PDA

View Full Version : HDTV Question

SicEmBaylor
12/4/2007, 11:32 PM
I have a question about HDTV. I just bought one, and I'm sitting here amazed at the quality but I'm curious about something....

Wouldn't whatever is being broadcast have to be filmed or "shot" in HD in order to truly have HDTV? I mean...when ABC says they are broadcasting in HD but wouldn't whatever they are broadcasting have to be filmed or shot in HD as well?

JohnnyMack
12/4/2007, 11:40 PM
Nope. Laser beams can turn ANY broadcast into HDTV. They just released Diff'rent Strokes Season 1 on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray actually.

SoonerTerry
12/5/2007, 12:01 AM
Do you have enough money left for XP pro?

Frozen Sooner
12/5/2007, 02:02 AM
I have a question about HDTV. I just bought one, and I'm sitting here amazed at the quality but I'm curious about something....

Wouldn't whatever is being broadcast have to be filmed or "shot" in HD in order to truly have HDTV? I mean...when ABC says they are broadcasting in HD but wouldn't whatever they are broadcasting have to be filmed or shot in HD as well?

1. Anything filmed 35mm or better can be significantly improved by high definition vs. standard definition. Decent-quality film is much more detailed than even high definition can resolve. Therefore, you can get Knight Rider on UHD and it looks pretty good. Star Trek:TOS looks very good on HD DVD.

2. Anything shot on standard-definition video isn't going to be noticeably improved by being broadcast in HD. That includes stuff that was shot on film but then mastered on video for special effects-which is why we'll never see Buffy on HD DVD or BD.