PDA

View Full Version : Please Read and Respond

boomersooner28
12/3/2007, 07:14 PM
Most of you probably agree with me when I say college football is the best sport going. Until the end of the season. College basketball is boring until, the end of the season, just the opposite. College Basketball has March Madness College that provides sports ecstacy. College football could be the most exciting sport during the entire season and post-season VERY EASILY! Give us a play-off. Whenever there is a problem in sports that nobody is willing to fix, who gets involved? Congress. Do I want to Congress to get involved in college football, not really. BUT, it could be our only option. Somebody needs to put pressure on the Presidents and NCAA to get this thing fixed. It is an esay fix.

P.S. I am not just saying this as an OU homer, but Hawaii deserves a shot. Boise State deserved a shot last year.

usmc-sooner
12/3/2007, 07:23 PM
I like it the way it is.

I don't want a playoff.

Sooner_Havok
12/3/2007, 07:25 PM
dude, every week is like a playoff! That is why LSU got into the BCS title game, everyone else had two losses in the regular season, so they got kicked out of the playoff.

Echoes
12/3/2007, 07:29 PM
I'm sorry guys, but I am pro playoff. Without getting into a huge argument here over all the pro's and con's... which has been done four million times.. its pretty easy to sum up.

Nearly (If not all) every other team sports has a playoff system. There is a reason for this guys. To crown the best team in the country at the end of the season. Plain and simple.

usmc-sooner
12/3/2007, 07:29 PM
if you take the top 8 teams in a 8 team playoff almost half have already played each other.

LSU has already beaten Va Tech
OU has beaten Mizzou twice
Mizzou has already beaten Kansas

usmc-sooner
12/3/2007, 07:31 PM
I'm sorry guys, but I am pro playoff. Without getting into a huge argument here over all the pro's and con's... which has been done four million times.. its pretty easy to sum up.

Nearly (If not all) every other team sports has a playoff system. There is a reason for this guys. To crown the best team in the country at the end of the season. Plain and simple.

OU beat Kansas 3 out of 4 times in 88, yet Kansas was National Champs, College basketball and there playoffs (ie a tournament) is full of the best teams not winning a tournament.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/3/2007, 07:35 PM
Excluding this year, almost every playoff plan I ve seen would have a OU-Texas rematch..

jbstrick
12/3/2007, 07:43 PM
Congress? LOL.

Yeah, I want those fools who manage our government so well to screw this up too.

Echoes
12/3/2007, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I mean you get some rematches... but why does that matter? I don't really understand the point your trying to make with that sir..

I don't have the time or the energy to throw down a huge playoff system and create one up, but it can be done. Trust me. There are people out there who gets payed plenty money to think of things like this.

Even with many of the playoff problems that people think up, it is still a better option. Your worried about not filling up the stadiums? Play in smaller ones. The list goes on and on.

If everyone wanted a playoff system, it would work better then the BCS. I don't know how that can be disputed.

The bottom line is that this year, you have eight teams who have at least a somewhat legitimate claim to be in the National Championship. Four of them should be in the National Championship. I know this season is an outlier, but usually there are at least 1 or 2 teams who get screwed out of it.

Look at it this way: What happens if LSU wins 10-7 in a horrible game played by both teams. 5 turnovers a piece. We win by 40 and completely and utterly dominate. USC wins by 40 and they completely and utterly dominate. Now you have 2 teams who look like they should have been in the game, and 2 teams who looked like they shouldn't have been. Will you still be a bcs fan?

brown town sooner
12/3/2007, 07:45 PM
I don't like the current system and think it is extremely flawed. The problem is that many teams get ranked and stay ranked high each year because of their tradition. If Hawaii had a tradition like USC or OU would they be left out looking in? I'm not saying Hawaii is the best team in the country but at least in a playoff an unbeaten team in the regular season would get a chance to go against teams that may have one or two losses and then we could all see who the "true" national champion is. I don't think the bowl system will ever change...too much money in it for the schools.

Echoes
12/3/2007, 07:51 PM
Your right, tons of money in it for the schools. I think it has less to do with tradition, though. If Hawaii was in the Big 12 they would probably be 6-6 I would say. I know the same thing was said about Boise last year, but this is a different team then Boise. Plus, Boise won one game. Playing across the whole year in a BCS conference all year is different then winning one game against a BCS school. Much much different. Boise probably would have been 8-4 last year in the Big 12. I think if really small schools like that want's to be taken seriously, they need to man up and either schedule a bad *** out of conference schedule or join up with someone.

usmc-sooner
12/3/2007, 07:51 PM
BCS has flaws and playoffs have flaws neither is the perfect system.

OUinFLA
12/3/2007, 08:10 PM
someone should start a thread about the BCS system vs playoffs.

Charla
12/3/2007, 08:16 PM
I wish they would start playing the bowls a little earlier

sanantoniosooner
12/3/2007, 08:24 PM
someone should start a thread about the BCS system vs playoffs.
I'll get right on it after I start a thread making fun of Booger Daniel

XingTheRubicon
12/3/2007, 08:25 PM
plus 1

sanantoniosooner
12/3/2007, 08:27 PM
plus 1
Exactly.

Basically I would go ahead and seed 1-4 and in the top 2 bowl games and play ONE more.

It's the best compromise and pacifies people on both sides. It's the only thing that I could see happening any time soon.

badger
12/3/2007, 08:27 PM
:rolleyes:

Read it, and that's my response.

The system has benefited us many times and this year, it didn't. We had our chance and we blew it -- TWICE! One might argue that LSU also blew their chance twice and tOSU blew it too, but alas, this is the system we have and we have to take the good with the bad in situations like this.

Now, if they want to revise it, fine, but I think the system thus far has worked well for OU.

aero
12/3/2007, 08:53 PM
I have been a proponent of a playoff but I don't think it will ever happen and in recent years I have started thinking D1 college football may be better off without a playoff. I think we are headed toward a +1 and that may be good enough. I think we more often than not get a champion crowned who may be the most representative of the best team of that year. You would be hard pressed to say that about any other sport, college or pro. How many times does the team with the best record or seeded #1 win the NCAA basketball tourney? Baseball, college or pro? How about soccer? Just about all sports. You could even say the best horse doesn't win the Triple Crown. They are great stories, especially when a low seed or wild card wins but how would we feel about college football knowing that we could go undefeated, get into a playoff and lose to a 2 loss team? How about if us and another team went undefeated and we both lost in the playoff and the 8 seed won it all? I for one do not want college football to go that route. We had our chances this year. The current system has worked pretty good. There may have been a year or two that another team, or say even 2 other teams, could argue they were better but I can't remember there ever being a time when 5, 6, or 7 teams could say they were more deserving. And a little arguing only seems to keep us all intrigued.

MichiganSooner
12/3/2007, 09:11 PM
Would like to start an 8-team playoff.
Teams seeded and selected similiar to the basketball selection committee.

A Game: #8 at #1;
B Game: # 7 at #2;
C Game:#6 at #3;
D Game#5 at #4 for the first round.
This round of games would be played this upcoming weekend. Then the guys would go back and get ready for finals and celebrate Christmas with their family.

All 8 teams would advance to the "bcs bowl" sites for round 2 played about Jan 1, Jan 2, and the loser's bracket on Jan 3. ie at Rose, Orange, Fiesta, and Sugar Bowls.

A game winner vs. D game winner.
B game winner vs. C game winner.
A game loser vs. D game loser.
B game loser vs. C game loser.

National Championship about Jan 7/8/9 is the A-D winner vs. the B-C winner at one of the "bcs sites" or some other neutral site, selected similiar to a basketball final four.

Meanwhile, everybody not in the top 8 playoff can play at their bowl games exactly like they do today!!!!!! The bowl system is NOT destroyed!!!!!!!

This would make lots and lots of money; there would still be a Tournament of Roses Parade on January 1; there would still be bowl games for most of the "bowl eligible" teams; there may be some "repeat games" just like there are in basketball. Big deal. And there would be some controversy, just like there is in March Madness. Teams would be mad that they are not in the final 8 just like there are teams mad that they are not in the final 65. Which used to be 64 and before that only 32.

If the seeding committee decided to match this year's final BCS rankings then we would have Kansas at Ohio State; USC at LSU; Missouri at Virginia Tech; and Georgia at OU in first round. These 8 would all go to round 2 as stated above for the "traditional" bowls in Miami, NO, Glendale, and Pasadena. Of course, the seeding committee might place undefeated Hawaii in the 8 team mix as they would be picked by committee not by bcs. I only used this year's bcs final ranks to create the top 8 for an example.

Tell me why it would not work.

StoopTroup
12/3/2007, 09:17 PM
I think OU should be in the MNC every year....

But that's just me. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
12/3/2007, 09:20 PM
Would like to start an 8-team playoff.
Teams seeded and selected similiar to the basketball selection committee.

A Game: #8 at #1;
B Game: # 7 at #2;
C Game:#6 at #3;
D Game#5 at #4 for the first round.
This round of games would be played this upcoming weekend. Then the guys would go back and get ready for finals and celebrate Christmas with their family.

All 8 teams would advance to the "bcs bowl" sites for round 2 played about Jan 1, Jan 2, and the loser's bracket on Jan 3. ie at Rose, Orange, Fiesta, and Sugar Bowls.

A game winner vs. D game winner.
B game winner vs. C game winner.
A game loser vs. D game loser.
B game loser vs. C game loser.

National Championship about Jan 7/8/9 is the A-D winner vs. the B-C winner at one of the "bcs sites" or some other neutral site, selected similiar to a basketball final four.

Meanwhile, everybody not in the top 8 playoff can play at their bowl games exactly like they do today!!!!!! The bowl system is NOT destroyed!!!!!!!

This would make lots and lots of money; there would still be a Tournament of Roses Parade on January 1; there would still be bowl games for most of the "bowl eligible" teams; there may be some "repeat games" just like there are in basketball. Big deal. And there would be some controversy, just like there is in March Madness. Teams would be mad that they are not in the final 8 just like there are teams mad that they are not in the final 65. Which used to be 64 and before that only 32.

If the seeding committee decided to match this year's final BCS rankings then we would have Kansas at Ohio State; USC at LSU; Missouri at Virginia Tech; and Georgia at OU in first round. These 8 would all go to round 2 as stated above for the "traditional" bowls in Miami, NO, Glendale, and Pasadena. Of course, the seeding committee might place undefeated Hawaii in the 8 team mix as they would be picked by committee not by bcs. I only used this year's bcs final ranks to create the top 8 for an example.

Tell me why it would not work.

So Mizzou should possibly get a 3rd game with OU?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/3/2007, 09:21 PM
Yeah, I mean you get some rematches... but why does that matter? I don't really understand the point your trying to make with that sir..

I know that wasnt directed toward me but I ll put my 1 1/2 cents in...And understand this, If they keep the current system, it really doesn't matter to me..If they change it to a playoff, it still doesn't matter to me..I don't have a say so, so I don't really concern myself with it.

Why should OU have to beat Texas again to win a championship? Or like this year, possibly play MU a third time? Plus I like what the regular season means now and to say that wouldn't change with a playoff..I would have to disagree...

Sooner_Bob
12/3/2007, 09:25 PM
BCS has flaws and playoffs have flaws neither is the perfect system.

How would a playoff system be flawed?

Do it like most every state does high school football and I can't see a problem. I'd suggest that Div. I would need to be split into additional divisions, but other than that I really don't understand why people think it would be that hard.

Sooner_Bob
12/3/2007, 09:26 PM
Why should OU have to beat Texas again to win a championship?

I'd compare that to the usual Jenks vs. Union rematch in the State Championship. To win it all you need to beat the best, if that means you have to do it twice so be it. :D

rubyspirit
12/3/2007, 09:29 PM
Football can't be compared to basketball.

Football is too hard and brutal.

No end of season playoff. Too many injuries.

Repeat after me - every game is a playoff.

Be satisfied with a conference championship as a yearly goal.

reevie
12/3/2007, 09:32 PM
March Madness is overrated. The first weekend is the best and has all the excitement (and alot of duds) and wall to wall games. Most of the upsets and Cinderella teams are done after the second round, and those that do survive are living on borrowed time. When was the last time the tournament was won by a team not from a major conference? 1990 - UNLV.

I'm not opposed to a football playoff. I'm just cautious. Be carefull what you wish for.

sanantoniosooner
12/3/2007, 09:34 PM
March Madness is overrated. The first weekend is the best and has all the excitement (and alot of duds) and wall to wall games. Most of the upsets and Cinderella teams are done after the second round, and those that do survive are living on borrowed time. When was the last time the tournament was won by a team not from a major conference? 1990 - UNLV.

I'm not opposed to a football playoff. I'm just cautious. Be carefull what you wish for.
I don't want a playoff, but you are nuts of you think March Madness is over rated.

It's the best post season around, and I like football over basketball any day of the week.

soonersam
12/3/2007, 09:37 PM
I like it the way it is.

I don't want a playoff.

"I like it the way it is"
Thats what I said when my bank offered me online statements.
You're going to make a great old man!!!!

Dan Thompson
12/3/2007, 09:44 PM
Has the BCS been better than the previous system?

I think all schools should have a conference championship game. Those winners would play in the MNC playoffs. Maybe have a couple of at large teams to round out the match ups.

Conferences would rotate who they played each year, ie Big XII vs Big Ten one year, the next year Big XII vs PAC-10 etc.

usmc-sooner
12/3/2007, 09:55 PM
How would a playoff system be flawed?

Do it like most every state does high school football and I can't see a problem. I'd suggest that Div. I would need to be split into additional divisions, but other than that I really don't understand why people think it would be that hard.

for one you could look at college basketball, even Massimino (sp) admits they weren't the best team in the nation.

Sooner_Bob
12/3/2007, 10:03 PM
for one you could look at college basketball, even Massimino (sp) admits they weren't the best team in the nation.

To me, that's what makes college basketball great . . . the best team won't win the title every time.

I remember back in the late 80's when a Wynnewood team limped into the playoffs at 4-6 and reeled off 5 straight wins to win the 2A title. Were they the best team that entire season? Nope, but they had several plays not eligible or not able to play until the 7th week of the season and they were able to win 9 straight and were the best team during the playoffs.

Sooner_Bob
12/3/2007, 10:05 PM
Football can't be compared to basketball.

Football is too hard and brutal.

No end of season playoff. Too many injuries.

Repeat after me - every game is a playoff.

Be satisfied with a conference championship as a yearly goal.

So what, high school players can be subjected to a 15 game season but college athletes shouldn't be? Some teams already play a 14 game season.

Limit the regular season to 10 games with at the most an extra 4 to 5 games in the playoffs.

oumommafan
12/3/2007, 10:13 PM
What about the pros? Don't they have play-offs? It is crazy...high schools do it and pros but not colleges. I am pro play-offs!!!!

SoonerBOI
12/3/2007, 10:30 PM
The bowl system is not about the top 2 teams. the system is based on revenue, what brings in more money, year in and year out, we always talk about what conference is the best, sec, big 10, big 12, big east etc. get away from those preset connotations, start rankings after the first week (preseason ranking is a joke) and go from there!

FOX is the biggest winner here. It would have been a ratings flop if WV played Mizzou. IMHO

usmc-sooner
12/3/2007, 10:31 PM
To me, that's what makes college basketball great . . . the best team won't win the title every time.

I remember back in the late 80's when a Wynnewood team limped into the playoffs at 4-6 and reeled off 5 straight wins to win the 2A title. Were they the best team that entire season? Nope, but they had several plays not eligible or not able to play until the 7th week of the season and they were able to win 9 straight and were the best team during the playoffs.

so one flawed system is better than the other? If the beauty of the basketball playoff is the best team won't win, how can you argue about the BCS?
I think you just made my point

sanantoniosooner
12/3/2007, 10:38 PM
so one flawed system is better than the other? If the beauty of the basketball playoff is the best team won't win, how can you argue about the BCS?
I think you just made my point
I'm not exactly pro-playoff, though I like a plus one, but I don't care that Villanova wasn't technically the best team. They won when it meant something, and specifically in their case, I've never seen a team play more perfect.

I don't care who the best team is. I just want to win it.

RiddlerOK
12/3/2007, 10:42 PM
The conference championships should be tossed, 12-team conferences should play each other in a full schedule (yes, without non-conference games) and there should be a 16-team playoff. It's coming, I tell ya! It's coming..................

RiddlerOK
12/3/2007, 10:43 PM
And the season should be limited to 12 regular-season games to allow the 12-team conferences at least one opportunity to play a non-conference opponent.

sanantoniosooner
12/3/2007, 10:45 PM
And the season should be limited to 12 regular-season games to allow the 12-team conferences at least one opportunity to play a non-conference opponent.
geez.......you just created the suckiest season ever.

1 OOC game per team?

You aren't allowed to give ideas anymore;)

PLaw
12/3/2007, 10:49 PM
Pro play-off. All conferences have a championship game. Conference champions duke it out.

Stoop Dawg
12/3/2007, 10:54 PM
I read your post. My response is: Duh. ;)

Stitch Face
12/3/2007, 10:55 PM
What is this playoff you speak of?

Lott's Bandana
12/3/2007, 11:00 PM
Change will come through the courts as a result of a lawsuit.

Happened before and it will happen again.

Oklahoma and Georgia successfully sued the NCAA to create the College Football Association in order to break the lock ABC had on broadcasting college football games in the mid-'70's. (sound familiar ESPN/ABC?) The lawsuit took many years and by the time it was over, the CFA really didn't have to exist, but the impetus of the legal action created great change in what was a completely absurd and monolithical system.

One of these days, a Harris Poll voter will be caught being "influenced" by a booster. One of these days, a computer will have a programming glitch...

The school that proves they lost MILLIONS of dollars in revenues because of the above scenarios (or one like it) will sue the BCS/TV/NCAA and the result will be globalnuclear.

That's how change will happen and given the way the voters voted and how the computers found Va Tech #1 and have Mizz ahead of OU...m'thinks it is only a matter of time before a scandal on par with steriods rears it's ugly head. Personally, I think the shenanigans have been going on already and just need to be found.

tommieharris91
12/4/2007, 02:19 AM
[Jim Mora] PLAYOFFS!?!?!?! PLAYOFFS!!?!?!? I JUST HOPE WE CAN WIN ANOTHER GAME!!!! [/Jim Mora]

Just wondering, has anyone mentioned the possibility of an extra OU home game as point for a playoff system yet?

SoonerTerry
12/4/2007, 02:35 AM
dude, every week is like a playoff! That is why LSU got into the BCS title game, everyone else had two losses in the regular season, so they got kicked out of the playoff.

pssss... LSU has 2 losses

Crucifax Autumn
12/4/2007, 02:53 AM
Just wondering, has anyone mentioned the possibility of an extra OU home game as point for a playoff system yet?

Huh? Explain.

TUSooner
12/4/2007, 09:48 AM
This morning as my stomach rolled over for the 9th time as I heard radio heads blatehring and shouting about the BCS, it occurred to me just exactky WHY we NEED a CFB playoff. It's simple!

When your team loses, you should be sad; when it wins you should be happy. BUT, under the present system (like the previous ones), whether your team wins or loses, you argue. You argue about what it means and what effect it should have on the impressions of desk jockeys in Peoria and Pittsburg. Sure there's always a little arguing, and some people love to argue endlessly. But this RELIANCE on arguing to chose a champion every freaking year is just TOO DAMN MUCH ARGUING. It NEVER ends, not even after the "championship" game. I've had enough of championships decided by argument, ignorance, and bias.
That's not sports; it's POLITICS. I WANT SPORTS !!! :mad:

And don't argue with me about it.