PDA

View Full Version : Les Miles Black Recruiting Tactics-Detroit Free P.

The VIIIth
12/4/2007, 05:51 PM
Detroit paper

Saturday, December 01, 2007
Michigan Camp Remains Split Over Miles

Although the Michigan job is Les Miles' to lose, the Louisiana State coach is far from a unanimous choice among ranking members of the Wolverine community.

As we told you Tuesday, Miles is said to have used questionable tactics to recruit against Lloyd Carr in recent years.

Carr is believed to be stepping down because he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, perhaps as early as 2001. Through medication, Carr has been able to function normally, but Miles found out and was aggressive in telling recruits about Carr's condition and impending retirement. Carr, of course, heard about this and the relationship between the men deteriorated.

Not surprisingly, Carr has yet to endorse Miles' candidacy. Writes Drew Sharp of the Detroit Free Press:

"And the longer Carr goes without officially endorsing Miles, the more obvious it becomes that he has issues with the LSU coach becoming his successor.

"Carr has denied publicly having any preconceived reservations regarding any potential candidates. But that doesn't stop the speculation that perhaps Carr wonders about Miles' recruiting practices in that nest of nefarious conduct — the Southeastern Conference with its long history of NCAA trouble, or in his previous job at Oklahoma State."

meoveryouxinfinity
12/4/2007, 05:54 PM
Lol I posted this a while ago when I say Michigan was going to hire Kirk Ferentz. LOL.

The VIIIth
12/4/2007, 05:58 PM
MITCH ALBOM: Les Miles was the wrong coach for a great job
December 2, 2007

BY MITCH ALBOM

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

Good riddance.

Personally, I saw all I needed to see of Les Miles in his hastily called news conference Saturday. He affected a barking, angry tone, hands by his hips, at one point tugging emphatically on his sports coat.

Advertisement

"I'm the head coach at LSU," he declared. "I will be the head coach at LSU. And I have no interest in talking to anybody else.

"I've got a championship game to play, and I'm excited about the opportunity of my damn strong football team to play. ...

"It's unfortunate that I had to address my team with this information this morning."

Right. Stop. So long, Les. We've put up with a lot of baloney this past week in the Michigan coaching search. But getting belligerent about a process he encouraged, he invited -- and he ultimately parlayed into a jackpot?

Sorry. Not swallowing that meatball.

The ugly business of college football

When they say it's not about the money, it's about the money. When they say it's about the school, it's often about the money. When they say it's about the program, the kids, the integrity, it's, well, you know.

Les Miles says he's happy at LSU. He also claims to love his alma mater, Michigan. He should. U-M just made him a rich man. It won't be for coaching the Wolverines, however -- a job so dear to Miles that his employers, in his contract, foresaw the day he might leave for it.

Instead, the LSU Tigers did the old preemptive blitz and tackled their own guy before Michigan could touch him. Hey. That's business. It's hard and cold and nasty and sneaky.

But when Miles acts insulted that he had to deal with this? That's when the curtain comes down. His people did plenty of talking with U-M. If he was so concerned about distraction, he could have said, "I'm not talking contracts with anyone -- and neither are my people -- until after Saturday. And that includes LSU."

Instead, he allowed the drama to play out -- up to several hours before kickoff.

"He never wanted to go to Michigan," LSU athletic director Skip Bertman said.

Don't be so sure, Skip. Maybe it was that fat contract you waved.

The light at the end of the Big House tunnel

Meanwhile, don't cry for U-M. It will be fine. This is an elite program, a huge school, kids want to play there, and its tradition will attract a great candidate. If you've been happy with the past 40 years of U-M football, remember, Bo Schembechler was a nobody when hired, Gary Moeller only got the job because Bo pushed him for it, and Lloyd Carr was thrust into it when Moeller was abruptly fired for a public incident.

Someone good will wear that whistle. In the interim, maybe those people whispering that Miles was a bad choice were onto something. This is a guy who was bought out of his contract at Oklahoma State and would have to come up with a $1.25-million buyout had U-M taken him from Baton Rouge.

If U-M were truly his dream job, it wouldn't have hinged on money. He could have told LSU he wanted to explore Michigan, and if it didn't work out he certainly would have retained his job in Baton Rouge. Instead he grabbed the safest -- and shiniest -- brass ring.

Good riddance. Move on. Les Miles never was a head coach here, he only shadowed the job for a few weeks. Besides, guys who act angry when they are quietly counting their new money aren't guys you're going to miss.

Contact MITCH ALBOM at 313-223-4581 or [email protected].

KHS Sooner
12/4/2007, 06:42 PM
I think everyone already thought he was an ***

badger
12/4/2007, 07:18 PM
I read it as BLACK recruiting tactics as opposed to BLACK RECRUITING tactics.

As in, African-American recruiting, not bad recruiting.

I don't think anything is beneath college football recruiting at this point. Anything to sign a guy.

MichiganSooner
12/4/2007, 08:03 PM
The first article, written by Drew Sharp who is a very negative sports writer in Detroit. The Tigers, Wings, and Pistons can be in the World Series, Stanley Cup Finals and the NBA's final round and he will find something to complain about. And usually he is complaining about stuff that seems so farfetched it is fiction. Mitch's article said it all.

arcman46
12/4/2007, 09:25 PM
Can you imagine how fast Les's act would get really tired in a place like Ann Arbor? The man is such a clown, that I wouldn't be surprised if LSUc doesn't run him out on a rail in a couple or three years.

WILBURJIM
12/4/2007, 10:26 PM
The first article, written by Drew Sharp who is a very negative sports writer in Detroit. The Tigers, Wings, and Pistons can be in the World Series, Stanley Cup Finals and the NBA's final round and he will find something to complain about. And usually he is complaining about stuff that seems so farfetched it is fiction. Mitch's article said it all.

Agree with you on Sharp, he's a fine example of a ******rocket.
As far as Albom's article, I would have to say it's an inaccurate run-down of the situation. I will vomit if I type all I know, as it sickens me. Have a nice day.

TUSooner
12/4/2007, 10:37 PM
Agree with you on Sharp, he's a fine example of a ******rocket.
As far as Albom's article, I would have to say it's an inaccurate run-down of the situation. I will vomit if I type all I know, as it sickens me. Have a nice day.
Are you saying Albom is dead wrong, or that he only knows the half of it?

I always questioned whether Miles was Michigan's type.

bluedogok
12/4/2007, 10:41 PM
UM is a bit too "button-down" for Miles's schtick, it would get old quickly there. They like their coaches like they like their food, bland and starchy. While the Cajun media licks his feet the Detroit media would have him roasting on a spit.

TUSooner
12/4/2007, 10:46 PM
UM is a bit too "button-down" for Miles's schtick, it would get old quickly there. They like their coaches like they like their food, bland and starchy. While the Cajun media licks his feet the Detroit media would have him roasting on a spit.

Nice use of "schtick" - that's exactly what it is. But these coonasses slobber all over the guy, because they don't see bull**** as altogther bad.

bluedogok
12/4/2007, 10:53 PM
Well, they did vote Edwin Edwards in as Governor a couple of times, one time I think he was under indictment for something and they still voted him in. Then there is Huey P. Long......they aren't exactly known for the best of decisions.

TexasEx4OU
12/4/2007, 11:11 PM
Well, they did vote Edwin Edwards in as Governor a couple of times, one time I think he was under indictment for something and they still voted him in. Then there is Huey P. Long......they aren't exactly known for the best of decisions.

David Duke comes to mind...

LSUdeek
12/5/2007, 12:03 AM
Detroit paper

Saturday, December 01, 2007
Michigan Camp Remains Split Over Miles

Although the Michigan job is Les Miles' to lose, the Louisiana State coach is far from a unanimous choice among ranking members of the Wolverine community.

As we told you Tuesday, Miles is said to have used questionable tactics to recruit against Lloyd Carr in recent years.

Carr is believed to be stepping down because he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, perhaps as early as 2001. Through medication, Carr has been able to function normally, but Miles found out and was aggressive in telling recruits about Carr's condition and impending retirement. Carr, of course, heard about this and the relationship between the men deteriorated.

Not surprisingly, Carr has yet to endorse Miles' candidacy. Writes Drew Sharp of the Detroit Free Press:

"And the longer Carr goes without officially endorsing Miles, the more obvious it becomes that he has issues with the LSU coach becoming his successor.

"Carr has denied publicly having any preconceived reservations regarding any potential candidates. But that doesn't stop the speculation that perhaps Carr wonders about Miles' recruiting practices in that nest of nefarious conduct — the Southeastern Conference with its long history of NCAA trouble, or in his previous job at Oklahoma State."

I'm unsure about Parkinson's disease, but I'm definitely aware of one Louisiana recruit who committed to Michigan in 2006 but decided to stay home and go to LSU so he could be with his 2 year old son. Bo S. called Les up and told him not to accept the commit "because it isn't what a Michigan man would do". :rolleyes:

47straight
12/5/2007, 12:15 AM
I'm unsure about Parkinson's disease, but I'm definitely aware of one Louisiana recruit who committed to Michigan in 2006 but decided to stay home and go to LSU so he could be with his 2 year old son. Bo S. called Les up and told him not to accept the commit "because it isn't what a Michigan man would do". :rolleyes:

And I'm unsure about your little story.

BudSooner
12/5/2007, 09:40 AM
Mitch's story is dead balls on. Angry man counting his new money......great line.

WILBURJIM
12/5/2007, 09:46 AM
Mitch is sailing with Bill Martin on this, yet, somehow he's missed the boat.

MICHAEL ROSENBERG

EXCLUSIVE: When Miles needed assurance, where was U-M's athletic director?
December 5, 2007

BY MICHAEL ROSENBERG

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

Last Friday evening, word filtered back to Ann Arbor: Louisiana State was trying to sign football coach Les Miles to a huge extension.

Miles was widely believed to prefer the Michigan job. He had sent signals through back channels for weeks, and he knew the terms of a pending five-year Michigan offer.

Advertisement

But now he needed to know, for sure, that he was Michigan's man.

As I wrote in Sunday's Free Press, U-M athletic director Bill Martin could not provide that assurance. I now know that was only part of the story.

Martin did not even tell Miles' representatives to hang on and wait until their Sunday or Monday interview.

He didn't tell Miles, or anybody else, anything.

Multiple people at U-M have told the Free Press that Martin was nowhere to be found. Several people tried to reach him, in pretty much every way. They all struck out.

We live in the era of constant communication: cell phones, text messaging, e-mails, BlackBerries, Sidekicks, iPhones. There are 50 ways to find your lover.

Yet nobody could find Bill Martin. He was unreachable.

One person familiar with what happened said Martin was in Florida. A database search found an address for a William C. and Sally Martin in Key Largo, Fla., by the Ocean Reef Club. Another database search showed two other addresses for that William Martin: the U-M athletic director's home in Ann Arbor, and his business, the First Martin Corporation.

Martin is an avid sailor and pilot. This past weekend, the Ocean Reef Club hosted Vintage Weekend, which Forbes magazine has described as "a showcase of the finest automobiles, motor yachts and aircraft."

How, on the most important weekend of the year, could the Michigan athletic director simply drop out of contact with everybody?

I attempted to reach Martin on Tuesday, but a U-M spokesman said he was unavailable. (Martin was in New York for the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame induction banquet.)

So we can only search for explanations.

• EXPLANATION NO. 1: Martin blew it.

Hey, it's possible Martin just flaked out. Maybe he naively assumed LSU would wait until after Saturday's SEC championship game to offer Miles an extension, and he never imagined that LSU would make a take-it-or-leave-it offer to a highly successful coach.

Miles had sent every possible signal that he wanted the Michigan job, short of dressing his LSU team in winged helmets. Maybe Martin figured Miles would never sign an extension without talking to Michigan, and so the athletic director went sailing. Maybe.

• EXPLANATION NO. 2: Martin knew exactly what he was doing.

There was a growing movement at Michigan to stop Miles from getting this job. Fans pin this on Lloyd Carr, whose aversion to Miles is widely known. But Carr is definitely not the only person who thinks Miles is a bad fit for Michigan.

Through intermediaries, the Free Press learned through multiple sources in the Michigan and the Miles camps, U-M had gone way down the line with Miles -- to the point where contract length and terms were no longer an issue and discussion had moved to his staff. From all indications, Martin had pinpointed Miles as his guy early. Right up until Saturday's announcement that Miles was staying at LSU, many people at Michigan believed Miles was still Martin's guy.

But what if he wavered? What if he started to think the anti-Miles crowd might have a point?

In this scenario, Martin could have found an out. He could have ducked away, forced Miles to stay at LSU and made it look like Miles' choice.

Yes, it sounds crazy. But here is the evidence to back it up: After LSU won the SEC title, Martin had a chance to interview Miles. After all, permission already had been granted. Miles had agreed to his extension but hadn't signed it. Friends of Les insisted that his interest in Michigan had been sincere.

And what did Martin do?

He made a half-hearted call to Miles' agent Sunday.

Then Martin released a statement basically saying he tried to contact Miles, but, hey, it wasn't going to work out.

We might never know the real explanation. But we do know this: Les Miles wanted Michigan, and when he needed somebody in authority to say Michigan wanted him, nobody could find the athletic director.

Even now, a lot of Michigan fans and Friends of Les still hold out hope. After all, Miles still hasn't signed his extension. And Michigan has obviously not hired anybody else.

What if Michigan dawdles for the next month -- before the Jan. 7 national championship game between LSU and Ohio State -- interviewing candidates but not offering the job to anybody? Miles could coach LSU to the national championship, then take the U-M job.

If you buy Explanation No. 1 -- that this was a colossal mistake -- then that is still plausible.

But if you believe Explanation No. 2 -- that Martin had joined the anti-Miles crowd, or at least conceded to them -- then you can forget about it. That ship has sailed.

adoniijahsooner
12/5/2007, 03:23 PM
Can you imagine how fast Les's act would get really tired in a place like Ann Arbor? The man is such a clown, that I wouldn't be surprised if LSUc doesn't run him out on a rail in a couple or three years.

Lsu will be a 7-4 team next year, and they will be calling for his job. Anyone can win with extreme talent; but with half of the defense gone and hester and flynn leaving it will be interesting to see how it plays.

Bccajun
12/5/2007, 09:13 PM

bluedogok,

If Edwards could get his name on the list they would vote him in again. They still love the man down here.

The more you can steal from the people the more they like you. I do not understand them.

LSUdeek
12/5/2007, 09:51 PM
Lsu will be a 7-4 team next year, and they will be calling for his job. Anyone can win with extreme talent; but with half of the defense gone and hester and flynn leaving it will be interesting to see how it plays.

This post is hilarious. We are the most criticized team in the country for starting Hester at RB with the Rivals 100 players behind him, and the inaccurate passer Flynn with the #1 recruit Perriloux behind him.

Just read some posts on your board there, slick.

LSUdeek
12/5/2007, 09:55 PM
And I'm unsure about your little story.

Jai Eugene

http://michigan.scout.com/2/494824.html

HopeSpringsEternal
12/6/2007, 07:39 AM
Lester is a man afraid of his own shadow. I wouldn't be surprised if he cries himself to sleep at night because he's worried someone will see him for what he is. A frightened child in a mans body. Anyone that is immature enough to prattle on about being undefeated in regulation, yell at female reporters, and make the kind of schoolboy tough guy faces this colossal moron makes is bound to **** himself in the end. He can't help it. He's a house of cards waiting on a stiff breeze so he can collapse into a ball of useless sobbing chicken ****. I can not stress enough how big of a d-bag this cockroach truly is.

Desert Sapper
12/6/2007, 09:39 AM
I will vomit if I type all I know, as it sickens me.

Every time I think about Les Miles I throw up in my mouth a little, as he sickens me.

But do tell. What other info might you be privy to?

MextheBulldog
12/6/2007, 07:54 PM
Someone on the inside clearly did not want Lester at UM. Hence the 'news release' to espn and Herbstreit.

And I do know several lsu fans who were on the fence about him leaving. It's not like they love the man down in Baton Rouge. Should be interesting to see how things play out down there. If Lsu chokes it up in the MNC game....

Scott D
12/6/2007, 08:47 PM
Rumor starting up here in Detroit now is that Kirk Herbstreit's "reliable source" was one Leslie Edwin Miles. Supposedly he was miffed about being 'a candidate' and not 'the candidate'.

Ironically, he reportedly didn't change the amount of the buyout in his contract to leave for Michigan.

LSUdeek
12/6/2007, 09:33 PM
Lester is a man afraid of his own shadow. I wouldn't be surprised if he cries himself to sleep at night because he's worried someone will see him for what he is. A frightened child in a mans body. Anyone that is immature enough to prattle on about being undefeated in regulation, yell at female reporters, and make the kind of schoolboy tough guy faces this colossal moron makes is bound to **** himself in the end. He can't help it. He's a house of cards waiting on a stiff breeze so he can collapse into a ball of useless sobbing chicken ****. I can not stress enough how big of a d-bag this cockroach truly is.

This is the worst post I've ever read. It says a lot about your reputation on this board.

Stitch Face
12/6/2007, 09:36 PM
This is the worst post I've ever read. It says a lot about your reputation on this board.

To be fair, Miles is a pretty big d-bag who makes funny faces. Just sayin'.

LSUdeek
12/6/2007, 09:40 PM
To be fair, Miles is a pretty big d-bag who makes funny faces. Just sayin'.
I'll buy that in one sentence. We aren't exactly all happy with his public speaking skills down here.

47straight
12/6/2007, 09:54 PM
Jai Eugene

http://michigan.scout.com/2/494824.html

Sadly, the article mentions nothing about a phone call. But I thought it was a very lovely story. You tell it so well.... with such enthusiam!

LSUdeek
12/6/2007, 11:56 PM
Sadly, the article mentions nothing about a phone call. But I thought it was a very lovely story. You tell it so well.... with such enthusiam!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21536408/page/2/

In Jan. 2006, Jai Eugene, a gifted defensive back from St. Rose, La., committed to Michigan on national television. A week later, Miles the Michigan Man turned Eugene back to LSU prompting a temper tantrum from Schembechler. The legendary coach, who died in 2006, called Miles from the UM football office and blasted his former assistant coach for not honoring Eugene’s commitment to Michigan. He told Miles it was not the way a Michigan Man would behave and then he hung up on Miles.

HopeSpringsEternal
12/7/2007, 12:38 AM

And yet you have no retort for anything I said. That says a lot about the state of public education in Louisiana and how much you dangle from the nut sack of mediocrity. The very fact you think you need to come on an OU, BigXII conference board and constantly grovel about how mean and rough the SEC is and about how much you'd have Lester's babies if you could, leaves me wondering if your self-esteem is showing. And the only reason it's the worst post you've ever read is because way down deep inside you know it's true. Feel free to take that out on some poor helpless female just like your hero. Just run out into the street and tower over one and shout her down with stupid moronic tough guy speeches! That'll make you a MAN!! And you don't even need to be 40.

MissouriSooner
12/7/2007, 12:47 AM
Funny how things change. I recall when Les first arrived at LSU, everyone - including the LSU message board posters - were making fun of his deer-in-the-headlights sideline demeanor, in-ear headsets, and his unorthodox use of timeouts and other non-strategic coaching tactics. His first year, with JRussell at QB went pretty well; his second year, questionable calls late in games, two losses, one to an unranked Arkansas team. It will be interesting to see how he fares with the LSU faithful after next year if results again are not up to LSU standards [it's doubtful that a two-loss team will again back into the NC game]. Les is an egomaniacal windbag who embarrasses himself more often than not when he speaks publicly. That, more than anything else, likely explains why Michigan said no thanks.

MissouriSooner
12/7/2007, 12:49 AM
And yet you have no retort for anything I said. That says a lot about the state of public education in Louisiana and how much you dangle from the nut sack of mediocrity. The very fact you think you need to come on an OU, BigXII conference board and constantly grovel about how mean and rough the SEC is and about how much you'd have Lester's babies if you could, leaves me wondering if your self-esteem is showing. And the only reason it's the worst post you've ever read is because way down deep inside you know it's true. Feel free to take that out on some poor helpless female just like your hero. Just run out into the street and tower over one and shout her down with stupid moronic tough guy speeches! That'll make you a MAN!! And you don't even need to be 40.

Well said.

Stitch Face
12/7/2007, 01:06 AM
Well said.

Especially the part about dangling from the nutsack of mediocrity. Pure poetry.

John Donne, I think.

Desert Sapper
12/7/2007, 08:58 AM
Especially the part about dangling from the nutsack of mediocrity. Pure poetry.

John Donne, I think.

I thought it was either Chaucer or Milton that covered mediocre nutsacks.

LSUdeek
12/7/2007, 08:33 PM

I've been here since 2003. Ignore list updated.

LSUdeek
12/7/2007, 08:34 PM
Funny how things change. I recall when Les first arrived at LSU, everyone - including the LSU message board posters - were making fun of his deer-in-the-headlights sideline demeanor, in-ear headsets, and his unorthodox use of timeouts and other non-strategic coaching tactics. His first year, with JRussell at QB went pretty well; his second year, questionable calls late in games, two losses, one to an unranked Arkansas team. It will be interesting to see how he fares with the LSU faithful after next year if results again are not up to LSU standards [it's doubtful that a two-loss team will again back into the NC game]. Les is an egomaniacal windbag who embarrasses himself more often than not when he speaks publicly. That, more than anything else, likely explains why Michigan said no thanks.

We didn't lose to Arkansas in his second year, it was his 3rd year. I don't know why Michigan said "no thanks", but you might be right. There is still going to be a contingent of fans down here that think of him as you do.

I'll hang my hat on 33-6.

47straight
12/9/2007, 10:57 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21536408/page/2/

Deek. It still doesn't say what you wanted it to say.

"Bo S. called Les up and told him not to accept the commit "because it isn't what a Michigan man would do".

LSUdeek
12/9/2007, 11:29 PM
Deek. It still doesn't say what you wanted it to say.

"Bo S. called Les up and told him not to accept the commit "because it isn't what a Michigan man would do".

"not to accept"... "blasted him for doing it"...

Regardless of the

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g24/andrewsk/Artistical_Straw.jpg

above, you still thought I made up the whole story.