PDA

View Full Version : New Coach on the Staff???

southern sooner
12/4/2007, 03:53 PM
Did we just hire the OC that was at Tulsa, the guy that was at Arkansas and prior to that the HS coach? Just hearing some buzz down here in Dallas.. If so is this a replacemeent in losing Sumlin?

batonrougesooner
12/4/2007, 03:56 PM
When did we lose Sumlin?

This is news to me.

mdklatt
12/4/2007, 03:56 PM
Did we just hire the OC that was at Tulsa, the guy that was at Arkansas and prior to that the HS coach?

Is that the guy that tagged along with Mitch Mustake to Arkansas? Do we want him?

jccouger
12/4/2007, 03:58 PM
He is a good coordinator though. I haven't heard anything about this.

Paperclip
12/4/2007, 04:07 PM
His name is Gus Malzahn and I've heard he's a candidate for the Arkansas HC job.

The_Red_Patriot
12/4/2007, 04:18 PM
He is a good coordinator though. I haven't heard anything about this.

ehhh.. not really

If you really want to kill your defense.

Not a fan of the no huddle/hurry offense

Octavian
12/4/2007, 04:22 PM
Did we just hire the OC that was at Tulsa, the guy that was at Arkansas and prior to that the HS coach? Just hearing some buzz down here in Dallas.. If so is this a replacemeent in losing Sumlin?

Losing Sumlin and bringing in Malzahan? What's the source of this "buzz" coming from Dallas?

Malzahn's philosophy doesn't match Bob's offensive preference for balance and a hard-nosed running game.

Not saying he's a bad coach, but I'd be shocked if he came to Norman.

KHS Sooner
12/4/2007, 04:25 PM
I will believe it after we actually lose Sumlin.

OUinFLA
12/4/2007, 04:37 PM
the only buzz I ever knew about in Dallas was the "Dallas Lunch Club" before they got around to eating.

Widescreen
12/4/2007, 04:51 PM
the only buzz I ever knew about in Dallas was the "Dallas Lunch Club" before they got around to eating.
I'll have you know that I've yet to see anyone completely pass out at one of the lunches. :eddie:

Collier11
12/4/2007, 04:53 PM
Is that the guy that tagged along with Mitch Mustake to Arkansas? Do we want him?

he wouldnt be OC so i say yes!!! Have you seen the numbers that his teams have put up? He would be a good replacement and a good recruiter from what i hear.

KHS Sooner
12/4/2007, 05:03 PM
His name is Gus Malzahn and I've heard he's a candidate for the Arkansas HC job.

If Arkansas wants him as a Head Coach, then he must be doing something right.

cvsooner
12/4/2007, 05:10 PM
He is a "legendary" Arkansas High School coach, according to collegefootballtalk.com, which is a really good blog, by the way.

cvsooner
12/4/2007, 05:12 PM
Speaking of the blog, it's saying Tommy Bowden might be the next Arkansas coach:

TOMMY BOWDEN TO ARKANSAS?

Phillip Marshall of the Huntsville Times reports that Clemson coach Tommy Bowden "could be at or near the top of the list of candidates" for the head coaching job at Arkansas.

Whether that means Arkansas has given up on Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville is unknown, but it's clear that previous reports that Arkansas and Tuberville had reached an agreement were somewhere between grossly premature and completely wrong.

Meanwhile, Joe Schad of ESPN reported that Arkansas is also considering Michigan defensive coordinator Ron English and Tulsa offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn. Malzahn, of course, is a legendary Arkansas high school coach who spent 2006 as the offensive coordinator at Arkansas.

Harry Beanbag
12/4/2007, 05:13 PM
The only "buzz" I've heard about Gus is that Greg Davis was going to retire and Mack was going to hire him. Just message board crap though, I didn't really believe it or anything.

Harry Beanbag
12/4/2007, 05:14 PM
Speaking of the blog, it's saying Tommy Bowden might be the next Arkansas coach:

TOMMY BOWDEN TO ARKANSAS?

Phillip Marshall of the Huntsville Times reports that Clemson coach Tommy Bowden "could be at or near the top of the list of candidates" for the head coaching job at Arkansas.

Whether that means Arkansas has given up on Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville is unknown, but it's clear that previous reports that Arkansas and Tuberville had reached an agreement were somewhere between grossly premature and completely wrong.

Meanwhile, Joe Schad of ESPN reported that Arkansas is also considering Michigan defensive coordinator Ron English and Tulsa offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn. Malzahn, of course, is a legendary Arkansas high school coach who spent 2006 as the offensive coordinator at Arkansas.

According to the radio, Tommy Bowden just signed an extension at Clemson today.

The Maestro
12/4/2007, 05:21 PM
The only "buzz" I've heard about Gus is that Greg Davis was going to retire and Mack was going to hire him. Just message board crap though, I didn't really believe it or anything.

Boy, if that were true...Greg to Gus is like going from a turtle to a corvette.

TUSooner
12/4/2007, 05:32 PM
I went to one of those once.
I suspected they were holding out on me, the bastages. :mad:

cvsooner
12/4/2007, 05:33 PM
I'm starting to think certain coaches are using interest in them to get a better deal out of their school.

Frozen Sooner
12/4/2007, 05:58 PM
Malzahn is an extremely creative offensive coordinator. He's the guy that came up with a lot of the stuff that got Darren McFadden into the Heisman race last year (aside from McFadden's undeniable talent, of course.) I loved a lot of the stuff he was running on us in Tulsa this year-lots of fake reverses and receiver stacks. Our guys were pretty confused a lot of the game.

southern sooner
12/4/2007, 06:05 PM
I heard he is going to be in Norman and had no interest in interviewing for the HC at Arkansas.

OUinFLA
12/4/2007, 06:14 PM
I'm starting to think certain coaches are using interest in them to get a better deal out of their school.

wow, ya think?

:D

KingDavid
12/4/2007, 06:14 PM
I heard he is going to be in Norman and had no interest in interviewing for the HC at Arkansas.

Please, something of substance. I beg you.

OUinFLA
12/4/2007, 06:15 PM
I have heard nothing about this guy down here in Florida.

Then again, Ive been working a lot lately.

starrca23
12/4/2007, 06:24 PM
He could just be an assistant coach for us if there is any truth to this at all. I would think that an assistant at OU would be a better job and pay more than the TU coordinator gig.

Octavian
12/4/2007, 06:25 PM

What's the specific source you're hearing it from?

"I heard...." and "The buzz is...." = message board rumor

Gotta name a specific source considering you're the only one who is hearing this.

sozo
12/4/2007, 06:43 PM

You have no idea what your talking about in that situation.Malzhan and Mustain were the good guys in that deal!He is a very smart coach but I agree that Stoops wouldn't put his total package in and he wouldn't lie to him like Nutt did.

mdklatt
12/4/2007, 06:45 PM
You have no idea what your talking about in that situation.

Could be. :D

southern sooner
12/4/2007, 07:22 PM
Heard it via family member of the guy that he was in Norman and loved the staff and was on board already just waiting for it to be public. Guess we will see, however; I have never posted a rumor on here before so no into tossing out BS.

KHS Sooner
12/4/2007, 07:24 PM
Anybody know how good of a recruiter he is and how good of a coach?

Mjcpr
12/4/2007, 07:26 PM
Anybody know how good of a recruiter he is and how good of a coach?

Hard to say, he was coaching high school 2 years ago.

I call BS.

KHS Sooner
12/4/2007, 07:29 PM

I call BS.

:eek: Hopefully Bob knows what he is doing.

BudSooner
12/4/2007, 07:31 PM
I've not seen anything of substance on any boards, news sites, about Gus resigning....though that seems to be the consensus on all the Hog boards(SNORT!)but that would probably stem from the fact that he has a HUGE following in Springdale following his stint there as one of the most successful coaches there in HS history.

BS, its as stupid a rumor as Butch Davis/Steve Spurrier/Tuberville to Arky..no coach with a functioning brain is gonna step into that place knowing that the fans will expect a MNC NOW!
Ain't gonna happen, as far as him coming here? I doubt it, 1yr at Arky,1yr at Tulsa....1 yr at OU? puleeeeeeze, give me someone who wants the job and is willing to invest some time before moving onto the flavor of the month.

At least Wilson has been here long enough to devote some time in the university, unlike other OC's.

i'll shut the **** up now.

mdklatt
12/4/2007, 07:32 PM

I call BS.

Oh yeah? Well Todd Dodge was coaching high school last year and look how well North Texas is doing. Oh wait....

KHS Sooner
12/4/2007, 07:33 PM
Oh yeah? Well Todd Dodge was coaching high school last year and look how well North Texas is doing. Oh wait....

:D But he was undefeated in High School. :D

Sooner_Havok
12/4/2007, 07:35 PM

Yeah, go ask Booger Boy

Stitch Face
Stoops wouldn't put his total package in

Come on, this a family board. Watch your mouth.

mdklatt

Actually, no he wasn't, not even at Southlake. He and Boogers McGee lost a playoff game together in the Alamo Dome. I'm guessing Chase Daniel doesn't want to return to San Antonio any time soon.

KHS Sooner
12/4/2007, 07:37 PM
My bad I'm not an expert on him.

mdklatt
12/4/2007, 07:38 PM
My bad I'm not an expert on him.

Me neither, I just paid attention during the game the other night. ;)

KHS Sooner
12/4/2007, 07:43 PM
Me neither, I just paid attention during the game the other night. ;)

:D

OU-HSV
12/4/2007, 07:47 PM
I haven't heard this. I simply heard on the radio a bit ago that he may be a candidate for the hogs job.
The only way I could imagine OU looking at hiring him is if Kevin Wilson was leaving for some reason.

BudSooner
12/4/2007, 07:52 PM
I haven't heard this. I simply heard on the radio a bit ago that he may be a candidate for the hogs job.
The only way I could imagine OU looking at hiring him is if Kevin Wilson was leaving for some reason.

BINGO! It's funny nobody thought about this, what's the deal did something happen to Kevin anyway? rumors people, just rumors.

southern sooner
12/4/2007, 08:26 PM
Sumlin to ATM

EstablishedSooner1967
12/4/2007, 08:29 PM
Sumlin is out recruiting as we type.... still here!

WhiteRiverSooner
12/4/2007, 09:04 PM
Has anyone seen this?

http://newsok.com/xml/rss/3177165/

Octavian
12/4/2007, 09:23 PM
I feel a neg jihad coming on pretty quickly

KHS Sooner
12/4/2007, 09:27 PM
Has anyone seen this?

I think he will get beat out for the Houston job.

I hope he stays anyway.

snp
12/4/2007, 09:36 PM

Wilson has an interview this week.

And most of the staff was out today - only KW and BV were around. This rumor isn't true.

KHS Sooner
12/4/2007, 09:40 PM

And most of the staff was out today - only KW and BV were around. This rumor isn't true.

Who does Wilson have an interview with?

Big Red Ron
12/4/2007, 09:48 PM
Houston is looking at 71 year old Jack Pardee...SHUT UP!

KHS Sooner
12/4/2007, 09:50 PM
71???:eek:

Big Red Ron
12/4/2007, 09:55 PM
71???:eek:He coache the Houston Oilers when I was a kid.

That's like hiring Smellybourbon.

Paperclip
12/4/2007, 10:11 PM
Has anyone seen this?

Is that former OU assistant Chris Thurmond?

soonerfanlv
12/4/2007, 10:26 PM
Has anyone seen this?

"According to the Chronicle, Houston athletic director Dave Maggard is looking at...Notre Dame offensive coordinator Michael Haywood..."

I didn't know they had an offense to coordinate.
:eek:

bluedogok
12/4/2007, 10:34 PM
Well, Pardee was the coach from 87-89 and is the one who installed the run-n-shoot at Houston, he was the coach there when Andre Ware won the Heisman. He was flirting with 100 points in a few games. He was inducted into The College Football Hall of Fame (http://www.collegefootball.org/famersearch.php?id=50046) in 1986 and coached the Houston Gamblers of the USFL and the Oilers. If they brought him back it would only be a stop gap type of hire, that wouldn't be too smart.

OU-HSV
12/4/2007, 11:57 PM

I haven't heard about Wilson interviewing. What opening is that for??

Widescreen
12/5/2007, 12:13 AM
Maybe he's talking about Chris Wilson?

Saueyman
12/5/2007, 01:34 AM
"According to the Chronicle, Houston athletic director Dave Maggard is looking at...Notre Dame offensive coordinator Michael Haywood..."

I didn't know they had an offense to coordinate.

heh...:pop:

nolesooner1984
12/5/2007, 04:20 PM
bump because I am extremely interested in this topic.

nolesooner1984
12/6/2007, 09:56 AM
I'll bump this again for anyone that has heard anything.

SoonerMom2
12/6/2007, 10:31 AM
Bob Stoops went to NYC after the game in San Antonio. Wilson and Venerables were on Blevins show Sunday night since Bob was in NYC. Coaches are out recruiting this week as well. Few coaches cars at the stadium either when usually there are a lot during the season.

nolesooner1984
12/6/2007, 10:55 AM
Bob Stoops went to NYC after the game in San Antonio. Wilson and Venerables were on Blevins show Sunday night since Bob was in NYC. Coaches are out recruiting this week as well. Few coaches cars at the stadium either when usually there are a lot during the season.

Thanks for the reply...I knew Stoops was out, but I he is back now isn't he? And, maybe he was there to talk to Wilson....our other coach....is interested in maybe another job....so I would imagine that Gus could coach the WR in preparation to being the next OC when Wilson decides to leave. This would give Heupel some more time to be groomed.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/6/2007, 11:11 AM
I figure KW goes next year... sometime between when we win the CCG and play in the NC game.;)

nolesooner1984
12/6/2007, 11:34 AM
I figure KW goes next year... sometime between when we win the CCG and play in the NC game.;)
I think KW would be silly to leave that year that we have SB and he would be a junior that next year....I think KW sticks around for a little while...he still has a lot to prove.

Big Red Ron
12/6/2007, 11:42 AM
I think KW would be silly to leave that year that we have SB and he would be a junior that next year....I think KW sticks around for a little while...he still has a lot to prove.Depends on the jorb.

snp
12/6/2007, 10:33 PM
I'll bump this again for anyone that has heard anything.

Certainly wouldn't mind to have him as an oc if it came down to it.

bluedogok
12/6/2007, 10:56 PM
Since Grobe denied the Hogs, I am having a suspicion that they may just go to Gus. Getting turned down by a few others they may just go to the one they don't think will say no.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/7/2007, 01:17 AM
Since Grobe denied the Hogs, I am having a suspicion that they may just go to Gus. Getting turned down by a few others they may just go to the one they don't think will say no.
The question is, if they do offer it to Gus, will he accept it or turn it down? He may not want to go back to Arkansas after what he had to go through last year and I wouldn't blame him one bit.

bluedogok
12/7/2007, 10:25 PM
Well, that did happen under Nutt and Broyles and both of them are out (or pretty much) out the door. Maybe a new regime would make him think twice about it.

birddog
12/7/2007, 10:48 PM
looks like no one wants the arkansas job. are they becoming baylor? :eek:

BudSooner
12/7/2007, 11:52 PM
The funny thing is when you mention Venables name, they act like "He can't coach defense!" my response is "go ask the former #1 team in the country about that.

Oh I forgot "You may not have a coach by next fall thanks to your rabid fans....coaches are like a fraternity, they do talk and share stories"

No sane man would want to coach there.

TDArkansasOhMy
12/8/2007, 12:43 AM
Well, that did happen under Nutt and Broyles and both of them are out (or pretty much) out the door. Maybe a new regime would make him think twice about it.

New regime? Frank Broyles is still alive isn't he. Nothing has change.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/8/2007, 01:07 AM
New regime? Frank Broyles is still alive isn't he. Nothing has change.
You're right. I've come to that conclusion last night. Arkansas may have a new A.D. and things will be somewhat different, but it's still a classic case of too many cooks spoiling the broth. And J. Frank Broyles, in a way, still has an Emeril-like command in the kitchen.

SoonerMom2
12/8/2007, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the reply...I knew Stoops was out, but I he is back now isn't he? And, maybe he was there to talk to Wilson....our other coach....is interested in maybe another job....so I would imagine that Gus could coach the WR in preparation to being the next OC when Wilson decides to leave. This would give Heupel some more time to be groomed.

He said at his press conference at noon that he just got back in Norman last night because he was also out recruiting and hadn't even had time to review the tape from the Big 12 Championship.