PDA

View Full Version : So, Did Anybody Know Jeremy Beal Was As Good As He Appears To Be?

FaninAma
12/4/2007, 01:54 PM
With the injuries the DE position looked shakey but this kid has played lites out. He is very quick and seems to be all over the field. His sack of Daniel on Missouri's first drive of the second half was huge.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/4/2007, 02:01 PM
With the injuries the DE position looked shakey but this kid has played lites out. He is very quick and seems to be all over the field. Hi sack of Daniel on Missouri's first drive of the second half was huge.

Honestly I didn't know he would be THIS good. Big time speed. Opposite English next year with our DTs we could have the best DL in the country.

Dan Thompson
12/4/2007, 02:04 PM
Can we say Tommy Harris at TE?

Soonermagik
12/4/2007, 02:10 PM
He certainly had a big game, and I hope he keeps it up.

soonersn2007
12/4/2007, 02:12 PM
The guy showed up big time against Mizzou, I hope it's only a prelude to a great career.

CU Sooner
12/4/2007, 02:16 PM
Not only against miizzou but also played big against Losur. Reminds me of how Jimmy Wilkerson played in the OB against free sneakers u. when he was a freshman.

Lott's Bandana
12/4/2007, 02:22 PM
I thought I was watching Jimbo Elrod.

Love the way he turned into a controlled projectile. Jimbo's speed would knock people over...Beal had the same Mojo goin' in the last two games.

OUmillenium
12/4/2007, 02:30 PM
Nope, Beal played awesome. I think it is because he wears #44!

DrZaius
12/4/2007, 02:59 PM
I have to admit that I was completely blind-sided by this kid. I hope he keeps blinding me!

pweitkem
12/4/2007, 03:06 PM
It takes big ones to wear 44. First game I saw him play I thought, 'who does this kid think he is wearin' 44?' But it's good to see another 44 flying to the football.

sooner_born_1960
12/4/2007, 03:36 PM
I did. :)

WildHorse
12/4/2007, 03:52 PM
You have to give hats off to a guy that didn't expect to play at all. I think he'll get even better with more game time experience.

TexasEx4OU
12/4/2007, 04:01 PM
I had heard rumblings about his potential, but certainly didn't think that he would surface this season. Although I agree with the post above that he also played well vs. OSU, it wasn't for the entire game. Up until about midway through the second quarter, Beal was getting his lunch eaten by Zac Robinson on the zone read. Beal would crash every time. Then a light apparently went on, as he started staying home and, consequently, our D started breaking one off in Robinson's a**.

Beal has been lights out from that moment forward.

BoulderSooner79
12/4/2007, 04:28 PM
I had heard rumblings about his potential, but certainly didn't think that he would surface this season. Although I agree with the post above that he also played well vs. OSU, it wasn't for the entire game. Up until about midway through the second quarter, Beal was getting his lunch eaten by Zac Robinson on the zone read. Beal would crash every time. Then a light apparently went on, as he started staying home and, consequently, our D started breaking one off in Robinson's a**.

Beal has been lights out from that moment forward.

I'm guessing he was doing as the coach wanted. It's pretty common strategy to take away the pitch and force the QB to run. The problem was our LBs were not getting there and Robinson was running pretty well. It was obvious we made half time adjustments. In the CCG on the play where Lofton leveled CD, the end was very close to CD and then took off like a shot to cover the pitch man. It looked odd until Lofton arrived and it was obviously the scheme that was planned.

setem
12/4/2007, 04:32 PM
I have been on the Beal Wagon since day one!

zeke
12/4/2007, 04:41 PM
I noticed #44 during the OSU game and seemed to be all over the place during the Big XII Championship Game. Looks like a STUD.

My son met him sometime earlier in the year and said that he seemed to be a very polite young man.

SoonerinSouthlake
12/4/2007, 04:52 PM
I noticed #44 during the OSU game and seemed to be all over the place during the Big XII Championship Game. Looks like a STUD.

My son met him sometime earlier in the year and said that he seemed to be a very polite young man.

PLEASE forgive my lack of observation and short sense of Sooner History....but has no one worn 44 since BB?

toast
12/4/2007, 05:54 PM
PLEASE forgive my lack of observation and short sense of Sooner History....but has no one worn 44 since BB?

Clint Ingram prior to Beal

TXBOOMER
12/4/2007, 08:23 PM
That was a big time play he made on Chase the other night. I am excited about the prospect of having those book ends next year. Potential to be the best pair in the country. Boomer!

TexasEx4OU
12/4/2007, 09:59 PM
I'm guessing he was doing as the coach wanted. It's pretty common strategy to take away the pitch and force the QB to run. The problem was our LBs were not getting there and Robinson was running pretty well. It was obvious we made half time adjustments. In the CCG on the play where Lofton leveled CD, the end was very close to CD and then took off like a shot to cover the pitch man. It looked odd until Lofton arrived and it was obviously the scheme that was planned.

No offense, but the "zone read" does not involve a "pitch" option. The QB either hands it off the the RB, or keeps it. The key is for the QB to eye the DE. If the DE stays home, the QB hands it off to the RB. If the DE crashes in to cut off the RB, then the QB keeps and scampers around end for several yards. This is what Robinson was doing for several plays in the 1st quarter, as Beal was crashing. When Beal started staying home, that read was no longer available. When Robinson started going with the first option (hand off to the RB), the D-line and our LBs cleaned up...nothing was there. Everything else just fell into place.

So, no...I don't necessarily think he was just doing what the coaches wanted. Hence the reason they were in his grill for the first 1-1/2 quarters.

Big Red Ron
12/4/2007, 10:03 PM
PLEASE forgive my lack of observation and short sense of Sooner History....but has no one worn 44 since BB?To be specific, not in the Big, fast, white dude wearing 44, no there hasn't.

jwlynn64
12/4/2007, 11:09 PM
I have to admit that I was completely blind-sided by this kid. I hope he keeps blinding me!

Judging by your avatar, it might be something else that is blinding you! ;)

bluedogok
12/4/2007, 11:09 PM
From Sooner Stats

1983 - Bosworth, Brian
1984 - Carr, Lydell (89 - Bosworth)
1985 - Bosworth, Brian
1986 - Bosworth, Brian
1987 - None
1988 - Auld, Wade
1989 - Auld, Wade
1990 - Pipkins, Jerome
1991 - Freeman, Mario/Smith, Derrick
1992 - Freeman, Mario/Smith, Derrick
1993 - Freeman, Mario
1994 - Freeman, Mario
1995 - Freeman, Mario
1996 - Ousley, Scott
1997 - Ousley, Scott
1998 - Ousley, Scott
1999 - Ousley, Scott
2000 - None
2001 - Farria, Shawn
2002 - Chambers, Wayne/Farria, Shawn
2003 - Farria, Shawn/Ingram, Clint
2004 - Ingram, Clint
2005 - Ingram, Clint
2006 - Beal, Jeremy
2007 - Beal, Jeremy

jwlynn64
12/4/2007, 11:14 PM
That was a big time play he made on Chase the other night. I am excited about the prospect of having those book ends next year. Potential to be the best pair in the country. Boomer!

Don't forget the buys inside, McCoy and Grainger have been lighting it up as well. If the d-backs continue to play well, the OU D will be awsome.

Who exactly are we losing on D next year?

Jello Biafra
12/4/2007, 11:32 PM
Don't forget the buys inside, McCoy and Grainger have been lighting it up as well. If the d-backs continue to play well, the OU D will be awsome.

a star is definately born on defense in the last two games......

we lose walker, wolfe, dotson, williams, pleasant, baker

McCoy and granger are starting to get to the point of where dusty and tommie were somewhere in their junior campaigns....REQUIRING a double team on nearly every play. the good thing is we are getting this a year or two earlier than with those two. you throw in the dends that redshirted this year and the dtackle rotation, with the youth of the linebacking corps, the front 7 will be tough to get a pass off on.

for what its worth, I personally think we are going to see reed at DE next year and Adrian Taylor at DT giving us more depth at those two positions. they are 258 and 290 respectively right now.

TexasEx4OU
12/4/2007, 11:34 PM

Alonzo Dotson, Marcus Walker, D.J. Wolfe.

For the record, I have thoroughly enjoyed the season that Wolfe has had. For a guy that was much maligned over the previous two years, his play this season has been lights out.

jwlynn64
12/5/2007, 12:33 AM
Isn't this Reggie's 4th year?

Never mind. I was getting him confused with Walker. Didn't he burn his redshirt in the aTm game?

Crucifax Autumn
12/5/2007, 12:45 AM
He's a Junior...though he may have been here 4 years.

BoulderSooner79
12/5/2007, 12:59 AM
No offense, but the "zone read" does not involve a "pitch" option. The QB either hands it off the the RB, or keeps it. The key is for the QB to eye the DE. If the DE stays home, the QB hands it off to the RB. If the DE crashes in to cut off the RB, then the QB keeps and scampers around end for several yards. This is what Robinson was doing for several plays in the 1st quarter, as Beal was crashing. When Beal started staying home, that read was no longer available. When Robinson started going with the first option (hand off to the RB), the D-line and our LBs cleaned up...nothing was there. Everything else just fell into place.

So, no...I don't necessarily think he was just doing what the coaches wanted. Hence the reason they were in his grill for the first 1-1/2 quarters.

Right I was mixing the 2. The MU play was a pitch option. But I have seen defenses force the QB to keep by having the DE crash the RB on a zone read. Of course, it must be coordinated with the rest of the D to then stop the QB. You could well be correct that Beal was messing up. In general, I'd rather have Robinson carry than Savage, but you have to mix it up so the QB can't predict. The thing I really liked about Beal in the OSU game was his tackling. It seemed the LBs and safeties were hitting both Robinson and Savage up high and letting them carry them for 5 yards. Beal would pin the runners legs together and down he would go.

OK2LA
12/5/2007, 01:07 AM
From Sooner Stats
1984 - Carr, Lydell (89 - Bosworth)
1988 - Auld, Wade
1989 - Auld, Wade
1990 - Pipkins, Jerome
1991 - Freeman, Mario/Smith, Derrick
1992 - Freeman, Mario/Smith, Derrick
1993 - Freeman, Mario
1994 - Freeman, Mario
1995 - Freeman, Mario
1996 - Ousley, Scott
1997 - Ousley, Scott
1998 - Ousley, Scott
1999 - Ousley, Scott
2001 - Farria, Shawn
2002 - Chambers, Wayne/Farria, Shawn
2003 - Farria, Shawn/Ingram, Clint
2004 - Ingram, Clint
2005 - Ingram, Clint
2006 - Beal, Jeremy
2007 - Beal, Jeremy

HOW DARE THEY!

Dr. Jelly Finger
12/5/2007, 10:40 AM

The zone read will most definitely include a pitch option against WVU. They will put a guy in motion who will be the pitch man if the rb doesn't get the ball and the DE takes the QB responsibility. Against the sheep aggies, Stoops decided that Robinson was less of a threat than Savage, which I happen to agree with.

MojoRisen
12/5/2007, 01:00 PM
If you had seen Beals highlight reels in HighSchool- you would know that he was a monster. He played MLB in highschool runs a 4-6 fotry and weighs 250++

He is a heat seaking missle and was just in between in size is why he was only a 4 star recruit...

Desert Sapper
12/5/2007, 04:09 PM
He was getting a ton of praise from the coaching staff before the season started. I am a little surprised it has taken this long for him to crack the rotation this season. He looks every bit as good as advertised.

Dr. Jelly Finger
12/5/2007, 04:27 PM
He was getting a ton of praise from the coaching staff before the season started. I am a little surprised it has taken this long for him to crack the rotation this season. He looks every bit as good as advertised.

Agreed. I remember Stoops mentioning several times that Beal looked the best on the defensive side of the ball this summer. Having JB and AE in the opponents' backfield all day will be fun to watch in 2008. Hopefully they will both get into the mix next month out in the desert.