PDA

View Full Version : Best game won't be the biggest game (News Article)

soonerx
12/4/2007, 11:16 AM
My apologies if someone has already posted this.. good read.

BCS breakdown: Best game won't be the biggest game

Yes, yes, we know. This team or that team got hosed by the BCS. What's new?

The reality of the situation is any two-team combination for the BCS national title game is going to be criticized. It's the nature of the season.

From the Backed-in Bowl to Hawaii doing the unthinkable, let's break down the BCS games:

Best game: Fiesta Bowl, Oklahoma vs. West Virginia. It's not even close. Easily the best matchup of the five bowls. Frankly, this game could be the national title game. Think about it: If Pat White is healthy, who really wants a piece of that West Virginia spread option offense? Then there's OU, which had the most impressive win of the season in the Big 12 championship game. I'd take either of these teams against anyone else on a neutral field.

Worst game: Rose Bowl, USC vs. Illinois. Poor Zooker. He finally makes his mark as a coach on the field, and his young, rising team merely has to play the most talented team in the country. The Illinois seniors have never been to a bowl game. The USC seniors have never played in anything other than a BCS bowl game. It's going to get ugly, folks.

Most exciting game: Sugar Bowl, Hawaii vs. Georgia. Two offenses hitting their stride, and two quarterbacks -- Hawaii's Colt Brennan and Georgia's Matt Stafford -- who are going to make a ton of money in the NFL when their respective time comes. Georgia feels like it was snubbed by the BCS; Hawaii is elated to just be there. Georgia should simply overwhelm the Warriors -- just like Oklahoma should've thumped Boise State in last year's Fiesta Bowl.

Bottom line: The Dawgs better figure out how to deal with those multiple option routes from those NFL receivers in the Warriors' run-and-shoot offense, or this will be a fourth-quarter game with both teams in the high 30s.

Most boring game: Orange Bowl, Virginia Tech vs. Kansas. At the very least, the place will be packed - which is what the Orange Bowl desperately wants/needs. I'm guessing less than 40 total points combined. Admit it: You want to know what Kansas will do against a non-Big 12 team in a big game.

Most overrated game: BCS national championship game, Ohio State vs. LSU. Look, I can't get excited about a team that lost to two average SEC teams -- one at home -- and a coach who says his team is undefeated in "regulation."

That's like me saying I should've been valedictorian in college, but apparently, they count calculus, physics, economics and sports journalism classes. Then there's Ohio State. What do we know about the Bucks? They lost one game in regulation.

Matt Hayes is a writer for Sporting News. E-mail him at [email protected]

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=313567

Civicus_Sooner
12/4/2007, 11:22 AM
Pretty well sums up my thoughts.

FaninAma
12/4/2007, 11:26 AM
It will be fun to watch Homer Herbie and Lupy Corso try put lip stick on this pig of a title game.

Civicus_Sooner
12/4/2007, 11:30 AM
What makes me sick is that tOSU will be beaten by the first decent team they played all year and it'll be a two loss team from the SEC and it'll feed the BS that the SEC is the "Toughest Conference in America crap."

This rilly is a lose - lose situation for everyone.

The Maestro
12/4/2007, 11:43 AM
I think people who think the Rose Bowl will be a blowout are wrong. I recall a QB like Juice Williams causing the USC defense some problems in another Rose Bowl.

yermom
12/4/2007, 12:32 PM
oh, i'll be pulling for the Fightin' Zooks, no doubt

NYC Poke
12/4/2007, 12:37 PM
Any chance they cancel the title game due to lack of interest?

Whet
12/4/2007, 12:42 PM
Sometimes, those sports writers get it right! It will be good to see tOSU go down in flames, but not to a SEC team....

The Fiesta Bowl will be the best of the five BCS games..

Thanks for posting the article.

stoopified
12/4/2007, 01:15 PM
Maybe I'm not giving WV enough credit BUT I think that their oneir ground attack will be contained and I don't think they can pass well enough to compensate.I don't look fo the game to be closer than a @ TD spread.That being said if we have penalties and turnovers it could be a tight fit.

arcman46
12/4/2007, 03:48 PM
I don't see WVU keeping up with us; but that is just my opinion

BoulderSooner79
12/4/2007, 04:01 PM
Given my passionate dislike of USC, my favorite match-up the Rose bowl. I get so tired of USC getting a home game against a very over-rated Michigan team and then the press falls all over their greatness when they win big. This year they get an over-match, but properly rated Illini team. The best USC can do is win big as expected. I'm amazed the Rose bowl took Illinois if they had other choices.

soonerinabilene
12/4/2007, 04:06 PM
Look, I can't get excited about a team that lost to two average SEC teams -- one at home -- and a coach who says his team is undefeated in "regulation."

That's like me saying I should've been valedictorian in college, but apparently, they count calculus, physics, economics and sports journalism classes.

heh

Dan Thompson
12/4/2007, 04:50 PM
I thought MizzOU and Arkansas would be a pretty good one.