PDA

View Full Version : Has Bob Built a New Dynasty At OU?

stoopified
12/3/2007, 10:34 AM
I heard it mentioned the other day that Bob HAD in fact done so.I don't recall where I heard it,I'm thinking KOCO-5 but I am not sure.

I am equally unsure if what Bob has accomplished to this point is worthy of the DYNASTY label.Do not get me wrong,I love Bob(after all I'm stoopified BUT does 98 wins ,21 losses,1NC and 5 CC's equal a dynasty?

If you check my signature you will note that I list Benie Owen(122-54-16) as THE FOUNDATION while listing Bud(145-29-4,3 NCs) asDynasty 1,Barry(157-29-4,3 NCs) as Dynasty 2.IMHO the only thing seperating Bob from dynasty status at this point is 1 or more additional NCs.I just feel that to earn that ELITE status among OUr coaches you need that extra something on the resume.Having said that I go on record as saying barring catastrophic circumstances I expect Bob to lead us to #8 next year.(Catastrophic circumstances include losing Sam Bradford 4 minutes into a key road game).Next years NC will secure Dynasty 3 status for Bob witout question.

OK,I just picked us to win #8 next year.Am I the first to publically do so on this board?

boomersooner28
12/3/2007, 10:35 AM
Don't know if he has built a "Dynasty", but he has changed the name of the Big 12 Conference to "The Oklahoma Conference."

Civicus_Sooner
12/3/2007, 10:38 AM
Dynasty might be an understatement. It's Oklahoma and the 11 dwarfs.

Widescreen
12/3/2007, 10:45 AM
If we are a dynasty, I expect it will continue through next year at least. In 2009, I'm not so sure. ;)

Soonermagik
12/3/2007, 10:51 AM
Dynasty = lots of championships. If he can win 2 more national championships say in the next 4 years then that is a Dynasty.

The Patriots are a true Dynasty!!!!!!

Civicus_Sooner
12/3/2007, 11:28 AM
I think 5 Conference Championships and one National Championships, spiked with two more appearances = Dynasty, but maybe that's just me.

KingBarry
12/3/2007, 12:18 PM
"Dynasty" means being successful year after year, right?

So, yeah, Bob's got a dynasty. He's won the South Div 6 of 8 years. That's Switzer like domination.

The only thing missing is another national championship, but if that is the deciding factor, then you really can't call Switzer's era dynastic as he had a 10-yr drought in there.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/3/2007, 12:19 PM
I like having at least 2 NC's on the resume, in addition to all the conferece championships, to claim Dynasty status.

o0Dan0o
12/3/2007, 12:32 PM
What about if USC gets DQed from the 04 NC due to Reggie Bush, giving Stoops his second NC?
Dan

Civicus_Sooner
12/3/2007, 12:33 PM
What about if USC gets DQed from the 04 NC due to Reggie Bush, giving Stoops his second NC?
Dan
No chance they hand the NC to another team. We wouldn't accept it anyhow. It'll just be vacated.

Curly Bill
12/3/2007, 03:14 PM
Conference championships are great, but a dynasty they do not make. Multiple national championships in a short period of time, mixed in with conference championships is what makes a dynasty.

In short: there may not be another dynasty in college football for a long period of time, if ever again.

tulsaoilerfan
12/3/2007, 04:52 PM
Conference championships are great, but a dynasty they do not make. Multiple national championships in a short period of time, mixed in with conference championships is what makes a dynasty.

In short: there may not be another dynasty in college football for a long period of time, if ever again.
I agree; it's too damn hard any more to win 3 titles in 6 or 7 years

soonerboy_odanorth
12/3/2007, 04:58 PM
Right now its a "Miniasty". Duplicate another 9 years on top of his first 9 and then it is without doubt a Dynasty.

Number 8 would be a heckuva way to celebrate his 10th season here, that is for sure.

The Maestro
12/3/2007, 05:03 PM
Right now its a "Miniasty". Duplicate another 9 years on top of his first 9 and then it is without doubt a Dynasty.

Number 8 would be a heckuva way to celebrate his 10th season here, that is for sure.

Agreed. If he can pull off 7 division titles, 6 conference titles and two national titles in 10 years, call it a dynasty.

Then duplicate it over the next ten years and hand the reigns over to Head Coach Josh Heupel in 2019!!!

Oh, and a second Heisman Trophy winner next year won't hurt, either!

tommie15
12/3/2007, 05:08 PM
Absolutely it's a dynasty.

No program has been as consistent since 2000.

westcoast_sooner
12/3/2007, 05:29 PM
I think the only thing missing from Coach Stoops record in order to call it a dynasty is longevity. Bud and Barry both were at OU for a long time - 17 and 16 seasons, respectively. But, the game has also changed since both were coaching the Sooners. During that time, there were fewer scholarship restrictions, so it was a little easier once the Sooners got on top, for Bud and Barry to keep them there. Also, you played your regular season schedule, then, if you were fortunate, you went to a bowl game, too.

Now, with the conference championship, and the BCS, getting to the National Championship game is a much higher hurdle, it seems to me.

Bottom line, I think if Coach Stoops continues to win conference championships, and sticks around for at least another 8 or 9 years, he'll have dynasty status.

fadada1
12/3/2007, 05:37 PM
it's close. i think we need another MNC or two.

on the other hand... osu has monopolized the dynasty of mediocrity.

stoopified
12/3/2007, 07:51 PM
I think I will wait util Bob leads us to #8 to change my signature BUT I don't expect to have to wait long.The Third Dynasty of Soonerland is on the horizon.

Big Red Ron
12/3/2007, 08:03 PM
If it isn't a dynasty it's as close as you can get without being one.

German Corner
12/3/2007, 09:16 PM
Dynasties don't get beat in the money games especially 55 points.

To lose to lsu in new orleans was a tall order, it was just not our night,

but south california in our bowl in miami, no dynasty.

I'm all for coach but the question on the table is about a present dynasty, no.

NEXT YEAR is a different story.

The second game is yet to be announced...GET BOISE STATE AND LET'S GET THAT THING OUT OF OUR SYSTEM AND JUMP START A TITLE RUN!!!!

GO GET THAT GAME JOE!!!

Now...beat Texas, undefeated, league title in KC, national title win over south california...DYNASTY!

Go Sooners!

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2007, 09:28 PM
I think dynasty has to be defined differently between pre-BCS and BCS eras. Love it our hate it, teams are more likely to face better opponents in title game under the BCS. For example in '04, OU would have played one team in the Orange bowl while 'SC played in the Rose and Auburn in the Sugar. They could have all won and had the title determined by who won prettier. Or who had more east coast bias or who had better weather in the game (advantage Sugar bowl). OU may have well swayed the voters and we would be claiming dynasty.

the_edge
12/3/2007, 10:45 PM
Bob had a dynasty going from 2000-2004.

The 2003 recruiting class being a total bust caused the "down" year in 2005.

I think last year and this year is the beginning of a new dynasty for OU. As long as the coaches don't recruit groups of players that flame out before doing anything (which was probably just horrible luck), I think we're in good shape to win the Big XII nearly every year for the foreseable future. And of course, any year you win the Big XII you have a shot at the national championship.