PDA

View Full Version : Great Post about Sam Bradford...

Collier11
12/4/2007, 12:38 AM
...this is from another board and is by a general poster on the board, completely his write up but I thought it was a Great Read and a Great Representation of SB and OU!

In today's media world of ever-increasing hype, Chase Daniel is a real live wet-dream for ABC, ESPN and the rest.

All the Heisman talk and the chance for Missouri to make it to the big BCS game were reason enough to focus on the Tiger QB. Add in the feisty nature, the face-making, the finger pointing and fist-pumping, the trash-talking both the week before and even during the game, and you have a match made in heaven. Just like the over-hyped Zabransky of last season, the talking sports heads and their lenses are always on the lookout for the most colorful performer, for the rebel who doesn't seem to care how he's perceived. Arrogance and visible swagger are hot commodities when combined with raw talent and an aspiring ballclub. What could be better for the ratings than to have the opportunity to follow such an exhibitionist all the way to the national championship game?

On the opposite sideline, however, the camera always seems to be trained not on the quarterback, but on the head coach. What a drag that must be for the television elite. No team leaders over there throwing their helmets or blaming teammates for their own miscues. Just quiet ol' Sam, catching his breath, consulting with Coach Josh, subtly encouraging and receiving encouragement from the other Sooner players.

"Where's the drama in that? Better hurry the camera back over to Stoopsie, he may be due one of his meltdowns at another blown official's call. Better yet, let's get back to Camera 1 on the Tiger side of the field. Surely our new Golden Boy is chewing somebody out, or pumping his fist at the Tiger faithful in the stands, surely he's doing something worthy of the nation's attention!"

Quietly and efficiently, and with a maturity and grace far beyond his years, Sam Bradford executes with almost flawless precision. He dissects the Tiger D, directs long dream-crushing drives, does what he did almost every time he stepped onto the field this season. He dashes the TV producers' hopes that their carefully orchestrated hype would pay off - that their meticulously crafted story line, calling for a Mizzou victory and quite possibly a last-second Heisman for the spoiled brat across the field, would be realized.

And after it's all over, Sam doesn't seek out the cameras, even though they may finally be seeking him. He probably tries to locate family and old friends among the cheering throng. He undoubtedly does what he's done all year, save two games: he celebrates with the team as a part of the team. And maybe he considers how nice it might be to be the center of attention, but he'd never strive for it like his Tiger counterpart. He knows that some things, like hard-fought team victories, BCS bowl games, and being part of something really special - being part of Sooner Magic and an incredible tradition - are worth much more than the glare of the spotlight.

The sports network hype factories are not worthy of Sam Bradford. He represents a character and composure that are alien to the brash broadcasts of the 21st century.

Bless you and thank you for choosing to be a Sooner, Sam. We appreciate you more than we could ever express. And thank you for being such a class act, even though it may cost you some of the spotlight.

adoniijahsooner
12/4/2007, 12:41 AM
One of the best post I have ever read!!

Curly Bill
12/4/2007, 12:43 AM
Good read. Thanks for posting.

SoonerGirl06
12/4/2007, 12:46 AM
Very eloquent. Too bad only a handful of people will be able to read this.

It should be posted/sent to some media outlet.

cheezyq
12/4/2007, 01:00 AM
My favorite part of this great post:

"He dissects the Tiger D, directs long dream-crushing drives...".

And to think, we could have had the Idiot or Helen Keller leading us this year. :rolleyes:

Sooner_Havok
12/4/2007, 01:01 AM
The cool thing about Sam is, he wants to emulate Coach Heupel. He wants to learn as much as he can from him, everything from how to read a defense, to how to deal with success. Anyone remember Josh yelling at someone for dropping a pass, or motioning for a first down? Nope, Josh showed his emotion twice. Once after beating K-State for the second time, and again after beating FSU.

I think it is great we have a guy like coach Heupel to help develop Sam into not just a great QB, but a great person.

Crucifax Autumn
12/4/2007, 01:12 AM
Very good post and very good view of the difference between our team and theirs.

Jewstin
12/4/2007, 03:57 AM
Mmm, right on the money.

Something about those native Oklahomans. ;) Growing up here, they witness the tradition and importance to the entire state ... being able to be a part of something pretty magical, unlike most other major college football programs in the country.

It's kickin' rad to be a Sooner fan, man.

SoonerTerry
12/4/2007, 06:37 AM
Thats a great read..

07Sooners=Greatness

ruf/nekdad
12/4/2007, 08:00 AM
Sam appears to be a very special guy. Sooner Havoc is correct also in his comments about Josh Heupel. Coach Heupel may be the most under appreciated asset on Owen Field. I think the two of them will keep some opposition coaches awake at night. And when Sam has moved on to bigger (but not necessarily better) things, hopefully Josh will be tuning up another.

soonersn2007
12/4/2007, 08:27 AM
Sam Bradford for President! :D

XFollower
12/4/2007, 08:41 AM
Very cool, thanks Sam!

zeke
12/4/2007, 09:02 AM
Great Post, thanks for sharing it.

Boomer.....
12/4/2007, 10:12 AM
Nice read.

walkoffsooner
12/4/2007, 10:36 AM
Big Easy

Lott's Bandana
12/4/2007, 10:53 AM
Very eloquent. Too bad only a handful of people will be able to read this.

It should be posted/sent to some media outlet.

FWIW SG, I sent it to B. Tramel. Went to H.S. with him and I know he enjoyed it as he has already sent his thanks...

^

Civicus_Sooner
12/4/2007, 10:59 AM
Sam is the man.

A-M
12/4/2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks for sharing such a great read with us all. Having been a sooner for many years, I have seen many a great player like Sam on the field. The team is all of the players and yes, all of the fans. The better the player, the more they understand this fact.

Ash
12/4/2007, 11:10 AM
Nice read. Thanks for sharing, and props to the original poster.

flopshotjoe99
12/4/2007, 11:46 AM
great article.:cool:

OUmillenium
12/4/2007, 11:59 AM
Excellent read!

Thanks!

Sooners, keep passing this around...can't help but aid Bradford in the hunt for the 08 Heisman

Whet
12/4/2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks for sharing!

SoonerObsession
12/4/2007, 12:46 PM
Aside from Bomar, Stoops and company have been able to recruit qb's that exhibit great character and leadership. I'm so proud of Sam, Paul, Jason, Josh, and Nate. All of them have represented what it means to be a Sooner with class and dignity. I hope the coaches can continue to find these types of players in the future, even if it means that the higher profile players go somewhere else.

pweitkem
12/4/2007, 01:17 PM
Wish we wouldn't have used up the nickname Silent Assassin on the Roy Williams. How long before one player is gone can another take his nickname?

texas bandman
12/4/2007, 01:42 PM
Great post. Being from Oklahoma, I think that Sam exemplifies the strong work ethics and humility of Oklahomans in general. Keep up the exemplary work, Sam!

cvsooner
12/4/2007, 01:45 PM
Do you think anybody would like to rethink their Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year and First Team All Big 12 votes after last Saturday?

76soonergrad
12/4/2007, 01:56 PM
Nickname?

How about Sam the Man?

pweitkem
12/4/2007, 02:47 PM
Man Child

KingDavid
12/4/2007, 06:48 PM
Green eggs & Sam.

(Great read, by the way. Thanks!)

Charla
12/4/2007, 08:03 PM
Great post. Being from Oklahoma, I think that Sam exemplifies the strong work ethics and humility of Oklahomans in general. Keep up the exemplary work, Sam!
And someday you might have a beutiful trailerhouse in the country.

texas bandman
12/4/2007, 08:05 PM
And someday you might have a beutiful trailerhouse in the country.

I already do and it's a double-wide, just like me.:P

sanantoniosooner
12/4/2007, 08:16 PM
Nickname?

How about Sam the Man?
Galactus was settled on early in the season. No more votes are accepted.

Leroy Lizard
12/4/2007, 08:29 PM
The five QBs who helped win CCGs under Stoops have all been soft-spoken. Any hot heads we have had never panned out. Maybe an even temperament and humility is what you need in a QB.

goingoneight
12/4/2007, 11:28 PM
Next time we have a hotshot on the field... put him at LB, Stoops. OUr ****-talking linebackers are usually the best ones. :D

A Sooner in Texas
12/4/2007, 11:32 PM
That post was beautifully written and expresses exactly how I feel about the difference between Sam and CD Saturday night. Whoever wrote this must be a sportswriter. Wish it was out in the general public.

And does Sam REALLY need a nickname? Some players are so good they just don't.

SoonerGirl06
12/5/2007, 01:59 AM
And does Sam REALLY need a nickname? Some players are so good they just don't.

I don't see the big deal about trying to give him one either. The name Sam Bradford says it all in my book.

insuranceman_22
12/5/2007, 02:08 AM
Great Post, thanks for sharing it.

Ditto

Crucifax Autumn
12/5/2007, 02:44 AM
I have to agree in part with the no-nickname idea. By mid season next year the entire college football community and much of the general public will know who we're talking about when we just say "Sam".

And while Chase keeps chasing, let's hope Sam keeps leading!

Pieces Hit
12/5/2007, 09:51 AM
His folks seem like nice people too.

TUSooner
12/5/2007, 03:17 PM
Great read.