PDA

View Full Version : Playoff: Mack vs. Mike

Lott's Bandana
12/4/2007, 03:01 PM
Actually found on OP and beamed south down I-35:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dallas Morning News article on Mack Brown's and Mike Leach thoughts on a playoff system.

The college football playoff plans offered Monday ranged from Mack Brown's conservative approach to Mike Leach's mammoth overhaul.

The latest unsatisfying conclusion to another regular season prompted more suggestions about revamping the Bowl Championship Series.

Even as Big 12 coaches such as Texas' Brown and Texas Tech's Leach offered their thoughts, they saw no building momentum for change among college presidents and conference commissioners.

Brown, for one, hopes this season serves as a playoff catalyst, even if it involves only four teams.

Last year, he mentioned the difficulty in casting his final USA Today coaches' poll ballot.

"I think it was at least as difficult [this season] because I thought there were four or five capable of playing for a national championship," said Brown, later offering possible considerations.

"Do you vote for the team that played the best last week? Do you vote for the team that is the best at the end of the year? Or do you vote for the team that by the system should be moved up."

Brown also expressed sympathy for teams that were not selected for BCS games, including formerly top-ranked Missouri.

"I think it's unfair for two or three teams," Brown said. "I don't know how you can keep Arizona State out of the BCS. I don't know how you can fall from No. 1 in the country out of the BCS."

As he did Sunday, Missouri coach Gary Pinkel said it wouldn't be appropriate to offer his thoughts on the BCS.

Leach's proposal would solve the problem of worthy teams being excluded. He suggested 32 to 64 teams in a playoff system similar to the lower divisions of college football or high schools.

"The fear would be if they do some little thing like just have some extra game. All that is going to do is perpetuate the problem," Leach said. "I think they need a big one ..."

He said that a Plus One game "would be a complete waste of time."

Leach provided concrete underpinning to his plan. Teams would play 10 regular-season games and have one week off before the playoffs began. Non-playoff teams would fill the void with interdivisional play, a football NIT.

The playoffs would begin with on-campus sites for the first round and then incorporate existing bowl sites afterwards. Under the 64-team format, the champion would play 16 games in a season.

"It works in high school, it works in Division III, it works in Division II, it works in I-AA, it works in the NFL," Leach said. "To me, it's obvious."

Curly Bill
12/4/2007, 03:04 PM
32 or 64 teams? Surely Coach Leach jests. I've not even seen the most ardent playoff supporters on here argue for something like that.

fadada1
12/4/2007, 03:07 PM
i think 64 teams is too much. imo, 8 would be perfect. keep the 4 BCS bowls followed by 2 national semi-final games, and a nat'l championship game. 16 might work, but it still, to me, seems a bit much.

oh, and top 8 teams in the BCS ranking - regardless of conference/number from a conference.

cvsooner
12/4/2007, 05:15 PM
64 teams is what you've got now, playing in all the bowls. Just sayin'...

The Maestro
12/4/2007, 05:19 PM
64 teams is what you've got now, playing in all the bowls. Just sayin'...

True...and there isn't a decent bowl game until January 27th with the Holiday Bowl.

16 or 8 teams is plenty...let the first round be at the home of the higher seed. This isn't rocket science. A team ranked 17th can't bitch...like they want a piece of number one in a playoff.

Well, except for this year and all...

jrsooner
12/4/2007, 06:01 PM
Brown, for one, hopes this season serves as a playoff catalyst, even if it involves only four teams.
Last year, he mentioned the difficulty in casting his final USA Today coaches' poll ballot.
"I think it was at least as difficult [this season] because I thought there were four or five capable of playing for a national championship," said Brown, later offering possible considerations.
"Do you vote for the team that played the best last week? Do you vote for the team that is the best at the end of the year? Or do you vote for the team that by the system should be moved up."Am I the only one who thinks it is funny that Mack can't even fill out a ballot without indecision?

TopDawg
12/4/2007, 07:13 PM
At least it appears he's putting some thought into it, which is more than I can say for a lot of the voters out there.