PDA

View Full Version : Paul Smith

SteelClip49
12/4/2007, 06:34 PM
54 TDs with 45 of them or so being passing and has thrown for over 4700 yards (2nd to Harrell of TTU). Should Smith be considered and go to NYC??

KHS Sooner
12/4/2007, 06:41 PM
Ah, I think he should get a little attention. I don't think that he will go to NYC though.

SteelClip49
12/4/2007, 07:03 PM
The Heisman award is just not worth anything anymore because you will never see the award go to someone from a mid-major ever again, imo. The last player to win from a mid-major was Ty Detmer in 1990 and what is now a mid-major Andre Ware in 1989. Hell, a few times in the 90s, non 1A players were considered for the Heisman (ex: Steve McNair, Alcorn State).

bri
12/4/2007, 07:07 PM
Paul is a more deserving Heisman candidate than Colt Brennan. All season long, Paul was keeping Sammy company in the top five nationally in passing effecienty. Brennan, meanwhile, was routinely tossing five touchdowns and four picks every game.

badger
12/4/2007, 07:10 PM
Well... now that you mention it, he IS up for the academic Heisman... him and his 3.84 GPA :D

Sooner_Havok
12/4/2007, 07:13 PM
Does he deserve at least a mention...Yes, will he receive even one last place vote, no. The Heisman is a popularity contest, and folks, Tulsa isn't popular.

bri
12/4/2007, 07:19 PM
Neither is Hawaii, but ESPN was able to make them popular enough to get them in the BCS and Brennan's name on the Heisman ballot.

I think it's time to just blow up the entire system, from the bowls to the awards, and start fresh. Give us a 16-team playoff and only give out awards for offensive and defensive national players of the year in addition to coach of the year. This season is just one glaring example of why the status quo is broken beyond repait.

Sooner_Havok
12/4/2007, 07:33 PM
Neither is Hawaii, but ESPN was able to make them popular enough to get them in the BCS and Brennan's name on the Heisman ballot.

I think it's time to just blow up the entire system, from the bowls to the awards, and start fresh. Give us a 16-team playoff and only give out awards for offensive and defensive national players of the year in addition to coach of the year. This season is just one glaring example of why the status quo is broken beyond repait.

Hawaii is undefeated. Even with that, Brennan will be the 5th place guy in NYC, he will be the "also ran" guy. If a mid-major threw for 5,000 yards, tossed 60 tds, 5 ints, and ran for 1,000 yards, he would finish second to the USC, Florida, or tOSU, quarterback with half the stats. That is just the way it is. No mid-major player will every hold the Heisman again.

Boomer.....
12/4/2007, 07:40 PM
I think that he should be getting some consideration. It was announced today that he won the Wuerffel Trophy.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=071204_2__Tulsa83574

douxpaysan
12/4/2007, 07:48 PM
How did we miss this guy?? :confused: :confused: Probably would have started for us the last two years. Oh well, Paul and Sammy have been special too.

TXBOOMER
12/4/2007, 07:50 PM
Who ever wins it needs to send AD a Thank You card for turning pro. LSU also needs to do that.

KHS Sooner
12/4/2007, 07:51 PM
Who ever wins it needs to send AD a Thank You card for turning pro. LSU also needs to do that.

AD would have been crazy this year, just look what he has done so far in the NFL. I see Hall Of Fame in his future.

douxpaysan
12/4/2007, 08:35 PM
Being referred to as the "Purple Jesus". He is indeed working miracles and I still believe made the best of his chances and OUrs. He continues to be recruiting gold for the Sooners.