PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Big 12 fan for the bowl games

toast
12/3/2007, 04:34 PM
or do you want certain teams to lose no matter what?

herewego
12/3/2007, 04:37 PM
I just read Mangino's comments from his Orange Bowl interview - I think he was sweating having to play the Sooners. See below

"I was confident that our team was going to get a big bowl berth. I felt like we had a very good chance to get a BCS berth and I think it's only fitting that last year we were bowl eligible and didn't get a call for a bowl. It's fitting for our players and our university to get this opportunity. I'd rather play out of conference, but if (playing Oklahoma) was the only way we could have played in the BCS bowl then fine, we'd play Oklahoma. I had a conversation at about 12:30 last night with Oklahoma's head coach (Bob Stoops) and we laughed about what might happen, but it didn't and we're very pleased with where we are right now."

Jason White's Third Knee
12/3/2007, 04:39 PM
I rarely root out of conference. I'll always root against colorado. Worst fans in the universe. If our conference beats the crap out of everybody, that helps us in recruting and in the polls/

1890MilesToNorman
12/3/2007, 04:40 PM
During bowl season I am Big XII all the time, yes even Texas, I want the Big XII to be the dominant conference every year. After the conference championship it is like rooting for family, we had our wars and spats during the season but the other 11 schools are still part of the family.

Big XII 8-0 in the bowls, wishful thinking maybe but not out of the question.

Paperclip
12/3/2007, 04:42 PM
If certain teams win then it's good for the conference, but I still laugh if they lose.

hink4769
12/3/2007, 04:44 PM
I will never be upset while watching a texas or gundy loss.

NYC Poke
12/3/2007, 04:48 PM
I always pull for Big XII teams in all interconference games, including bowls. It helps with the stupid "which conference is stronger" argument. If the Big 10 does well in bowl season, they'll talk all off-season about how their conference was underrated all year.

Scott D
12/3/2007, 04:50 PM
poke fans can hate me more than they already do. But I'd like to see Indiana beat them.

Collier11
12/3/2007, 04:52 PM
everyone except Texas, I may even root for osu though it is 50/50 right now

NYC Poke
12/3/2007, 04:54 PM
poke fans can hate me more than they already do. But I'd like to see Indiana beat them.

Indiana is probably the feel-good story of the year. I suspect a large number of people who would normally be ambilalent will be pulling for IU.

BermudaSooner
12/3/2007, 05:01 PM
I'll be pulling for them all---8-0. Normally I wouldn't be too disappointed if Texas lost, but I don't like losing to the Pac-10.

TUSooner
12/3/2007, 05:05 PM
I always pull for Big XII teams in bowl games (or really in almost any interconference game), due to the "which conference is stronger" crapola. That's the same reason I always root against SEC teams.

There may be an occasional exception, but I can't think of one.

Yes, this includes Texas and Ok State.

Scott D
12/3/2007, 05:08 PM
Indiana is probably the feel-good story of the year. I suspect a large number of people who would normally be ambilalent will be pulling for IU.

it's pretty much my ambivalence that has me lean toward Indiana. That and those sharp adidas uniforms they have that look way too similar to OU uniforms. Only interest I have in the conference doing well is that silly challenge cup that ESPN made up a few years ago.

Collier11
12/3/2007, 05:10 PM
ambilalent :eek: :confused:

sanantoniosooner
12/3/2007, 05:10 PM
I root within the conference.

But I reserve the right to enjoy the loss of particular teams.

TUSooner
12/3/2007, 05:14 PM

Heh. May I borrow that ?

cvsooner
12/3/2007, 05:19 PM
Sad part for Indiana and OSEwe is nobody will see the game, hardly, since it's on the NFL Network.

silverwheels
12/3/2007, 05:30 PM
I'd like to see the Big 12 do well in the bowl season, but I wouldn't be disappointed if, say, Texas or OSU lost.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/3/2007, 05:32 PM
I will never root for OSU or Texas...except Texas, I will root for them when they play OSU.

soonermeteor
12/3/2007, 05:35 PM
I'm all big 12. Makes us look better when we beat them next year. :D

StoopTroup
12/3/2007, 05:36 PM
I feel strongly both ways.

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2007, 05:37 PM

Truth! I pull for all big 12 teams, but if conference sibling loses, I feel little pain :P
When the big12 goes 2-5 in bowls it is embarrassing. I think we can win 5 this year.

I admit I was as big of a VY fan as the most devout :texan: when they took out 'SC. 'SC is the biggest enemy to MNC hopes in the long run.

Collier11
12/3/2007, 05:49 PM
I admit I was as big of a VY fan as the most devout :texan: when they took out 'SC. 'SC is the biggest enemy to MNC hopes in the long run.

With all due respect, anyone who roots for texass to win a MNC is not an OU fan!!!

sanantoniosooner
12/3/2007, 05:53 PM
With all due respect, anyone who roots for texass to win a MNC is not an OU fan!!!
geez.........here we go again...........:rolleyes:

let it drop

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2007, 05:58 PM

Don't make me come over there :mad:

I'm sooner born and squeezed a 4 year degree into 5 years just so I could get student tickets for another year :cool: I attended '74-'78 and went to every OU/UT game during that time. If you question my fandom again, you'll be hearing from my mom.

Collier11
12/3/2007, 06:00 PM
geez.........here we go again...........:rolleyes:

let it drop

This is the first time ive dropped my opinion on the matter and I think that there is nothing wrong with saying it. wanting texas to win the holiday bowl to help the conf rep is one thing, rooting for them to win the MNC which in turn gives our #1 conference competition and rival a big advantage in recruiting and national opinion is quite another!

OUinFLA
12/3/2007, 06:00 PM

I was about to agree with TU's first post, but this one is shorter and directly to the point.

I'll even be pulling for texas.

uh, who's osu?
you mean the Fighting Flo-bees?
yep, them too.

Collier11
12/3/2007, 06:01 PM
Don't make me come over there :mad:

I'm sooner born and squeezed a 4 year degree into 5 years just so I could get student tickets for another year :cool: I attended '74-'78 and went to every OU/UT game during that time. If you question my fandom again, you'll be hearing from my mom.

Im not questioning your fandom, Im questioning your logic...maybe I should have re-worded my statement.

OUinFLA
12/3/2007, 06:05 PM
This is the first time ive dropped my opinion on the matter and I think that there is nothing wrong with saying it. wanting texas to win the holiday bowl to help the conf rep is one thing, rooting for them to win the MNC which in turn gives our #1 conference competition and rival a big advantage in recruiting and national opinion is quite another!

they've had that for years, and we've done pretty well against them on the field.

You know, with the 500 brazillion high school kids in texas, quite a few decent players are available every year, even after ut has their pick of the "cream of the crop". :D

But, living down here in deep SEC land, it's always nice to be able to say.....
Yep, I know everyone say's you're the strongest conference, but........ all those bowl games???? Big XII won the most.

Course, this year all I will hear is ..... but,,,,,, LSU!

sanantoniosooner
Take the number and diversity of BCS threads right this moment.

Change the topic to USC VS UT and you have this same site a few years ago.

It was beat to death.

and......btw.......UT did win and the predicted "advantage" is in the toilet.

soonerboy_odanorth
I am going to reluctantly root for the entire Big 12. Main reason: The computer polls hating us this year.

They took strength of schedule out of the BCS components, except that the computer polls still use SOS. And that requires human driven parameters such as: conference bowl performance, conference OOC performance, etc.

Say we have a great bowl season at 6-2 as a conference... I'd bet that spurs a lot more computer love next year.

GoTigers
12/3/2007, 06:10 PM
Everyone but Kansas.

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2007, 06:12 PM
Im not questioning your fandom, Im questioning your logic...maybe I should have re-worded my statement.

Don't worry - I wouldn't really call mom. Logic and pulling for college sports teams are fairly unrelated. I have no trouble with UT because we can compete with them in recruiting (and win) and compete with them on the field (and win). USC recruites from an area of 30 million people and gets almost no competition from UCLA and other PAC10 teams. And then they get 5 star player from Louisiana and Tennessee on top of that! Then they play in the PAC10 which they have won 6 times in a row - that will never happen in the big12. The media loves them. They are pure evil.

Lott's Bandana
12/3/2007, 06:13 PM
Anyone but Texass.

I don't care what sport. 7-1 suits me.

Collier11
12/3/2007, 06:13 PM
they've had that for years, and we've done pretty well against them on the field.

You know, with the 500 brazillion high school kids in texas, quite a few decent players are available every year, even after ut has their pick of the "cream of the crop". :D

But, living down here in deep SEC land, it's always nice to be able to say.....
Yep, I know everyone say's you're the strongest conference, but........ all those bowl games???? Big XII won the most.

Course, this year all I will hear is ..... but,,,,,, LSU!

Point taken but I still dont want our biggest rival to win any MNC's

Collier11
12/3/2007, 06:15 PM
Don't worry - I wouldn't really call mom.

Its cool, I was going to call her regardless :D :D :D :D :D

sanantoniosooner
12/3/2007, 06:15 PM
Here's the deal.........if you root for UT to lose every game then you can't brag about the RRS being one of the best rivalries in the nation. If you had your way it would be equivalent to OU/OSU

proudsoonergal
12/3/2007, 06:18 PM
I'm hoping for a 6-2 record in the bowls. Go ASU and IU. :D

Collier11
12/3/2007, 06:25 PM
Here's the deal.........if you root for UT to lose every game then you can't brag about the RRS being one of the best rivalries in the nation. If you had your way it would be equivalent to OU/OSU

NO, I want texas to win every game other than OU but if they make the MNC, I will never root for them except for maybe over ND if they ever get back there

sanantoniosooner
12/3/2007, 06:29 PM
NO, I want texas to win every game other than OU but if they make the MNC, I will never root for them except for maybe over ND if they ever get back there
well you had to keep in mind that there was extenuating circumstances when they did play for it.

USC was the opponent and they were threatening our 47 game win streak. Picking sides was like choosing which testicle to remove forcibly.

Boarder
12/3/2007, 06:35 PM
I hope osu doesn't get a first down and always will hope that. And don't give me the "it helps OU" stuff. OU's success has never and never will hinge on anything osu does.

I root against texas in the bowls, too.

I will be big time rooting for all the other Big 12 teams in theier bowl games.

Jdog
12/3/2007, 06:36 PM
This year I'm rooting for all teams who are playing against the SEC teams.
I think their a bunch over rated suck a$$ mules who I hope will be proven to be frauds after the bowl season.

I will cheer for all Big 12 teams with the exception of the one that has the coach who was so adamant to tell us how old he is.

reevie
12/3/2007, 06:48 PM
I don't care who texas is playing or where. I want them to lose.

The Maestro
12/3/2007, 06:56 PM
I don't "root" in any game that OU is not playing in. I just watch them.

SOS didn't hurt us this year. Losing to Colorado did. That's not the Big 12's fault.

OUinFLA
12/3/2007, 06:57 PM

quit worrying, it may never happen again in your lifetime.

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2007, 07:13 PM
well you had to keep in mind that there was extenuating circumstances when they did play for it.

USC was the opponent and they were threatening our 47 game win streak. Picking sides was like choosing which testicle to remove forcibly.

I must admit the beatin' we took the year before along with historical OU winning streaks in jeopardy tainted my view. So I chose to remove the testicle labeled "USC". I was in school when OU had a 33 game unbeaten streak going or something like that. The only blemish during that time was a tie with (you guessed it) USC. Trauma incurred during those tender years is not easily forgotten.:eek:

76soonergrad
12/3/2007, 07:15 PM
The thing is, in the beginning of the year the talking heads on espn kept promoting "the big east." On & on & on. It was their hype that made people think the big east was worthy.

Well, they ain't. And the hype went on for half the season. Pac 10 is another one.

And then the conference in "flyover" America that gets ignored kept winning games. We had our own midwest regional at the end of the season.

We need to continue the momentum. The sports peeps have influence. I don't see much difference between Kansas & tOSU. The Ohio school just gets all the love. Look at their schedule. Underwhelming X 10.

So yeah, I hope Kansas squeaks by VT. If the Big 12 looks good, we look that much better, and will get props next fall.

It depends on who Texas plays as to whether I can root for them..

I'm a Big 8 fan myself.

Echoes
12/3/2007, 08:06 PM
I'm all big 12 as well. However, I don't mind OSU losing. I hate them.

sanantoniosooner
12/3/2007, 08:11 PM
I don't "root" in any game that OU is not playing in. I just watch them.

SOS didn't hurt us this year. Losing to Colorado did. That's not the Big 12's fault.
I start watching many games with that attitude. But as a game unfolds it is difficult to stay neutral.

I'd be surprised if you didn't take an interest in one side or the other in most games.

Sooner_Havok
12/3/2007, 08:44 PM
I am pulling for 7-1

UT can win for all I care, we are done with them for this year, and have already raided Texas for it's talent.

lOSUr however, I hope they lose by 200. I hate them, I hate their fans, I hate the fact that sportscasters get their names confused with OUrs, and I hate the fact that we have to share a state with them. They should be bared from using the word "OKLAHOMA" in their sh*t hole university's name. It drags the state's, and OUr name down.

douxpaysan
12/3/2007, 09:17 PM

All this talk has got me thirsty...let's go down to Henry Hudson's and do some whorn huntin'.:D

bluedogok
12/4/2007, 12:05 AM
quit worrying, it may never happen again in your lifetime.
My thinking as well, I can pull for UT against USC once every 30 or so years. I just hate USC exponentially more than UT, bad things always happened to me on games against them starting with the 7-7 tie.
I even dislike OSU more than UT, all my years in OKC I worked with many more annoying OSU "fans" than I have dealt with obnoxious Whorns, they are #3 on that list though :D

A Sooner in Texas
12/4/2007, 12:26 AM
I hope osu doesn't get a first down and always will hope that. And don't give me the "it helps OU" stuff. OU's success has never and never will hinge on anything osu does.

I root against texas in the bowls, too.

I will be big time rooting for all the other Big 12 teams in theier bowl games.

What he said.
Any anytime texass loses, it just stirs up the ol' "Texas has the pick of high school players in the whole state, but OU WINS with theirs" fun that gets us more and more of the cream of Texas' crop.

adoniijahsooner
12/4/2007, 12:46 AM
Big 12 in every sport all the time. I was rooting like hell when ut beat usc.

Collier11
12/4/2007, 12:49 AM
I was rooting like hell when ut beat usc.

:rolleyes: :confused: :mad:

sooner59
12/4/2007, 01:45 AM
As much as it pains me to say....yeah I hope everyone in the conference wins. Including OSU and Texas. But its only because it makes us look better if they win.

Crucifax Autumn
12/4/2007, 01:57 AM
I hate Texass. I hate the screaming Gundys. I hate Tech. I hate A&M.

But I love the Big 12 and want the media to STFU about the little 10, the fag 10, and the Sucky EC.

So...Go Big 12! Win every game by 50. Smack 'em down on both sides of the ball. ****ing OWN the NCAA. And for the bowls those other conferences have against crap teams squeaking in on 6 win seasons...Let the squeakers slaughter them. In head to heads between those conferences...play crappy, play unsportsmanlike, play sloppy, and look bad.

Screw 'em all...Let the Big 12 sort 'em out!

BIG_IKE
12/4/2007, 09:20 AM
I want the BIG 12 to win so that everyone gets the media/poll love we deserve for next season. I hate the overrated SEC,Big 10 and Big East assumptions.

As far as us losing recruits by Texass winning, that's crazy. The Cream of the Crop in Texas is big enough to supply half the Big 12. Most of the Key players at OU, oSu, Kansas, Missouri, K-State, Tech, Baylor, A&M, and UT come from Texas. The state produces almost 300 Div. I signees a year.

We will be fine recruiting wise, whether Uterus wins or loses.

1890MilesToNorman
12/4/2007, 10:19 AM
I was at the 7-7 tie game against USC, not much more than 12 years old (72' 73' ?, I don't remember). The USC fight song is like nails on a chalkboard to me. USC is a blight on college football, they and Notre Dame are the only teams I will never root for. As a matter of fact I will never root for a PAC-10 team because USC is a member, unless that team is playing USC.

When is that predicted earthquake coming that submerges California? that would solve many problems. Yes I lived there for almost 5 years and the only good thing about it is the weather.

76soonergrad
12/4/2007, 11:21 AM
^^^^^^^^^^I was at OU then. Didn't go to the game. But it kept us from winning the MNC. We outplayed them. Aaarrrrrggg!

Seems like OUr teams have to work harder for hype.

sendbaht
12/4/2007, 11:24 AM
I will root for all Big 12 teams but one, come on AZST.

stoopified
12/4/2007, 11:26 AM
I want to laugh at UT(if they lose it snaps MB's string of 10 qin seasons)and T.Boone State(they ARE osu,enough said).Aside from that I'm pro BIG 12.

A-M
12/4/2007, 11:35 AM
Big XII always!

oupride
12/4/2007, 12:02 PM
I will root for all Big 12 teams but one, come on AZST.
Unfortunately, I root for Texas in this one. The Big 12 is perceived as weak by the BCS voters. That was the rationale for sending LSU because the SEC is perceived as so strong. Therefore, ALL the Big 12 teams need to win their bowl games because it will help not just the conference but OU!

Whet
12/4/2007, 01:23 PM
It is kinda like taking ex lax, you don't want to do it, but in the long run, it is good to get that shattuck out of you, (ie. weaker appearing conference) by exhibiting the strenght of the conference against other conferences.

So, yes I will be rooting for all of the Big XII teams in the bowl games, no matter how much it pains my colon.

Jacie
12/4/2007, 05:00 PM
Concerning watching a non-Sooner game and actually caring which team wins, when one of the teams happens to be from a school south of the Red River, whose team color looks like what you'd get if an orange got too close to an open flame, then I'd have to say the pain exhibited by the fans of such a school whence they lose said game is my joy.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/4/2007, 05:09 PM
I feel strongly both ways.

So you go both ways.

SoonerinSouthlake
12/4/2007, 06:08 PM
or do you want certain teams to lose no matter what?

I like for the B12, except for the whorns. I want unhappiness for them....always

OUinFLA
12/4/2007, 06:17 PM
So you go both ways.

It's nice to see something finally got your interest.
Your post count has been suffering.

:D

bluedogok
12/4/2007, 11:30 PM
I was at the 7-7 tie game against USC, not much more than 12 years old (72' 73' ?, I don't remember). The USC fight song is like nails on a chalkboard to me. USC is a blight on college football, they and Notre Dame are the only teams I will never root for. As a matter of fact I will never root for a PAC-10 team because USC is a member, unless that team is playing USC.

When is that predicted earthquake coming that submerges California? that would solve many problems. Yes I lived there for almost 5 years and the only good thing about it is the weather.
1973, I was 9 and we listened to it on the radio.

OU is 2-6 against USC, the last win was in 1971 :mad:

Outopia
12/4/2007, 11:40 PM
I'm all big 12 as well. However, I don't mind OSU losing. I hate them.

Me too. I dislike all their envious "haters", and their presumptive "The States University" little brotherism. Then there is the annoying "bragging" about their minor sport championships in horse riding, sheep dating, golf, and man grabbing like that really means something. No one in the United States of America knows or cares about that. You don't see Texas fans bragging about their diving championships. Even they don't care, because it is not important. Then they (OSU fans) complain about our attendance in Lloyd Noble, when they do not fill up Gallagher Hall. As a group, they are very jealous and it clouds their judgment to the point of petty snideness. Their obsession with OU is very unhealthy. I hate Texas, but I can respect them. I don't obsess over Texas. I can't respect OSU, with all of their childish name calling and obsessing. Go IU.

SoonerBacker
12/4/2007, 11:54 PM
Me too. I dislike all their envious "haters", and their presumptive "The States University" little brotherism. Then there is the annoying "bragging" about their minor sport championships in horse riding, sheep dating, golf, and man grabbing like that really means something. No one in the United States of America knows or cares about that. You don't see Texas fans bragging about their diving championships. Even they don't care, because it is not important. Then they (OSU fans) complain about our attendance in Lloyd Noble, when they do not fill up Gallagher Hall. As a group, they are very jealous and it clouds their judgment to the point of petty snideness. Their obsession with OU is very unhealthy. I hate Texas, but I can respect them. I don't obsess over Texas. I can't respect OSU, with all of their childish name calling and obsessing. Go IU.

My sentiments, exactly! I don't like texA$$, but I can hope they win a bowl game in order to strengthen national perceptions of the conference. But I will never pull for oSu in ANY sport.

NYC Poke
12/5/2007, 12:38 AM

How does that bother you when you have all those NCs? We have our talk, you have your trophy case. Which would you rather have?

As far as Texas smack-talk goes, they might be respectful to you now, but they are not amongst themselves. I'm a fan of Big 8 (and of necessity Big XII) football. I didn't realize how much of a fan I was of the conference I was until I went to law school in Virginia. I'd go to the lounge on Saturday afternoons and be subjected to UNC-NCSU games. It resembled the college football I knew, but without the coaching.

I went to work in Houston following law school. I worked with a guy whose dad had played under DR, he had walked onto the football team (he explained to me how you shoot clean urine up there with syringes for the steroid tests) and actually lettered in baseball. All I heard about all summer was about how UT was going to DOMINATE everyone in football.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't rooting for Heupel in the RRS that year. Just to shut him up. UT fans might respect your football program, but they have no respect for you (or us, for that matter). The day following that loss, he registered the firemackbrown.com website and presented it to his dad as a Christmas present.

So hate us all you want. Put up with our lip when we actually win the game 20% of the time (9 times since 1950 -- I like the trend!!!). At the end of the day, the average UT fan has respect for your football team, but little regard for you as a person, your university (nor ours -- this is not intended as a slam) or as fans. They are just entitled trustifarians waiting on another win.

I won't talk football smack with any OU fan. We can't. UT can, though the modern era is inapt. Difference is, most of our fans change the sport or the subject. UT seems to think they're still great.

12/5/2007, 07:32 AM
Eh, I'll pretty much root for any big 12 but Fexas in a bowl. Too much recruiting tension.

Choctaw
12/5/2007, 07:43 AM
Can't go for Texas. I was raised (properly, I might add) with a strong dislike of all things burnt orange. I am pulling for the other teams in the Big 12 though. Even the 'pokes.

jrsooner
12/5/2007, 07:48 AM
If certain teams win then it's good for the conference, but I still laugh if they lose.This is my basic thought on it also. Even though it goes against every fiber in my body! I don't root some teams, but I'll want a "W" for them (akin to having every tooth pulled out by Steve Martin without any pain killers).

My preference:
1. Big 8 Team (though I'll laugh my head off if the Pukes lose)
2. Big 12 Team (though I'll laugh my head off if Texas loses)
3. Up for grabs

leavingthezoo
12/5/2007, 08:25 AM
i usually don't care so much either way, but this year i'd like to see the big 12 smack everyone they play so the "pundits" can remove the collective SEC naughty bird from their mouths just long enough to gasp in surprise.

heh. naughty bird. i have no idea...

ruf/nekdad
12/5/2007, 08:44 AM

ambilalent :eek:

I think it's one of them there fancy lawyer words they use in Manhattan. I don't think we would understand.

zeke
12/5/2007, 09:35 AM
Half-heartedly I root for them. I would like the Big 12 to win them all and be the strongest conference, but I dont want to loose a possible recruit because of some lesser Big 12 team (texas, osu, tt, ect.)winning a bowl game

NYC Poke
12/5/2007, 11:47 AM
I think it's one of them there fancy lawyer words they use in Manhattan. I don't think we would understand.

Just trying to blend in. :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/5/2007, 11:58 AM
I will never root for OSU or Texas...except Texas, I will root for them when they play OSU.Well said. I would also root for tx when they play the domer.
Bottom line-I want every non-Sooner team to lose, always. Other teams in the Big 12 hate us as much as anyone in the country, IMO.(Ef 'em Sooner hating mofos, anyway).

sanantoniosooner
12/5/2007, 12:04 PM
Well said. I would also root for tx when they play the domer.
Bottom line-I want every non-Sooner team to lose, always. Other teams in the Big 12 hate us as much as anyone in the country, IMO.(Ef 'em Sooner hating mofos, anyway).
This is the deal though. I don't know why people can't see it. If our opponents are good it reflects better on us. And if you want to cause pain to your opponent, what better way to do it than strip the #1 ranking from them?

Honestly.....MU has beaten OU 1 time in the last 20 years. Of all those losses, which one inflicted the most pain on them? This last one of course. Beating a pansy isn't memorable.

Some of the fondest memories I have of OU football was beating the OSU teams with Thomas and Sanders. The only memories you get from playing crappy teams is the rare occasion you puke on yourself and lose the game.

swardboy
12/5/2007, 12:18 PM
Just trying to blend in. :D

touche (too - shay) for the pokie

Texas Golfer
12/5/2007, 12:22 PM
During bowl season I am Big XII all the time, yes even Texas, I want the Big XII to be the dominant conference every year. After the conference championship it is like rooting for family, we had our wars and spats during the season but the other 11 schools are still part of the family.

Big XII 8-0 in the bowls, wishful thinking maybe but not out of the question.

I agree. A strong Big XII personna only helps OU when we beat them all. Personally, I'm getting a little tired of the "it's the SEC and then everyone else" mentality.

12/5/2007, 12:24 PM
This is the deal though. I don't know why people can't see it. If our opponents are good it reflects better on us. And if you want to cause pain to your opponent, what better way to do it than strip the #1 ranking from them?

Honestly.....MU has beaten OU 1 time in the last 20 years. Of all those losses, which one inflicted the most pain on them? This last one of course. Beating a pansy isn't memorable.

Some of the fondest memories I have of OU football was beating the OSU teams with Thomas and Sanders. The only memories you get from playing crappy teams is the rare occasion you puke on yourself and lose the game.I can't muster any love for the other Big 12 conference teams, whose fans HATE OUR SOONERS' AS*ES! Although you have a valid point, and I agree it helps the overall image of the conference, we can reap some dandy recruiting benefits if some stud recruit chooses us over his in-state team, because he perceives them as unworthy as a result of "x" number of losses, or one loss too many, by stinking up that bowl game. (I wouldn't mind being able to recruit the top 3 or 4 kids every yr. in each of the Big 12 states).

BudSooner
12/5/2007, 12:34 PM
Big 8 all the way.

NYC Poke
12/5/2007, 12:45 PM
I can't muster any love for the other Big 12 conference teams, whose fans HATE OUR SOONERS' AS*ES! Although you have a valid point, and I agree it helps the overall image of the conference, we can reap some dandy recruiting benefits if some stud recruit chooses us over his in-state team, because he perceives them as unworthy as a result of "x" number of losses, or one loss too many, by stinking up that bowl game. (I wouldn't mind being able to recruit the top 3 or 4 kids every yr. in each of the Big 12 states).

We hate each other because we play each other all of the time. How many MAC teams do you hate?

We are a part of an unholy brotherhood. We are each other's competitors (well, we try to be), and yet we are part of the same conference. And that, like it or not, provides a measuring stick that determines how we're all regarded.

I couldn't care less about, say, Colorado beating Nebraska on any given year. But I hate seeing USC whoop up on Nebraska. It's just not right.

12/5/2007, 12:51 PM
We hate each other because we play each other all of the time. How many MAC teams do you hate?

We are a part of an unholy brotherhood. We are each other's competitors (well, we try to be), and yet we are part of the same conference. And that, like it or not, provides a measuring stick that determines how we're all regarded.

I couldn't care less about, say, Colorado beating Nebraska on any given year. But I hate seeing USC whoop up on Nebraska. It's just not right.I always like seeing suc blow a game. I like seeing you guys win just enough to not fire your 40 yr. old man-coach. I was sorry to see Callenberger go. Why did you choose OSewe?

OUmillenium
12/5/2007, 12:53 PM
Conference teams I pull for except when they play us = KU, TXTECH

Everybody else can burn...slowly...not a flashfire or explosion mind you.

When lOSUr and UTerus play each other, I pull for a headon team bus collision.

Pull for our conference, yeah right.
Hope that clears it up

NYC Poke
12/5/2007, 12:55 PM
I always like seeing suc blow a game. I like seeing you guys win just enough to not fire your 40 yr. old man-coach. I was sorry to see Callenberger go. Why did you choose OSewe?

Not based on football, obviously.

I applied to both schools, visited them both, went to parties at both, liked them both a lot. In the end I made a mature and considered decision -- and went to where my high school girlfriend was going. That worked out well, at least for about 3 weeks into our first semester there.

12/5/2007, 12:59 PM

I applied to both schools, visited them both, went to parties at both, liked them both a lot. In the end I made a mature and considered decision -- and went to where my high school girlfriend was going. That worked out well, at least for about 3 weeks into our first semester there.How long did it take for you to go orange-blind?

BoulderSooner79
12/5/2007, 01:07 PM

I applied to both schools, visited them both, went to parties at both, liked them both a lot. In the end I made a mature and considered decision -- and went to where my high school girlfriend was going. That worked out well, at least for about 3 weeks into our first semester there.

I could only afford in state tuition, so it was either OU or OSU. My father really wanted me to go to OSU because OU was perceived as the drug school. Out of respect for my father, I picked OU of course. Never did find all those drugs though; I think all you guys must have taken them before I got there.:P

NYC Poke
12/5/2007, 02:20 PM
How long did it take for you to go orange-blind?

I was there for Thurman/Barry, so not very long. I got used to the heartbreaking losses pretty quickly, too.

sanantoniosooner
12/5/2007, 02:27 PM
Conference teams I pull for except when they play us = KU, TXTECH

Everybody else can burn...slowly...not a flashfire or explosion mind you.

When lOSUr and UTerus play each other, I pull for a headon team bus collision.

Pull for our conference, yeah right.
Hope that clears it up
And it's your right to feel that way.

Just don't get upset when people are talking about the great rivalries in college football and you want OU/NU or OU/UT up there. Because those rivalries would be meaningless if the other teams sucked.

Does the nation take notice when OU suits up against Baylor? Iowa State? But that's what you want every week of the season to be. Cool.

Personally, I want to rip the dreams of our opponents right from their grasp when they seemed so close to it they could taste it.

Like MU.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/5/2007, 02:31 PM
Let's hope all the other big 12 schools lose their bowls so we can listen for a few weeks of how Oklahoma wasn't that good because they played in a weak conference.:rolleyes:

12/5/2007, 02:36 PM
Personally, I want to rip the dreams of our opponents right from their grasp when they seemed so close to it they could taste it.

Like MU.Did you see the tv show Jeremy Macklin on the bench, looking dejected? He was going to sign with the Sooners, and changed his decision, instead going with Mizzou. Wonder if he ever regrets that dec.?

76soonergrad
12/5/2007, 02:57 PM
OU is consistently in the hunt for the National Championship. That is OUr recruiting mantra.

If the rest of the conference looks good, we look better. The whoopin that MU took enhances our program. How many yards did MU get in the 4th quarter? Eight?

Let's get those high school prospects in here. The big 12 gets better this year--OU is BEST. Where would you rather play?

The other issue is a PR one. Shutting up the talking heads....Winning bowl games will do that. OU hasn't done as well lately.

And, Stoops doesn't like to talk a good game....He'd rather do his talking on the field, as his his right. Some of these coaches play to the media.

It's like there's a whole other football season--The media one. They do it to boost ratings. Remember the hype surrounding 0-2 Michigan vs. 0-2 Notre Dame? Who cared? Football is being reported differently now.

Winning will shut them up. Erase Boise State on Jan. 2 vs. WV. I hope the big 12 dominates.

mehip
12/5/2007, 02:57 PM
I try to root for the other conference teams. But I can't seem to find it in me to ever root for A&M or Okie Light. With all of the trash-talk this season, Missouri is quickly making it's way onto that list.

I'll be really pulling hard for ASU this year though. I got my Masters there and I'd love seeing them spank UT.

budmanku
12/5/2007, 04:33 PM
I'll root for all Big XII teams during bowl season. It's good for our conference to dominate...proves to the rest of the country just how talented our Sooners are. And don't let my screen name fool you...I'm an OU alum at KU law.

My predictions:

OU > WVa
Kansas < Va Tech - though closer than everyone thinks
Texas > ASU
Tech > Virginia
aTm < PSU
Colorado > Bama
Missouri > Arkansas
OSU > Indiana

Bourbon St Sooner
12/5/2007, 05:23 PM
I just hope Mo kills R-Kansas so I can stick it in the crawl of these LSU posers.

76soonergrad
12/5/2007, 07:28 PM
^^^^^^^^^What he said.

sanantoniosooner
12/5/2007, 07:36 PM
^^^^^^^^^What he said.