PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

SOONER STEAKER
12/4/2007, 11:33 PM
I have a friend who just got fired from a job becasue of something someone with an ax to grind told his employer who is a hgh school class mate of said emloyer.

My friend, was working his dream job, a job with insurance, 401K, profit sharing and a good salary. He was a great employee and all his so-workers loved him.

He shows up for work on a monday and the boss told him that he had to let him go. The reason, the boss heard a rumor that my friend was a felon and he couldn't have anyone with a felony work for him.

During the interview process, the employer asked if he was a convicted felon and he said NO, because the state of Oklahoma gave him probation and he had not been in trouble since and the state droppped the charge.

My friend, heard through the grapevine that someone with an "AX" to grind told the employer of the instance and that's what got him fired.

I checked out my friend, and there is not a felony on his record.

My friend knows who told the employer and wants to o bodily harm to this individual becasue this person is now telling many people about the supposed felony.

My question is this: is there anything that can be done to the "gossiper" or to the employer who fired my friend on bogus information?

Thanks for our opinions in advance!

JohnnyMack
12/4/2007, 11:42 PM
Get to work with the blowtorch and pliers.....iff'n you catch my drift.

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/4/2007, 11:43 PM
'...chestnuts roasting on an open fahr...'

SoonerTerry
12/4/2007, 11:57 PM
Move on.. everything else will lead to fail

Ike
12/5/2007, 12:08 AM
Has anyone seen my stapler?

olevetonahill
12/5/2007, 12:22 AM
Sounds like some one has a cause of action . Oldan Slo ? Homey ? Lid ? Phil ?
as for the other stuff Peem me :cool:

yermom
12/5/2007, 02:25 AM
sounds like slander... i mean you can fire anyone for anything in OK, i believe. now if they are being fired because of the action that they actually committed, but weren't prosecuted for, i don't really see anything wrong with that.

if they were fired because they were a "felon" due to someone spreading that they were and they weren't actually a felon, i think there might be a case there.

i'd be interested in hearing what one of the shysters has to say about it ;)

Frozen Sooner
12/5/2007, 02:31 AM
1. Yes, your friend has a good tort action against the dude with an axe to grind. He has been slandered.

2. Yes, your friend has a good tort action against the employer. "At will" employment doesn't actually mean that you can be fired on a whim no matter how much employers seem to think it does. If he can show that he was, indeed, a good employee with a history of positive reviews and his termination notice includes a reference to a felony for which he was not convicted-yeah, I'd have to say that if he get that in front of a jury, he's walking away with some cash.

edit: pardon me, I was thinking of Alaska law on point two. In Oklahoma, he's probably screwed. Alaska common law makes exception to "at will" by the doctrine of the covenant of fair dealing.

The Ghost of Joe Morrison
12/6/2007, 02:17 PM
2 questions:

1-Are you or your friend a member of a secret society?
2-Read the Bible, "Vengance is mine. I shall repay."

rufnek05
12/6/2007, 02:22 PM
Take both their asses to court.

Hot Rod
12/6/2007, 02:34 PM
The reason, the boss heard a rumor that my friend was a felon and he couldn't have anyone with a felony work for him.

I'm bothered that the boss didn't check into this, to see if it was valid, but rather took someone's word upon it. They don't sound like much of a boss.

The Ghost of Joe Morrison
12/6/2007, 02:57 PM
Get to work with the blowtorch and pliers.....iff'n you catch my drift.

OR......."2 pieces of pipe & a bicycle chain."

BudSooner
12/6/2007, 06:10 PM
Have someone tell Kid Rock that Tommy Lee was making fun of him and can be found at said employer.

problem solved, and the entertainment can ensue.

StoopTroup
12/6/2007, 07:24 PM
Sometimes....people suck.

TUSooner
12/6/2007, 10:29 PM
It's been a long time since I studied that stuff, , but I'll take a wild stab.
Depending on the state's law:
Looks like a defamation/slander action against the snitch for telling the boss. Damages could include loss of the job & wages, etc. - ouch.

Defamation/slander against the boss for spreading it in the community. Damages - ?

It all depends on what they said, whether it was "false", and whether they knew it was false; the state-of-mind or intent might also be important, depending on what state law requires. If the snitch knew it was false and really intended harm, he could be toast in any jurisdiction, I think.
The boss could say he didn't know it was false and meant no harm, etc.
Calling Perfesser Homey!

Committing a new felony against either, would not advance the cause.

85Sooner
12/6/2007, 10:59 PM
I have a friend who just got fired from a job becasue of something someone with an ax to grind told his employer who is a hgh school class mate of said emloyer.

My friend, was working his dream job, a job with insurance, 401K, profit sharing and a good salary. He was a great employee and all his so-workers loved him.

He shows up for work on a monday and the boss told him that he had to let him go. The reason, the boss heard a rumor that my friend was a felon and he couldn't have anyone with a felony work for him.

During the interview process, the employer asked if he was a convicted felon and he said NO, because the state of Oklahoma gave him probation and he had not been in trouble since and the state droppped the charge.

My friend, heard through the grapevine that someone with an "AX" to grind told the employer of the instance and that's what got him fired.

I checked out my friend, and there is not a felony on his record.

My friend knows who told the employer and wants to o bodily harm to this individual becasue this person is now telling many people about the supposed felony.

My question is this: is there anything that can be done to the "gossiper" or to the employer who fired my friend on bogus information?

Thanks for our opinions in advance!

Can you say MAJOR LAW SUIT against the company and then with that money he can file a civil case against the rumor monger and then the boss who acted on it. He's gonna have a good chunk of change if his lawyers done stick it to him (which they will). BTW wife was HR consultant for major company several years ago and saved them from a few of these.

However that is based on the facts that you spoke of . THere is always more to the story.

Tell him to file for unemplyment. the company will have to defend their decision and go from there. Also tellhi to be careful what he says because his comments can be used against him.HAVE REPRESENTATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck.

OU4LIFE
12/7/2007, 08:33 AM
the Homey/OldNslo signal went up HOURS ago...where is they?

Howzit
12/7/2007, 08:43 AM
'...chestnuts roasting on an open fahr...'

'...waterboard squirtin' up mah nooooose...'