PDA

View Full Version : Ala Mode Dome

Lott's Bandana
12/3/2007, 10:27 AM
Big rectangle, poorly lighted playing surface, with ridiculously narrow corridors - especially at the corners. No side gate entrances, wholly undermanned and overpriced concession stands and the highest priced
($40.00) surrounding parking lots I have ever experienced.

Loud sound system. Good PA announcer. Small "busy" scoreboard strips. Good videoscreens, horrible replays. Very sterile and manufactured around property but Riverwalk close. Tailgating ''illegal'' on property except in one designated parking area.

Damn fine weather. Inside and out.

OKLA21FAN
12/3/2007, 10:29 AM
that about sums it up perfectly

okiediva
12/3/2007, 10:29 AM
Good PA announcer? I guess I missed that. I heard him calling OU players mizzou...he was late on a lot of the plays..overall not impressed.

boomersooner28
12/3/2007, 10:32 AM
$40 to park should be illegal. That is price gouging at it's finest.

OklahomaTuba
12/3/2007, 10:33 AM
It was an ok stadium. The river walk before the game was very cool.

okiediva
12/3/2007, 10:33 AM
I paid 10 at the Spaghetti Warehouse..not too far at all. It was fine except for the hooker that stopped to talk to me while I was sitting in traffic...lol

boomersooner28
12/3/2007, 10:52 AM
I paid 10 at the Spaghetti Warehouse..not too far at all. It was fine except for the hooker that stopped to fondle me while I was sitting in traffic...lol

fixed

okiediva
12/3/2007, 10:55 AM
fixed

:eek: ...she wasnt quite my type..prefer them a little more manly, preferably with a penis...lol

Lott's Bandana
12/3/2007, 11:10 AM
Good PA announcer? I guess I missed that. I heard him calling OU players mizzou...he was late on a lot of the plays..overall not impressed.

I suppose I'll like anything that isn't Folsom Prison Field or BP screaming homers.

Norman Sooner
12/3/2007, 12:38 PM
We paid $3 to park at a parking garage by the riverwalk. The announcer was horrible, $4 for a bottle of water, we were in section 323 and loved the seats..It was cool to see the whole play. It wasnt cool to see our defense line up without anyone inside the hashes and then proceed to watch Chase Daniel run straight down the middle of the field for like 20 yards..Overall, we had a blast..A few pictures from the game....

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/snrbrdnbrn/PC010110.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/snrbrdnbrn/PC010105.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/snrbrdnbrn/PC010111.jpg

Blitzkrieg
12/3/2007, 01:05 PM
I paid 10 at the Spaghetti Warehouse..not too far at all. It was fine except for the hooker that stopped to talk to me while I was sitting in traffic...lol

Dude, I'm there next champ game.

bluedogok
12/3/2007, 01:10 PM
We paid $10 for parking over by The Alamo.

The Alamodome is to stadiums what The Ford Center is to arenas, it was a built to a budget stadium unlike Reliant is or what JerryWorld will be. It is fine for what it was meant to be, the nice thing was it was only 1.5 hours away from home.

kevpks
12/3/2007, 02:41 PM
I lived in San Antonio when they built that dome. It was designed to draw an NFL team, but I was never that impressed with it. You should have seen how terrible it was to watch a basketball game there. They would pretty much just drop a curtain at the 50 yard line. The acoustics and angles of the seats were horrible for basketball.

Don't brake for Longhorns
12/3/2007, 02:53 PM
San Antonio championship game beats the hell out of frozen Kansas City!

Dan Thompson
12/3/2007, 03:01 PM
Do any football teams call this home? Is it most for basketball?

bluedogok
12/3/2007, 03:21 PM
The Spurs no longer play there, they play in the SBC Center built about 5 years ago (I think). It was used by the Saints for a few games last year. High school playoffs are the most games played there now, I think they had a Final Four there in the past. Other than that I think it is mainly used for conventions. There has been talk of UTSA fielding a football team, not sure if that is where they would play.

soonersweetie
12/3/2007, 05:09 PM
Yea, I wasn't that impressed with it either. Lighting was weird. We were in the south endzone in section 305. We took the trolley/bus from our hotel and it dropped us right off underneath in the trolley area right outside the alamodome. Great for only $1 each way.

As for the announcer, #84 (which i think is Coffman for Missouri) caught a pass from Chase and the announcer said, Catch made by #84 Quentin Chaney. I just looked at hubby and said did you hear that? Next play Maclin took the ball for a few yards and my hubby said maybe he should have said ball carried by Iglesias. Very funny. I thought for a moment Bob Barry was at the game announcing.

I thought our band looked good. But why did we only have part of our spirit squads? MU brought everyone not glued to the state. We only had a partial pom squad and only the Co-Ed group of cheerleaders. Very strange I thought.

For tailgating purposes, I prefer Arrowhead. Yes, I know it's cold, but we're not watching bowling, it's football. It's supposed to be cold. :)

garland sooner
12/3/2007, 05:17 PM
From where I sat, I could rarely understand what the PA announcer was saying. It sounded like we were underwater.

ouradu
12/3/2007, 05:27 PM
Was there a point where teh ABC sideline reporter came over the PA and was talking about how Daniel was "fuming" and upset? It sounded like she was on teh PA on TV and they made a comment like she might have been. And his face seemed to change a lot on the sideline when she made that comment.

colinreturn
12/3/2007, 05:47 PM
$40 to park should be illegal. That is price gouging at it's finest.

i was down there for cowboys camp. and all lots were full. the stadium was about 20% full. there is no parking there. and thats why surrounding companies charged a million bucks

SoonerSnareMom
12/3/2007, 06:00 PM
We paid $40 to park, too -- but recouped it in free Chik-Fil-A coupons being handed out around the stadium! Told my husband he'll be eating Chik-Fil-A sandwiches all month -- including Christmas dinner! :)

Sound system was terrible -- couldn't hear the penalty calls, then were blasted out of our seats by commercials on the so-called jumbotron, which was nothing more than an extremely small screen surrounded by advertising.

But the Sooner fans in Section 341 were great -- and there's no more fun place to party than the Riverwalk.

Sooner98
12/3/2007, 06:32 PM
Overall, I thought the experience was great. The Riverwalk/Alamo/Market Square gave you PLENTY to do before and after the game, and you couldn't beat the nice, warm weather we had. KC and Houston pretty much don't offer anything to do immediately surrounding the stadiums, and I need not say anything about the weather in KC. As far as the stadium goes, it is what it is. Not a top-of-the-line stadium, but certainly adequate for this type of game. They seemed to have trouble on the scoreboard with the "Down" and "To Go" numbers. Also, can someone tell me why it is so hard to show other scores from around the country on the bigscreens? Why don't they do this? That being said, I would say that this is overall probably the best venue to have this game, at least until Jerry World opens.

cvsooner
12/3/2007, 06:42 PM
It had to be better than KC and minus 10 degrees. St. Louis dome might have been okay, but not for this particular game....

SoonerRecon
12/3/2007, 06:53 PM
its football in December, its supposed to be cold.

san antonio has no idea about college football. we parked across the street at the tower of the americas, and the employees didn't even know there was a game that day. "oklahoma and missouri? basketball?"
minimal tailgating, and no beer sold inside the dome? come see the creek that runs through our downtown and pay $5 for a beer, then we'll charge you $40 to park.
can't wait to get back to KC next year.

F*** bellotti, the bowdens, and ***************

thesnowbishop
12/3/2007, 08:48 PM
I lived in SA around the time of the Alamo Dome completion and the best description I ever heard of it was that of an upside down armadillo. I've seen several Spurs games there (I prefered the old obstructed view seats of the coliseum), a Cowboys training camp, and a Pink Floyd concert (one of the dogs of war hit the floor). Despite its flaws, the Alamo Dome syncs perfectly with the city--it's imperfect, so what, let's have margaritas and fun.

Please tell me someone had good cabrito, mole, or barbacoa.

TAFBSooner
12/3/2007, 09:51 PM
. . . the highest priced

Tailgating ''illegal'' on property except in one designated parking area.

When SA built the place they made a virtue out of the lack of land to put parking, and encouraged patrons to use the Park and Ride express bus service. We always used the bus to ride down to Fiesta every April, which gives you a chance to recover from the partying somewhat before driving.

Or if you stayed downtown, the dome was an easy walk. The Riverwalk isn't a bad "substitute" for tailgating.

I hope the Big XII brings the title game back to San Antonio.

opksooner
12/3/2007, 09:58 PM
It had to be better than KC and minus 10 degrees. St. Louis dome might have been okay, but not for this particular game....
Errr, uhhh............it was 64 degrees in KC Saturday evening....outside!

ultimatesooner1
12/3/2007, 10:18 PM
Big rectangle, poorly lighted playing surface, with ridiculously narrow corridors - especially at the corners. No side gate entrances, wholly undermanned and overpriced concession stands and the highest priced

Loud sound system. Good PA announcer. Small "busy" scoreboard strips. Good videoscreens, horrible replays. Very sterile and manufactured around property but Riverwalk close. Tailgating ''illegal'' on property except in one designated parking area.

and light years better than the crap hole known as Kansas City

SoonerShark
12/3/2007, 10:20 PM
Errr, uhhh............it was 64 degrees in KC Saturday evening....outside!

It was nice in 2004, too, but it was darn cold in 2000, 2003 and 2006. The championship game should simulate the weather of the bowls four weeks later. In 2003, OU's QB was hurt in the cold weather game, which affected the rest of the game and the championship game against LSU.