PDA

View Full Version : Cool Coach's Poll graphic.

SeattleOUstudent
12/3/2007, 06:05 PM
This one works.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/coaches_fb_poll_2007/flash.htm

Stoops doesnt like LSU or Boise St :)

KHS Sooner
12/3/2007, 06:11 PM
Chris Peterson votes us #6........Idiot.

Animal Mother
12/3/2007, 06:13 PM

If that pizzes you off don't go to the Harris Poll!!!!!!

jk the sooner fan
12/3/2007, 06:14 PM
Belloti and Bowden dont like OU!!!!!

shocking

SoonerKnight
12/3/2007, 06:15 PM
Callahan and Hawkins both voted us #2!!! That was interesting. I guess Callahan likes hillbillies!

The Maestro
12/3/2007, 06:16 PM
Callahan likes a job...and he doesn't have one.

Pucker up, Buttercup!

yur-out
12/3/2007, 06:18 PM
#6? How about Mike (I can't get over the fact I've never REALLY beat OU) Bellotti ranking us at #8.......that's right #8 and Mizzou and KU at #5 and 6.:mad: :eek: :mad:

OUAndy1807
12/3/2007, 06:19 PM
check out Stoops vote.

D-Sweet
12/3/2007, 06:24 PM
Spurrier voted us #1. Good man.

LOL on Bellotti's poll - ranking us below Missouri and Kansas. Nice work, guy.

D-Sweet
12/3/2007, 06:26 PM
And Schnellie ranks us below Missouri as well.

Don't try to cover up that bias, pal.

Harry Beanbag
12/3/2007, 06:28 PM
Check out ***************'s vote. He is clinically retarded and drunk.

1. Ohio St.
2. Kansas
3. Hawaii
4. Missouri
5. LSU
6. Va Tech
7. OU
8. Georgia
9. West Virginia
10. Boise St.

12. USC

21. Florida

KHS Sooner
12/3/2007, 06:28 PM
Some of these coaches shouldn't be allowed to vote. :D

yur-out
12/3/2007, 06:35 PM
OK, Bobby Bowden's last good team?
You're still not mad about that are ya Bobo? Nah.....OU # 10 on his list!

The game really has passed him by, sad.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/3/2007, 06:35 PM
Callahan and Hawkins both voted us #2!!! That was interesting. I guess Callahan likes hillbillies!

Did you see the shot that Frannie gave us on the way out the door? Guess it was a his way of paying back all the beat downs.

I'll say this, each of these polls should have an oversight committee, maybe run by the NCAA. Because every ballot should be scrutinized, and any coach who cannot in the oversight committee's judgement explain a pretty questionable vote (such as Mizzou over OU) ought to be instructed to re-submit their ballot, or risk having their poll thrown out and/or be replaced in the poll.

There is such a thing as integrity. I think it's even in the NCAA motto. While I'm no fan of the NCAA they need to get that crap under control.

soonerboomer93
12/3/2007, 06:58 PM
you guys do realize, that most coaches don't fill out their own ballot

Steve Kragethorpe also ranked us at 8

Stoops voted Mizzou 3 and Kansas 4

KHS Sooner
12/3/2007, 07:00 PM

They want a big 12 team in the title game.

StanberryWasIn
12/3/2007, 07:03 PM
you guys do realize, that most coaches don't fill out their own ballot

Whether they fill them out or not, they are (or should be) responsible for what's in them. Otherwise the name should be changed to "Athletic Department Flunkies Poll".

SoonerRecon
12/3/2007, 07:04 PM
coaches shouldn't be voting, and bible shouldn't be reffing

Ground_Attack
12/3/2007, 09:05 PM
Check out ***************'s vote. He is clinically retarded and drunk.

1. Ohio St.
2. Kansas
3. Hawaii
4. Missouri
5. LSU
6. Va Tech
7. OU
8. Georgia
9. West Virginia
10. Boise St.

12. USC

21. Florida

Wow! just, wow. :eek:

Stitch Face
12/3/2007, 09:19 PM
Solich also voted us #2.

The Nebbish love us.

85sooners
12/3/2007, 09:30 PM
:hot:

Sooner_Bob
12/3/2007, 09:37 PM
Wow. Some of those coaches are just a little out there.

soonerhubs
12/3/2007, 09:39 PM
I'm trying to figure out Bobby Bowden's logic. What a prick.

sanantoniosooner
12/3/2007, 09:41 PM
Senility is kind of hard to follow

Jewstin
12/3/2007, 09:56 PM
It remains absolutely BAFFLING to me that there is still a coach's poll. It has been REPEATEDLY exposed as being horribly corrupt/inaccurate/flawed. Remember some coaches talking about how they let their children do it?

This is a freaking travesty. Absolutely humongous conflict of interest having coach's vote like this. Every conference is going to push for their respective BCS calibre teams to get in ...

It's mindblowing that this sort of crap still exists. Simply mindblowing.

soonerhubs
12/3/2007, 09:59 PM
Where is Mike Stoops' vote?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/3/2007, 10:02 PM

Probably because the game started one hour after lights out at the nursing home

KHS Sooner
12/3/2007, 10:02 PM
coaches shouldn't be voting, and bible shouldn't be reffing

Agreed.

stoopified
12/3/2007, 10:18 PM
All I can say about this is you gotta be $hitting me.How can anyone with half a brain rank the Big 12 Champs BELOW KU,AND Missou?

bluedogok
12/4/2007, 12:20 AM
Where is Mike Stoops' vote?
Not all coaches have a vote.

I think the Callenberger and Fran votes could be AD votes, like Osbourne and whoever Byrne gave it to. After all, Callenberger and Fran are no longer coaches.

Crucifax Autumn
12/4/2007, 02:12 AM
I think this poll is a load of crap. The Bowdens need their asses kicked and a few others need to be tied to the end of the shoe doing the kicking.

batonrougesooner
12/4/2007, 02:24 AM
Before we throw stones, it should be pointed out that Bob Stoops ranked LSU 6th. Don't tell me he wasn't trying to fudge the numbers there either.

There is enough blame to go around.

Crucifax Autumn
12/4/2007, 03:03 AM
Hell, he coulda ranked 'em 25 or not at all.

piusbovis
12/4/2007, 04:32 AM
I'll say this, each of these polls should have an oversight committee, maybe run by the NCAA. Because every ballot should be scrutinized, and any coach who cannot in the oversight committee's judgement explain a pretty questionable vote (such as Mizzou over OU) ought to be instructed to re-submit their ballot, or risk having their poll thrown out and/or be replaced in the poll.

I like the idea someone threw out there...I don't remember if it was on this forum or OUinsider, but it was basically some method of throwing out the statistical outliers- the set number of votes most outside the average.

pott_2
12/4/2007, 05:12 AM
Before we throw stones, it should be pointed out that Bob Stoops ranked LSU 6th. Don't tell me he wasn't trying to fudge the numbers there either.

There is enough blame to go around.

Good for him. Guess who esle ranked us #1?

Deeez nuts!!!

MamaMia
12/4/2007, 11:13 AM

There is enough blame to go around. Thats where they belong. You cant think of 5 teams who could beat them? :pop:

TopDawg
12/4/2007, 12:07 PM
That's an awesome graphic...thanks for posting.

Stoops has Texas ranked higher than any other coach...4 spots higher than Mack, even.

crawfish
12/4/2007, 12:19 PM
This poll proves one thing: the bowdens are douchbags.

KingDavid
12/4/2007, 07:11 PM
Did you see the shot that Frannie gave us on the way out the door? Guess it was a his way of paying back all the beat downs.

There is such a thing as integrity. I think it's even in the NCAA motto. While I'm no fan of the NCAA they need to get that crap under control.

They should set up some sort of web-based voting mechanism with data entry parameters that automatically reject rule-breaking ballots. Ideally, it would wash out the entire ballot and make the coach start over - like when you enter your credit card info incorrectly on a web-site and it just kicks you back to the purchase screen and you have to start all over.

I'm picturing Belotti trying to enter the same ballot, over and over and over.

Enters ballot first time.

"Basic logic error #101: You are not allowed to rank one team ahead of another that has beaten the first team twice by a combined score of 30 or more points. Please submit your ballot again."

Fails to notice message. Second try.

"Basic logic error #101: You are not allowed to rank one team ahead of another that has beaten the first team twice by a combined score of 30 or more points. Please submit your ballot again."

Notices message, but does not attempt read it. Third try.

Attempts to read message, but cannot actually read. Fourth try.

"We're sorry, your voting capabilities have been temporarily frozen to protect the integrity of our poll. Please dial 1-800-S-H-!-T-4-B-R-A-I-N-S to have your user ID and pin re-set."

TopDawg
12/4/2007, 07:14 PM
Heh

KingDavid
12/4/2007, 07:16 PM
It remains absolutely BAFFLING to me that there is still a coach's poll. It has been REPEATEDLY exposed as being horribly corrupt/inaccurate/flawed. Remember some coaches talking about how they let their children do it?

This is a freaking travesty. Absolutely humongous conflict of interest having coach's vote like this. Every conference is going to push for their respective BCS calibre teams to get in ...

It's mindblowing that this sort of crap still exists. Simply mindblowing.

If my mind were not completely blown, I would heartily and enthusiastically agree. As such, I am nodding my head slowly while trying to gather the drool from my chin.

KHS Sooner
12/4/2007, 07:17 PM
Bobby Bowden must have some hard feelings after getting his arse kicked.

toneful
12/4/2007, 07:37 PM
props to tubberville...after getting "screwed" in '04 he still ranked us #2.

texas bandman
12/4/2007, 07:53 PM
Nice post. Too bad there are so many dipstick coaches out there.

sanantoniosooner
12/4/2007, 07:55 PM
Bob's votes are a little tough to defend.

Lott's Bandana
12/4/2007, 08:33 PM

As I posted on the other "Coaches Poll" thread:

Admission:

When I have nothing else to do and I click on those stoopid "Fan Polls", I always list my votes like this:

1. OU
2. North Texas
3. Miami
4. Utah State
5. FIU
6. Baylor
7. UTEP
8. San Jose St.
9. etc, etc....

Know where I'm going with this? No LSU, tOSU, etc...keeps their totals down.

The coach's asinine appearing votes are a deliberate and calculated attempt to influence the BCS Champ Game by holding OU down and elevating their own preferred team. Coaches vote inter-conference (Bowden's boost Va Tech) and grudge (Bellotti). Keeping OU farther down in their votes create an aggregate 'false' reduction of our poll position and thereby contributed to OU not getting a sniff at the MNC game.

Frankly, Bob's vote of LSU 6th is simply his way of trying to elevate his own team.

In most cases, it isn't about just money. After all, the ACC gets a BCS bowl anyway so the Bowden's vote doesn't get FSU and Clemson any more cash than they otherwise would get...however, it does elevate the "prestige" of a conference to have (again Va Tech as an example) a team as high as possible in the standings. It is used as a recruiting tool to convince HS players to come to play in a marquee conference.

The fact is, the coaches have the opportunity to manipulate the system and they take advantage of that opportunity. Do you blame them?

sanantoniosooner
12/4/2007, 08:43 PM
yeah.......I get it.

Our coach tweaks the system because he's morally obligated to right the wrongs by others.

They tweak the system because they have no integrity.

Makes perfect sense.;)

Stoop Dawg
12/4/2007, 09:08 PM
I'm not sure why you guys are surprised/upset by the poll. This is the age-old method of determining an "National Champion" and it's the best system anyone could ever dream up. Screw all those other stupid sports and their stupid "play offs". What a joke they are. Polling is BY FAR the superior method!!

Keep it coming. I love it!!!!

Stoop Dawg
12/4/2007, 09:09 PM
yeah.......I get it.

Our coach tweaks the system because he's morally obligated to right the wrongs by others.

They tweak the system because they have no integrity.

Makes perfect sense.;)

Dude, you seriously need to pony up for a new pair of crimson goggles. Yours just ain't workin like they used to.

sanantoniosooner
12/4/2007, 09:10 PM
I don't know what others are suprised about.

What I'm surprised at is that we can rip other coaches who vote for transparent reasons when ours does the same thing.

Lott's Bandana
12/4/2007, 09:44 PM
SAT,

The coaches do it because they can. It may be logically repugnant, it may violate the spirit and intent of the system, but it is a system and it involves hella-millions of ducats.

Like I pointed out, the Bowden's vote was calculated and had reason's behind it, as did Bob's.

Actually, the Sooners players will look at what their coach did and realize he feels pretty strongly about their capability. Bob Stoops is not one to often wade in hyperbole so his voting "statement" shows he has his program's back.

By the way, were you able to get Saturday's game recorded?

sanantoniosooner
12/4/2007, 09:56 PM
Voting yourself number 1 doesn't nearly hurt your credibility as much as voting other teams 5 slots below the adjusted average. It's not that big a deal. Most coaches do it, though it appears to me that some put personal feelings on the back burner long enough to vote somewhat impartially. The concept of a coaches poll intrigues me, but the execution of it is lacking. They don't have the time to view most of the teams and they have a vested interest in certain results, so it's just about a waste of time.

I've got the CCG recorded. Though I have yet to conquer transferring it from DVR to DVD. The OSU game was the one I missed because they changed it's broadcast info after we had already left town for Thanksgiving and the game.

12/4/2007, 10:20 PM
The coaches' poll is among the least scientific out there. I've personally witnessed a coach jotting teams and numbers down on a napkin on the team's bus from the field to the airport.

They can't possibly know what happened most of the days they voted. This late in the year, yeah... they should be more accurate. But it is still just a "eh, they played us tough" type poll.

Shouldn't be considered seriously in any final vote.

toneful
12/5/2007, 12:19 AM

yeah...a little disappointing, actually. Conference allegiance goes a little far. Of course, it shouldn't play any role in one's decision.

I have more of a problem with coaches having OSU so high cause they beat no one. It that's Iowa who beat the same teams they aren't playing for the NC.

Belloti's is atrocious.

goingoneight
12/5/2007, 12:59 AM
Here's the new pole:

1. OU...
... **** the rest of 'em.

batonrougesooner
12/5/2007, 01:11 AM

Careful...

I made this same point earlier in the thread and all I got in return was a neg spek fest.

Quit being so logical and put your crimson glasses back on.

KingDavid
12/5/2007, 01:21 AM
To me there is a line between advocating your teams interests (Stoops, Miles, Big XII coaches, etc.) . . . and carrying out a personal vendetta (Belotti, Smellybooger).

Stoop Dawg
12/5/2007, 01:23 AM
Voting yourself number 1 doesn't nearly hurt your credibility as much as voting other teams 5 slots below the adjusted average.

What is this "credibility" that you speak of? Is there some sort of "credibility" score where those coaches' votes count more?

As far as I can see, there is absolutely NO downside to voting yourself #1 and your hated rival #25. People can call me a dimwit all they want, but if my benefit package included million dollar bonuses for NC appearances and what-not you'd better believe I'd be voting myself #1 every week. Go ahead and interview me on national TV and ask why I voted my 0-8 team #1. I'll just say "because I get a bonus if we finish in the top 25". Who's gonna argue with that?

Stoop Dawg
12/5/2007, 01:26 AM
To me there is a line between advocating your teams interests (Stoops, Miles, Big XII coaches, etc.) . . . and carrying out a personal vendetta (Belotti, Smellybooger).

Maybe the people with vested interests and personal vendettas shouldn't be voting on who is #1?

Nah, nevermind, that's crazy talk. KEEP THE BOWL SYSTEM!!!

Crucifax Autumn
12/5/2007, 01:28 AM
I think the only rational solutions would be to either remove them as voters when they can't back up their votes or toss the coach poll alltogether.

Perhaps if it was possible to gather the best non-biased media types or at least make sure the biases are evenly distributed and combine that with a computer average that actually works in a logical fashion (like Sagarin in the non-bcs version) then we'd get good results.

Otherwise we need an 8 game playoff or a compromise resulting in a 4 game playoff.

And get rid of the stupid 2 teams from one conference in the BCS rule...Sometimes, like this year, there are 3 and someday there could be 4 tough that's not as likely.

I mean really...Big 12 has 3 teams in the top 8 and for idiotic reasons we don't have 3 in despite 10 spots to be had! Best of all, we wouldn't have to hear Missouri crying and we'd probably have 3 of our teams kick someone else in the top 10's *** in January.

Vaevictis
12/5/2007, 01:29 AM
Maybe the people with vested interests and personal vendettas shouldn't be voting on who is #1?
So basically, there shouldn't be any voting at all ;) I agree.

TopDawg
12/5/2007, 10:25 AM
Let's use darts.

Stoop Dawg
12/5/2007, 01:03 PM
So basically, there shouldn't be any voting at all ;) I agree.

Nah, biased polls and computer algorithms are what makes this sport great!

Go Sooners! Get votes and work those algorithms! Go team!

NYC Poke
12/5/2007, 03:05 PM
Thats where they belong. You cant think of 5 teams who could beat them? :pop:

Is there a 60-minute time limit?

NYC Poke
12/5/2007, 05:40 PM
Hi Stewart. After seeing the final coaches' ballots, do you think that Mike Bellotti, Howard ***************, and the Bowdens have some explaining to do? Their treatment of Oklahoma is indefensible. All these coaches ranked Missouri ahead of Oklahoma, and Bobby Bowden even ranked the Sooners 10th! What might the BCS result have been had these coaches exercised integrity?
--Rob, Barre, Vermont

What's amazing to me is that this is now the third year of making the ballots public, and yet the sheer degree of transparent, agenda-driven voting only seems to be getting worse. Some of this year's ballots were downright absurd. You're right, I don't know what Bob Stoops did to tick off the Bowden family, but he sure paid for it on their ballots. And I think the Missouri-Oklahoma and West Virginia-Pittsburgh games kicked off too late for Bobby to see, because he had the Mountaineers fifth, Tigers sixth and Sooners 10th.

Meanwhile, how about Dennis Franchione kicking his old WAC rival Hawaii on his way out the door, voting the Warriors 12 spots lower (22nd) than their overall ranking? How about *************** voting Florida -- a team that beat his Owls 59-20 -- 22nd? And yet the AFCA and USA Today do nothing about this. It's all considered perfectly acceptable.

As for Oklahoma's situation, a few more points in the coaches poll would not have done all that much for the Sooners, which lagged too far behind Ohio State and LSU in the computers. Besides, Stoops himself was guilty of blatantly attempting to affect the outcome. I have no problem with him voting for his own team No. 1 -- but he was the only coach in the poll to vote LSU as low as sixth, a transparent attempt to beat out the Tigers.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/12/05/cfb.bag/2.html

TUSooner
12/5/2007, 05:49 PM
Go Sooners! Get votes and work those algorithms! Go team!
Mr. Dawg:
Thanks for your letter. Your cheer has potential, but it needs a little more work before we could start designing a routine to go with it.
(signed)
National Cheerleader Society

Stoop Dawg
12/5/2007, 07:17 PM
I think we should try fancier uniforms in an attempt to attract more votes. And maybe hire a supermodel as a spokes-person. What do you guys think?

TopDawg
12/5/2007, 07:20 PM
We should just buy votes. Even a $1,000,000 investment in vote-buying would probably pay off if it got us into the title game.

sanantoniosooner
12/5/2007, 07:37 PM
I'm glad we could provide a playground for the "we want a playoff" ninnies

;)

TUSooner
12/5/2007, 07:47 PM
I think we should try fancier uniforms in an attempt to attract more votes. And maybe hire a supermodel as a spokes-person. What do you guys think?

Let's not dismiss this out of hand, ladies and gents!
Media and mail advertising could be directed to Harris Poll voters who may have missed something because they were yachting or passed out under a booster's wife in some stadium luxury box. We'd point out the merits of the teams we have played, the soundness and style of our victories, the weakness of our opponents' schedules, and other matters of interest, like, say, number of felons on XSU's roster, the TV sex-appeal of our cheerleaders and other highly relevant facts. Why should ESPN have a monoply on propaganda! We'd only be doing to the max some stuff that coaches have to hold their noses and do anyway. But we'd take this burden off of them and place it on the PR department.

Unless, of course, this is already happening.... :eek: :confused:

An alternative would be to play a tough schedule (or one that looks tough) and win all the games by a wide margin.

KingDavid
12/5/2007, 08:31 PM
One thought just shot to mind: if it's this bad now, after they've started publishing the coach's ballots . . . what in hades must it have been like when the ballots were secret?!?

The coach's poll should not be a component in the bcs formula.

Stoop Dawg
12/5/2007, 10:36 PM
I'm glad we could provide a playground for the "we want a playoff" ninnies

;)

Pffffft.

After looking at those ballots, I'm now convinced that polling is the ONLY way to TRULY determine a national champion.

I also think that they should get rid of those silly "judges" in figure skating and just let the skaters rate each other's performances. I mean, who knows skating better than the skaters? It only makes sense.

sanantoniosooner
12/5/2007, 10:48 PM
Why don't you take that theory a step further and ban yourself for a week?;)

Cam
12/5/2007, 11:10 PM
What I'd like to see if the use of up/down/side arrows to indicate how a coach moved that team from the week before. Give them something to feel good about and don't put numbers on it. Just the arrows. My guess is that Schnelly's was the same ballot from the previous week.

josh09
12/5/2007, 11:20 PM
Bobby voted LSU #6 lol

josh09
12/5/2007, 11:21 PM
Wow Bobby Bowden is still jealous about 2000 i see.

KingDavid
12/6/2007, 12:56 AM
What I'd like to see if the use of up/down/side arrows to indicate how a coach moved that team from the week before. Give them something to feel good about and don't put numbers on it. Just the arrows. My guess is that Schnelly's was the same ballot from the previous week.

It would be interesting to an analysis of the trends in the coach's voting patterns. Looking at variables like:

1) Influence of a controversial loss.
2) Influence of coaching relationships or family relationships.
3) And so forth . . .

Hmmmm. Kind of puts a new slant on Stoops getting all of these former assistants out their with their own teams to coach. Sly dog, that Stoopsie!

TopDawg
12/6/2007, 11:39 AM
Let's not dismiss this out of hand, ladies and gents!
Media and mail advertising could be directed to Harris Poll voters who may have missed something because they were yachting or passed out under a booster's wife in some stadium luxury box. We'd point out the merits of the teams we have played, the soundness and style of our victories, the weakness of our opponents' schedules, and other matters of interest, like, say, number of felons on XSU's roster, the TV sex-appeal of our cheerleaders and other highly relevant facts. Why should ESPN have a monoply on propaganda! We'd only be doing to the max some stuff that coaches have to hold their noses and do anyway. But we'd take this burden off of them and place it on the PR department.

Unless, of course, this is already happening.... :eek: :confused:

An alternative would be to play a tough schedule (or one that looks tough) and win all the games by a wide margin.

So basically we'd just be turning the national championship race into the Heisman race, right?

I LOVE IT!

Stoop Dawg
12/6/2007, 01:55 PM
Why don't you take that theory a step further and ban yourself for a week?;)

Dude, I am the top authority on what constitutes a quality post around here. After all, I'm a poster myself!

BTW, I'm ranking you #23 this week for that comment. I would have left you out completely if not for the winky. Let this be a lesson to you.

sanantoniosooner
12/6/2007, 03:15 PM
Dude, I am the top authority on what constitutes a quality post around here. After all, I'm a poster myself!

BTW, I'm ranking you #23 this week for that comment. I would have left you out completely if not for the winky. Let this be a lesson to you.
Doesn't matter.

You're just a lame duck poster until after bowl season anyway.

TopDawg
12/6/2007, 03:38 PM
Just like the Bowden's, us Dawgs stick together.

I'm ranking sas #24 this week.

sanantoniosooner
12/6/2007, 06:56 PM
pffffffffffft

you aren't even an "others receiving votes".........

TopDawg
12/7/2007, 01:41 AM
sas = Shnelly

...sorry, that was too far.

Crucifax Autumn
12/7/2007, 01:47 AM
lame duck

Can a lame duck fly? I realize that by definition they can't walk, but is flying out too?

Zing
12/7/2007, 04:49 AM
Can a lame duck fly? I realize that by definition they can't walk, but is flying out too?

Probably depends upon which part of them is lame. Does it necessarily imply legs, or could they have a lame wing?