PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one surprised we aren't playing Hawaii?

Grimey
12/3/2007, 12:26 PM
Once it was decided we weren't in the Champ-een-ship game, the Fiesta was automatic for us as Big 12 champs. But then they had the choice of matching us up with Hawaii or West Virginia.

Hawaii is more likely to bring fans to Arizona than New Orleans, and its fanbase is riding high, so I would think they would travel there well. West Virginia's fans are demoralized and may or may not make a trip to the desert to watch their team invevitably get their butts kicked by us.

Last year we were matched up with "Cinderella" and it turned out to be one of the best college games ever. Hawaii this year = Boise last year. It would be probably the best ratings of all the bowls if you have that matchup.

Not that I am complaining, I think we would beat Hawaii but match up much better against WVU. Plus, the last thing I want is the whole country rooting for us to lose again. Just think that is interesting.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/3/2007, 12:32 PM
He*l, the Fiesta was apparently considering bringing in Kansas Jayhawkers to play us. Da*n, I'm glad they didn't do that!

colleyvillesooner
12/3/2007, 12:37 PM
While Hawaii may be undefeated, they had to come from 21 down to beat a 4-9 Washington team...at home.

This same Hawaii team beat La Tech (5-7) by 1 point and San Jose St (5-7) by 7.

Grimey
12/3/2007, 12:39 PM
I'm just surprised they didnt go with the whole Cinderella angle again. Worked for them last year

Civicus_Sooner
12/3/2007, 12:40 PM
Don't the BCS bowls have to rotate who gets the crappy non BCS team, similar to who hosts the National Championship game?

SoonerShay
12/3/2007, 12:43 PM
Sugar Bowl had to pick them because they get to host the national championship game. Just like last year when the feista got stuck with boise state because they got the championship game.

teams like boise and hawaii make their respective BCS game get the lowest tv ratings possible.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/3/2007, 12:43 PM
i m not surprised because they went to the bowl that had the last selection..

Fiesta bowl had last selection last year

Civicus_Sooner
12/3/2007, 12:44 PM
What till the Rose Bowl has like UTEP and Cal play in it. That should be some funny stuff rigth thar!

BIG_IKE
12/3/2007, 12:51 PM
While Hawaii may be undefeated, they had to come from 21 down to beat a 4-9 Washington team...at home.

This same Hawaii team beat La Tech (5-7) by 1 point and San Jose St (5-7) by 7.
They beat Washington by more than USC did...

The Maestro
12/3/2007, 12:58 PM
Hawaii going to New Orleans.

That is like leaving Jenny McCarthy for Janet Reno.

Hope you like filth!

Lott's Bandana
12/3/2007, 01:06 PM
Hawai'i has a freakishly small fan base (I lived there...women's volleyball is traditionally the more popular sport) and virtually NO national regular media coverage.

West Virginia has a much larger fan base and is in a conference that the Eastern media continually over-hypes and crows about, thereby ensuring a certain measure of attention for their bowl game.

Finally, and this sounds really, really weird, but West Virginia's average fan has much more disposable income than Hawai'i's average fan. Da kine generally wonderful and sweet-natured people of Hawai'i struggle to survive on their economy and really only spend their money on vacations to Vegas. (makes sense, yeah? I mean, where would YOU go on vacation if you lived in Hawai'i? They love to gamble, the warm climate, have their own hotels and practically free daily charter flights to and from HNL/LAS.)

Scott D
12/3/2007, 01:09 PM
Lott's has a lot of it down. Hawai'i traditionally travels poorly (unless they are playing @ BYU). Also the fact that as was said earlier the Sugar had last pick, so they got 'stuck' with picking Hawai'i.

So yes Grimey, you probably are the only one surprised. ;)

Grimey
12/3/2007, 01:12 PM
The small fanbase I can understand. But the possible TV ratings I think would be through the roof for another "David v Goliath' game.

Scott D
12/3/2007, 01:17 PM
The small fanbase I can understand. But the possible TV ratings I think would be through the roof for another "David v Goliath' game.

And for those that said that the Fiesta didnt get a choice, read this article. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3138670)

yeah, the picking order went.

Orange/Rose/Fiesta/Sugar

last year it went

Sugar/Orange/Rose/Fiesta

Next year it'll be

Rose/Fiesta/Sugar/Orange

The real hitch in the whole argument is that the Rose will do whatever it can to try to do it's best to put a Pac10/Big10 combination.

TUSooner
12/3/2007, 01:41 PM
My colleague is a Dawg- he's already crying about UGA's "can't win" Sugar Bowl game vs Hawai'i. But UGA will win because they are not near the "Goliath" OU is :rolleyes: :mad:

And maestro- you're pushing it again with the New Orleans smack. (And being right is NO EXCUSE !)

Lott's Bandana
12/3/2007, 01:45 PM
Next year it'll be

Rose/Fiesta/Sugar/Orange

The real hitch in the whole argument is that the Rose will do whatever it can to try to do it's best to put a Pac10/Big10 combination.

So will ABC/ESPN.

BIG_IKE
12/3/2007, 02:04 PM
I say Hawaii wins this one. They should have a chip on their shoulder and alot to prove. Not only that....Who on here as actually SEEN them play. I have, and They could score a ton of points on ANY team in the BCS top 10, including us.

r5TPsooner
12/3/2007, 02:14 PM
The Rose Bowl sucks azzhair.

kevpks
12/3/2007, 02:36 PM
After seeing the attendance at the ACC championship game, the Orange Bowl better hope that KU travels well. VT hardly brought any fans to Jacksonville. The Orange Bowl has had some real duds the past few years. Last year it was Wake Forest vs. Louisville.

Whet
12/3/2007, 02:49 PM
I wasn't supprised we are not playing Hawaii. We paid our dues last year with BS University.

If you thought the team was fired up for Mizzou, imagine how they will be for the Fiesta Bowl...... They need to get that nasty taste out of their mouths from last years, so you can be assured Stoops and troops will be on fire....

colleyvillesooner
12/3/2007, 03:15 PM
yeah, the picking order went.

Orange/Rose/Fiesta/Sugar

last year it went

Sugar/Orange/Rose/Fiesta

Next year it'll be

Rose/Fiesta/Sugar/Orange

I was under the impression that the picking order went Rose/Sugar/Orange/Fiesta/Sugar

Ohio State was #1, letting the Rose Bowl pick 1st of the at large's: Illinois.
LSU was # 2, letting the Sugar Bowl pick 2nd of the at large's: Georgia
Orange took KU, Fiesta had to choose between two automatic qualifiers: WVU and Hawaii.

cvsooner
12/3/2007, 03:19 PM
Supposedly the Orange and Fiesta could have swapped teams. The Orange reportedly really wanted us, but the Fiesta wouldn't even consider it.

yermom
12/3/2007, 03:29 PM
i really wish our tie-in was still with the Orange Bowl

aero
12/3/2007, 03:41 PM
It was a bit of a relief to see we weren't playing Hawaii. Not that we SHOULDN'T have beat them but that would have been another no win situation for us and I think perhaps a great deal of pressure to win. My guess is GA wins. Although I think we were a better team than BSU last year, they were closer to being equal to us than I think Hawaii is to GA this year.

Scott D
12/3/2007, 04:26 PM
I was under the impression that the picking order went Rose/Sugar/Orange/Fiesta/Sugar

Ohio State was #1, letting the Rose Bowl pick 1st of the at large's: Illinois.
LSU was # 2, letting the Sugar Bowl pick 2nd of the at large's: Georgia
Orange took KU, Fiesta had to choose between two automatic qualifiers: WVU and Hawaii.

Well that brings up a secondary point actually. Bowls have to fill their 'missing' bid if their automatic tie-in is taken by the championship game. That puts the Rose in it's not so precarious position in keeping with it's "tradition" by picking #2 in either conference should they lose one or both teams to the BCS title game. Comparatively speaking, the Rose has an unfair advantage in having two BCS conferences with automatic tie-ins. The other 3 bowls have just a single tie-in which means they're going to have some picking order for at-large bids.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/3/2007, 04:51 PM
I'm just glad we drew WVU. Kansas would have been BORING. And I don't know how much more of that Cinderella crap I could have taken again if it would have been Hawaii. Really, with the system set up as it is, it is about as good as we could have hoped for minus going to the BCS champ game itself.

OUr hillbillies are better than their hillbillies.

So there, game on.