PDA

View Full Version : Going on my cross country this weekend...

SoonerStormchaser
12/5/2007, 12:49 PM
...the location? First (two months ago), we were told Nellis AFB (Vegas)...then it was moved to MacDill AFB (Tampa) a month ago...then last week, we were told possibly Key West or San Diego. Finally, we've got our confirmed destination: Travis AFB (between Sacramento and San Francisco).

Anyone have any opinions on tourist destinations for SanFran this weekend? Fisherman's Wharf is a definite go...and I'm staying clear of Haight-Ashbury and other ghey/hippie locales.

StoopTroup
12/5/2007, 12:53 PM
Wine cOUntry.

frankensooner
12/5/2007, 12:56 PM
If you were single and ready to mingle (http://www.sfsenior.com/) ;)

SoonerStormchaser
12/5/2007, 01:18 PM
I had that in mind Frank, but since the wife and stepdaughter are flying from OKC and joining me, I'm on a tight leash.

Thanks for the consideration, though.

Mjcpr
12/5/2007, 02:20 PM
You're stepdaughter is old enough to go to bars, right?

SoonerStormchaser
12/5/2007, 02:24 PM
Negative...she's 15.5 years old.

Okla-homey
12/5/2007, 03:39 PM
...the location? First (two months ago), we were told Nellis AFB (Vegas)...then it was moved to MacDill AFB (Tampa) a month ago...then last week, we were told possibly Key West or San Diego. Finally, we've got our confirmed destination: Travis AFB (between Sacramento and San Francisco).

Anyone have any opinions on tourist destinations for SanFran this weekend? Fisherman's Wharf is a definite go...and I'm staying clear of Haight-Ashbury and other ghey/hippie locales.

Travis to downtown SF is a hike. You fellers would do better to stay around Fairfield/vacaville and drink. You ain't lookin' to get laid anyway, right?

Alternatively, take a wine country tour on Saturday. You'll prolly be in crew rest starting fairly early on Sunday anyway.

1stTimeCaller
12/5/2007, 03:42 PM
I had that in mind Frank, but since the wife and stepdaughter are flying from OKC and joining me, I'm on a tight leash.

Thanks for the consideration, though.

you're flying out there for work and the family is following?

SoonerStormchaser
12/5/2007, 06:31 PM
Yah, cause we're cleared off at 5 on Friday til Sunday, when we have to take our white tube of shame back home.

KABOOKIE
12/5/2007, 06:35 PM
White tube of shame? T-1?

SoonerStormchaser
12/5/2007, 06:52 PM
T-43
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/25/T-43.jpg/800px-T-43.jpg

Harry Beanbag
12/5/2007, 07:24 PM
San Francisco is a great city, but if you are overwhelmed with preconceived notions of seeing touristy b.s. and staying away from the fags, then maybe it's just not your cup of tea. Just stay in Cowtown and eat at Jack in the Box.

One of the best times I've ever had was just wandering around the streets of San Francisco talking to people. Yes I was loaded, but so was everybody else. If you really want to see some beautiful scenery, take the first exit on the north end of the Golden Gate bridge and go up to the Marin Headlands. There are some old coastal gun battery emplacements that place you on top of the bridge overlooking the bay, the gate, and the city on the other side. Very impressive. The Point Bonita lighthouse is also a little further west on the same road.

http://www.gatetrails.com/photos/slackerhill.jpg

http://www.terragalleria.com/images/us-ca/usca30024.jpeg

SoonerStormchaser
12/5/2007, 07:34 PM
Kewl...

I was in SanFran back in 1988 on my way to Japan with my family, I was 5 at the time I thought it was awesome. I've been itching to go back for awhile.

Lott's Bandana
12/5/2007, 08:01 PM
San Francisco is a great city, but if you are overwhelmed with preconceived notions of seeing touristy b.s. and staying away from the fags, then maybe it's just not your cup of tea. Just stay in Cowtown and eat at Jack in the Box.

One of the best times I've ever had was just wandering around the streets of San Francisco talking to people. Yes I was loaded, but so was everybody else. If you really want to see some beautiful scenery, take the first exit on the north end of the Golden Gate bridge and go up to the Marin Headlands. There are some old coastal gun battery emplacements that place you on top of the bridge overlooking the bay, the gate, and the city on the other side. Very impressive. The Point Bonita lighthouse is also a little further west on the same road.

http://www.gatetrails.com/photos/slackerhill.jpg

http://www.terragalleria.com/images/us-ca/usca30024.jpeg

I second all that. As an Okiefornian, I think that road in that photo has some of the most beautiful views anywhere in the world. While you are there, drop down to Sausalito for some bayfront seafood!

Harry Beanbag
12/5/2007, 08:40 PM
I second all that. As an Okiefornian, I think that road in that photo has some of the most beautiful views anywhere in the world. While you are there, drop down to Sausalito for some bayfront seafood!

Heh, I was an Okiefornian for a few years as well. Another cool spot is Tiburon, a little artsy town northeast of the Golden Gate. There is a pretty good Messican food joint, don't remember the name, but it's right on the water. One 4th of July we sat on the grass behind the restaurant and watched the San Francisco fireworks across the bay. Picture an awesome fireworks display framed on one side by the San Francisco skyline and the other by the Golden Gate bridge. Best fireworks I've ever seen.

Mjcpr
12/5/2007, 08:43 PM
Heh, I was an Okiefornian for a few years as well. Another cool spot is Tiburon, a little artsy town northeast of the Golden Gate. There is a pretty good Messican food joint, don't remember the name, but it's right on the water. One 4th of July we sat on the grass behind the restaurant and watched the San Francisco fireworks across the bay. Picture an awesome fireworks display framed on one side by the San Francisco skyline and the other by the Golden Gate bridge. Best fireworks I've ever seen.

Have you ever been to the ones they do at Lake Tenkiller?

olevetonahill
12/5/2007, 08:44 PM
Your gonna get lost aint ya ?

Newbomb Turk
12/5/2007, 08:44 PM
they have a good messican food joint at Tenkiller?

Mjcpr
12/5/2007, 08:46 PM
they have a good messican food joint at Tenkiller?

Well, Vian.

:D

Harry Beanbag
12/5/2007, 08:46 PM
I was always afraid to go there.

http://www.hysteria-lives.co.uk/hysterialives/graphicsf/terrorattenkiller.gif

Okla-homey
12/5/2007, 09:23 PM
you're flying out there for work and the family is following?

1) HTF can he afford all this danged airline flying around on a 2Lt's pay?

2) I've been around the world, been to fairs in several states, and even seen a lady get done by a donkey in Neuvo Laredo...but I never heard of a guy going on a weekend cross-country and flying his wife and step-kid out to be with him. That ain't a tight leash. That's a flippin' hangmans noose.

Furthermore. That 30 y/o POS T-43 can break. hard. What happens if the sortie cancels? What happens if the weather is below mins at Travis and he has to divert someplace else? sheesh.

olevetonahill
12/5/2007, 09:50 PM
1) HTF can he afford all this danged airline flying around on a 2Lt's pay?

2) I've been around the world, been to fairs in several states, and even seen a lady get done by a donkey in Neuvo Laredo...but I never heard of a guy going on a weekend cross-country and flying his wife and step-kid out to be with him. That ain't a tight leash. That's a flippin' hangmans noose.

Furthermore. That 30 y/o POS T-43 can break. hard. What happens if the sortie cancels? What happens if the weather is below mins at Travis and he has to divert someplace else? sheesh.

Shes rich , why ya think he married the old lady :pop:

Okla-homey
12/5/2007, 09:52 PM
Shes rich , why ya think he married the old lady :pop:

If true, that would explain a great deal.;)

olevetonahill
12/5/2007, 10:00 PM
If true, that would explain a great deal.;)
Only explaine I can think of . :confused:

Lott's Bandana
12/5/2007, 11:13 PM
Along with Tiburon, Marin Headlands and Sausalito, the walk across the GG Bridge is incredible....since this is literally the "warm" season, fleece and a hat'll do ya. Muir Woods is about :15 mins from the Headlands and it has always fascinated me that such a wild and rugged area can be so close to a densely populated area.

I've lived in Marin and Sacramento a great portion of my life...the wine country just had harvest and is really, really off season right now. You can see a lot in one Saturday in the city and Marin.

Take I-80 west to Hwy 37 (Vallejo exit) to Hwy 101 South. Along 37 you'll pass beautiful marshes and wetlands and also Sears Point racetrack. (Inferion)

Take 101 South about 20 miles to the exit just after the Rainbow Tunnel, be in the right lane and signal early, sharp turn. That is the road in the photograph shown earlier. The city, the bridge and Sausalito is all right there for you. The road to Muir Woods is about 3 miles back North on 101 (Sir Francis Drake Blvd), drive west up the hills, can't miss it.

Sorry if this is too much...one Navigator to another!

http://www.quickpicturehost.com/images/qph-1196910386.jpg

http://www.quickpicturehost.com/images/qph-1196910663.jpg

C&CDean
12/6/2007, 12:16 AM
San Francisco is my #1 favorite city to travel to. Couldn't ever live there, but if you get bored in SF, you're gay.