Seamus
12/6/2007, 03:18 PM
word around the office here, The Board is pushing for Gus to return as OC, Grobe didn't like it.

I can't understand why any hiring committee would think they can force an established coach to accept their choice of coordinators and expect that coach to sign on the dotted line. Of course he wouldn't. That kind of nonsense is just an indication of the level of interference to come.

This little piggie was brain dead, this little piggie ...

Civicus_Sooner
12/6/2007, 03:31 PM
Ark is the aTm of the SEC. Unrealistic expectations based on almost nothing.

birddog
12/6/2007, 03:47 PM
why loose that feel for home games

AJ
you are hereby invited to join soonerboarder at the south oval and respond to his thread on grammar smack.

Curly Bill
12/6/2007, 04:23 PM
you are hereby invited to join soonerboarder at the south oval and respond to his thread on grammar smack.

:D

AllAboutThe'O'
12/6/2007, 04:45 PM
I don't think getting an established coach is going to work for Arkansas now. They're going to have to bite the bullet and go after a young, up-and-coming coordinator. Maybe BV, maybe Charlie Strong, maybe Will Muschamp.

Paperclip
12/6/2007, 04:48 PM
I don't think getting an established coach is going to work for Arkansas now. They're going to have to bite the bullet and go after a young, up-and-coming coordinator. Maybe BV, maybe Charlie Strong, maybe Will Muschamp.

There's a press conference later to announce the hiring of Dana Altman.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/6/2007, 04:59 PM
There's a press conference later to announce the hiring of Dana Altman.
Another black eye in the tumultuous 2007 that has been Razorback athletics.:O

KingDavid
12/6/2007, 05:02 PM

Which was the point I was trying to make.

Unjustified championship entitlement syndrome is what I should have said.

CORNholio
12/6/2007, 07:53 PM
Oh the comedy that is Arkie.

bluedogok
12/6/2007, 11:13 PM

Isn't that the problem at aTm as well?

I have a feeling they might be calling Gus for the last ditch prom date after getting turned down by everyone else.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/7/2007, 12:57 AM
And the Razorback reality/comedy show continues.
AD Long and the school's chancellor had a closed-door meeting with the players this evening to discuss the coaching situation, and shall we say, tensions got a little bit heated. This thread, BTW, was started by the father of one of the players:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=187902.0

Sooner in Tampa
12/7/2007, 07:35 AM
And the Razorback reality/comedy show continues.
AD Long and the school's chancellor had a closed-door meeting with the players this evening to discuss the coaching situation, and shall we say, tensions got a little bit heated. This thread, BTW, was started by the father of one of the players:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=187902.0Who wants to register just to read about the pigs? :texan:

zeke
12/7/2007, 09:35 AM

Arkansas claims a National Championship...but dont REALLY have one

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/champions_national.html

CORNholio
12/7/2007, 10:52 AM
I think it was a split championship. Kinda like Colorado's.

The
12/7/2007, 10:58 AM
Brent Musberger would be a good fit for Arkansas.

Mixer!
12/7/2007, 11:29 AM
Maybe all Arkie needs is a 40 year old man. ;)

Paperclip
12/7/2007, 11:32 AM
You can read woopig.net without registering.

Curly Bill
12/7/2007, 12:18 PM
Coach Fran is available...He could take Callanberger as his OC and Phil Bennett as his DC...Guy Morris could coach QB's or something.

sooner_born_1960
12/7/2007, 01:01 PM
Word on the street is that I'm third in line for the Arkie job. Excuse me while I go hunt for my whistle.

picasso
12/7/2007, 01:13 PM
who cares about Arkie.

sorry Lubby.:)

BudSooner
12/7/2007, 01:15 PM
They just called me, press conference at 2pm.

I'm accepting the position.

Unless Tampa Bay makes me a better offer.

ArkanSooner
12/8/2007, 09:37 AM
Arkansas has actually already offered five candidates:
1. Houston Dale Nutt
2. Butch Davis
3. Tommy Tuberville
4. Tommy Bowden
5. Jim Grobe

So now it's down to option #6. The popular names being thrown around here are Lane Kiffin (Raiders HC), Bobby Petrino (Falcons HC), Norm Chow (Titans OC), and still some people think they'll get Jimmy Johnson. Of course, those are just what everyone's "sources" say, so there's probably no validity to any of them. More realistic candidates include Auburn DC Will Muschamp, OUr DC Venables, Florida DC Charlie Strong, and Central Arkansas HC Clint Conque. I think they'll end up hiring either Reggie Herring (current DC, interim HC) or Gus Malzahn, which would make the fan base even more divided than it is now.

sozo
12/8/2007, 10:13 AM

Can you say Alabama? LOL

zeke
12/8/2007, 10:27 AM
Ark fans and the Ark media really believe that Ark should be a National power and in the hunt every year and seemed surprised, every year, that they are not.
Living in S.E. Oklahoma I'm forced to listen to and watch Ark's idiotic sports news. They dislike OU and take every opportunity to either ignore us when we win or show highlights every night for a week when we loose, so I HATE the pigs and find it very funny and fitting that they struggle in everything.

F-them

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/8/2007, 12:34 PM
Ark fans and the Ark media really believe that Ark should be a National power and in the hunt every year and seemed surprised, every year, that they are not.
Living in S.E. Oklahoma I'm forced to listen to and watch Ark's idiotic sports news. They dislike OU and take every opportunity to either ignore us when we win or show highlights every night for a week when we loose, so I HATE the pigs and find it very funny and fitting that they struggle in everything.

F-themI have a friend who is an AR fan, and I get the impression you are dead on about your arkanalysis.

Breadburner
12/8/2007, 12:49 PM
They should go after Larry Coker......

stoops the eternal pimp
12/8/2007, 01:18 PM
This guy would be a perfect fit

http://lordnazh.com/DailyRamble/uploaded_images/Farmer_Fran-782576.jpg

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/8/2007, 01:36 PM
It used to aggravate me when I lived in Tulsa in the '80's and the T-town newspapers gave so much sports coverage to u of Ark. They said it was because they had a lot of readers in NW AR. Still, it's an out-of-state team, and I was unpleasantly surprised at the coverage.

Big Red Ron
12/8/2007, 01:40 PM
It used to aggravate me when I lived in Tulsa in the '80's and the T-town newspapers gave so much sports coverage to u of Ark. They said it was because they had a lot of readers in NW AR. Still, it's an out-of-state team, and I was unpleasantly surprised at the coverage.yet another reason why Tulsa Sucks.

ArkanSooner
12/8/2007, 02:29 PM
Today's random Hog fan protest----

The Razorbacks have come close to getting a new head coach. Three times to be exact but each time the deal fell through. Now all of this back and forth seems to be getting to some Razorback fans. One in particular.

Fox 16's LaTresha Woodruff tells us how one man is so fed up he's taken his frustrations down to the river.

if you crossed the interstate 430 bridge and saw a tent pitched on a tiny island on the Arkansas River, you may have wondered who is the world would be on an island in the middle of the river on such a nasty day.

Well its dedicated Hog fan and Magic 105 radio DJ, Nathan Christian. He's frustrated with the University of Arkansas' inability to land a head coach.

"I got upset when I found out Wake Forest Coach had pulled out of the position."

Feeling defeated Christian banished himself here to this island on the river, where he plans to rough it until he gets word that there's a new coach on the hill. "I didn't want to deal with or hear about the head coaching search until actually had a coach."

And Christian, who hates camping, says not even the cold and rainy weather will bring him back to shore. But doesn't think his efforts will speed up the search for a coach. "I don't think it'll make any difference, I don't take life to seriously, you have to sacrifice for the things you believe in."

Christian says he's spent his time waving to those passing by and talking to friends on the phone but he won't let them give him any updates on the head coach search until one is officially announced.

http://www.magic105fm.com/cc-common/mlib/917/12/917_1197065553.pdf

JaxSooner
12/9/2007, 12:30 AM
who cares about Arkie.

sorry Lubby.:)

Dude. I'm touched.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/9/2007, 01:14 AM

F-them
I bet you also get a kick out of the KFSM TV-5 station promos that have the news anchors and weatherpeople decked out in Razorback jerseys.;)
I grew up following the Hogs but now it's just tough to do so because of all the yahoos in the NWA media and even on the Ft. Smith radio talk circuit (think of a certain 3 p.m. weekday show in the area). I'm glad Nutt's gone but I'm now at the point where I want the search to drag on to the point where the media is just going to throw up some names on the wall and see if it sticks.